CP3 to Lakers? (Nope -Traded to the Suns)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
I don't see us too much worried about the tax seeing we haven't paid it in what? 6 or 7 years?

It's active avoidance. I'm not so sure they make an exception just because they won the championship.

History says they will pay the tax for a championship team
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
I don't see us too much worried about the tax seeing we haven't paid it in what? 6 or 7 years?

It's active avoidance. I'm not so sure they make an exception just because they won the championship.

The Lakers have stated that they would pay the tax (The Mitch days) if they were competing for championships again. Now with Covid and massive revenue loss, I’m sure that they don’t intend to pay the luxury tax for the next season either. Unfortunately, we are in bed with Klutch, and Rich Paul is very good at what he does. We will have to overpay to keep KCP. At least 1 year/15m. And we will have to pay it, unless we want to see an unhappy Cleveland Lebron.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject:

They have never lost $53 mil before. That is almost $6 mil per Buss kid. They are going to pay luxury tax on losing another $25-30 mil? I don’t think that you have a good grasp on the owner finances.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

History hasn't dealt with a historic $15+billion drop in NBA revenue.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nba-came-in-15-billion-under-revenue-projections-in-2020-135356538.html

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject:

Time will tell.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

True. They won't pay the repeater tax, but they'll pay a year or two of luxury taxes.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Time will tell.

I don't understand the comparison to history when every sport hasn't dealt with a contagious virus to this magnitude.

If you're getting capacity crowds as expected, then I would believe it.

When do you think the Lakers will actually have capacity fans in Staples?

I'm guessing 2 years, earliest. How much revenue lost there?

dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject:

To avoid the lux tax, the Lakers would have to let KCP walk, not use the full MLE or BAE. Is that realistic when you have the greatest player in this era with a window of maybe 2 more years?
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject:

Some type of relief will likely be agreed upon to or you will have 2/3rd of the NBA sitting on their hands during free agency
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject:

So do we know yet how the cap will work? It seems like all this leak of major losses ($1.5B!) are a negotiating ploy. How much will go in the escrow account, I wonder.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Noel/Dwight/Boogie
AD/Kuz/Dudley
LeBron/Harkless/Korver
KCP/Waiters/THT
CP3/Caruso/2nd round draft pick

Top heavy with LeBron/AD/CP3 combined with strong depth 4-13 (KCP, Kuz, Dwight, Caruso, Harkless, Noel, Waiters, THT, Boogie, Korver)

Kind of a dream lineup but what's the trade? Green, Cook, McGee, Bradley, 28th?

Add Wes Matthews with minimum instead of Korver and I like it that team repeating a lot. If Boogie can be the GS version and sort of be a 6th man while Dwight starts, unstoppable.

This scenario we hold on to Kuz? I don't see why OKC would take that deal without Kuz.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
2019 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Noel/Dwight/Boogie
AD/Kuz/Dudley
LeBron/Harkless/Korver
KCP/Waiters/THT

Top heavy with LeBron/AD/CP3 combined with strong depth 4-13 (KCP, Kuz, Dwight, Caruso, Harkless, Noel, Waiters, THT, Boogie, Korver)

Add Wes Matthews with minimum instead of Korver and I like it that team repeating a lot. If Boogie can be the GS version and sort of be a 6th man while Dwight starts, unstoppable.

This scenario we hold on to Kuz? I don't see why OKC would take that deal without Kuz.

because they dont want to pay him next summer.

also that trade doesnt work: 15.3+3+4.2+5+2(28th pick) = 295m outgoing
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
2019 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Noel/Dwight/Boogie
AD/Kuz/Dudley
LeBron/Harkless/Korver
KCP/Waiters/THT

Me personally I’m for trading for CP3, but only if we can keep Kuzma. There won’t be a long line of teams lining up to to pay 85M for an aging pg & give up assets

A package would have to include Rondo on a bloated 1y10M sign and trade in order to keep Kuz. Only first year guaranteed. Along with McGee/AB/Cook (pre arranged buy outs) & DG/28th pick. OKC would save over 55M & pick up another 1st. Lakers would end up 15-20M in the luxury tax
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
2019 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Noel/Dwight/Boogie
AD/Kuz/Dudley
LeBron/Harkless/Korver
KCP/Waiters/THT

Me personally I’m for trading for CP3, but only if we can keep Kuzma. There won’t be a long line of teams lining up to to pay 85M for an aging pg & give up assets

A package would have to include Rondo on a bloated 1y10M sign and trade in order to keep Kuz. Only first year guaranteed. Along with McGee/AB/Cook (pre arranged buy outs) & DG/28th pick. OKC would save over 55M & pick up another 1st. Lakers would end up 15-20M in the luxury tax

2019 said you cant combine S&T with other players and then make a trade
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject:

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
So do we know yet how the cap will work? It seems like all this leak of major losses ($1.5B!) are a negotiating ploy. How much will go in the escrow account, I wonder.

40% of player salaries
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
2019 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Noel/Dwight/Boogie
AD/Kuz/Dudley
LeBron/Harkless/Korver
KCP/Waiters/THT

I don’t believe that’s accurate
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
2019 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Noel/Dwight/Boogie
AD/Kuz/Dudley
LeBron/Harkless/Korver
KCP/Waiters/THT

And a S&T contract has to be for at least 3 years. So Rondo would have to get a 3 year contract.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
2019 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Noel/Dwight/Boogie
AD/Kuz/Dudley
LeBron/Harkless/Korver
KCP/Waiters/THT

And a S&T contract has to be for at least 3 years. So Rondo would have to get a 3 year contract.

You can combine sign & trade players & only the first year has to be guaranteed as stated
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
To avoid the lux tax, the Lakers would have to let KCP walk, not use the full MLE or BAE. Is that realistic when you have the greatest player in this era with a window of maybe 2 more years?

My point was that we could probably just kiss the MLE and BAE goodbye.

Yes, it is realistic. We shorted Brian Shaw in the middle of a championship run too.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

My point was that we could probably just kiss the MLE and BAE goodbye.

Yes, it is realistic. We shorted Brian Shaw in the middle of a championship run too.

I agree, we have to let go of some salary. The Buss kids don’t have the deep pockets to lose millions because of COVID and China then pay luxury tax on top of it. The Shaw example you referenced was in a season where the team made millions in profits. We can hope that the league smooths out the losses and keep the cap flat. Even amnesty won’t help the team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject:

Only difference here is LBJ/AD are Klutch. If Lakers penny pinch, AD can threaten to bounce. The Klutch factor may keep the Buss kids from cheapening out. I like the pressure that Klutch puts on this team's FO.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Only difference here is LBJ/AD are Klutch. If Lakers penny pinch, AD can threaten to bounce. The Klutch factor may keep the Buss kids from cheapening out. I like the pressure that Klutch puts on this team's FO.

Imagine if Kobe had an agent like Rich Paul from 2005 going forward? No Smush, no Cook, no Mihm...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Imagine if Kobe had an agent like Rich Paul from 2005 going forward? No Smush, no Cook, no Mihm...

Well, it's a little complicated for sure.

But he had to literally threaten a trade demand b/c he didn't have the same level of pull that Klutch has on this team. If they want to penny pinch, LBJ/AD/Klutch won't let it happen.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Then you call AD’s bluff. He doesn’t want to leave and there isn’t much of a market for him. He has already lost money by becoming a Laker and will get less going forward due to the cap drop. If I’m him I would be reconsidering Klutch, not the Lakers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Then you call AD’s bluff. He doesn’t want to leave and there isn’t much of a market for him. He has already lost money by becoming a Laker and will get less going forward due to the cap drop. If I’m him I would be reconsidering Klutch, not the Lakers.

If anything, players have shown they run the NBA. They will dictate moves. Lakers are the one who will be one who feel the need to keep AD.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 38 of 69
Jump to: