oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Dodgers: Kiké Herandez Signs Multi-Year Deal With the Boston Red Sox
Kiké’s time in Los Angeles has come to an end.

For some Dodgers fans around Los Angeles, today is a very sad day. Kiké Herandez has become a fan favorite around Chavez Ravine over the last few years, winning over the hearts of fans with his sparkling personality and humor.

Unfortunately for those fans, Kiké will not be returning to the Dodgers. The free-agent super-utility man has reportedly signed a new deal with the Red Sox today that is for 2 years. The news comes just hours after it was reported that the 2 sides could have a deal done by this weekend. He will be paid $14 million in the deal, per Mark Feinsand.

2 years $14M is pretty reasonable.

Taylor got 2 yrs $13.4M last year and he was still under team control.

I'm really sad. $7M a year for a clutch AF hitter that can play every position. Man, just figured we could squeeze him in. I figured he'd cash in big if he left but $7M just feels like we should have kept him...

It may not have been just about the money for him. He's probably going to get to play every day over in Boston as opposed to being the utility guy here.

Definitely does suck though as he was such a great dude to have around the team. Regardless of his contributions on the field, his value in the clubhouse keeping guys loose can't be measured.

It also didn't hurt that he came up clutch for us many a times.

He will be missed but he'll always be a Dodger.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:

For some Dodgers fans around Los Angeles, today is a very sad day. Kiké Herandez has become a fan favorite around Chavez Ravine over the last few years, winning over the hearts of fans with his sparkling personality and humor.

Unfortunately for those fans, Kiké will not be returning to the Dodgers. The free-agent super-utility man has reportedly signed a new deal with the Red Sox today that is for 2 years. The news comes just hours after it was reported that the 2 sides could have a deal done by this weekend. He will be paid $14 million in the deal, per Mark Feinsand.

I'm really sad. $7M a year for a clutch AF hitter that can play every position. Man, just figured we could squeeze him in. I figured he'd cash in big if he left but $7M just feels like we should have kept him...

It may not have been just about the money for him. He's probably going to get to play every day over in Boston as opposed to being the utility guy here.

Definitely does suck though as he was such a great dude to have around the team. Regardless of his contributions on the field, his value in the clubhouse keeping guys loose can't be measured.

It also didn't hurt that he came up clutch for us many a times.

He will be missed but he'll always be a Dodger.

100%. Hope he makes his rounds trying to secure the bag so he can spend his last few years playing back with us.

The core group of guys for the last few years will always have a special place in my heart. Damn...not Kike...
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:52 am    Post subject:

Yeah the writing was on the wall here once they gave Taylor an extension before last season. It was never likely that they would keep both guys, as they both function as super-utility guys who were on the same contract timeline. And if we don't make another move, this should give Lux the chance for more AB's, although I suppose he could fall flat on his face (again).

Still, Kike will obviously be missed. He should get a chance for everyday AB's with the Red Sox, unless he proves to be a major liability against righties (which is not out of the question).
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
The core group of guys for the last few years will always have a special place in my heart. Damn...not Kike...

Right now, only 8 players remain from that 2017 team:

1) Buehler
2) Kershaw
3) Jansen
4) Urias
5) Barnes
6) Bellinger
7) Seager
8) Taylor

9) JT - if he re-signs
10) Brandon Morrow, but he already left (and was only here for 1 year) so I don’t count him as being a part of our "core"
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject:

Bummer to lose Kike, especially to the Red Sox.

I guess that is what happens though when you are on a team that has been so good for so long.

Much love to Kike for what he did in a Dodger uniform, I am going to miss that guy.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Sad to see Kike go.. wish him the best and really wish he got paid more since he was leaving anyways. Going to miss our motor! All the best Kike!!
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:

Man when he tied that game vs the Braves in the 7th not an ounce in me was surprised. So clutch.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Over the last three years, Kiké's WAR (BB-R) has been 3.3, 2.2, and 1 (over 60 games, which would be 2.7 over 162 games). Using last year's projected WAR over a full season, he averaged 2.7 WAR (rounded) over the last three years.

For $7M per???

Last edited by ribeye on Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Packers' Davante Adams, Dodgers' Joc Pederson formed dynamic receiver duo in high school

In 2021, Davante Adams has a case as the best wide receiver in the NFL. In 2009, his junior year of high school, Adams wasn't even the best wideout on his team.

There was a senior at Palo Alto High School during the 2009 football season who put up better numbers than Adams. He's not in the NFL now, though. He didn't even play football after that season.

The senior's name? Joc Pederson. Yes, that Joc Pederson, the former Dodgers outfielder and power hitter in Major League Baseball who's currently a free agent.

Quote:

Ballplayer City
@BallplayerCity

Davante Adams and Joc Pederson played high school football together. During Joc’s senior year he was WR1, while Adams was WR2.

Pederson: 30 receptions, 650 yards, 9 TDs
Adams: 25 receptions, 484 yards, 7 TDs
This is crazy 🤯

Pederson's football career ended in that 2009 fall, and he was taken by the Dodgers in the 11th round of the 2010 MLB First-Year Player Draft. He rose through the system as a power-speed threat in the outfield, and he's displayed light-tower power in the big leagues, including a career-high 36 home runs in 2019.

Baseball success hasn't stopped Pederson from being interested in football, though. In 2016, he asked the Rams for a tryout, saying that he'd compare his high school self to Adams' former Green Bay teammate, Jordy Nelson.

Quote:

Joc Pederson
@yungjoc650

I miss football...can I get a tryout @RamsNFL something like Tebows? High school comparison Jordy Nelson #offseasonjob

Check out the article to see a video of Joc playing HS football.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/davante-adams-joc-pederson-high-school/v7oaoqgepdiu1jzss23bgts0z
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Brad Hand signs a $10.5MM deal for one year with the Nationals. Had been a possible Dodgers target. Worth noting that every team in MLB passed on the opportunity to claim him for $10MM once the Indians released him.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Brad Hand signs a $10.5MM deal for one year with the Nationals. Had been a possible Dodgers target. Worth noting that every team in MLB passed on the opportunity to claim him for $10MM once the Indians released him.

Yeah that’s weird how he got a raise
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sources: MLBPA rejects MLB's proposal of universal DH, expanded playoffs

Quote:
Michael Busch rated as the No. 5 second base prospect in baseball per MLB.com, and the most power at the position. “Busch could provide 25 or more homers on an annual basis thanks to his knack for barreling balls, his combination of bat speed and strength, and his polished approach,” Jim Callis wrote. In addition Zach McKinstry earned honorable mention, with Callis noting, “McKinstry has the potential for average or better tools across the board and is capable of playing all over the infield and outfield.”

Quote:
Jim Callis, Jonathan Mayo and Mike Rosenbaum at MLB.com picked a defensive standout for all 30 MLB teams, and shortstop Jacob Amaya was named the best defensive prospect in the Dodgers minor league system.

This video describes Busch as a “Max Muncy type with higher batting average”

https://www.mlb.com/dodgers/video/top-prospects-michael-busch
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject:

Glad they decided to get rid of the expanded playoffs, I feel like it would further favor “hot teams” over the “better teams” in a playoff format that already does that to an extent.

As for universal DH, I kinda liked it. I hope that gets revisited during the next bargaining agreement.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Some JT news from Jon Heyman...

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
3m
The Brewers are one of two mystery teams showing interest in Justin Turner. Dodgers, Jays and one more mystery contender are in the derby. Turner will only consider contenders but has a final 4.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Marcus Semien signed with the Blue Jays, for one year and $18MM. He had been mentioned as a possible Dodger target (mostly if we didn't bring back JT), and since the Blue Jays were one of the teams in on JT, it seems that him coming back to us just got a bit more likely.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Mets offer to free agent pitcher Trevor Bauer would approach record-setting average annual contract

Bob Nightengale
USA TODAY

The New York Mets have formally offered free-agent starter Trevor Bauer a contract that would make him one of baseball’s highest-paid players on an annual average salary, a person with direct knowledge of the negotiations told USA TODAY Sports.

The deal would approach -- but not eclipse -- New York Yankees pitcher Gerrit Cole’s $36 million average value on his nine-year, $324 million contract signed a year ago, and it would be much shorter in length, said the person, who was granted anonymity because of the on-going negotiations.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Over the last three years, Kiké's WAR (BB-R) has been 3.3, 2.2, and 1 (over 60 games, which would be 2.7 over 162 games). Using last year's projected WAR over a full season, he averaged 2.7 WAR (rounded) over the last three years.

For $7M per???

Don't torture me .
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject:

Damn, we aint getting (bleep) done this offseason, status quo or slightly worse off than a year ago probably means no repeat.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Damn, we aint getting (bleep) done this offseason, status quo or slightly worse off than a year ago probably means no repeat.

Well, we started off with the best roster in baseball.

We do have alot of room for improvement even with the “status quo”

1) Bellinger had a bad year last year
2) Muncy had a terrible year
3) Lux contributed nothing
4) May and Gonsolin should improve
5) Urias might take another step forward
6) Price is back
7) Graterol might take another step forward
8) Rios might take another step forward, or at least get more ABs.
9) Buehler was inconsistent during the regular season
10) Joe Kelly didn’t give us anything all year
11) Zach McKinstry might be able to fill the Kike role

So yeah, even if we stay with the same roster, we still have lots of room for internal improvement
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject:

We're just waiting for the JT domino to fall. If he's back, we pretty much have our lineup. If he goes elsewhere, then I'm sure that Friedman will start activating his contingency plans. I'm sure we've worked on possible trade deals to bring someone in. It shouldn't take too much to get Kris Bryant, given his high salary for this year. He would be a bounce-back candidate. Eugenio Suarez of the Reds could be available. The A's are another team apparently bleeding money, and they've lost several key free agents this offseason, so I wonder if a blockbuster deal for Matt Chapman could be in play. (And the Dodgers and A's have matched up on deals before on Friedman's watch.) Chapman is just starting to make some "real money" in arb, with a $6.49MM number for '21, so as he starts to get more expensive, perhaps the A's would consider moving him for a nice haul, you never know.

Those are just 3 examples, but I'm sure Friedman has worked behind the scenes to lay the framework for certain moves if JT isn't back.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Why is JT being our headline this off season? The dude is washed up, I get it, you sign him for sentimental value, but hardly should be the focus of this team. While Padres are loading up we have already lost Kike, and now our inky focus is a washed up JT?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Why is JT being our headline this off season? The dude is washed up, I get it, you sign him for sentimental value, but hardly should be the focus of this team. While Padres are loading up we have already lost Kike, and now our inky focus is a washed up JT?

He had an .860 OPS and a 135 OPS+ last season. He's not in his prime but he's still a very, very good hitter. And a tough out, sees pitches, and fits into the approach we like our hitters to take. Also the heart and soul of the clubhouse. On a 2-year deal it's a fine move. On a 4-year deal it's a total no-go, unless the AAV is so low that they just structure it that way to lessen the annual cap hit.

I want him back, if it's a reasonable deal.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Just feel depressing other teams are loading up and the best we’re hoping for is JT coming back on a reasonable deal. What about Corey Seager? Isn’t he a free agent? I’m also not a big fan of Belly, he has trouble adjusting his batting style the entire season, hate that hit or miss golf swing.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Just feel depressing other teams are loading up and the best we’re hoping for is JT coming back on a reasonable deal. What about Corey Seager? Isn’t he a free agent? I’m also not a big fan of Belly, he has trouble adjusting his batting style the entire season, hate that hit or miss golf swing.

Seager is a free agent after this coming season.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Other teams are loading up to try to match up with us who already ARE loaded up.

Seager and Buehler are due for huge paydays soon so it's wise to keep financial flexibility for them.

And Belly is a stud man. Think about all he can do:

- he can hit for power
- he's one of the fastest guys in the league
- he can play any outfield position and first base at a gold glove level

And he's still super young. Yeah, his inability to hit away from the shift irks me but given all the things he can do...stud.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 13 of 395
Jump to: