What docs have you been watching?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Tiger is an Uber rare confluence of natural talent and early, relentless training of it. He’s also an extreme narcissist which both helps him maintain his focus and aggression on the course and makes him a wretched example of a human off it.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Operation Odessa on Netflix is really good.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Long Way Up is a fun fun show. It's on Apple TV. They also made previous shows on BBC years and years ago. I think they were called Long Way Down and Long Way Around.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:04 am    Post subject:

Netflix's Murder Among the Mormons is really good. Worth checking out.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Halfway thru the 4th and last epi of "The Night Stalker" (re: Richard Ramirez) on Netflix. The most thorough depiction of the crimes ever put together and the best piece bar none at putting faces/lives behind his victims. Not that you didn't feel sorrow for them before, but this really brings that time back to mind. It was a different world. This POS was a one-man wrecking crew and the stuff of nightmare. The 4th epi focuses on his chase. I'm not all the way thru it, but it hasn't really discussed the whys behind his creation. To its credit, it focuses on his victims' and survivors and his victim's loved ones and also on the people behind his manhunt. He was as close to a vampire or werewolf as the myths would allow. Good riddance.

I wish they added a few episodes and interviewed the women who fell in love with him. i am fascinated by that dynamic. The menendez bros etc.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Assassins (2020)
Quote:
An account of the two women convicted of assassinating Kim Jong-un's half-brother, Kim Jong-nam. The film follows the women's trials in an attempt to understand whether they are trained killers or simply pawns.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11394276/

The best doc movie I've seen in a long time.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject:

There are two docs on Netflix I recommend if the subject matters sounds appealing. Both deal with the art world.

The first is "Made You Look: A True Story About Fake Art". It's about how a renowned New York galley, the Knoedler Gallery, peddled high end forgeries during the height of the market Abstract Expressionist works by artists like Rothko, Pollock and others. It's an interesting commentary into the world of the high-end collectors and investigation into the possible complicity by the gallery's director Ann Friedman. I was a Fine Arts major who was very much into Art History - particularly the Ab-Ex movement. So I found it facinating to see how such "connoisseurs" and experts were fooled by what was apparently the talents of one woman who could so closely replicate the works of a variety of artists. And it's a good lesson in how people will be fooled into the whole "too good to be true" thing. I mean the idea that all these great pieces by so many master painters had somehow eluded the knowledge of the art world until one person came along saying that they had a collection of them definitely falls into that category.

The second is "This Is a Robbery: The World’s Biggest Art Heist", another significant moment in the '90's art world that I remember from back in the day. It deals with the heist of a collection of masterpieces from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston in 1990. Renowned pieces from some of the greats worth hundreds of millions were stolen in the middle of the night. It's a multi-part foray into the fascinating discussion the various characters who were involved from the hippy/musician/stoner guard who let the perpetrators (disguised as Boston cops) in, the possible mobsters who contracted the theft and the storied master thief who would seemingly be the prime suspect, but was behind bars at the time.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject:

As a public service announcement, fine art majors should be forced to work in massage parlors. That is all.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Being a fine arts major is like being a British princess. Just off yourself already and leave us alone.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject:

I totally get why the idea of artistic endeavor would intimidate and confuse the unsophisticated and uncultured who spend their days hanging out in grannie’s attic.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
There are two docs on Netflix I recommend if the subject matters sounds appealing. Both deal with the art world.

The first is "Made You Look: A True Story About Fake Art". It's about how a renowned New York galley, the Knoedler Gallery, peddled high end forgeries during the height of the market Abstract Expressionist works by artists like Rothko, Pollock and others.

Saw that. It should've been a consideration that an art imitator from Asia was likely behind all those un-aged paintings. I think that woman who sold them was complicit. Her only defense otherwise is that she was too stupid to see it as too good to be true that all these paintings worth millions were cropping up one after another and w/o the standard age of the materials that they should've shown. A warning sign should've been that none of the paintings she was getting from one source and selling to other richies over the years were in the artists' catalogues of known works. There aren't simply Pollocks, Rothkos, and Motherwells out there that have never been seen. The forger himself was good, but as they explained, he felt a certain amount of cultural prestige for simply being a great counterfeiter of multiple styles.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

The first is "Made You Look: A True Story About Fake Art". It's about how a renowned New York galley, the Knoedler Gallery, peddled high end forgeries during the height of the market Abstract Expressionist works by artists like Rothko, Pollock and others.

Saw that. It should've been a consideration that an art imitator from Asia was likely behind all those un-aged paintings. I think that woman who sold them was complicit. Her only defense otherwise is that she was too stupid to see it as too good to be true that all these paintings worth millions were cropping up one after another and w/o the standard age of the materials that they should've shown. A warning sign should've been that none of the paintings she was getting from one source and selling to other richies over the years were in the artists' catalogues of known works. There aren't simply Pollocks, Rothkos, and Motherwells out there that have never been seen. The forger himself was good, but as they explained, he felt a certain amount of cultural prestige for simply being a great counterfeiter of multiple styles.

Yeah, she tried to play the "I was duped as well" story, but she clearly had to have known something was up after that first "find". But I think they notoriety and prestige presented by the alleged opportunity and the lucrative nature of it all lead her look the other way and play along. I think she may have initially conned herself into belief at first, but eventually it would have been obvious to her.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Waiting for lucy the human chimp on hbo, end of this month
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject:

I finally got around to Challenger: The Final Flight on Netflix. Man it’s devastating knowing that this was 100% avoidable but they ignored the engineers’ concerns because they didn’t want to delay again. It reminds me a lot of Chernobyl and how that too was avoidable but “let’s just get this done now” trumped safety.

I also watched White Boy (there’s also a movie called White Boy Rick) about the teenager that the feds used to get info for drug arrests, almost for him killed, then locked him up for life on drug charges.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Yeah, she tried to play the "I was duped as well" story, but she clearly had to have known something was up after that first "find". But I think they notoriety and prestige presented by the alleged opportunity and the lucrative nature of it all lead her look the other way and play along. I think she may have initially conned herself into belief at first, but eventually it would have been obvious to her.

It was also a tipoff that the forger was very good at copying numerous artists' styles, but he conveniently just happened to excel in abstract expressionism, which is among the easiest art to counterfeit because it's relatively simple. Ths paintings that Mark Rothko, Jackson Pollock, Robert Motherwell, and Willem de Kooning made are all "doable" by any artist who has a touch of basic talent, at least until you look closer at the paint layers, canvass, aging issues, etc. That's why that counterfeiter didn't specialize in a genre of art that was much more difficult to replicate (think van Gogh, Picasso, old masters etc). Most Rothko color field paintings looked like that one in Mad Men (the one they showed was fake), but the show was still able to pass it off as a real one because even the real ones are essentiailly "smudgy squares". Rothko slit his wrists, btw. Pollock ran off the road in a drunken stupor. That goes to Omar's point that art majors and artists, by extension, are sick, sordid freaks.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Oh, forgot, but I saw that Netflix one on the Hotel Cecil in L.A. It was based on the disappearance of a Canadian college student/tourist. She somehow died and disappeared and all they had was a camera that caught her acting weird by an elevator before she disappeared. Then 3 weeks later, they found that she was dead and floating in one of the water towers on top of the hotel. People had been bathing in and brushing their teeth with this water her body was decomposing in. When they turned on the faucets, black-to-dark gray water would come out. That is revolting, I remember feelin grossed out the rest of the day just thinking of it. I don't recall tho where they left that case or if it has even been solved to this day. She was found nude in the water and the door to the top had to be cut into for her to gain access.

Anyone else? Anyone? Anyone? Mule-er? Mueller? Mule-er?
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject:

A few of my favorite documentaries of 2020:

Dick Johnson is Dead
The Painter and the Thief
TIME
My Octopus Teacher
Collective

Not a film but a TV series: How to with John Wilson.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:

Dick Johnson is Dead
TIME
My Octopus Teacher
Collective

This is a very good list.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:

Dick Johnson is Dead
TIME
My Octopus Teacher
Collective

Octopus one was fascinating. Brilliant little buggerz.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Oh, forgot, but I saw that Netflix one on the Hotel Cecil in L.A. It was based on the disappearance of a Canadian college student/tourist. She somehow died and disappeared and all they had was a camera that caught her acting weird by an elevator before she disappeared. Then 3 weeks later, they found that she was dead and floating in one of the water towers on top of the hotel. People had been bathing in and brushing their teeth with this water her body was decomposing in. When they turned on the faucets, black-to-dark gray water would come out. That is revolting, I remember feelin grossed out the rest of the day just thinking of it. I don't recall tho where they left that case or if it has even been solved to this day. She was found nude in the water and the door to the top had to be cut into for her to gain access.

A lot of people, myself included, think this was probably caused by mental health issues and during this episode or psychotic break she found her way to the tank which led to her unfortunate death.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I was a Fine Arts major who was very much into Art History - particularly the Ab-Ex movement.

I just came across a doc on Spectrum demand feature that I had seen months ago, but forgot. It's called "Brillo box 3 cents off". It was about a woman who traced the provenance of a yellow Brillo box sculpture by Warhol that her folks bought in the 60s at his gallery for a couple hundred and when she first went on the net to research it, it was being sold at Christie's and hammered for over 3 mill. She knew it was her fam's former box because Warhol signed it for her dad in the day. Turns out her folks had to give away art to buy more of it, but they lost out on a 3 mill Warhol in trade for a piece from a relatively unknown artist. Sucks.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

A lot of people, myself included, think this was probably caused by mental health issues and during this episode or psychotic break she found her way to the tank which led to her unfortunate death.

I did too. What we could see on the monitor was some odd looking behavior and there is no other reason to think foul play until it presents itself. However, they still couldn't figure out how she knew the water tower was even there much less how to open it. Plus, they showed that the Cecil had another portion that was housing some seedier clientele. The black water part was just gross tho. How disgusted would you feel and for how long after you learned you bathed and brushed your teeth in (and maybe even cooked with or drank some) water that a body was decomping in. My God, maybe Trump was right about drinking Chlorox. Hello, Doctor's office, can I please see the doc, stat?! They had to flush out the tank w/ chorine all day after they got her body out of there.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject:

^ yeah that part makes me sick. As someone who doesn’t mind drinking tap water occasionally — including at hotels when I don’t want to go searching for a gift shop or pay $2-5 for a tiny bottle — it really grossed me out.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Halfway thru the 4th and last epi of "The Night Stalker" (re: Richard Ramirez) on Netflix. The most thorough depiction of the crimes ever put together and the best piece bar none at putting faces/lives behind his victims. Not that you didn't feel sorrow for them before, but this really brings that time back to mind. It was a different world. This POS was a one-man wrecking crew and the stuff of nightmare. The 4th epi focuses on his chase. I'm not all the way thru it, but it hasn't really discussed the whys behind his creation. To its credit, it focuses on his victims' and survivors and his victim's loved ones and also on the people behind his manhunt. He was as close to a vampire or werewolf as the myths would allow. Good riddance.

I wish they added a few episodes and interviewed the women who fell in love with him. i am fascinated by that dynamic. The menendez bros etc.

Agreed, to me, some level of mental illness has to be a root cause. It's like how serial killers (some, not Ramirez) are able to compartmentalize their lives to the extent that they can raise a family or be upstanding citizens (like BTK and DeAngelo, two of the most heinous serial rapists/killers ever). Those fools wouldn't have liked him as much had they awakened to him standing over them. I don't see why they allow those people into court procedures involving these people because their presence gives freaks like Ramirez validation or whatever else. They shouldn't be allowed to be given that kind of satisfaction and while family members of the deceased have to look at them. I'm more interested in how they are currently solving these ancient cold cases via geneology. The NYT reported 3 cases of people found dead/murdered and they were able to find their identities and then they can perhaps have a better footing to find the culprits. Another thing that is weird is that a lot of these serial killers come to S. California. I wonder if that's merely for the weather like many others desire or if it's purposely to blend among a large pop or what.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject:

A lot have come to or been in the PNW too
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10
Jump to: