View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
I already miss Joc.

Losing Kemp after he was one of the best hitters in all of baseball 2nd half of 2014 really pissed me off because I knew Pederson was likely nowhere the caliber of hitter of Kemp. Then in 2015 after his hot start, he hit 0.210, I knew I was right. And keep in mind the homerun by Kemp off the Cardinals sidewinder in Game 2 of 2014 NLDS to win that game so it isnt like The Bison was not clutch either and Joc frankly was never anywhere close to Kemp at his best. But Man did Young Joc prove himself in the playoffs. Another level, another gear and I knew I could get great at-bats out of him come playoff time.

So much clutchness going around, how the hell did we only win 1???? But hey, we got many more to go. It certainly not like the 90s Dodgers that would fold in important games and the only players I trusted in big moments was Eric Karros and Ramon Martinez

We were cheated out of one.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I already miss Joc.

He was the greatest teammate for HR celebrations. Dude brought the hype every time one of boys jacked one.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Outstanding find LongbeachPoly. Very enjoyable read.

Wow is all I can say.

I am as usual in agreement with jonnybravo, what a great article LBP. Thank you for posting it.

Much love to Joc, who can begrudge a guy for having the belief and love of the game in himself to want to play every day?

Great man, Great Dodger and love how he described the Dodgers treatment of his brother and family in general, great read.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Mets offered three years at $105 million with what was believed to be $40 million in each of the first two years and the chance to opt out after each — the annual value would have come in at $35 million, just below Gerrit Cole’s record $36 million.

The Dodger deal is for three years at $102 million. It pays Bauer $40 million in Year 1 and $45 million in Year 2 and he can opt out after either.

Quote:
Bauer is probably in for at least two years before skipping out (with health) on the $17 million due in the 2023 final season. The Dodgers have about $87 million due off their books after this year, namely with Clayton Kershaw, Kenley Jansen and Corey Seager free agents.

They will have to retain or replace Kershaw and Seager. But by the time they must decide on Cody Bellinger and Walker Buehler, Bauer and his big paydays are likely to be gone from the books.

Quote:
When Steve Cohen held his introductory press conference as Mets owner on Nov. 10, he mentioned the Dodgers as the team he wants his franchise to emulate.

Quote:
Because Bauer turned down an $18.9 million qualifying offer, Los Angeles will forfeit its second-highest pick in the July amateur draft and $500,000 of international signing bonus allocation.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject:

The greatest no-hitter ever thrown: Hideo Nomo vs the 1996 Blake Street Bombers at their apex in Coors. What that place did to Darryl Kile and Mike Hampton....unbelievable. There will never in the history of baseball be another no-hitter as impressive as this one.

Which is why it was all the more disappointing with his playoff performances vs the "Power and Speed" Reds of 1995 and the Powerhouse Braves at their best in 1996.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject:

Greats Joc read but bet my life he’s being conned by the Cubs. Every day LF unless he’s hitting .150? I’ll believe it when I see it.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject:

Assuming JT signs, who would be our best defensive option at 3B that we have right now?

---George Carlin
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject:

If he’s healthy I have faith in JT’s defense. I learned my lesson last season when I thought he was washed and then in October nothing could get past him.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
MLB officially announced the first Spring Training workout dates. Dodgers pitchers and catchers' first workout will be Feb. 18 and their first full-squad workout will be Feb. 23.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DodgerInsider/status/1359245864263327745
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Greats Joc read but bet my life he’s being conned by the Cubs. Every day LF unless he’s hitting .150? I’ll believe it when I see it.

I have no problem with Joc leaving...sometimes you gotta leave something to realize how good you had it. I have no doubt his individual stats will have an uptick in numbers but he won't have those deep playoff runs he has taken for granted.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject:

I don’t think Joc’s first choice would have been to leave. But after the trade that fell apart last year the writing was on the wall, the organization wasn’t gonna keep him/make an offer. I hope he has a great year and rest of his career. I’ll always appreciate the big home runs he’s hit for us, especially in Joctober.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Snipes wrote:

I have no problem with Joc leaving...sometimes you gotta leave something to realize how good you had it. I have no doubt his individual stats will have an uptick in numbers but he won't have those deep playoff runs he has taken for granted.

I think we all knew this year he would be gone so it was easy to come to terms with it. I just hope he gets a full time role as the Cubs have apparently promised. I just don’t believe it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Snipes wrote:

I think we all knew this year he would be gone so it was easy to come to terms with it. I just hope he gets a full time role as the Cubs have apparently promised. I just don’t believe it.

Both sides knew the relationship was over when they tried to trade him to the Angels. Maybe he will come back to the Dodgers in the future but for now I'm fine with him leaving in free agency.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Dodgers Have Inquired on Marlins’ First Baseman Garrett Cooper

Another right-handed bat that could be an indication of JT’s status.

Los Angeles reportedly has inquired with the Marlins on first baseman/outfielder Garrett Cooper. His presence in the lineup and on the bench would likely mean that Justin Turner would no longer be an option, so he can probably be viewed as the contingency plan.

Cooper has been very productive for the Marlins over the last 2 years. albeit in very limited showings. Between 2019 and 2020, Cooper combined to slash .281/.347/.459 with an OPS of .806 in 141 games. If he were to land with the Dodgers, he would likely represent the option at first base against left-handed pitching. Cooper crushed southpaws in 2020 with 14 hits in 40 at-bats.

The Dodgers’ interest in him would also probably mean that Max Muncy and Edwin Rios would take over responsibility at third base. Against right-handed pitching, Muncy or Rios would play the hot corner.
At this point, it’s unclear how serious the inquiry is, but Turner would likely need to land somewhere else to make it happen. At age 30, Cooper has 3 total seasons of team control left. He would also cost just $1.9 million against the luxury tax.

Quote:
Dodgers, Padres Have Shown Interest In Garrett Cooper

-The Padres have also shown interest in Cooper, tweets Mish, who adds that “no shortage of teams” have called the Marlins about him in the wake of the Duvall agreement. Trading for Cooper would be the latest notable offseason move by the Padres, who have aggressively tried to chase down the division-rival Dodgers throughout the winter.

-The Marlins are adding Adam Duvall to their outfield, and that pickup could push Garrett Cooper out of Miami. Cooper’s status with the team is in question now that Duvall is coming aboard, according to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald. The Dodgers have already inquired about Cooper, Craig Mish of SportsGrid reports.

Whether Miami would seriously consider trading Cooper is unknown, but it could deem him redundant because of the Duvall signing. Both players are right-handed hitters capable of lining up in the corner outfield, and though Cooper has mostly been a first baseman, the Marlins have another righty starter there in Jesus Aguilar. If there is no universal DH in 2021, Cooper could wind up elsewhere.

Cooper, who turned 30 on Christmas Day, has been a productive and affordable part of the Marlins’ offense over the past couple years. He was certainly among their best hitters last season, in which he slashed .283/.353/.500 (134 wRC+) with six home runs in 133 plate appearances. His history of mixing respectable offense (114 career wRC+) with defensive versatility, not to mention his three remaining years of team control and $1.9MM salary in 2021, would figure to make him a quality trade chip for Miami.

The Dodgers are known for placing high value on players who can line up at multiple positions, so Cooper would seem to fit in with the reigning World Series champions. He could perhaps see time at first base along with the likes of Max Muncy, Cody Bellinger and Edwin Rios, and would join Bellinger, Mookie Betts, Chris Taylor and AJ Pollock as outfield-capable veterans on the Dodgers’ roster.

Quote:
Cooper is under team control via salary arbitration through the 2024 season. The Torrance, Calif., native made his MLB debut in 2017 with the New York Yankees, and spent parts of the past three seasons with the Marlins.

Cooper appeared in a career-high 107 games during the 2019 season, batting .281/.344/.446 with 16 doubles, 15 home runs and 50 RBI. He followed that up by hitting .283/.353/.500 with six home runs and a 130 OPS+ in 34 games last season.

The 30-year-old has played first base, left field and right field. With the Dodgers he likely would be an option off the bench and potential candidate to serve as a regular designated hitter should it return to the National League this season.

Cooper has relatively even splits, with a career .807 on-base plus slugging percentage against left-handed pitching.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:37 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Snipes wrote:

He'll likely start out as playing LF vs. righties, similar to how they used Schwarber.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject:

Padres are being a PITA, they're like the Clippers of the MLB, always envying Dodgers and going after everyone Dodgers are rumored to be after, just like the Clips with Lakers.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Padres are being a PITA, they're like the Clippers of the MLB, always envying Dodgers and going after everyone Dodgers are rumored to be after, just like the Clips with Lakers.

Way more successful as a franchise tho. I have far more respect for the Padres than I do the Clippers. they have really turned things around.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Way more successful as a franchise tho. I have far more respect for the Padres than I do the Clippers. they have really turned things around.

Preller is still a nobody and garbage compared to Friedman, not to mention Friedman completely ripped him off with the Kemp for Grandal trade
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Who have we lost so far?

- Kike
- Joc
- Wood

Anyone else?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Who have we lost so far?

- Kike
- Joc
- Wood

Anyone else?

Baez
McGee
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Ken Rosenthal
@Ken_Rosenthal
The Dodgers have avoided arbitration with RHP Walker Buehler, signing him to a two-year, $8M contract, a source tells @TheAthletic. The deal includes a $2M signing bonus, $2.75M salary in 2021 and $3.25M salary in ‘22.

Cheap

Quote:
Report: Mets believe they had deal with Bauer before Dodgers

As far as the New York Mets are concerned, Trevor Bauer left them at the altar.

The Mets believe they had a contract fully agreed to with the reigning National League Cy Young Award winner in the final 24 hours of his free agency, sources told Joel Sherman of the New York Post.

Bauer signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers instead.

The Mets worked closely on Thursday with Jon Fetterolf, one of Bauer's agents, and felt they were finalizing details of a contract.

However, Bauer never signed a "term sheet" document with the Mets that would have essentially formalized the agreed-to terms on paper, according to Sherman.

For Mets president Sandy Alderson, who's spent almost four decades in baseball operations, this appears to be uncharted territory.

Alderson said he's never failed to close a deal after progressing as far as he did in negotiations with Bauer, a source told Sherman.

The Mets reportedly offered Bauer a three-year, $105-million contract - some $3-million more than what he ultimately took from the Dodgers.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject:

^
It's pretty apparent that we swooped in and offered him more money in the first two seasons, and the Mets were apparently unwilling or unable to match that. And maybe he would have picked us anyway, if both offers were equal in that respect, with as much money in the first two seasons and with more money in the second season and with opt-outs after both the first season and the second season.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dodgers: Clayton Kershaw Unsure of an Extension With Los Angeles

Kershaw is entering his age 33 season in the final year of a 3-year deal. He opted out of his last contract in 2018 that had 2 years remaining in order to get another guaranteed year. But as of right now, there have been no conversations with the Dodgers to get him extended beyond this year.

The LA Times Jorge Castillo recently spoke with the veteran southpaw and future Hall of Fame pitcher about his career moving forward. For Kershaw, there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding his future with the Dodgers and with baseball in general. When asked if he wanted an extension from Los Angeles, his answer was short but worrisome for fans.

“I don’t know. Honestly, I wish I had an answer.“

Kershaw went on to explain how much he loves Los Angeles and how thankful he is to be a part of the organization. But his family has always been his number one priority, and the kids are growing up. Traveling to LA to play for the Dodgers means pulling them out of their schools and taking them on road trips all season. Now that their oldest is 6 years old, there are questions about the future.

The only question now is what Clayton wants. If he wants to play baseball but is tired of the grind and complications of Los Angeles, maybe he finishes out his career in Dallas.

Quote:
Dodgers still in upper third of MLB farm system rankings

LA rated the No. 9 farm system by Baseball America, 10th by The Athletic.

Quote:
Dodgers Baseball America rankings

YEAR BA ORG RANK
2014 - 14
2015 - 3
2016 - 1
2017 - 2
2018 - 9
2019 - 9
2020 - 3
2021 - 9

Still, the depth remains a strength of the system. On a Baseball America podcast in January, Kyle Glaser estimated the Dodgers currently have 37 or 38 prospects in the system who could one day reach the majors.

“As much as we talk about the Dodgers flexing their financial muscle, their successful draft strategy hasn’t revolved around money but good scouting and good player development after the fact,” Law wrote. “Buehler, May, Lux, Will Smith, now Michael Busch — these guys were all available to other teams, sometimes more than once. The Dodgers are a behemoth, not just rich, but well-run (and also rich).”

Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Schools finish in June. Kids are still young. It’s not a grind at all. I don’t see him wanting to go play in Texas for the sake of it he’s too competitive. It comes down to us wanting to retain him and at what cost. If the Rangers are stupid enough to offer him a ridiculous contract he will be a Ranger - that would be the only reason.

Again this is jsut my opinion

Hope we retain him but it depends on what he can do this year. If he does what he did last year I don’t mind a 2/50 extension.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Schools finish in June. Kids are still young. It’s not a grind at all. I don’t see him wanting to go play in Texas for the sake of it he’s too competitive. It comes down to us wanting to retain him and at what cost. If the Rangers are stupid enough to offer him a ridiculous contract he will be a Ranger - that would be the only reason.

Again this is jsut my opinion

Hope we retain him but it depends on what he can do this year. If he does what he did last year I don’t mind a 2/50 extension.

At least Kenly and hopefully Pollock can be dumped after this season to offset such an offer to Clayton. For 2022, we still have 5 or 6 capable starting pitchers in the fold and are equipped to deal with the loss of CK if he gets a fat offer elsewhere.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 18 of 395
Jump to: