CP3 to Lakers? (Nope -Traded to the Suns)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject:

The "bad" thing about THT is his contract, and one of the dings against Pelinka last offseason. It's expiring next season and they won't have full bird rights. Some team is gonna sneak in and offer him an 6-8m annual contract while LA is holding out for some pie-in-the-sky free agent and snatch him away.

Hope we get the Klutch Special and fully unlock him next season (don't wanna any of that Julius Randle Benched Funny Business to drive down his value as an RFA)
2022 - New Orleans
2023 - Own or New Orleans' Pick
2024 - Own (Likely)
2025 - New Orleans
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers get the chance to pull the trigger for CP3, they will. He is one of the most undervalued players in the game. He was killing it last season, Rpm has its flaws but he was the number 1 rated pg.

We would legit have three superstars on the team. I would give them anything they want

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Only if OKC buys him out. So likely not happening.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

It says there that Morris' cap hold is 3.3M. How much can we offer him without using the MLE?

We don't have any of his rights. So unless we use cap space or an exception, all we can offer him is the veteran's minimum.

So the webpage is incorrect? Because it does not make any sense to have cap hold of no rights.

If a player is on your roster to end the season, he counts against the cap even if his contract expires and you have no rights until you renounce him, he resigns, or signs with another team.

Morris' cap hold is going to be based on the minimum for a veteran with his number of years of service. $3.3 million seems like a high cap hold for him; I would have thought it closer to $2.1 million based on the revised cap figures. Maybe $3.3 million is based on the previous cap estimates.

Remember even empty spots have a cap hold. If a team has less than 12 players under contract, each empty spot carries a cap hold of the rookie minimum.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
The "bad" thing about THT is his contract, and one of the dings against Pelinka last offseason. It's expiring next season and they won't have full bird rights. Some team is gonna sneak in and offer him an 6-8m annual contract while LA is holding out for some pie-in-the-sky free agent and snatch him away.

With early bird rights, we can offered THT a four-year contract started at 105% of the league average salary (basically the MLE). At this point, there is no reason to think there is going to be a bidding war for him.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject:

If I'm the Warriors I trade the number 2 pick and anyone not named Curry or Klay.

That team would be crazy
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
If the Lakers get the chance to pull the trigger for CP3, they will. He is one of the most undervalued players in the game. He was killing it last season, Rpm has its flaws but he was the number 1 rated pg.

We would legit have three superstars on the team. I would give them anything they want

Exactly. LAL needs this guy for 24mpg although I'm sure he'd fight for his 30. I think he's the perfect guy to reduce the minutes for LBJ and AD throughout the season too. LAL doesn't have to lose leads when they go to the bench.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
If I'm the Warriors I trade the number 2 pick and anyone not named Curry or Klay.

That team would be crazy

If they did that, it wouldn't be for Chris Paul. It'd be for another star.

The Number 2 Pick + Wiggins is probably the best they can offer, outside of throwing in Draymond Green.

Those are the kinds of offers if Golden State was going after Embiid, Giannis, Simmons, etc.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Wiggins is a negative asset. The #2 pick is nice but this is a weak draft at the top.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Wiggins is a negative asset. The #2 pick is nice but this is a weak draft at the top.

Having a guaranteed contract fixed for X amount of years with a certain amount of productivity is a lot of value in a draft pick.

I'm not optimistic about the top of the draft either, but if you get the right guy, it works out very well.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

Exactly. LAL needs this guy for 24mpg although I'm sure he'd fight for his 30. I think he's the perfect guy to reduce the minutes for LBJ and AD throughout the season too. LAL doesn't have to lose leads when they go to the bench.

I just don't think it's doable, but a core of LBJ/AD/CP3 would be easy to add cheap, productive pieces and build a career. Two caveats:

1) Health - 70+ games out of CP3 and 75+ from AD/LBJ during the regular season, plus full health during the playoffs;

2) No "buddy" hires - the J.R. Smith's, etc., don't get checks or suck up roster spots because we'll need players with gas in the tank.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
JIFISH wrote:
So folks aren't content with the damage the first CP3 trade did, and want to see how much damage a 2nd CP3 trade could do?

Destroying the career of Odom and driving away Gasol wasn't enough?

And how many championships did CP3 help the Clippers win?

I am not interested in destroying our team's chemistry on the off chance that CP3 might still have a little gas left in the tank for another season or 2.

Of course, like everyone else here, I have no say in the matter, and will support whatever the Lakers front office decides is best for the team.

But trading for CP3 is not something I look forward to.

Now hold on there.

The CP3 trade that was CANCELLED was what killed us. The trade itself would have set us up with Kobe, CP3, and Dwight eventually. Now who knows what chemistry issues would have cropped up with those personalities but that's different matter.

It would still have cost us 2 players that were important to that season's championship.

And it served as a disincentive to everyone else on the team to play their best the following season, because what's the point of playing your best and giving a team you enjoy being on all you've got if your reward is being sent somewhere you don't want to go?

If a player doesn't enjoy the team he's on, then by all means help him by trading him if you can to a team he wants to go to.

Odom and Gasol both loved being in LA and playing for the Lakers, and that should have been taken into account.

If we have players who would rather be in OKC than LA, by all means, trade them for CP3. But we need to treat the players who helped win a championship like they are appreciated.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Yeah the draft is pretty good at it;s Top 3 you have James Wiseman, Onyeka Okongwu, and Lamelo Ball.

After that it feels like more of a coinflip, but that can also have to do with not seeing them really get to perform this season.

But the Warriors have the 2nd pick, which means either Wiseman, Onyeka or Ball, and they can be seen as valuable. In what feels like a "3 player" draft, you want the pick with that player.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:
JIFISH wrote:
So folks aren't content with the damage the first CP3 trade did, and want to see how much damage a 2nd CP3 trade could do?

Destroying the career of Odom and driving away Gasol wasn't enough?

And how many championships did CP3 help the Clippers win?

I am not interested in destroying our team's chemistry on the off chance that CP3 might still have a little gas left in the tank for another season or 2.

Of course, like everyone else here, I have no say in the matter, and will support whatever the Lakers front office decides is best for the team.

But trading for CP3 is not something I look forward to.

Now hold on there.

The CP3 trade that was CANCELLED was what killed us. The trade itself would have set us up with Kobe, CP3, and Dwight eventually. Now who knows what chemistry issues would have cropped up with those personalities but that's different matter.

It would still have cost us 2 players that were important to that season's championship.

And it served as a disincentive to everyone else on the team to play their best the following season, because what's the point of playing your best and giving a team you enjoy being on all you've got if your reward is being sent somewhere you don't want to go?

If a player doesn't enjoy the team he's on, then by all means help him by trading him if you can to a team he wants to go to.

Odom and Gasol both loved being in LA and playing for the Lakers, and that should have been taken into account.

If we have players who would rather be in OKC than LA, by all means, trade them for CP3. But we need to treat the players who helped win a championship like they are appreciated.

It was only an issue because Stern vetoed it.

Setting up a core of Kobe, Dwight and CP3 and not having to worry about any luxury tax in the future even with that core was a brilliant move. It just got taken away from us.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Lakers aren’t getting CP3 because they can’t afford him.
Lakers aren’t trading 6 players for him.
Just not happening.
Also, CP3 is NOT getting a buyout
So, let’s move on from this pipe.

U can move on and ignore this thread yeah?

We just traded 5/6 players last year to get cp3😂🤣

Which leaves the cupboard bare to do the same this offseason.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:

Hope we get the Klutch Special and fully unlock him next season (don't wanna any of that Julius Randle Benched Funny Business to drive down his value as an RFA)

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
I don't give up THT for CP3. We don't have many young players with potential.

I'm 100% banking on the idea of LAL trades for CP3, LeBron and CP3 would be off the books by 2022, and I don't want rookie contracts getting in the way of potential free agent options.

https://hoopshype.com/2019/09/19/nba-free-agents-in-2022/

And I say this as a draft guy.

I will be shocked if Lebron is off the books in 2022.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

And if it takes the rumored Green, Kuzma, THT and our first rounder I doubt that we would regret it anytime soon.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Davis and Vogel LOVE Rondo. James is a major fan too. Rondo and Paul dislike each other as much as any players in the league.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Davis and Vogel LOVE Rondo. James is a major fan too. Rondo and Paul dislike each other as much as any players in the league.

Meh. That's what they said about Kobe/ Barnes too
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

Then hopefully Pelinka will exhibit better common sense. My guess is that if Pelinka tells him it is either Paul or Rondo, bye bye Rajon.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

And if it takes the rumored Green, Kuzma, THT and our first rounder I doubt that we would regret it anytime soon.

Financially it's take far more than that.

We'd need to get rid of Danny Green, KCP, Avery Bradley, Javale McGee, Quinn Cook in addition to Kuzma(if they're asking for him in order to do the trade) for it to financially work.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

Financially it's take far more than that.

We'd need to get rid of Danny Green, KCP, Avery Bradley, Javale McGee, Quinn Cook in addition to Kuzma(if they're asking for him in order to do the trade) for it to financially work.

No one there that I would miss Like the AD trade you have to overpay. I was fine with that trade and if OKC would take that package, go for it. They patched together pieces this season and it worked. I don’t see a couple of those players here next season anyway so losing them while bringing in CP3 is a good use of assets.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Serious Questions

1. Is OKC going to buyout a 36 year old PG to the tune of 80,000,000.00?

2. Is Rob going to convince 5 champions, their agents, and families that a trade to OKC is better than being a champion in LA?

3. Is VLF ever going to realize that we like LG better when he mutes himself?

#BannersOverBillboards
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Hey guys, I was thinking..originally I thought a buyout wasn't likely but...

considering the lost revenues of the NBA, is it possible that OKC would want to do a buyout with CP3 to save money?

Or because of the lost revenues, there could be teams unwilling to spend money on FA giving the Lakers an opportunity to get a high quality player via MLE?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 22 of 69
Jump to: