🏈NFL 2023 DISCUSSION THREAD🏈
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 333, 334, 335  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Brady and Belichick both look a lot less special without each other. To me this makes what Manning did when he moved to Denver look even more impressive.

B&B were a perfect storm they needed each other and will not be the same without the other.

I do agree this makes Manning look better only because the coaches, WR, teams were interchangeable with him. He went to 4 SBs for 4 different coaches. If only he won all of them...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Eagles 3 and out. Seahawks didn't make a tackle. 3 missed passes. It's do or die for Carson Wentz tonight. His contract keeps him working. Great goalline stand by Eagles.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Jalen Hurts starts 2nd quarter for 1 play. Wentz got sacked on the second play of the second quarter.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Luckily for Anthony Lynn the ownership has super low standards so he might simply keep his job just because they don't want to bring attention to themselves.

He is masquerading as a head coach and it isn't just the last game.

I actually like Lynn maybe as an assistant coach, but his clock management and game strategies are a disaster literally every week.

Luckily for him, the Chargers are too cheap to fire him mid season and bring in a real coach....maybe they blow him out for Gus Bradley, but he stinks also.

Cursed organization, consider them a present to Los Angeles and not a good one from us here in San Diego County.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Eagles 3 and out. Seahawks didn't make a tackle. 3 missed passes. It's do or die for Carson Wentz tonight. His contract keeps him working. Great goalline stand by Eagles.

Actually, if you look at the numbers, they are stuck with him next year too unless they can get a dumb team to take him and pay his contract.

His regression has been shocking, I was very high on him.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Actually, if you look at the numbers, they are stuck with him next year too unless they can get a dumb team to take him and pay his contract.

His regression has been shocking, I was very high on him.

He's missed some easy throws but I don't put all blame on him. The Eagles O line sucks. He's got happy feet. Carson's the most sacked QB in the league. If they do trade him, that's going to be hard because of his contract, he may come to life again.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Wentz is pathetic. He always looks at the side of the field he's going to, never looks anyone off, locks in on his guy, can't go through his progressions, is woefully inaccurate even on short passes right in front of him, and has no pocket awareness whatsoever which leads to far too many sacks.

Other than that, he's great.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Wentz is pathetic. He always looks at the side of the field he's going to, never looks anyone off, locks in on his guy, can't go through his progressions, is woefully inaccurate even on short passes right in front of him, and has no pocket awareness whatsoever which leads to far too many sacks.

Until last night, I hadn't watched Wentz this season. It's amazing how much he has regressed. His confidence is totally shot as he wasn't displaying those attributes in previous seasons. I was more than a bit surprised by that interception in the end zone, there wasn't a Phili receiver in the same zip code. While it was clearly miscommunication, I'm unsure whether it was Wentz or Dallas Goedert who blew the route or timing. What's strange is that Wentz had time, a clear passing lane. Goedert had stopped his route and broke to the wrong shoulder. I'd find it more understandable if an offensive lineman was breathing in Wentz' face, or if Wentz didn't have such an open passing lane.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Brady and Belichick both look a lot less special without each other. To me this makes what Manning did when he moved to Denver look even more impressive.

B&B were a perfect storm they needed each other and will not be the same without the other.

I do agree this makes Manning look better only because the coaches, WR, teams were interchangeable with him. He went to 4 SBs for 4 different coaches. If only he won all of them...

Manning would have been benched by Arians had been the coach of the Broncos. He didn't have the arm for a vertical offense, and Arians doesn't have the flexibility (or brains) to tweak his system to accommodate whatever was left to Manning's game at that point in his career.

The problems with Tampa Bay are deep.

On offense the receiving corp is definitely high-quality, but the pass protection doesn't fit with a vertical passing attack, nor does it fit with Brady's strengths. Tony Romo was pretty open with his criticism of Arians and Leftwich on Sunday, the offense is catered around 3 WRs executing go routes, which results in a huge void in the middle of the field as the safeties anticipate and play deep. It leaves a huge gap for running plays and a ton of real estate for short to intermediate passes, which Tampa Bay doesn't exploit. The offense is asking the QB to throw into insanely tight windows with low-percentage completion passes. If you go with vertical passing plays, you either need a highly mobile QB (Brady is not) or an offensive line capable of providing pass protection (which isn't the case in Tampa Bay). To cap off this stupidity, Tampa Bay doesn't use any motion in the backfield, so the QB is left guessing after the snap whether he's facing zone or man defense in coverage.

On defense they play lots of soft zone defense, and I'm still torn as to why. Is it inflexibility by the former NY Jets head coach Bowles, or is it a serious deficiency among the DBs. I thought Tampa Bay would shore up the defensive backfield before the trade deadline as the problems became obvious, but they somehow chose not to. Safety help tends to be late and two of their three CBs (Murphy-Bunting in particular is practice squad material) are perpetually burned bad. They also emphasize pressure and send the EDGE players, which burns them on both short passes and outside runs as the EDGE players tend to take themselves out of the play via penetration. The defensive line is still decent against the run, though losing Vita Vea for the season was huge. The problem is that a good offensive line will neutralize their pass rush, leaving them vulnerable in coverage.

Last edited by angrypuppy on Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Wentz has talent, arm strength, and heart. With the right coach, he should be able to rebound. I think he's more than a 1 hit wonder.

His O line has him spooked. He's not reading his progressions. That can be remedied. He's been sacked more than any QB in the league.

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Wentz has talent, arm strength, and heart. With the right coach, he should be able to rebound. I think he's more than a 1 hit wonder.

His O line has him spooked. He's not reading his progressions. That can be remedied. He's been sacked more than any QB in the league.

When Rivers makes his inevitable trip to the glue factory the Colts can sign Carson Wentz..

If Frank can't save him he's hopeless.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Manning would have been benched by Arians had been the coach of the Broncos. He didn't have the arm for a vertical offense, and Arians doesn't have the flexibility (or brains) to tweak his system to accommodate whatever was left to Manning's game at that point in his career.

If you have to bench a HOF quarterback because he won’t succeed in your system, well let’s just say I can’t think of too many worse things to say about a head coach.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
If Lynn gets fired the league will only have 2 black coaches. Not a good look for the league especially in these times.

You must be listening to SAS

I understand where you're coming from. It's not the reason I don't advocate his firing.

Sports is about winning. Is Lynn the reason they're not winning? If so what are the reason to think that way? If you have legitimate reasons let him go.

The team is playing decent ball. The offensive play calling is more culprit than Lynn. Is the reason for that Lynn or Shane Steichen? They get passive and blow big leads. That can be fixed.

How much fault can be placed at Gus Bradley's feet? The defense goes to sleep early.

IMO you don't let a coach go mid season. Who would step up? Play the season out. If you're going to fire Lynn do it after the season.

I’m not sure what my position is on this. It is curious and looks hypocritical when the league promotes BLM the last few months, and only has 3 Black coaches. What about the other 29 teams?

If Lynn gets fired that leaves only 2. Maybe Bienemy gets hired. But then we’re only back to 3 again. But then again maybe he doesn’t get hired. His name came up last year and he wasn’t hired.

Having more guys like Mike Tomlin that stick around for a long time would help. In his first two years, Lynn was 9-7 and 12-4, so things were looking promising. Obviously the last 2 years are big disappointments. These owners care about winning games and making money. I’m not confident they care about much of anything else.

Fwiw, it’s not like the Chargers previous coaches looked any better. You have to go back to Marty to find anyone that did well IMO and even he got fired.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:51 pm    Post subject:

^
BLM is important, but Lynn hasn't done a good job. His performance is a big reason that they are losing games. Look, Byron Scott was a "good coach" at one point...until he wasn't. Lynn isn't doing a good job. They have to make a change at the end of the season.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:41 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Until last night, I hadn't watched Wentz this season. It's amazing how much he has regressed. His confidence is totally shot as he wasn't displaying those attributes in previous seasons. I was more than a bit surprised by that interception in the end zone, there wasn't a Phili receiver in the same zip code. While it was clearly miscommunication, I'm unsure whether it was Wentz or Dallas Goedert who blew the route or timing. What's strange is that Wentz had time, a clear passing lane. Goedert had stopped his route and broke to the wrong shoulder. I'd find it more understandable if an offensive lineman was breathing in Wentz' face, or if Wentz didn't have such an open passing lane.

Yep, it was Goedert who read the coverage wrong. Wentz was expecting Goedert to run an outside post, and instead Goedert ran an inside sit route or inside curl and stopped as the errant pass was launched. I'd say most of the blame is on Goedert, though Wentz had some time and an obstructed passing lane. He simply didn't process quickly enough.

Quote:
“I tried to work the leverage [on Wagner],” said Goedert, who had seven catches for 75 yards and a touchdown against the Seahawks. “I was kind of [sliding] inside so he wouldn’t be able to break up the play and I’d be able to make it. Carson thought I was going to be going down and away and threw it there.

“I should’ve been where he thought I was going to be. I’ll take the blame for that one. It was a crucial point in the game. Mistakes like that can’t happen.”

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-seattle-seahawks-fourth-down-doug-pederson-20201201.html
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
BLM is important, but Lynn hasn't done a good job. His performance is a big reason that they are losing games. Look, Byron Scott was a "good coach" at one point...until he wasn't. Lynn isn't doing a good job. They have to make a change at the end of the season.

Noting some of the things that Lynn has done leads me to think his performance will be the reason for his dismissal.

Putting on my SAS hat. How many White coaches have been as dismal in their performances and are keeping their jobs?

I'm of the school race shouldn't be a factor but in reality, it is. Trumpeting Trump "It is what it is."

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

Noting some of the things Lynn has done leads me to think his performance will be the reason for his dismissal.

Putting on my SAS hat. How many White coaches have been as dismal in their performances and are keeping their jobs?

I'm of the school race shouldn't be a factor but in reality, it is. Trumpeting Trump "It is what it is."

Lots of white coaches get fired after 1 year in the NFL. This isn't really a race issue, Lynn will probably be kept because they are the Chargers, they keep coaches who should have been fired and fire the ones that have done good.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

Noting some of the things Lynn has done leads me to think his performance will be the reason for his dismissal.

Lots of white coaches get fired after 1 year in the NFL. This isn't really a race issue, Lynn will probably be kept because they are the Chargers, they keep coaches who should have been fired and fire the ones that have done good.

It isn't? Look at totality. 68% of NFL players are African-American. Fewer than 10 percent of the NFL's head coaches are black. Not one of the five new head coaches hired after the 2019 NFL regular season is black.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

It isn't? Look at totality. 68% of NFL players are African-American. Fewer than 10 percent of the NFL's head coaches are black. Not one of the five new head coaches hired after the 2019 NFL regular season is black.

I'm talking about a coaching performance issue. Lynn's been doing a bad job. His team was supposed to be a contender last year and they fell flat. This year they had injuries but they weren't supposed to be this bad. He has nowhere the resume of somebody like a Mike Tomlin who can fall back on Super Bowl to save his job or coaching up bad teams to a .500 record.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

I'm talking about a coaching performance issue. Lynn's been doing a bad job. His team was supposed to be a contender last year and they fell flat. This year they had injuries but they weren't supposed to be this bad.

We're in agreement on Lynn.

I'm wearing my SAS shirt and tie. How many White coaches have been as dismal in their performances and are keeping their jobs? You can gloss over that if you wish but it doesn't make it any less a valid issue.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

I'm talking about a coaching performance issue. Lynn's been doing a bad job. His team was supposed to be a contender last year and they fell flat. This year they had injuries but they weren't supposed to be this bad.

I'm wearing my SAS shirt and tie. How many White coaches have been as dismal in their performances and are keeping their jobs? You can gloss over that if you wish but it doesn't make it any less a valid issue.

As I said before I was talking about his job performance as it relates to the Chargers. Its not the Chargers job to keep a coach if the rest of the NFL isn't doing their job to hire black coaches. If it were up to me I would keep Lynn as a coach, but then I'm more of a Rams fan...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

As I said before I was talking about his job performance as it relates to the Chargers. Its not the Chargers job to keep a coach if the rest of the NFL isn't doing their job to hire black coaches.

I reiterate, we're in agreement on Lynn. You're not addressing SAS. Why is that?

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

As I said before I was talking about his job performance as it relates to the Chargers. Its not the Chargers job to keep a coach if the rest of the NFL isn't doing their job to hire black coaches.

I reiterate, we're in agreement on Lynn. You're not addressing SAS. Why is that?

Just because SAS states his opinion doesn't make it correct either.
Those white coaches don't get canned because they worked for bad organizations. I'm thinking Cowboys, Lions etc. The bad coaches keep their jobs because it deflects scrutiny from going into management.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

Just because SAS states his opinion doesn't make it correct either.
Those white coaches don't get canned because they worked for bad organizations. I'm thinking Cowboys, Lions etc. The bad coaches keep their jobs because it deflects scrutiny from going into management.

Wut? That scrutiny is the crux of SAS's argument. Jason Garrett is a coach employment SAS examples.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Firing coaches every year means the problem is management. That means management would be next to be canned. The reason why some organizations like the Cowboys keeps their bad coaches is because it keeps the hot seat on their coaches while deflecting the front office from responsibility, even though they are responsible for building a bad team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 333, 334, 335  Next
Page 18 of 335
Jump to: