What’s the worth of these?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: What’s the worth of these?

Hi all, need some advice from a collector or knowledgeable Laker fan.

I have about 50 VHS tapes of Lakers Championship years of playoff games in entire decade of 80’s (80,82,85,87,88 Finals & Western Conference playoffs) & (2000-01-02 Finals & Western Conference playoffs) majority of tapes have 2 games per tape & every game is a WIN in entire collection! I believe I also have the 2009 & 2010 Finals too, all WINS.

I’m clearing out my man cave & thinking about selling the collection cause even though my son is as much as a fan as I, don’t believe he wants them?

So asking for some help from a person who knows the value of this sorta collection to give me an idea of what their worth is & possibly selling them & if I get a good offer, of course I would give you all the first shot at them before I’d put them on EBay. So if anyone has an idea of their worth before I decide what to do with them I’d appreciate if you posted here or IM me. If anyone is interested & wanna make an offer or have any questions I’d be willing to answer any request.

Thanx in advance, LAKERMIKE2... 🏀 🏆 👍 💯 🙂
HC: Riley
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth of these?

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

I have about 50 VHS tapes of Lakers Championship years of playoff games in entire decade of 80’s (80,82,85,87,88 Finals & Western Conference playoffs) & (2000-01-02 Finals & Western Conference playoffs) majority of tapes have 2 games per tape & every game is a WIN in entire collection! I believe I also have the 2009 & 2010 Finals too, all WINS.

I’m clearing out my man cave & thinking about selling the collection cause even though my son is as much as a fan as I, don’t believe he wants them?

So asking for some help from a person who knows the value of this sorta collection to give me an idea of what their worth is & possibly selling them & if I get a good offer, of course I would give you all the first shot at them before I’d put them on EBay. So if anyone has an idea of their worth before I decide what to do with them I’d appreciate if you posted here or IM me. If anyone is interested & wanna make an offer or have any questions I’d be willing to answer any request.

There are places that convert VHS tapes to DVD's, you should think about doing that...

Home taping was meant for private use only, I'm no lawyer, but you might run into legal trouble trying to sell them...
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth of these?

unleasHell wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

There are places that convert VHS tapes to DVD's, you should think about doing that...

Home taping was meant for private use only, I'm no lawyer, but you might run into legal trouble trying to sell them...

Yes, first comment answer is I’m aware of that & have done it with family conversions.

Second comment & appreciate ur response is, if it’s broadcasted on TV there is no privacy problem & 100% confident no copywriting applies.

Being this was the weekend, I’ll wait for more replies before I decide what to do? Thanx though.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject:

People still own DVDs? Let alone VHS?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject:

If you can avoid copyright issues, I'd post these on YT, edit out commercials, and then just have it make $ over time.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth of these?

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
Second comment & appreciate ur response is, if it’s broadcasted on TV there is no privacy problem & 100% confident no copywriting applies.

Incorrect. This is why that standard message gets run on every sports broadcast. You are allowed to record it, but not to sell the recording.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth of these?

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

A lot of those years are well covered territory as far as playoffs are concerned. If you have something special like Chick overdubs instead of the standard CBS years broadcasts, maybe. There are still some playoff gms from 82-86 that are missing links as far as tape trading is concerned. If you have any Chick gms in that lot, especially from 80-87, that would be great. KCAL broadcasted some of them. Those are the ones I'd recommend you first make a list of. See what you got on those. I'd be willing to take a look, you can always PM me here. I would specifically want any Chick playoff gms from early 80s that I don't own. Your versions might also be upgrades of the ones that have been passed around for a long time, so they could be valued (intrinsically) if they've been sleeved all this time. I've transferred games from VHSes that were as old as 1981, so it's possible. VHSes have lasted longer than a lot expected. They were made much better in the early 80s than they were at the end of their reign.

Anyway, if you wanna attempt to actually sell anything (which is a no no to at least admit to in public, cough), the ones that a collector would want first would be any Chick gms that aren't around and/or can be upgraded by your versions. If I were you, I'd order them by year and catalog the early years first and look for Chick and then jot down the video quality of each (A-F scale) so you can know what you actually have.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
If you can avoid copyright issues, I'd post these on YT, edit out commercials, and then just have it make $ over time.

Thanx Mike, great idea, but I don’t have the time to edit out commercials of 50 tapes & hours of editing (although I seen a few with)...
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth of these?

non-player zealot wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

A lot of those years are well covered territory as far as playoffs are concerned. If you have something special like Chick overdubs instead of the standard CBS years broadcasts, maybe. There are still some playoff gms from 82-86 that are missing links as far as tape trading is concerned. If you have any Chick gms in that lot, especially from 80-87, that would be great. KCAL broadcasted some of them. Those are the ones I'd recommend you first make a list of. See what you got on those. I'd be willing to take a look, you can always PM me here. I would specifically want any Chick playoff gms from early 80s that I don't own. Your versions might also be upgrades of the ones that have been passed around for a long time, so they could be valued (intrinsically) if they've been sleeved all this time. I've transferred games from VHSes that were as old as 1981, so it's possible. VHSes have lasted longer than a lot expected. They were made much better in the early 80s than they were at the end of their reign.

Anyway, if you wanna attempt to actually sell anything (which is a no no to at least admit to in public, cough), the ones that a collector would want first would be any Chick gms that aren't around and/or can be upgraded by your versions. If I were you, I'd order them by year and catalog the early years first and look for Chick and then jot down the video quality of each (A-F scale) so you can know what you actually have.

Thanx for ur time, no Chick just original CBS Brent Musberger mostly.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth of these?

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

You can legally record a broadcast, but you cannot legally sell the recording you make.

If you try to peddle this on eBay, eBay will likely pull the plug on it very quickly. As far as YouTube, the NBA is cool with someone posting game highlights, but not full games. So you could probably edit what you have it a way it would get by.

You might be able to find some fan who will buy it, but you'll probably have to do that through networking on places like this rather than through a public auction site.

Because it's illegal to sell recordings, there aren't really any guidelines/appraisals on the value of something like this. Basically, it's 100% in the eye of the beholder.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth of these?

activeverb wrote:
As far as YouTube, the NBA is cool with someone posting game highlights, but not full games.

Within limits, tho. Anything Lakers from 2008 on is iffy because the NBA channel focuses on recent and current stuff. I think they want to keep us on our toes even tho we (uploaders) are putting up stuff that further advertises their association (as long as you don't monetize your vids, which I never have). However, there's no rhyme or reason as to what they approve of and don't approve. Besides recent stuff being a fairly solid rule, I've had the most obscure titles from years past that have no historically memorable highlight or theme blanked off, e.g. at MIL from 2005 w/ Smushy and crew. That got blocked years after going up. Game had zero importance other than to fans who wanted to relive the glory that was Smush and Chucky. Then again, I have Kobe game winners up from 2002-05 and then they take down my 99 vid of his free throw tap game at GS. And they deleted my 4/11/08 vs NOH game where LA clinched the Pacific w/in 2 daze. Superboy asked me to do that'n. They made their 15 min Magic highlight reel and took stuff from mine and put em in theirs, even. I think they wanted to move ahead of mine by one notch while still allowing mine to exist. I dunno.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth of these?

non-player zealot wrote:
activeverb wrote:
As far as YouTube, the NBA is cool with someone posting game highlights, but not full games.

Within limits, tho. Anything Lakers from 2008 on is iffy because the NBA channel focuses on recent and current stuff. I think they want to keep us on our toes even tho we (uploaders) are putting up stuff that further advertises their association (as long as you don't monetize your vids, which I never have). However, there's no rhyme or reason as to what they approve of and don't approve. Besides recent stuff being a fairly solid rule, I've had the most obscure titles from years past that have no historically memorable highlight or theme blanked off, e.g. at MIL from 2005 w/ Smushy and crew. That got blocked years after going up. Game had zero importance other than to fans who wanted to relive the glory that was Smush and Chucky. Then again, I have Kobe game winners up from 2002-05 and then they take down my 99 vid of his free throw tap game at GS. And they deleted my 4/11/08 vs NOH game where LA clinched the Pacific w/in 2 daze. Superboy asked me to do that'n. They made their 15 min Magic highlight reel and took stuff from mine and put em in theirs, even. I think they wanted to move ahead of mine by one notch while still allowing mine to exist. I dunno.

That's interesting. I wonder if they are purposefully arbitrary, from time to time, so as not to create a firm precedent that allows people to use their material. Might be easier for them to crack down whenever they want to that way.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth of these?

activeverb wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

You can legally record a broadcast, but you cannot legally sell the recording you make.

If you try to peddle this on eBay, eBay will likely pull the plug on it very quickly. As far as YouTube, the NBA is cool with someone posting game highlights, but not full games. So you could probably edit what you have it a way it would get by.

You might be able to find some fan who will buy it, but you'll probably have to do that through networking on places like this rather than through a public auction site.

Because it's illegal to sell recordings, there aren't really any guidelines/appraisals on the value of something like this. Basically, it's 100% in the eye of the beholder.

Agree totally, saw 15 minute shorts of same games on YouTube. I don’t have time to break them down & edit, so... 🤔
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth of these?

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

Mike, don't trash them. You might have upgrades to numerous Musberger games. A lot of late 80s Lakers CBS gms have been out there for years, but I'm sure there are ones that can be upgraded. I have a lot of CBS gms from 82-83ish that could all be upgraded for certain. It would be to your benefit if you could scan thru each and jot down the grades of the games and/or any issues with the tape (like tracking probs, jitter mostly).

If you don't wanna bother, do you at least believe your versions to look good? Were you a videophile back then? Have you even tried one of them out? Do you have a VCR still?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth of these?

activeverb wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
activeverb wrote:

That's interesting. I wonder if they are purposefully arbitrary, from time to time, so as not to create a firm precedent that allows people to use their material. Might be easier for them to crack down whenever they want to that way.

I really think it's the former having dealt with them. They are just much spongier when it comes to pre-2008 stuff because their own site is late Kobe heavy. That period gets them a lot of views maybe. I have zero doubt in my mind that the NBA WANTS YT users to give them a certain level of free advertising. They (should) know now that younger folk are into the 80s and 90s and they like to look back to reference old stuff or to check claims made on message sites. The only firm rule I've seen since I joined and starting upping game recaps in 2008 is that they watch for anyone who monetizes their shh and anyone who posts full games. They put copyright notices on all my vids that don't affect their play as long as they're unmonetized. I got no issue with that since I do these as a creative outlet.

NBA also watches trends in how their content is used by fans and I wouldn't doubt if it interests them from time to time. I am one of the earliest of grandfathers the 10+ min recap w/ announcers' commentary of single games (feat. BOTH teams, not just single-team highlights), which the NBA now does itself on YT. I've been doing those since 2004 and it was one of the first formats that other fans used to chronicle their own team/players' pasts. I also was one of the posters who made long highlight vids 15+ mins featuring only the announcers' calls instead of rap music. That wasn't the norm before I did that in my Magic vid in 2011. I won't get zip as far as recognition, but I am convinced that they watch how their stuff is consumed and displayed by sh-heads like yours truly and they copy it. Like any other corporation, they don't have much in the way of creativity.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth of these?

non-player zealot wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

Mike, don't trash them. You might have upgrades to numerous Musberger games. A lot of late 80s Lakers CBS gms have been out there for years, but I'm sure there are ones that can be upgraded. I have a lot of CBS gms from 82-83ish that could all be upgraded for certain. It would be to your benefit if you could scan thru each and jot down the grades of the games and/or any issues with the tape (like tracking probs, jitter mostly).

If you don't wanna bother, do you at least believe your versions to look good? Were you a videophile back then? Have you even tried one of them out? Do you have a VCR still?

I would never trash them! I don’t know about grading, but I always kept them in sleeves & I do have a few VCR’s & last played a few about a decade ago, IMO they’re all in good condition & very watchable considering none are HD. 😂 I recall only one out of about the 50 or so became scratchy & unwatchable not sure how that happen... I don’t know about videophile, just enjoyed watching old school show time with my son!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth of these?

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

I would never trash them! I don’t know about grading, but I always kept them in sleeves & I do have a few VCR’s & last played a few about a decade ago, IMO they’re all in good condition & very watchable considering none are HD. 😂 I recall only one out of about the 50 or so became scratchy & unwatchable not sure how that happen... I don’t know about videophile, just enjoyed watching old school show time with my son!

Haha. No offense, bro, no offense. Good man. Keep those bastards.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth of these?

non-player zealot wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

None taken bud. BTW, love ur Eddie dunk, he was my fav player when a Laker, wish we coulda won a ring with him, wonder what he’s doing these days. I live near Philly & loved his game at Temple... 👍 🏀
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth of these?

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

None taken bud. BTW, love ur Eddie dunk, he was my fav player when a Laker, wish we coulda won a ring with him, wonder what he’s doing these days. I live near Philly & loved his game at Temple... 👍 🏀

I was editing a Mavs/Lakers gm from 08 and I was surprised to see Eddie, Devean, and Lue all on that 08 Mavs team. I remembered Dev being a Mav, but not all 3 of them at the same time. I also wonder where Eddie is. Dude was maybe the most popular Philly player ever since his day at Temple. Maybe he's been supplanted, but I can't think of anyone more popular than him off the top of my head. Amazingly, he was even thinner in college than he was in LA and he was doing the same flying dunks at Temple. Big hands. That's the key. If Kobe had just Eddie's hands much less Mike's or Doc J's, forget it. How many more thousands of points would he have scored?
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject:

First, get them converted to DVD.

Second, get the DVD's converted to movie files.

Third, sell the DVD's to anyone privately who will take them.

Fourth, post movie files on a bit torrent site so we can all download them...
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth of these?

non-player zealot wrote:
activeverb wrote:

i still want that game!!! I barely got to watch it.

And you have a npz version of the glorious tip in? oh man. npz gold. one day....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: