Did Jerry West Screw The Clippers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
MJST wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
Jerry West>>>>>>Jeanie Buss

1. A.C. Green
2. Vlade Divac
3. Elden Campbell
4. Ceballos for Horry
5. Nick Van Exel
6. The trade dump of Lynch and Peeler to free up cap space and letting Vancouver be the suckers
7. Trade with Charlotte for Kobe
8. Derek Fisher
9. Blocking the Tarpley/Aguirre for Worthy trade
10. Nixon for Scott

these were all West

and by those same metrics, Sharman >>>>>>> West (as another poster eloquently said earlier: with a "Rolls Royce" thrown in for good measure)

You wont get any complaints out of me about Sharman. That old Leprechaun became a real Laker (like Rick Fox) and gelled a supremely talented team into the best versions of themselves as a coach with Wilt and West and set up the Showtime dynasty. The drafting of Nixon where he was selected, putting together the Kareem trade, obtaining the draft pick for Worthy - swapping a lowly first round pick in the current year to bet on a team he thought would suck and give a higher draft pick later, and of course letting aging Goodrich walk that ended up being Magic Johnson (although its hard to credit this one - more like a fluky good luck than real foresight)

Agreed about Sharman.

Also the move Jerry West made that was then nixxed by our coach at the time Del Harris.. was that Jerry West was about to make the move that would have gotten us Tracy McGrady, for Eddie Jones. Also he would have been paired with the Shaq and Kobe Lakers.

Now imagine what kind of steal that would have been, and what kind of dynasty they'd have had. But alas, along with Del Harris thinking Kobe's ceiling was as a 6th man, he also refused Tracy McGrady because he thought Eddie Jones was the future of the team. Oh well..

Frankly Im not going to (bleep) on Del for Kobe or McGrady. If I was in Del's shoes, I do not give him more minutes over Jones or Ceballos/Horry his rookie year because Del correctly knew Kobe was not ready and those other players were either better than Kobe at the time (Jones) or fit better with his other teammates (Horry). A hot dogging playmaker brilliant but prone to narcissism and making the stupidest turnovers that would make you want to pull your hair out - that was the young Kobe Bryant. Del also correctly said Kobe's ceiling was hall of fame player and lets be real - he had Nick Van Exel one of the most highly respected clutch players in his team playing well against Utah in that memorable game 5 and he gave the clutch shots to Kobe instead of Nick. That is trust right there - stupid but shows he had a very high opinion of Kobe. As for T-Mac, I dont blame Del and more importantly Buss not wanting to give up a young all star like Eddie for a kid. But I think with Buss's support, West would have pulled that trigger. McGrady at point guard and Kobe would play the traditional shooting guard role which he did his first 2-3 years in the league would have been death for the league. That team realistically 4 peats from 2000-2003 with the end still coming at the same exact time - 2004 Detroit. I dont think having even a prime T-Mac prevents that loss.

Given health (and no ego clashes), Kobe/T-Mac would've been Jordan/Pippen 2.0 except that either guy could play either role depending on the match up. With Shaq in the mix, that team dominates until it collapses under the weight of ego - they probably get 5 and then Shaq's contract ends.

But that is assuming PJax as coach - Del couldn't handle Shaq/NVE. Shaq/Kobe/T-Mac would've required either Phil Jackson or Dr. Phil McGraw.

T-Mac would later say that he'd have been fine playing the Pippen role with Kobe and Shaq being the main force and he "had" to be the man in Orlando because he was all they had, but that with Shaq and Kobe he'd have been 100% fine with being Pippen.

So, the ego clash would have been Kobe and Shaq, and when Shaq was gone, Kobe and McGrady would have been what remained essentially.

I could see them getting to a 4th finals in a row, and I can see them beating Detroit in their 5th, 5 rings before Shaq left is essentially how I'd see it going as well. If they still pulled off the "Payton/Malone" trade, or even just getting one of them, I don't see them losing to Detroit. A lineup of Gary Payton, Kobe Bryant, Tracy Mcgrady, Karl Malone and Shaq would just have been too much to deal with. Even with Detroit's defense, if they caused issues for Shaq or Kobe due to how they played them, that'd still leave McGrady, so they'd really have to pick their poison and I don't think even Larry Brown could have stopped that.

Kobe and T-Mac were very close. They would have had zero issues getting along. And given McGrady's amicable personality and ginormous talent, maybe Shaq may have even calmed down as he saw that he was surrounded by two guys who could take him to the finals year in and year out. Imagine a world where he takes his shelf life seriously, loses some weight, and emphasizes defense while Kobe and T-Mac drop 60/10/10 together.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Imagine the Jeannie slander if they got knocked out in the 2nd round
Enjoying the ride to #17
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
MJST wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
MJST wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
Jerry West>>>>>>Jeanie Buss

1. A.C. Green
2. Vlade Divac
3. Elden Campbell
4. Ceballos for Horry
5. Nick Van Exel
6. The trade dump of Lynch and Peeler to free up cap space and letting Vancouver be the suckers
7. Trade with Charlotte for Kobe
8. Derek Fisher
9. Blocking the Tarpley/Aguirre for Worthy trade
10. Nixon for Scott

these were all West

and by those same metrics, Sharman >>>>>>> West (as another poster eloquently said earlier: with a "Rolls Royce" thrown in for good measure)

You wont get any complaints out of me about Sharman. That old Leprechaun became a real Laker (like Rick Fox) and gelled a supremely talented team into the best versions of themselves as a coach with Wilt and West and set up the Showtime dynasty. The drafting of Nixon where he was selected, putting together the Kareem trade, obtaining the draft pick for Worthy - swapping a lowly first round pick in the current year to bet on a team he thought would suck and give a higher draft pick later, and of course letting aging Goodrich walk that ended up being Magic Johnson (although its hard to credit this one - more like a fluky good luck than real foresight)

Agreed about Sharman.

Also the move Jerry West made that was then nixxed by our coach at the time Del Harris.. was that Jerry West was about to make the move that would have gotten us Tracy McGrady, for Eddie Jones. Also he would have been paired with the Shaq and Kobe Lakers.

Now imagine what kind of steal that would have been, and what kind of dynasty they'd have had. But alas, along with Del Harris thinking Kobe's ceiling was as a 6th man, he also refused Tracy McGrady because he thought Eddie Jones was the future of the team. Oh well..

Frankly Im not going to (bleep) on Del for Kobe or McGrady. If I was in Del's shoes, I do not give him more minutes over Jones or Ceballos/Horry his rookie year because Del correctly knew Kobe was not ready and those other players were either better than Kobe at the time (Jones) or fit better with his other teammates (Horry). A hot dogging playmaker brilliant but prone to narcissism and making the stupidest turnovers that would make you want to pull your hair out - that was the young Kobe Bryant. Del also correctly said Kobe's ceiling was hall of fame player and lets be real - he had Nick Van Exel one of the most highly respected clutch players in his team playing well against Utah in that memorable game 5 and he gave the clutch shots to Kobe instead of Nick. That is trust right there - stupid but shows he had a very high opinion of Kobe. As for T-Mac, I dont blame Del and more importantly Buss not wanting to give up a young all star like Eddie for a kid. But I think with Buss's support, West would have pulled that trigger. McGrady at point guard and Kobe would play the traditional shooting guard role which he did his first 2-3 years in the league would have been death for the league. That team realistically 4 peats from 2000-2003 with the end still coming at the same exact time - 2004 Detroit. I dont think having even a prime T-Mac prevents that loss.

Given health (and no ego clashes), Kobe/T-Mac would've been Jordan/Pippen 2.0 except that either guy could play either role depending on the match up. With Shaq in the mix, that team dominates until it collapses under the weight of ego - they probably get 5 and then Shaq's contract ends.

But that is assuming PJax as coach - Del couldn't handle Shaq/NVE. Shaq/Kobe/T-Mac would've required either Phil Jackson or Dr. Phil McGraw.

T-Mac would later say that he'd have been fine playing the Pippen role with Kobe and Shaq being the main force and he "had" to be the man in Orlando because he was all they had, but that with Shaq and Kobe he'd have been 100% fine with being Pippen.

So, the ego clash would have been Kobe and Shaq, and when Shaq was gone, Kobe and McGrady would have been what remained essentially.

I could see them getting to a 4th finals in a row, and I can see them beating Detroit in their 5th, 5 rings before Shaq left is essentially how I'd see it going as well. If they still pulled off the "Payton/Malone" trade, or even just getting one of them, I don't see them losing to Detroit. A lineup of Gary Payton, Kobe Bryant, Tracy Mcgrady, Karl Malone and Shaq would just have been too much to deal with. Even with Detroit's defense, if they caused issues for Shaq or Kobe due to how they played them, that'd still leave McGrady, so they'd really have to pick their poison and I don't think even Larry Brown could have stopped that.

Kobe and T-Mac were very close. They would have had zero issues getting along. And given McGrady's amicable personality and ginormous talent, maybe Shaq may have even calmed down as he saw that he was surrounded by two guys who could take him to the finals year in and year out. Imagine a world where he takes his shelf life seriously, loses some weight, and emphasizes defense while Kobe and T-Mac drop 60/10/10 together.

Shaq have the greatest potential out of all greats. Imagine Shaq with Kobe work ethic and getting the calls that Jordan did in his career. Spurs would run out of Malik Rose of the world.

In retrospective, trading Eddie Jones for a potential when you’re a win now mode will probably does not sit well with the team. West always have a good vision and did convince Warriors though to trade Monta Ellis when he was having his career year to draft Thompson. I think it’s important to know what players are winning type.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Guys, Jerry West is 82 years old. There's no way he'd be able to keep up with the work involved so someone at the Clippers is probably doing a lot of his work for him (which is probably why it's rumored Rivers had a lot of pull getting George.)

And more importantly Rob Pelinka has done an AMAZING job this year with what he was left with and after Kawhi screwed us.

There's no way we can oust Pelinka to bring back West right now, even though he was screwed by us.

It wouldn’t have to be either or, West and Pelinka would have different positions. But Jeanie is still hurt that Jerry criticized her relationship with Phil so it would never happen.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
drae wrote:
Guys, Jerry West is 82 years old. There's no way he'd be able to keep up with the work involved so someone at the Clippers is probably doing a lot of his work for him (which is probably why it's rumored Rivers had a lot of pull getting George.)

And more importantly Rob Pelinka has done an AMAZING job this year with what he was left with and after Kawhi screwed us.

There's no way we can oust Pelinka to bring back West right now, even though he was screwed by us.

It wouldn’t have to be either or, West and Pelinka would have different positions. But Jeanie is still hurt that Jerry criticized her relationship with Phil so it would never happen.

What the hell is wrong with her???? This is Jerry freaking West. Even if he told her to kiss his ass, she should be asking how many times not screw you. Rob with Jerry as his consigliere would be absolutely perfect.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject:

West is culpable just like everybody else in that pathetic organization from Balmer on down.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
drae wrote:

Jerry just wanted to be a consultant, but he mainly wanted to be here with his son in his late years. So it isn't a "Pelinka OR Jerry" kind of thing. As we'd have had both.

But as you said Jeanie is still bitter that that Jerry criticized her relationship with Phil and was ultimately right.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Jerry West was hired by the Clippers to get superstar FAs to look at them as a credible destination.

Ballmer saw how KD didn’t take them seriously and he saw how West brought credibility to GSW.

Kawhi is the first superstar FA to take the Clippers seriously so Jerry West did his job. It’s also Jerry West who recommended to draft SGA.

If Jerry West didn’t go to the Clippers, Ballmer would be still fighting that uphill battle of getting credibility as a top destination for FAs.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject:

I guess you blame West for getting George instead of someone like Oladipo, because George has a track record of not stepping up in the playoffs. It was on George to help out KL. Lou Williams antics hurt a lot too. Only wish we could have had the satisfaction of bouncing them out. Ring 17 for Kobe.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
drae wrote:

Jerry is the one who got butthurt and quit.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
drae wrote:

Assuming that's true I don't blame him. He was here when they had to drive around town and build up fan interest. He was the original Mr. Laker. He deserved more respect than that.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
drae wrote:

For real, some people here act like Jerry West is an absolute saint. It's always been known that West has a very dark side and caused plenty of problems himself which had rumors following him at every stop it's just most people don't want to hear that. I'm sure there's plenty of blame all around and a ton of things the public has no idea of as well (from all sides).

Don't get me wrong though, he's one of the greatest Lakers of all time and is very likely the best GM as well. He went to the Clippers though and tried to construct a team that would kill the Lakers chances and I completely get it from his point of view! As a Lakers fan though, I will only laugh at his failed attempt now. I will also say I firmly believe he had much less to do with the construction of the Clippers then many like to act like he did. Still an absolute great mind to have on your side though regardless of whether it's just some guidance here or there or as a full time gm.

We can rightfully laugh at him for a small amount of time right now and still respect the hell out of him for his unprecedented Career in all the different roles he has conquered. I have nothing but respect for him when talking about his entire career.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
drae wrote:

For real, some people here act like Jerry West is an absolute saint. It's always been known that West has a very dark side and caused plenty of problems himself which had rumors following him at every stop it's just most people don't want to hear that. I'm sure there's plenty of blame all around and a ton of things the public has no idea of as well (from all sides).

Don't get me wrong though, he's one of the greatest Lakers of all time and is very likely the best GM as well. He went to the Clippers though and tried to construct a team that would kill the Lakers chances and I completely get it from his point of view! As a Lakers fan though, I will only laugh at his failed attempt now. I will also say I firmly believe he had much less to do with the construction of the Clippers then many like to act like he did. Still an absolute great mind to have on your side though regardless of whether it's just some guidance here or there or as a full time gm.

We can rightfully laugh at him for a small amount of time right now and still respect the hell out of him for his unprecedented Career in all the different roles he has conquered. I have nothing but respect for him when talking about his entire career.

He's The Logo and he bled Purple & Gold . . . until he chose to no longer do so. He cashed 40 years worth of Lakers checks (20 years from Dr. Buss) and the team treated West's kids like part of the family for almost 20 more after that. Jerry West is one of the ALL TIME GREAT LAKERS and deserves tons of accolades.

But Jeanie doesn't owe him a job. He walked away from the one he had.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject:

JamezAmp wrote:
Jerry West is a consultant. He hasn’t run anything since he left Memphis.

Yup. Maybe it was their general manager's (and Ballmer's) decision to give away all those picks and SGA to the Thunder and West had little to do with it.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Wait, all this time you people thought Jerry West was the one making the big decisions in the Clippers FO? Really?
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Wait, all this time you people thought Jerry West was the one making the big decisions in the Clippers FO? Really?

Pretty sure most people here always thought he was just giving valuable insight to many of the decisions. There's always going to be a few posters that go to either extreme to try and prove whatever point there making though.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
hype wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
drae wrote:

He's The Logo and he bled Purple & Gold . . . until he chose to no longer do so. He cashed 40 years worth of Lakers checks (20 years from Dr. Buss) and the team treated West's kids like part of the family for almost 20 more after that. Jerry West is one of the ALL TIME GREAT LAKERS and deserves tons of accolades.

But Jeanie doesn't owe him a job. He walked away from the one he had.

Yeah, and sometimes it's not either sides fault fully. It's a lot like a long marriage that finally ends in a divorce as the two sides just aren't as close as they once were. You can hear many different reasons and excuses depending on which person you ask. I think at the end of the day that's what it is more then anything imo at least.

Give Jerry credit for leaving and proving his worth over and over for several other franchises and give Jenny credit for roughing out a very rough patch and hatred against her for awhile to finally bring the franchise back to that elite status where it deserves to be. As much as I once disliked her she did an absolutely fantastic job of learning from her mistakes and putting together a fantastic staff and roster from top to bottom. Many franchises never even reach this status *cough cough clippers*.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Don't you agree that Ballmer has done a sterling job with the Clippers so far?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Don't you agree that Ballmer has done a sterling job with the Clippers so far?

Ha ha very punny of you!
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject:

No. That’s a good roster. Doc did.
PinoyLBJFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:40 am    Post subject:

The coach and the players destroyed the clippers. They choke plain and simple.
Methodman1
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Did Jerry West Screw The Clippers?

Very rarely post here. Rarely post anywhere anymore.

Jerry West is the GOAT when it comes to NBA GM's. However Jerry West is not the Clippers GM. All that bs was put forward by the talking heads at ESPN etc. who lived off the Lakers vs Clippers. Suddenly it was West and Magic vs. the "incompetent" Rob Pelinka. The only reason Logo was thrust into the nonsense was because he's a ex-Laker. The Clippers pay him now. The Lakers wouldn't. Of course his comments now are going to be pro-Clippers.

But he's more like Don Corleone after he got shot and Sonny got wacked. A counselor. The Los Angeles Clippers, may they rot in H-E double hockey sticks, were nothing more than a tool to talk about what the media really wanted to talk about. LeBron James and the Lakers. Michael Winger, Mark Hughes, Trent Redden along with some agents who did not get along with Pelinka put the Clippers roster together. They're the ones who should be roasted.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Did Jerry West Screw The Clippers?

Methodman1 wrote:
But he's more like Don Corleone after he got shot and Sonny got wacked. A counselor.

That's a very good definition, actually
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

When everyone was bowing at the alter of the Clippers last summer, the rallying cry by many here was that Jerry West had rode in on his horse and saved yet another franchise. He was the reason they got Kawhi and PG, not Lawrence Frank, Doc Rivers, or anyone else.

Now that they've, once again, flamed out, West is just a feeble old man chipping in here and there, but absolved of all blame.

Funny how that works.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:01 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Judah wrote:

When everyone was bowing at the alter of the Clippers last summer, the rallying cry by many here was that Jerry West had rode in on his horse and saved yet another franchise. He was the reason they got Kawhi and PG, not Lawrence Frank, Doc Rivers, or anyone else.

Now that they've, once again, flamed out, West is just a feeble old man chipping in here and there, but absolved of all blame.

Funny how that works.

Kawhi was going to sign with an LA team with or without Jerry West. He preferred the Clippers because he didn't want to be second or third in pecking order.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: