Dodgers 2021 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 393, 394, 395  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject:

I think the team is all set for a repeat, health is the only thing standing in the way.

Next off-season we need to figure out Seager and Walker’s extensions.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
5m
Brewers offered about the same $34M over 2 years for Justin Turner, and also made a 3-year bid with a somewhat lower annual salary. Also, Wisconsin tax is lower than California tax. So overall, good try.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Barring something unforeseen, it really does appear like the roster is pretty set. The depth and coverage at every position is really remarkable. We have one of the best-hitting catchers in the game in Smith, and if something happened to him, at least we have a backup that the pitchers trust in Barnes. At first base we have Muncy, and if anything happened to him, we'd have a high-power option in Rios to spell him. At second base, we're hoping for a breakout from Lux, who has high-end potential, but if he fails again, Chris Taylor is a top-10 fallback option at the position. At short, if something happened to Seager, you have Taylor (or Lux) capable of going there. At third, with Turner back, you now have coverage there with Rios in reserve. In left, it's Pollock, but Taylor can certainly play out there, as can McKinstry and even Beaty. In center we have Bellinger, but Taylor or even Pollock can play there, and in right, of course there's the future Hall Of Famer, Betts.

The starting pitching depth is obviously ridiculous, as May and Gonsolin were solid starters for us in '20 and now don't even have rotation spots this season, unless we flip to a 6-man rotation at some point. Bauer and Price take their spots, and while there is no guarantee that they will outpitch the ERA's of May/Gonsolin a season ago, they should pitch more innings and they should also offer more in the postseason.

There's no guarantee of anything in a sport that has as much variance as the baseball postseason does, but we look stacked on paper with JT's return. It also means we can keep the right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left balance of the starting lineup.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject:

Still haven’t addressed the need of a right handed power bat and a full time closer to replace Jensen.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Still haven’t addressed the need of a right handed power bat and a full time closer to replace Jensen.

Any remaining weaknesses will be addressed at the trade deadine.

I think we’re done with making moves.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject:

I think Graterol will become full time closer but I’m sure the FO/management will try to get every bit of good pitching out of Kenley that they can.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Lol today's daytime high is 3° for Milwaukee, WI and in LA a mild 68°, no way Turner's old lady would have approved JT to sign there especially if the offers were comparable as it was reported.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Turner was the right-handed hitter they needed to keep; had he left, we would've needed another righty hitter. Turner may not be a 30-40 HR masher, but he's a perfect fit in the heart of the order and someone you always feel good about when he comes up. We now have 4 righties and 4 lefties in the projected starting lineup against right-handed pitching, and Betts/Turner/Smith/Pollock is a pretty good foursome of hitters to have from the right side, and if Taylor is starting, he can hold his own as well.

As for Jansen, we'll probably do what we did last year. We know he's not very reliable for big postseason saves, but we can likely get through a regular season with him as the primary closer. We have other options during the regular season, as Treinen and Knebel have closing experience, not to mention the possible ascension of Graterol, though he needs to develop a much better secondary pitch. During the postseason, there's always the possibility of deplying Urias there again for big games. And, of course, there's always the possibility of a trade during the season.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Turner was the right-handed hitter they needed to keep; had he left, we would've needed another righty hitter. Turner may not be a 30-40 HR masher, but he's a perfect fit in the heart of the order and someone you always feel good about when he comes up. We now have 4 righties and 4 lefties in the projected starting lineup against right-handed pitching, and Betts/Turner/Smith/Pollock is a pretty good foursome of hitters to have from the right side, and if Taylor is starting, he can hold his own as well.

As for Jansen, we'll probably do what we did last year. We know he's not very reliable for big postseason saves, but we can likely get through a regular season with him as the primary closer. We have other options during the regular season, as Treinen and Knebel have closing experience, not to mention the possible ascension of Graterol, though he needs to develop a much better secondary pitch. During the postseason, there's always the possibility of deplying Urias there again for big games. And, of course, there's always the possibility of a trade during the season.

I would definitely give Urias the Maeda treatment and thats a good thing. 4 reliable veteran starters in Kersh, Buehler, Bauer and Price with a reliable pen arm in Urias who I can argue is as valuable as any of the starters come postseason. Ive seen too many mlb postseason meltdowns when the game was "over" to know how valuable Urias/Maeda are. 1986 Red Sox, 2004 Yankees and 2011 Rangers know what that is like.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Great move bringing JT back, Go Dodgers!
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Dodgers buy out Austin Barnes’ final 2 arbitration years. Seems like we’ll end up having control over Barnes for 10 years.

We got Barnes and Kike at the same time in the Dee Gordon trade. Kike became a free agent this year while Barnes has 2 more years.

Yup, just looked at at his stats. He came up in 2015. So, 8 years total. I’m going to guess that these 8 years of team control probably cost like $8M total, maybe even less.

Quote:
Austin Barnes settles arbitration case with Dodgers.
$4.3M, 2 years

Signing bonus - $300,000

$1,500,000 - 2021

$2,500,000 - 2022
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Austin Barnes, king of WS Game 6's.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I think Graterol will become full time closer but I’m sure the FO/management will try to get every bit of good pitching out of Kenley that they can.

Everyone is forgetting Victor Gonzalez. I wouldn't sleep on him ultimately being our closer.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Everyone is forgetting Victor Gonzalez. I wouldn't sleep on him ultimately being our closer.

I do like him, but the sample size is still so small on him. Hope he can keep it up. He was wonderful last season.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject:

You’re right, I feel bad I forgot about him because he was great in October. I guess it shows how deep our pitching is (and maybe shows that my memory failing me ).
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:23 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
You’re right, I feel bad I forgot about him because he was great in October. I guess it shows how deep our pitching is (and maybe shows that my memory failing me ).

He should be the top lefty in the bullpen this year. Jansen will begin as the closer, and Treinen will be the first setup guy behind him. Then I would imagine Knebel would be the third righty, ahead of Graterol, if he looks good in spring training/early in the season. A little seniority there. Gonzalez should be the top lefty and be in that 6th/7th inning mix, just depending on who is coming up in the order. I would imagine that we will use May and Gonsolin if a starter doesn't get deep into a game, or they could also be used as more traditional relievers for 1-inning stints if some of the top relief options need a day or two off.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dave Roberts: Dodgers’ Starting Pitching Depth ‘Very Good Thing’

During their current run of eight consecutive NL West titles, the Dodgers have used an average of 12 starting pitchers per season. That number may very well increase this year given the uncertainty of how players will respond with the longer schedule and bigger workload.

Quote:
Alanna Rizzo faced unwelcome advances from former Los Angeles Dodgers players

In a telephone interview Friday from Massachusetts, Rizzo spoke at length about the garbage she dealt with during six seasons as the Dodgers’ reporter for SportsNet LA. In January, she announced she was leaving the job for new opportunities closer to home.

“I was very well taken care of,” Rizzo said. “I have no ill will toward the Dodgers.”

She does, however, have stories.

In Rizzo’s first season with the team in 2014, one player sent her an inappropriate photo. She reported the incident to team officials. The following year, a different player “constantly” requested she interview him in his hotel room. A third player asked her out to dinner multiple times.

The Dodgers declined to comment for this story.

None of the players are still active in Major League Baseball. Their actions weren’t criminal, but they made the clubhouse a less relaxed working environment for the female reporters in the room.

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject:

Alanna was an excellent reporter. Sorry to hear she is leaving.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Dave Roberts: Dodgers’ Starting Pitching Depth ‘Very Good Thing’

During their current run of eight consecutive NL West titles, the Dodgers have used an average of 12 starting pitchers per season. That number may very well increase this year given the uncertainty of how players will respond with the longer schedule and bigger workload.

Quote:
Alanna Rizzo faced unwelcome advances from former Los Angeles Dodgers players

In a telephone interview Friday from Massachusetts, Rizzo spoke at length about the garbage she dealt with during six seasons as the Dodgers’ reporter for SportsNet LA. In January, she announced she was leaving the job for new opportunities closer to home.

“I was very well taken care of,” Rizzo said. “I have no ill will toward the Dodgers.”

She does, however, have stories.

In Rizzo’s first season with the team in 2014, one player sent her an inappropriate photo. She reported the incident to team officials. The following year, a different player “constantly” requested she interview him in his hotel room. A third player asked her out to dinner multiple times.

The Dodgers declined to comment for this story.

None of the players are still active in Major League Baseball. Their actions weren’t criminal, but they made the clubhouse a less relaxed working environment for the female reporters in the room.

Can't say I'm surprised....I mean the Phillie Phanatic tried to take her out....
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject:

^
Rizzo was really good at her job, and I was bummed when she announced that she was leaving. This makes it especially disappointing.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Fernando Tatis Jr. and the Padres are in agreement on a 14-year, $340 million contract extension.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1362216170171080705
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Must be nice giving out contracts they have no intention of ever seeing thru the entire 14 years.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Must be nice giving out contracts they have no intention of ever seeing thru the entire 14 years.

So they basically gave him a Mookie Betts contract. Hey, good for him. Even though his free agent market value in 4 or 5 years could be quite a bit higher than this, there is no way in hell that you can turn down that kind of money as such a young player. It also makes Ronald Acuna look like a damn fool for accepting as little as he did from the Braves. Yeah, that's a lot of money, but he truly undersold himself.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Tatis Jr hasn’t even played 162 games! And they had 4 years of control left! This contract is a huge risk, and they can’t eat it if it goes south. It could also end up being a huge bargain too if he maintains his trajectory, but still, wow!

Saw this on Reddit:
Quote:
Yasiel Puig had a 151 OPS+ and 5.9 WAR/650 after 252 games aged 23. If the Dodgers had signed him on this deal then, they would still owe him money through 2028. Stuff happens.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

So they basically gave him a Mookie Betts contract. Hey, good for him. Even though his free agent market value in 4 or 5 years could be quite a bit higher than this, there is no way in hell that you can turn down that kind of money as such a young player. It also makes Ronald Acuna look like a damn fool for accepting as little as he did from the Braves. Yeah, that's a lot of money, but he truly undersold himself.

I look at market size and the the money behind the team. Padres have new ownership but I just can't see them keeping him the entire 14 years unless he is like a Tony Gwynn. They will most likely jettison him to a team that can actually afford massive contracts like the Yankees or Red Sox if things go south. It will probably end up like the A-Rod contract that the Rangers gave him at the time which was the richest in baseball but one they could never really afford to keep on the books.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:15 am; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 20 of 395
Jump to: