Dealing with Unsolicited Phone Calls
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
XTC wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I'm rude. I answer. When I hear a sales pitch. I hang up and make a note of the number. I answer when KOST is playing the $1,000 keyword contest. Mostly I let calls go to voicemail. If it's important they'll leave a message.

Lately, I've been getting a lot of messages on my cell saying my Netflix has expired and needs attention, I have an undelivered package at FedEx, I can get the miracle pill for weight loss. All kinds of text I don't answer. Someone sold my number.

Those keyword contests for radio stations are a revenue generator since they can package listener information to marketers.

It's a shame that such ruses still work.

People still do Publisher's Clearing House after all these years . . .

Didn't know that. That may be the reason I'm getting so many BS text scams on my phone. Thanks. I go through the PCH offers. I know it's just for sales. I've gotten some good products from them.

I used to know the head of marketing for PCH. Nice woman, but she knew it was a bit of a con game of sorts.

That's obvious. The giveaway is, to better your chances to win buy, then the products display for about 7 pages. As I said I've gotten some things I really needed from PCH. I didn't know about the KOST keyword.

I have caller ID on my phone. It will sometimes alert you of a scam or sales call.

She disparaged their customer base, calling them"functional illiterates". But they would swamp PCH every year with subscription revenue.

The biz plan was simple, most magazines were willing to give away their magazines for free. They'd still make money on the ads, but then ABC (Audit Bureau of Circulations) demanded that the readers pay at least 50% of the price of a regular subscription. PCH would pocket the subscription revenue and pass the name over to the publisher for fulfillment. The publisher not only would satisfy the ABC requirements for valid ad revenue (which is based on paid circulation), they would also send renewal notices (at full or near full price) out to the subscribers when the subscription ended. Naturally most of the subscribers wouldn't renew with the publisher, and would wait for their PCH sweepstakes mailer for any renewals.

That's what made PCH bank as it was a rinse and repeat business with astoundingly low overhead expense.

I was getting daily emails from PCH. I've unsubscribed all further emails. I still get some but not nearly as many. I always unsubscribe. I know all that does is validate a email address. They send I unsubscribe. Rinse and repeat.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
delaluz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject:

One possible solution is to create an answering machine message consisting of:

1. first part of message: the 3 tones that play when you have reached a number that has been disconnected. You can find this toe on you tube.

2. rest of message" if this is an unsolicited call please hang up now. Else, please leave a message at the chime".

Supposedly the robo call software will hang up when it hears the 3 tone "disconnected" signal and will in some cases remove your number from their call list.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: