CP3 to Lakers? (Nope -Traded to the Suns)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2014
Posts: 5823

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject:

With or without a Paul trade it is going to be another waiting game to see how the season even looks. Huge factors of length of season, manageable profit losses affecting the salary cap and player wages and ongoing COVID concerns all loom large.

League still needs to figure out those issues before any trade or free agent changes can even be considered.

Going to be interesting! At least the Lakers have one championship in the pocket no matter what happens next.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jankobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 12 Jun 2010
Posts: 635

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject:

If Lebron & AD really wanted CP3, & CP3 wants to join the Lakers for a Ring, he should ask for a Buyout from OKC. Something both parties agreeable.

Then sign with the Lakers for like KCP money or DGreen's...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 16587

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject:

jankobe wrote:
If Lebron & AD really wanted CP3, & CP3 wants to join the Lakers for a Ring, he should ask for a Buyout from OKC. Something both parties agreeable.

Then sign with the Lakers for like KCP money or DGreen's...


And why would OKC do it? It can get an expirings which mean last year of salary is off book AND get a pick/prospect, so CP3 has to agree to leave around $40mil to match that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Jul 2005
Posts: 16804

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
What sells me on Chris Paul is that he was on the all-defensive teams and not too long ago a top 10 defender in the NBA, maybe even top 5. You now put him around AD, Bron, Dwight, and the defensive mindset of this group with a great coach like Vogel, it will make the defense even better on paper.

What I worry about is the huge salary impact and the guys we would be losing. If we can keep guys like Caruso, Bradley, KCP, and re-sign Dwight and Morris. I would probably say it ends up helping this team quite a bit.

The main concern would be the mindset of CP3. He has to come with a mentality of being a jack of all trades, high impact role player, with leadership. He didn't always do that in Houston, and we saw how it failed with Harden and Melo etc. He definitely leads well when he is the undisputed star of the team. But when he has had to gel with another star or two, like in Houston or with prime Blake/DAJ, it didn't always go well. That said, again, we have seen bigger head cases like Dwight, Rondo etc have issues elsewhere and come here and be great in Lakers culture. So long as CP3 would come to fit in, it would probably end up being a move that puts us significantly ahead of the pack. We're the best team when we're locked in defensively, but teams are within striking distance. A move like CP3 that has CP3 trying to fit in, probably puts significant separation from us and the other contenders.

I don't know if Presti can do better than Kuz, 28th pick, THT and expiring contracts. I wonder if we even try to keep Kuz out of it, because as far as I can tell, the market for CP3 is not all that great. His contract is ridiculously large, and I don't see too many teams wanting it. Certainly, I can not see too many teams having expiring contracts to offer.

I would attempt to keep both THT and Kuz out of it.
_________________
"He's a Zen master, so he can speak to you, and he doesn't need a microphone; you can hear him in your head, 'Ron, don't shoot, don't shoot.' Whatever, pow, three. I love the Zen, though."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Jun 2001
Posts: 1652

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject:

Instead of potentially gutting our defensive infrastructure, just to have Chris Paul play 30 or so minutes a game, why couldn't Dion step in for a few minutes every quarter? If we lose KCP/AB/DG, there will be no Luguentz Dort to save CP3 on defense.

Not really buying into that all star appearance from last year, he's been declining since his last year with the Clippers. He used to score often from all 3 levels, now he stays mostly beyond 10 feet (though, admittedly, he's the best mid-range player this side of DLo/McCollum).

Oh, sure, point to 2018 when the overconfident Warriors almost blew their b2b run against an inferior Rockets team. Believe it was Iggy who mentioned something to the effect of "the world doesn't even know what goes on in this locker room", and no one took him seriously at the time. Steph was hot dogging at the end of their two losses in Games 4&5, and Klay was visibly upset at him and the team. I believe Klay alluded to the situation in his postgame interview after hitting nine threes in Game 6. There were issues in that locker room.

CP3 had only 3 great games out of 10 in his two series with the Warriors, the others were subpar. If he can't dominate the ball to go at Curry and Klay (getting at least one tired), they will light him up on the other end, especially when his minutes increase in the playoffs. In 2019, the Rockets were finished off in 6, without Durant over the last 5 quarters of the series. Chris Paul had a great night statistically, but Steph/Klay/Livingston combined for an efficient 71 in the close out game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 16587

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Instead of potentially gutting our defensive infrastructure, just to have Chris Paul play 30 or so minutes a game, why couldn't Dion step in for a few minutes every quarter? If we lose KCP/AB/DG, there will be no Luguentz Dort to save CP3 on defense.

Not really buying into that all star appearance from last year, he's been declining since his last year with the Clippers. He used to score often from all 3 levels, now he stays mostly beyond 10 feet (though, admittedly, he's the best mid-range player this side of DLo/McCollum).

Oh, sure, point to 2018 when the overconfident Warriors almost blew their b2b run against an inferior Rockets team. Believe it was Iggy who mentioned something to the effect of "the world doesn't even know what goes on in this locker room", and no one took him seriously at the time. Steph was hot dogging at the end of their two losses in Games 4&5, and Klay was visibly upset at him and the team. I believe Klay alluded to the situation in his postgame interview after hitting nine threes in Game 6. There were issues in that locker room.

CP3 had only 3 great games out of 10 in his two series with the Warriors, the others were subpar. If he can't dominate the ball to go at Curry and Klay (getting at least one tired), they will light him up on the other end, especially when his minutes increase in the playoffs. In 2019, the Rockets were finished off in 6, without Durant over the last 5 quarters of the series. Chris Paul had a great night statistically, but Steph/Klay/Livingston combined for an efficient 71 in the close out game.


LeBron/AD/CP3 for 30 mins/game is the best trio in league, they'll dominate, lob city with much better skills and much better defense
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 138349
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
What sells me on Chris Paul is that he was on the all-defensive teams and not too long ago a top 10 defender in the NBA, maybe even top 5. You now put him around AD, Bron, Dwight, and the defensive mindset of this group with a great coach like Vogel, it will make the defense even better on paper.

What I worry about is the huge salary impact and the guys we would be losing. If we can keep guys like Caruso, Bradley, KCP, and re-sign Dwight and Morris. I would probably say it ends up helping this team quite a bit.

The main concern would be the mindset of CP3. He has to come with a mentality of being a jack of all trades, high impact role player, with leadership. He didn't always do that in Houston, and we saw how it failed with Harden and Melo etc. He definitely leads well when he is the undisputed star of the team. But when he has had to gel with another star or two, like in Houston or with prime Blake/DAJ, it didn't always go well. That said, again, we have seen bigger head cases like Dwight, Rondo etc have issues elsewhere and come here and be great in Lakers culture. So long as CP3 would come to fit in, it would probably end up being a move that puts us significantly ahead of the pack. We're the best team when we're locked in defensively, but teams are within striking distance. A move like CP3 that has CP3 trying to fit in, probably puts significant separation from us and the other contenders.

I don't know if Presti can do better than Kuz, 28th pick, THT and expiring contracts. I wonder if we even try to keep Kuz out of it, because as far as I can tell, the market for CP3 is not all that great. His contract is ridiculously large, and I don't see too many teams wanting it. Certainly, I can not see too many teams having expiring contracts to offer.

I would attempt to keep both THT and Kuz out of it.


Then you really don’t want to trade for KCP and would rather keep fringe NBA players.
_________________
If you could choose between dating a supermodel or going fishing, would it be saltwater or freshwater?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 63367
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Instead of potentially gutting our defensive infrastructure, just to have Chris Paul play 30 or so minutes a game, why couldn't Dion step in for a few minutes every quarter? If we lose KCP/AB/DG, there will be no Luguentz Dort to save CP3 on defense.

Not really buying into that all star appearance from last year, he's been declining since his last year with the Clippers. He used to score often from all 3 levels, now he stays mostly beyond 10 feet (though, admittedly, he's the best mid-range player this side of DLo/McCollum).

Oh, sure, point to 2018 when the overconfident Warriors almost blew their b2b run against an inferior Rockets team. Believe it was Iggy who mentioned something to the effect of "the world doesn't even know what goes on in this locker room", and no one took him seriously at the time. Steph was hot dogging at the end of their two losses in Games 4&5, and Klay was visibly upset at him and the team. I believe Klay alluded to the situation in his postgame interview after hitting nine threes in Game 6. There were issues in that locker room.

CP3 had only 3 great games out of 10 in his two series with the Warriors, the others were subpar. If he can't dominate the ball to go at Curry and Klay (getting at least one tired), they will light him up on the other end, especially when his minutes increase in the playoffs. In 2019, the Rockets were finished off in 6, without Durant over the last 5 quarters of the series. Chris Paul had a great night statistically, but Steph/Klay/Livingston combined for an efficient 71 in the close out game.


LeBron/AD/CP3 for 30 mins/game is the best trio in league, they'll dominate, lob city with much better skills and much better defense


Imagine having any 2 of those guys on the floor at the same time during bench lineups.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.

Caruso/Dennis
KCP/Matthews
LBJ/Matthews/Kuzma
AD/Kuzma/Kieff/LBJ
Gasol/Harrell/Kieff/AD/LBJ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 63367
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
I'll take a healthy CP3 and a vet min wing over Rondo and Green.


Well, sure, but you can only trade for CP3, not "a healthy CP3." That's the biggest problem (other than the sheer implausibility of the trade, but it's the offseason, so what the heck).


Everyone is assuming that because of his age, not his reduced responsibility as a Laker.

That really puzzles me.


His age is relevant, for sure. If we’re comparing him to Rondo and Green for discussion purposes, this is really a wash. They aren’t young, either. But a trade for CP3 would affect the rest of the roster because (at least under the proposals I’ve seen), we’d be adding net salary. Quite a bit. I do not claim to be a salary cap guru, and I have not tried to add up the numbers. If the rest of the roster ends up depleted, then the CP3 injury risk is magnified.


I'm not thinking in terms of net salary. I'm thinking of adding 2-way skill set on the floor, plus, LAL taking care of their franchise players. Like I said, I have zero issue with LBJ and CP3 riding out to the sunset on the best friends team.

Personally, I think CP3 + 2 vet min wings > Rondo + Green + Grant.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.

Caruso/Dennis
KCP/Matthews
LBJ/Matthews/Kuzma
AD/Kuzma/Kieff/LBJ
Gasol/Harrell/Kieff/AD/LBJ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 24133

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I don't know if Presti can do better than Kuz, 28th pick, THT and expiring contracts. I wonder if we even try to keep Kuz out of it, because as far as I can tell, the market for CP3 is not all that great. His contract is ridiculously large, and I don't see too many teams wanting it. Certainly, I can not see too many teams having expiring contracts to offer.


So now you're trying to convince yourself that OKC would send us an all-star and future Hall of Famer for the 28th pick and other garbage? I know it's the offseason, but come on, man. I'll coin a term and call this "message board creep." It's the delusional tendency of fans to convince themselves that their team can offer fewer and fewer assets, or get more and more assets, as part of a trade. I mean, hell, why do we need to give up the freaking 28th pick? OKC is desperate!
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 63367
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:
If the addition of Paul depletes the roster and a couple key role players choose to move on to other teams.... that is a lot of player chemistry to replace.


This is where I kind of disagree. Everyone falls in line behind leadership right? Well, this is falling in line with CP3 and LeBron and AD.

Yes, you do need to fill out a roster. Yes, it does get expensive, even prior to use MLE, BAE, etc. Yes, you lose a 7-8 solid man rotation like LAL had last season.

I'm okay with all of it. CP3 and LBJ don't have to play blisteringly fast to kill it in the halfcourt. I think adding CP3 helps LBJ prolong his legs. I think watching his minutes to 24-28 a game while being on a winning team and not really needing to practice as other younger teams, helps his legs and health. I think CP3 next to AD, makes it easier for AD. Two triple threat franchise type talents in PnR? Oof. Good luck, league.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.

Caruso/Dennis
KCP/Matthews
LBJ/Matthews/Kuzma
AD/Kuzma/Kieff/LBJ
Gasol/Harrell/Kieff/AD/LBJ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 24133

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
I'll take a healthy CP3 and a vet min wing over Rondo and Green.


Well, sure, but you can only trade for CP3, not "a healthy CP3." That's the biggest problem (other than the sheer implausibility of the trade, but it's the offseason, so what the heck).


Everyone is assuming that because of his age, not his reduced responsibility as a Laker.

That really puzzles me.


His age is relevant, for sure. If we’re comparing him to Rondo and Green for discussion purposes, this is really a wash. They aren’t young, either. But a trade for CP3 would affect the rest of the roster because (at least under the proposals I’ve seen), we’d be adding net salary. Quite a bit. I do not claim to be a salary cap guru, and I have not tried to add up the numbers. If the rest of the roster ends up depleted, then the CP3 injury risk is magnified.


I'm not thinking in terms of net salary. I'm thinking of adding 2-way skill set on the floor, plus, LAL taking care of their franchise players. Like I said, I have zero issue with LBJ and CP3 riding out to the sunset on the best friends team.

Personally, I think CP3 + 2 vet min wings > Rondo + Green + Grant.


In the abstract, sure, but the rest of the roster matters. This is especially true if we would have two main pieces who are 35+. Depending on how much salary we eat as part of a CP3 trade, we might be waving goodbye to KCP, too. Someone who has the time to run the numbers could work this out.
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 63367
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject:

Quote:
In the abstract, sure, but the rest of the roster matters.


Star power is the hardest to get.

The Laker roster last year was basically 2 franchise types, and the hopes of signing role players that were basically "break even" on BPM.

LBJ and AD would just inherently raise that with their PT beside the role players.

It's a lot easier to get those "break even" role players at lower salaries, than to get elite 2-way skill sets. CP3 isn't exactly relying on athleticism to be incredibly effective, and he's still the guy that took HOU to 7 games leading a very young OKC team? With Gallinari's defensive issues? Adams not really being switchable? Playing next to a small PG in Schroeder as a defensive liability? Two baby wings in Diallo and Ferguson, and just relying on Dort's defense?

Man, he doesn't have anywhere near the same problems with AD and LBJ next to him.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.

Caruso/Dennis
KCP/Matthews
LBJ/Matthews/Kuzma
AD/Kuzma/Kieff/LBJ
Gasol/Harrell/Kieff/AD/LBJ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 24 Dec 2018
Posts: 239
Location: Palos Verdes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject:

cannga11 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
cannga11 wrote:
IMHO, no, no, no, no, unless he comes without costing us much, which is not going to happen this year. He's an ex Clippers, and carries that Clippers curse: sh*t happens at the most unfortunate times. He seems healthy only when nothing matters, like this year. CBS article rearranged:

2015: Paul played in all 82 regular-season games during the 2014-15 season, but suffered a hamstring injury in Game 7 of the first round of the playoffs against the San Antonio Spurs.

2016: Paul broke a bone in his right hand during Game 4 of the first round of the playoffs against the Portland Trail Blazers. The injury occurred with Paul's Clippers up 2-1 in the series; they would not win another game in the series, and ultimately fell 4-2 to Portland. Paul did not return after sustaining the Game 4 injury.

2018: The Houston Rockets clinched a pivotal Game 5 victory on Thursday to take a 3-2 Western Conference finals lead over the Golden State Warriors. Even in the win, though, it felt like a loss for Houston, which saw Chris Paul come up hobbled late in the game. Paul left in the final minute with an apparent hamstring injury and did not return.


1. How did his 2020 season go?

2. Do you think he'd actually have the same responsibility as a Laker next to LeBron and AD?

3. Did you know Lamar Odom was an Ex Clipper too? What about Jared Dudley? Avery Bradley? Did any of that Clipper stuff matter?

Nope.


1. 2020 is not 2021. For one, he will no longer be 35 . And with THAT history, the probability is not in our favor.

2. With him on board, we will likely look at a gutted/thin Lakers team. He would NEED to have the same responsibility. And he is not going to play D like KCP, etc. Two 36 year old's in the lineup is the kiss of death against Clippers or Denver IMO.

3. Note smilie.

The argument is not whether he is a great addition, it is the cost for him is too much for someone with a history, and will be 36 years old.
***Present Lakers without Chris Paul: title favorite.
***New Lakers with Chris Paul injured: no way. Not saying that I am right, he will be injured, but this is the probability that I don't want to take. A wasted year for old James's chance of another title is too much to be dependent on a 36 year old, injury prone (IMHO) player.


Although ortho is not my specialty, allow me to add that AFAIK, hamstring injury is a risk factor for further hamstring injury. In other works, Paul is at higher risk of another ham string injury. It's also an injury form excessive stretching of muscle and other tissues, and sudden start, stop movements. So playing less minutes doesn't necessarily help.

As to why he has it seemingly during the most critical moments - playoffs? Just a theory: this is the time that he goes all out.

Again, there is no question he is a great player, but as in my conversation with Mike, his age is everything. It increases the probability that disaster strikes. Gut the team for a 30 yo superstar? Yes. Gut the team for a 36 yo making 41 + 44 millions with h/o of injury. No, IMHO.
_________________
Lakers fan since that Magical day June 25, 1979.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 138349
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
I'll take a healthy CP3 and a vet min wing over Rondo and Green.


Well, sure, but you can only trade for CP3, not "a healthy CP3." That's the biggest problem (other than the sheer implausibility of the trade, but it's the offseason, so what the heck).


Everyone is assuming that because of his age, not his reduced responsibility as a Laker.

That really puzzles me.


His age is relevant, for sure. If we’re comparing him to Rondo and Green for discussion purposes, this is really a wash. They aren’t young, either. But a trade for CP3 would affect the rest of the roster because (at least under the proposals I’ve seen), we’d be adding net salary. Quite a bit. I do not claim to be a salary cap guru, and I have not tried to add up the numbers. If the rest of the roster ends up depleted, then the CP3 injury risk is magnified.


I'm not thinking in terms of net salary. I'm thinking of adding 2-way skill set on the floor, plus, LAL taking care of their franchise players. Like I said, I have zero issue with LBJ and CP3 riding out to the sunset on the best friends team.

Personally, I think CP3 + 2 vet min wings > Rondo + Green + Grant.


The organization can’t be afraid to spend, it that is what it takes to improve then you do it. If getting CP3 cost Green, Kuzma, THT and a late first round pick, you do it. Those players aren’t moving the needle, CP3 will.
_________________
If you could choose between dating a supermodel or going fishing, would it be saltwater or freshwater?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 63367
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject:

Quote:
hamstring injury is a risk factor for further hamstring injury


I agree, but I think you keep overlooking reduced to no practices, reduced minutes during the regular season, while keeping the Lakers around 50+ wins and then a slow gradual increase in the playoffs.

AD and LBJ played the high end of minutes for a regular season, in the playoffs. It wasn't 40-44. It was ticks above 36.

Chris Paul went from 31+ regular season to 37. He was fine.

Rest him for 15 games throughout the regular season. The NBA is planning limited travel anyway.

It was literally LBJ and AD and role players that got LAL to #1 in the West. We just need 50 wins, healthy, leading into and during the playoffs. I'm aiming for 16 wins in the post season, not 82 or even 72 games played combined during the regular.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.

Caruso/Dennis
KCP/Matthews
LBJ/Matthews/Kuzma
AD/Kuzma/Kieff/LBJ
Gasol/Harrell/Kieff/AD/LBJ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Mar 2017
Posts: 3435

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
In the abstract, sure, but the rest of the roster matters.


Star power is the hardest to get.

The Laker roster last year was basically 2 franchise types, and the hopes of signing role players that were basically "break even" on BPM.

LBJ and AD would just inherently raise that with their PT beside the role players.

It's a lot easier to get those "break even" role players at lower salaries, than to get elite 2-way skill sets. CP3 isn't exactly relying on athleticism to be incredibly effective, and he's still the guy that took HOU to 7 games leading a very young OKC team? With Gallinari's defensive issues? Adams not really being switchable? Playing next to a small PG in Schroeder as a defensive liability? Two baby wings in Diallo and Ferguson, and just relying on Dort's defense?

Man, he doesn't have anywhere near the same problems with AD and LBJ next to him.


Yes it’s easy to envision that as CP3 is a main piece. The only question is will he be healthy comes playoff time. We have a lot of glue guys in our team that even if we miss one of them , we are still good enough to win it all. Getting CP3, we certainly have a higher chance of winning but keeping our squad and getting an MLE and BAE is also good enough to get it done. I prefer the latter as we have a chance to keep our young core (Kuz, Caruso, THT) even if we miss the moon. I’ll take a proven formula than experimenting for more.

At the end of the day, Presti call the shots here and other teams have far more enticing assets than us. Green is a liability for OKC. He’s not someone you can easily flip for asset.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 63367
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
In the abstract, sure, but the rest of the roster matters.


Star power is the hardest to get.

The Laker roster last year was basically 2 franchise types, and the hopes of signing role players that were basically "break even" on BPM.

LBJ and AD would just inherently raise that with their PT beside the role players.

It's a lot easier to get those "break even" role players at lower salaries, than to get elite 2-way skill sets. CP3 isn't exactly relying on athleticism to be incredibly effective, and he's still the guy that took HOU to 7 games leading a very young OKC team? With Gallinari's defensive issues? Adams not really being switchable? Playing next to a small PG in Schroeder as a defensive liability? Two baby wings in Diallo and Ferguson, and just relying on Dort's defense?

Man, he doesn't have anywhere near the same problems with AD and LBJ next to him.


Yes it’s easy to envision that as CP3 is a main piece. The only question is will he be healthy comes playoff time. We have a lot of glue guys in our team that even if we miss one of them , we are still good enough to win it all. Getting CP3, we certainly have a higher chance of winning but keeping our squad and getting an MLE and BAE is also good enough to get it done. I prefer the latter as we have a chance to keep our young core (Kuz, Caruso, THT) even if we miss the moon. I’ll take a proven formula than experimenting for more.

At the end of the day, Presti call the shots here and other teams have far more enticing assets than us. Green is a liability for OKC. He’s not someone you can easily flip for asset.


If OKC's goal is to save money, getting rid of CP3s contract and getting Green back as an expiring, helps that cause tremendously.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.

Caruso/Dennis
KCP/Matthews
LBJ/Matthews/Kuzma
AD/Kuzma/Kieff/LBJ
Gasol/Harrell/Kieff/AD/LBJ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Jun 2001
Posts: 1652

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
governator wrote:


LeBron/AD/CP3 for 30 mins/game is the best trio in league, they'll dominate, lob city with much better skills and much better defense


Imagine having any 2 of those guys on the floor at the same time during bench lineups.


But if that bench is Wesley Matthews and RHJ, we would have one dedicated spot up shooter on the entire team in Wes, and players like Korver and Crabbe are one-dimensional if we should go that route. Courtney Lee has fallen off defensively and isn't ideal for the playoff rotation.

So, it's either outscore everybody in shootouts, or let teams zone our Big 3 so brazenly, it would look like we were lining up for free throws on each halfcourt possession. Or put Harkless at the 2, and let our only fastbreak points be those look-ahead passes to AD from LeBron.

I could see the Warriors sweeping a team not built to play help and recover defense. There aren't any realistically available guards on the FA market who can play defense like the 4 we have now. We'd best keep at least 2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 63367
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:
But if that bench is Wesley Matthews and RHJ, we would have one dedicated spot up shooter on the entire team in Wes, and players like Korver and Crabbe are one-dimensional if we should go that route. Courtney Lee has fallen off defensively and isn't ideal for the playoff rotation.


If you're telling me that bench is Matthews and RHJ, I think you'd be surprised how LBJ, CP3, and AD could make that lineup effective.

Really, people default to "shoot outs" but that's not it. It's about LAL having 1 elite defender at all critical positions. Except, with Caruso, LAL would have 2 at PG, 1 at wing with LBJ, and 1 with AD as a switch big.

It's not so scary anymore.

If if it's Hollis Jefferson, then, the lineups still work with a 4-1 offensive set up with RHJ going between wing and 4.

This is why I'm optimistic with this kind of lineup. Like I said, it's tougher to get starpower that moves the needle, but it's WAY easier to get replacement wings. The starpower elevates the effectiveness of the rest of the roster, as long as at least 2 are on the floor at the same time.

If you want to scare teams, and LAL is willing, use the MLE on Harkless, and now we've got 2 PG defenders, 2 wing defenders, and AD as a DPOY candidate.

There's your death lineup.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.

Caruso/Dennis
KCP/Matthews
LBJ/Matthews/Kuzma
AD/Kuzma/Kieff/LBJ
Gasol/Harrell/Kieff/AD/LBJ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Mar 2017
Posts: 3435

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
CRoost wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
In the abstract, sure, but the rest of the roster matters.


Star power is the hardest to get.

The Laker roster last year was basically 2 franchise types, and the hopes of signing role players that were basically "break even" on BPM.

LBJ and AD would just inherently raise that with their PT beside the role players.

It's a lot easier to get those "break even" role players at lower salaries, than to get elite 2-way skill sets. CP3 isn't exactly relying on athleticism to be incredibly effective, and he's still the guy that took HOU to 7 games leading a very young OKC team? With Gallinari's defensive issues? Adams not really being switchable? Playing next to a small PG in Schroeder as a defensive liability? Two baby wings in Diallo and Ferguson, and just relying on Dort's defense?

Man, he doesn't have anywhere near the same problems with AD and LBJ next to him.


Yes it’s easy to envision that as CP3 is a main piece. The only question is will he be healthy comes playoff time. We have a lot of glue guys in our team that even if we miss one of them , we are still good enough to win it all. Getting CP3, we certainly have a higher chance of winning but keeping our squad and getting an MLE and BAE is also good enough to get it done. I prefer the latter as we have a chance to keep our young core (Kuz, Caruso, THT) even if we miss the moon. I’ll take a proven formula than experimenting for more.

At the end of the day, Presti call the shots here and other teams have far more enticing assets than us. Green is a liability for OKC. He’s not someone you can easily flip for asset.


If OKC's goal is to save money, getting rid of CP3s contract and getting Green back as an expiring, helps that cause tremendously.


They are still rebuilding so flipping assets for draft picks is more favorable than just getting through a liability.

Case in point, Bucks offer the first round from Indiana and their 21 pick, that’s 2 draft assets . They they add contracts of Bledsoe and Hill, that’s another 2 assets that they can flip for more draft picks. They can’t do that Green. Only way for them to more interested in our offer is seeing Kuz as a main piece which is a stretch .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mike@LG
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 10 Apr 2001
Posts: 63367
Location: Orange County, CA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:


They are still rebuilding so flipping assets for draft picks is more favorable than just getting through a liability.

Case in point, Bucks offer the first round from Indiana and their 21 pick, that’s 2 draft assets . They they add contracts of Bledsoe and Hill, that’s another 2 assets that they can flip for more draft picks. They can’t do that Green. Only way for them to more interested in our offer is seeing Kuz as a main piece which is a stretch .


I agree that teams can offer better packages. I also think teams will cater to their best players should they decide to be traded, especially as well respected as CP3. The way AD was handled was awful.
_________________
Resident Car Nut.

Caruso/Dennis
KCP/Matthews
LBJ/Matthews/Kuzma
AD/Kuzma/Kieff/LBJ
Gasol/Harrell/Kieff/AD/LBJ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
av3773
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Dec 2011
Posts: 3254

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject:

If there is viable path to bring CP3, I have no doubt the Lakers do it....star power wins...they'll get enough low cost vets to fill things out....and honestly I think CP3 beyond his play would motivate Bron and AD in a different way, not that their not out for a chip already, but the idea of getting CP3 a ring would definitely be an additional motivator
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 6069

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject:

jankobe wrote:
If Lebron & AD really wanted CP3, & CP3 wants to join the Lakers for a Ring, he should ask for a Buyout from OKC. Something both parties agreeable.

Then sign with the Lakers for like KCP money or DGreen's...


If he genuinely wanted a ring that badly, he would leave all that money and come to LA but nobody wanted a ring that badly that they would leave that kind of money behind.
_________________
In Loving Memory of the Black Mamba!
1978-2020
Posterizer!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Jun 2001
Posts: 1652

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
But if that bench is Wesley Matthews and RHJ, we would have one dedicated spot up shooter on the entire team in Wes, and players like Korver and Crabbe are one-dimensional if we should go that route. Courtney Lee has fallen off defensively and isn't ideal for the playoff rotation.


If you're telling me that bench is Matthews and RHJ, I think you'd be surprised how LBJ, CP3, and AD could make that lineup effective.

Really, people default to "shoot outs" but that's not it. It's about LAL having 1 elite defender at all critical positions. Except, with Caruso, LAL would have 2 at PG, 1 at wing with LBJ, and 1 with AD as a switch big.

It's not so scary anymore.

If if it's Hollis Jefferson, then, the lineups still work with a 4-1 offensive set up with RHJ going between wing and 4.

This is why I'm optimistic with this kind of lineup. Like I said, it's tougher to get starpower that moves the needle, but it's WAY easier to get replacement wings. The starpower elevates the effectiveness of the rest of the roster, as long as at least 2 are on the floor at the same time.

If you want to scare teams, and LAL is willing, use the MLE on Harkless, and now we've got 2 PG defenders, 2 wing defenders, and AD as a DPOY candidate.

There's your death lineup.


CP3 is not an elite defender, team or otherwise. Dort and SGA made his life much easier on defense. He isn't a good spot up shooter, (not really ingrained into muscle memory, and he's a small target) and neither is Caruso, especially in starting roles. And of course AD isn't playing the 5 for most of the season, so if our starting center has no 3-point range, there won't be much spacing for the P&r. Also, CP3 is not the threat he once was to get all the way to the rim, only had 54 makes within 3 feet all season.

If the Lakers let KCP/Bradley/Green/Rondo go and sign Harkless just to save about 6 million in luxury tax, we have a better chance of winning the lottery for New Orleans than winning another championship.

Harkless better get in great shape, he would be chasing guards all season with AC in foul trouble nightly. Wes or Moe would probably move into the starting lineup, but whenever AD isn't at the 5, Harkless couldn't be in there with LeBron. Better hope Cousins pans out in this scenario. Otherwise Wes Matthews and AD are the only catch-shooters in a starting lineup that frankly sucks at perimeter defense. RHJ leaves a trail of bent rims missing orange paint wherever he goes, so he's no solution.

It was dumb luck we fielded a championship team under the cap with so many minimum salary players. We cannot count on finding those same bargains this year. LeBron failed with many a team that tried to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 43 of 69
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB