CP3 to Lakers? (Nope -Traded to the Suns)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
yeah.. CP3 and rondo aren't going to coexist. and I think I'd take playoff rondo over injured and unable to play CP3 in the playoffs

On the contrary, CP3 has been healthy all season, played every game in the Playoffs and only missed 2 games in the regular season and not because of health but due to Kobe's death.

I get the stigma of CP3 always being hurt similar to non-Lakers fans having a stigma of Kuzma not playing defense but if you follow what CP3 has been doing with his diet, his workout, his body, you know, he definitely turned it around this season.

for sure.. I'll take healthy CP3 over playoff rondo.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
yeah.. CP3 and rondo aren't going to coexist. and I think I'd take playoff rondo over injured and unable to play CP3 in the playoffs

On the contrary, CP3 has been healthy all season, played every game in the Playoffs and only missed 2 games in the regular season and not because of health but due to Kobe's death.

I get the stigma of CP3 always being hurt similar to non-Lakers fans having a stigma of Kuzma not playing defense but if you follow what CP3 has been doing with his diet, his workout, his body, you know, he definitely turned it around this season.

An fwiw Thugnomoe I wouldn't overlook CP3 and Rajon co-existing together.
After their fight Lebron did a group FaceTime between the three of them to squash their beef.
You already seen the next time they faced off there was no more hatred amongst themselves. Just out their hoopin.

Imagine two Floor generals who got clamps on defense on the squad to relieve Lebron from his playmaking responsibilites a bit.
Especially in year 18?
Cp3 starting , Rajon coming in as his spotter. Or Vice Versa...

What happens to Quinn Cook though?

An fwiw both players healthy in the playoffs are pretty much equal. Rajon basically puts up the same if not better numbers than Chris in all his playoff performances.
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject:

This may be in the previous 40+ pages somewhere, so if I missed it, sorry.

What would stop CP3 and OKC doing a buyout, say at $50 mill instead of the $80 he is owed and then we pay him the $30 over 2 years? I thought the player and the team could agree to waive offset of new contracts in buyouts.

OKC gets off the bad contract and we make CP3 whole at a reasonable price.
13thOverallPick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Maybe Lebron doesnt want to start season too soon not just for him, but for Chris Paul
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject:

parsons777 wrote:

What would stop CP3 and OKC doing a buyout, say at $50 mill instead of the $80 he is owed and then we pay him the $30 over 2 years? I thought the player and the team could agree to waive offset of new contracts in buyouts.

My guess would be OKC not wanting to eat $50M for no reason. Paul can be used to get young players from other teams. I wish they'd just pay the man to clear him out, but come on, that isn't happening.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject:

BlueNGold wrote:
parsons777 wrote:

My guess would be OKC not wanting to eat $50M for no reason. Paul can be used to get young players from other teams. I wish they'd just pay the man to clear him out, but come on, that isn't happening.

Certainly, they'd explore every other possible option before doing that.

Also, don't underestimate the spitefulness of other teams discouraging them from doing LA a favor. It's one thing to trade CP3 here and watch him win a ring or two. It's an entirely different thing to buy him out and watch him win a ring or two while they're still paying him $25 million per year.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject:

parsons777 wrote:

CP3. He wants the $.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

I'll take a healthy CP3 and a vet min wing over Rondo and Green.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
PASTOR RILEY
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

Agree

babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject:

PASTOR RILEY wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

Agree

Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
PASTOR RILEY wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

Agree

Some think such a choice would also cost KCP and Bradley. Could Caruso start 60+ games and average 30 minutes?

I'd do the deal if KCP and Caruso are kept. If Kuzma is lost, we need Morris. All of these stipulations must be satisfied or there will be chemistry issues, and the deal isn't worth those. Losing Rondo would hurt, he'd get more than he would be worth to us in this scenario.
cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject:

IMHO, no, no, no, no, unless he comes without costing us much, which is not going to happen this year. He's an ex Clippers, and carries that Clippers curse: sh*t happens at the most unfortunate times. He seems healthy only when nothing matters, like this year. CBS article rearranged:

2015: Paul played in all 82 regular-season games during the 2014-15 season, but suffered a hamstring injury in Game 7 of the first round of the playoffs against the San Antonio Spurs.

2016: Paul broke a bone in his right hand during Game 4 of the first round of the playoffs against the Portland Trail Blazers. The injury occurred with Paul's Clippers up 2-1 in the series; they would not win another game in the series, and ultimately fell 4-2 to Portland. Paul did not return after sustaining the Game 4 injury.

2018: The Houston Rockets clinched a pivotal Game 5 victory on Thursday to take a 3-2 Western Conference finals lead over the Golden State Warriors. Even in the win, though, it felt like a loss for Houston, which saw Chris Paul come up hobbled late in the game. Paul left in the final minute with an apparent hamstring injury and did not return.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject:

cannga11 wrote:
IMHO, no, no, no, no, unless he comes without costing us much, which is not going to happen this year. He's an ex Clippers, and carries that Clippers curse: sh*t happens at the most unfortunate times. He seems healthy only when nothing matters, like this year. CBS article rearranged:

2015: Paul played in all 82 regular-season games during the 2014-15 season, but suffered a hamstring injury in Game 7 of the first round of the playoffs against the San Antonio Spurs.

2016: Paul broke a bone in his right hand during Game 4 of the first round of the playoffs against the Portland Trail Blazers. The injury occurred with Paul's Clippers up 2-1 in the series; they would not win another game in the series, and ultimately fell 4-2 to Portland. Paul did not return after sustaining the Game 4 injury.

2018: The Houston Rockets clinched a pivotal Game 5 victory on Thursday to take a 3-2 Western Conference finals lead over the Golden State Warriors. Even in the win, though, it felt like a loss for Houston, which saw Chris Paul come up hobbled late in the game. Paul left in the final minute with an apparent hamstring injury and did not return.

How did his 2020 season go?

Do you think he'd actually have the same responsibility as a Laker next to LeBron and AD?

Did you know Lamar Odom was an Ex Clipper too? What about Jared Dudley? Avery Bradley? Did any of that Clipper stuff matter?

Nope.

cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
cannga11 wrote:

1. How did his 2020 season go?

2. Do you think he'd actually have the same responsibility as a Laker next to LeBron and AD?

3. Did you know Lamar Odom was an Ex Clipper too? What about Jared Dudley? Avery Bradley? Did any of that Clipper stuff matter?

Nope.

1. 2020 is not 2021. For one, he will no longer be 35 . And with THAT history, the probability is not in our favor.

2. With him on board, we will likely look at a gutted/thin Lakers team. He would NEED to have the same responsibility. And he is not going to play D like KCP, etc. Two 36 year old's in the lineup is the kiss of death against Clippers or Denver IMO.

3. Note smilie.

The argument is not whether he is a great addition, it is the cost for him is too much for someone with a history, and will be 36 years old.
***Present Lakers without Chris Paul: title favorite.
***New Lakers with Chris Paul injured: no way. Not saying that I am right, he will be injured, but this is the probability that I don't want to take. A wasted year for old James's chance of another title is too much to be dependent on a 36 year old, injury prone (IMHO) player.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject:

1. I expect reduced minutes for CP3, LBJ, and AD if all 3 are on the team.
2. He wouldn't have the same responsibility because of LeBron. Did the Clippers or OKC have another playmaking star next to him? No. He has that AND an elite finisher in AD.
3. You're banking on age, and I get it.

But at the same time, OKC was supposed to be a lottery team and he took OKC to Game 7 vs. Houston with perceived Harden as a greater player.

I buy the age argument, but I'm not buying anything else, especially when LAL would basically be the only 3 star team in the league.

LAL didn't practice that much all last season and that helps all the veterans. CP3 can rest that hamstring and play reduced minutes, and LAL should still be dominant. We only need 6 minutes a quarter out of him.

vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject:

And what happens to our title hopes if Bron or AD go down to injury as well? With Cp3 you can stagger those guys much better among each other during the regular season so that you can have them at near 100 during the playoffs. Not to mention Bron is going to be 36 and has no business being our full time regular season point gawd again.

Folks are scared that we'd give up too much cap space to add mid tier players to the roster with (tpMLE vs ntpMLE)...but why do we keep ignoring that we rounded out the roster with vet min types and its those guys primarily that helped us during our title run.

Green/McGee/Av/Cook (25m+) vs Rondo/Dwight/AC/Kieff (<9m)

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Well, sure, but you can only trade for CP3, not "a healthy CP3." That's the biggest problem (other than the sheer implausibility of the trade, but it's the offseason, so what the heck).
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Well, sure, but you can only trade for CP3, not "a healthy CP3." That's the biggest problem (other than the sheer implausibility of the trade, but it's the offseason, so what the heck).

Everyone is assuming that because of his age, not his reduced responsibility as a Laker.

That really puzzles me.

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject:

The shortened year made cp3 more valuable. Look what it did for brons defense. He had legs. I am all fora 72 game season.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Everyone is assuming that because of his age, not his reduced responsibility as a Laker.

That really puzzles me.

His age is relevant, for sure. If we’re comparing him to Rondo and Green for discussion purposes, this is really a wash. They aren’t young, either. But a trade for CP3 would affect the rest of the roster because (at least under the proposals I’ve seen), we’d be adding net salary. Quite a bit. I do not claim to be a salary cap guru, and I have not tried to add up the numbers. If the rest of the roster ends up depleted, then the CP3 injury risk is magnified.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
And what happens to our title hopes if Bron or AD go down to injury as well? With Cp3 you can stagger those guys much better among each other during the regular season so that you can have them at near 100 during the playoffs. Not to mention Bron is going to be 36 and has no business being our full time regular season point gawd again.

Folks are scared that we'd give up too much cap space to add mid tier players to the roster with (tpMLE vs ntpMLE)...but why do we keep ignoring that we rounded out the roster with vet min types and its those guys primarily that helped us during our title run.

Green/McGee/Av/Cook (25m+) vs Rondo/Dwight/AC/Kieff (<9m)

Yup. That AD/LeBron/CP3 trio is too good to pass up. Assuming Caruso is left out of the trade and then KCP is resigned, we have our 5 of our core. Still have MLE, BAE, and vet min and possible vet min guys include: Boogie, Wes Matthews, Melo, Jeff Green, etc.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject:

What sells me on Chris Paul is that he was on the all-defensive teams and not too long ago a top 10 defender in the NBA, maybe even top 5. You now put him around AD, Bron, Dwight, and the defensive mindset of this group with a great coach like Vogel, it will make the defense even better on paper.

What I worry about is the huge salary impact and the guys we would be losing. If we can keep guys like Caruso, Bradley, KCP, and re-sign Dwight and Morris. I would probably say it ends up helping this team quite a bit.

The main concern would be the mindset of CP3. He has to come with a mentality of being a jack of all trades, high impact role player, with leadership. He didn't always do that in Houston, and we saw how it failed with Harden and Melo etc. He definitely leads well when he is the undisputed star of the team. But when he has had to gel with another star or two, like in Houston or with prime Blake/DAJ, it didn't always go well. That said, again, we have seen bigger head cases like Dwight, Rondo etc have issues elsewhere and come here and be great in Lakers culture. So long as CP3 would come to fit in, it would probably end up being a move that puts us significantly ahead of the pack. We're the best team when we're locked in defensively, but teams are within striking distance. A move like CP3 that has CP3 trying to fit in, probably puts significant separation from us and the other contenders.

I don't know if Presti can do better than Kuz, 28th pick, THT and expiring contracts. I wonder if we even try to keep Kuz out of it, because as far as I can tell, the market for CP3 is not all that great. His contract is ridiculously large, and I don't see too many teams wanting it. Certainly, I can not see too many teams having expiring contracts to offer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject:

The crux of the arguments for or against him is how they fill out the rest of the roster. The Lakers will need to add several players that fit on the floor and establish solid chemistry. If they can do that is the risk.

Still too many unknowns to predict success or failure IMO. If the addition of Paul depletes the roster and a couple key role players choose to move on to other teams.... that is a lot of player chemistry to replace.

And having to replace with limited assets and money. To rest Paul and James as much as some are proposing it will take quality depth. Going to be interesting to see how they are able to add players who can take that significant weight of responsibility who are willing to play for vet mins.

I dont particularly like the Paul trade idea. But it will be interesting as hell to see who they can get to fill out the team if they do.

IMO the bigger factor is going to be the length of the season. If it is a100 game season I think the odds get way down for a repeat. The shorter the season the better the chances that “ wear and tear “ or high mileage players is not a factor.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject:

I would be in favor of trading for CP3. But I don't think it happens. I think CP3 will likely go to an Eastern Conf. team.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject:

With or without a Paul trade it is going to be another waiting game to see how the season even looks. Huge factors of length of season, manageable profit losses affecting the salary cap and player wages and ongoing COVID concerns all loom large.

League still needs to figure out those issues before any trade or free agent changes can even be considered.

Going to be interesting! At least the Lakers have one championship in the pocket no matter what happens next.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 42 of 69
Jump to: