Shams: Lakers Requesting Career Ending Injury Application for Luol Deng’s Contract (League Denied It)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject:

Who gives a rats asss what Clippers fans have to say. Lets enjoy the championship and have realistic conversations about what to do this offseason.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject:

Deng or no deal!
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:
All Cupcake's fault, league should transfer this hellish contract to the Hornets.

Magic’s fault, Deng would be off the books if not for him.

How the heck do I put someone on ignore? This is a blatant troll post.

Technically, he's right. We've been through this a few times over the past couple years. It seems like waiving Deng had a cathartic effect for a lot of people, but from a salary cap perspective it was a debatable decision. This has all been talked to death elsewhere.

Yes, the question was with respect to the timing, the Lakers could have kept their options open for a lot longer than they did - that's a fact.

Right. I suspect that Magic was motivated to make the move because it was unseemly to keep Deng exiled for another year. That would bother a former player like Magic. We had gotten some negative press about it, too. Also, Deng was offering a discount on the buyout because he wanted to go somewhere else and play. This turned out to be poor financial decision by Deng. He didn't recoup the discount.

At the time, there were questions about the timing of Magic's decision to stretch Deng. This is because we cleared cap space that we didn't really use at the time. But in hindsight, we would eventually have stretched Deng anyway because we would have wanted the cap space in the summer of 2019. We might not have gotten the discount in the summer of 2019, and the numbers would have worked out differently. I think someone took the time to work through the details in one of these threads. I don't remember the precise outcome.

I believe the FO didn't fully understand how the stretch rule with his discount was going to be applied. I remember there was a bit of confusion on this.

The FO likely thought the discount would be for the last year only and then we'd stretch that when it was in fact applied proportionally to the last 2 years and that meant $15m was stretched in his final year.

If the FO waited a year to stretch Deng, they'd only need him to give $3m back instead of $7.5 to reach the same results.

The better use would have been to trade Deng, 2nd round pick + $5m for a player making $13m and then stretching that player (you may have even been able to have the player the a discount of ~2m).

There were easy ways for the FO to turn the dead cap hit into a lower $$ amount.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject:

I always thought bringing in Beas (besties w/ someone) as our final free agent in 2018 and stretching Deng to reflect as a 5m cap hit for the 2019 offseason was because of this:

Bron 35.7m
Zo 8.7m
BI 7.3m
Mo 2.1m
Kuz 2m
Hart 1.9m
Zu 1.9m RFA caphold
TB 1.5 RFA caphold
Svi 1.4m
Bonga 1.4m
2 incomplete roster charges 1.8m
Deng cap hit 5m
= 70.7m in team salary (ie 38.4m in cap space)

KD’s max as a 10+ yr vet = 38.2m
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:
Speaking of deng being old. Wasn't there's a debate about his actual age?

He's officially 35. How old is he really?

Moses.

Hey bro, I’m not that old

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Moses.

How old is Gred Oden again?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Good on Pelinka to explore this. Doesn't hurt to try, but I doubt the league does Jeanie any favors. There are too many crybaby owners that throw tantrums whenever anything goes the Lakers' way.

Yeah, the politics on this...it's hard to say how that can come to play. I imagine that stuff always working against us because of the other governors.

Again, however, it's supposed to be an independent review of the medical data. I'm sure our case will be based on whatever we have regarding his achilles and that we didn't think he could last enough games before shutting it down. What happened with the TWolves proved that, etc. etc. And we make that case. I don't think it's as big a stretch as people's initial reaction to it is. But it does still feel like it might be tough unless there is some surgery or something that we don't know about that happened after all this which would tilt this heavily into our favor.

The Lakers face an uphill battle. I doubt anyone will buy the idea that the Lakers shut down Deng for injury reasons. Walton told reporters that they mutually agreed instead of playing Deng just a few minutes of garbage time each night, he would just sit out entirely so younger players could get the minutes.

The fact that Deng sacrificed money because he wanted to play rather than sit will be another obstacle. Also, it's debatable whether the achilles injury even ended his career in Minneapolis, given he was 35 when he retired.

I think this is just a what-the-heck-we-have-nothing-to-lose Hail Mary pass.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Moses.

#BannersOverBillboards
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

I believe the FO didn't fully understand how the stretch rule with his discount was going to be applied. I remember there was a bit of confusion on this.

The FO likely thought the discount would be for the last year only and then we'd stretch that when it was in fact applied proportionally to the last 2 years and that meant $15m was stretched in his final year.

If the FO waited a year to stretch Deng, they'd only need him to give $3m back instead of $7.5 to reach the same results.

The better use would have been to trade Deng, 2nd round pick + $5m for a player making $13m and then stretching that player (you may have even been able to have the player the a discount of ~2m).

There were easy ways for the FO to turn the dead cap hit into a lower $$ amount.

LA wasn't gonna wait a year to stretch Deng. He wanted to play. Thibs was in Minny, he knew he would at least get a chance in Minny. Pelinka even referred to it at a presser, that it was important to do right by him. You also don't know that they didn't explore trading for a lesser contract, teams were really looking forward to helping out a Lakers team that just landed Lebron, right?

But nah, let's just make assumptions that they don't have a cap guru or two on the team and called the league office ahead of time to clarify all the ramifications and cap space allotted over the next 2-5 years to ensure this would be "okay". Unless your name is Eric Pincus or Broderick Turner and you got the inside scoop, quit projecting.
2022 - New Orleans
2023 - Own or New Orleans' Pick
2024 - Own (Likely)
2025 - New Orleans
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

LA wasn't gonna wait a year to stretch Deng. He wanted to play. Thibs was in Minny, he knew he would at least get a chance in Minny. Pelinka even referred to it at a presser, that it was important to do right by Deng. I would have preferred Luke & the team at least put Deng in a backup center position, provide some leadership alongside Lebron in that clusterf**k of a roster, and given him a chance, particularly after the Africa Games (ironically his best game as a Laker LMAO). But Deng wanted a clean slate.

You also don't know that they didn't explore trading for a lesser contract, teams were really looking forward to helping out a Lakers team that just landed Lebron, right?

But nah, let's just make assumptions that they don't have a cap guru or two on the team and called the league office ahead of time to clarify all the ramifications and cap space allotted over the next 2-5 years to ensure this would be "okay". Unless your name is Eric Pincus or Broderick Turner and you got the inside scoop, quit projecting.
2022 - New Orleans
2023 - Own or New Orleans' Pick
2024 - Own (Likely)
2025 - New Orleans
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
Quote:

LA wasn't gonna wait a year to stretch Deng. He wanted to play. Thibs was in Minny, he knew he would at least get a chance in Minny. Pelinka even referred to it at a presser, that it was important to do right by Deng. I would have preferred Luke & the team at least put Deng in a backup center position, provide some leadership alongside Lebron in that clusterf**k of a roster, and given him a chance, particularly after the Africa Games (ironically his best game as a Laker LMAO). But Deng wanted a clean slate.

You also don't know that they didn't explore trading for a lesser contract, teams were really looking forward to helping out a Lakers team that just landed Lebron, right?

I'm with you, and those who have pointed out Deng would be less inclined to give back money if Mag/Rob waited until the last year to buy him out, after benching him for 163 straight games or so.

Deng took the buyout and couldn't recoup the money, further strengthening the case that something unforeseen derailed his comeback bid.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Now that the free agency date is official I expect a decision from the league will be very soon. Not expecting it but it would be huge if they could get it.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Now that the free agency date is official I expect a decision from the league will be very soon. Not expecting it but it would be huge if they could get it.

Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject:

They should announce it before FA starts
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

We should get it for...

a) basketball reasons

b) Pelinka's losing out on GM of the Year

c) Lebron not winning MVP Award

d) Lakers kicked everyone's arse on their way to a Championship

e) Magic was granted relief on Mozgov's deal despite Timothy playing ball overseas
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject:

any update on this
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
any update on this

Last update was that the league was not prioritizing our request at the moment.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
any update on this

what's that mean? we gonna have an answer prior to start of trading or not?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ocho wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
any update on this

It means the league had to negotiate a new CBA, figure out how to do a new season, etc. Most of that stuff is settled now. There’s no timetable that we’ve been made aware of. I wouldn’t count on it.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject:

Hopefully a decision will be announced before free agency starts.
SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Who gives a rats asss what Clippers fans have to say. Lets enjoy the championship and have realistic conversations about what to do this offseason.

Apparently the owner and mods of this board do, since they let Clipper fan trolls run free with little to no accountability......
I believe that a triangle, if it could speak, would say that God is eminently triangular, and a circle that the divine nature is eminently circular; and thus would every one ascribe his own attributes to God. - Baruch Spinoza
LeBronsPregameChalk
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject:

Crossing my fingers that this is granted.
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:
All Cupcake's fault, league should transfer this hellish contract to the Hornets.

Magic’s fault, Deng would be off the books if not for him.

How the heck do I put someone on ignore? This is a blatant troll post.

Technically, he's right. We've been through this a few times over the past couple years. It seems like waiving Deng had a cathartic effect for a lot of people, but from a salary cap perspective it was a debatable decision. This has all been talked to death elsewhere.

Yes, the question was with respect to the timing, the Lakers could have kept their options open for a lot longer than they did - that's a fact.

Right. I suspect that Magic was motivated to make the move because it was unseemly to keep Deng exiled for another year. That would bother a former player like Magic. We had gotten some negative press about it, too. Also, Deng was offering a discount on the buyout because he wanted to go somewhere else and play. This turned out to be poor financial decision by Deng. He didn't recoup the discount.

At the time, there were questions about the timing of Magic's decision to stretch Deng. This is because we cleared cap space that we didn't really use at the time. But in hindsight, we would eventually have stretched Deng anyway because we would have wanted the cap space in the summer of 2019. We might not have gotten the discount in the summer of 2019, and the numbers would have worked out differently. I think someone took the time to work through the details in one of these threads. I don't remember the precise outcome.

So is it Magic's fault or not?
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ocho wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
any update on this

It means count on the answer being NO.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject:

What’s taking so long?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9
Jump to: