Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 333, 334, 335  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
The other Miami EDGE, Greg Rousseau is likely going to drop much further than Jaelan Phillips. Poor numbers at his Pro Day. The perception was that while Rousseau was very raw, he had length and athleticism. Now it looks like he only has length. Those numbers also suggest that he may have goofed off during his year off, rather than trained hard for the combine/Pro Day like most serious NFL prospects.

Jaelan Phillips still might drop due to concussion and injury history, but now it looks like a safe bet that his team mate and EDGE predecessor is going to drop further.

Interesting, and yes, Phillips would be the first pass rusher off the board if not for his concussion history. He has everything else you could want, in terms of the measurables and production, as well as being a high-level recruit when he first got started at UCLA.

I'm seeing Caleb Farley fall out of the 1st Round entirely on some mocks. I think that may be harsh, but apparently teams are upset that he didn't get his back issue fixed well before this point. Apparently he had back surgery in 2019, of course opted out of last season, but the back issue was lingering, and in the whole year off to prepare for the NFL Draft, he didn't fix it. And now he's had to have the second back surgery, the microdiscectomy, just before the draft. He also had a torn ACL in 2017. If he slips to the late 1st, it's going to be difficult for teams like New Orleans, Green Bay, Buffalo, and maybe Tampa Bay to pass on a talent like that.

I like Caleb Farley. Good football IQ, just look at his positioning and how he reads WRs, it really shows that he's played QB. He has desireable size and traits. Two things really magnified that fall from grace: 1. The timing of the surgery just happened to coincide with the testing. 2. Closely related to point #1 is his agent, Drew Rosenhaus. Given Rosenhaus' reputation, I could see GMs not giving Farley the benefit of the doubt on anything, including the timing of the surgery. In other words, what are Farley and Rosenhaus hiding?

I think he'd be a nice gamble in the late first, particularly for Tampa Bay. Ideally Tampa Bay should try to find a hybrid EDGE who can either play with a hand in the dirt as a potential replacement for Ndamukong Suh, or upright as a potential replacement for Jason Pierre-Paul. But shades of the movie Castaway, who knows what the tide will bring? If the tide doesn't bring in that hybrid, then grab Farley and upgrade the secondary.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject:

We're just under 3 weeks out. Here's a new mock, with a few changes from my last one.

1. Jaguars
Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
Moving right along...

2. Jets
Zach Wilson, QB, BYU
It just makes too much sense for the Jets to get their next QB.

3. 49ers
Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota St.
Not buying the Mac Jones hype, at least for now.

4. Falcons
Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
I had the Panthers trading up to this spot in my last mock but that was an error on my part, as Atlanta would be incredibly unlikely to trade with a division rival when a potential franchise QB is involved. And while they could trade down with another team like Denver or New England, they may choose to add Pitts to the offense and make it a nightmare for defenses.

5. Bengals
Penei Sewell, OL, Oregon
I know there's a lot of chatter about Ja'Marr Chase here, as Joe Burrow is lobbying for him. I still believe that protecting him will take precedence.

6. Dolphins
Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU
Miami nabs the best WR in the draft after its wheeling and dealing to this pick.

7. Panthers
Justin Fields, QB, Ohio St.
TRADE! The Lions are a prime candidate to move down, especially if the board fell this way. Carolina, Denver, and New England would all be candidates to make offers. It's a game of chicken, and if Carolina wants Fields badly enough, they may have to give up something significant, even to move up the one spot. This is Detroit's best possible outcome, as it can still take whichever non-QB it was going to take at #7 anyway. I'll guess that Carolina parts with its 2nd rounder this year, #39 overall, plus a 3rd rounder next year.

8. Lions
Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama
Still sticking with the thought that Waddle could go ahead of Smith. Detroit obviously needs a new stud WR. I wouldn't be shocked if Detroit was willing to trade down again, by the way, with Mac Jones still on the board; New England would be the obvious candidate to move up and pick before Denver would have a chance at him.

9. Broncos
Mac Jones, QB, Alabama
The anti-Lock arrives in Denver and gives a pretty strong roster a realistic shot at the playoffs.

10. Cowboys
Patrick Surtain, CB, Alabama
'Bama players are just flying off the board, aren't they?

11. Giants
Rashawn Slater, OL, Northwestern
Switching this up from Micah Parsons. Slater is seen as someone who can play tackle or guard, giving the G-Men versatility going forward. Yes, they drafted Andrew Thomas in the 1st Round last year, but the defense was a strong group a season ago. A further investment into the offense could give the team its best chance for success, and of course it will sink or swim with Daniel Jones, who is in a make-or-break year.

12. Eagles
DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama
The Eagles will be happy with either Alabama WR at #12, and in this case, it's Smith.

13. Chargers
Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina
Some think that Horn is the best press-man corner in this class. Now that Slater isn't there, new coach Brandon Staley could see Horn as his new Jalen Ramsey, shadowing opposing WR1's.

14. Vikings
Christian Darrisaw, OL, Virginia Tech
This is a tough call for the Vikes, and I think it would come down to taking Parsons for the defense, or a hog mollie for the offense. Parsons absolutely would fill a need. But so would a tackle or guard, and for Minnesota's offense to work, Kirk Cousins needs adequate protection and Dalvin Cook needs running lanes. I'm going to side with a hog mollie, then. So now we ask, do they prefer a tackle (Darrisaw), or the best interior OL guy in Vera-Tucker? If they took Darrisaw, they could leave Ezra Cleveland at guard. If they took Vera-Tucker, then Cleveland likely has to move to tackle. I'm going to give the nod to Darrisaw.

15. Patriots
Micah Parsons, LB, Penn St.
A talented defender falls into Bill Belichick's lap here. I think Farley would make sense, but with his injury questions, I think they would, and should, take the Nittany Lion instead.

16. Cardinals
Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech
Farley is just sitting there, so it's simply a question of how confident Arizona would be about his injury history, specifically his back. The need is obvious. Do they roll the dice? Or do they consider Vera-Tucker to strengthen the O-line, or a pass rusher? Let's roll the dice! The usual recovery time from a microdiscectomy procedure for a football player, by the way, is about 10-12 weeks, so Farley should be back in time for training camp, though I'm sure he would be brought along slowly.

17. Raiders
Jackson Carman, OL, Clemson
Sticking with Carman as a reach pick because, well, it's the Raiders!

18. Dolphins
Jaelan Phillips, EDGE, Miami
The Dolphins stay local and take Phillips as the first pass rusher off the board.

19. Washington Football Team
Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU
The draft's first safety comes off the board, and this would make sense with Landon Collins coming back from an Achilles injury.

20. Bears
Alijah Vera-Tucker, OL, USC
Vera-Tucker would help the poor O-line that Chicago has, and as a fluid athlete, he should be the type of fit for Matt Nagy's Andy Reid/West Coast offense.

21. Colts
Kwity Paye, EDGE, Michigan
The highly-athletic Michigan man goes to Indy, who has a clear need for depth at getting after the QB.

22. Titans
Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota
Yes, the team signed Josh Reynolds. No, he's not a long-term solution. More help is needed.

23. Jets
Teven Jenkins, OL, Oklahoma St.
When asked what teams would be getting if they drafted him, Jenkins replied "a nasty mother..." Alrighty, then!

24. Steelers
Najee Harris, RB, Alabama
Someone's probably going to take Harris in the 1st, and if it's not Miami or the Jets, Pittsburgh is a good guess.

25. Jaguars
Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame
Sticking with JOK as a great fit for the Jags, flying around as a chess piece.

26. Browns
Azeez Ojulari, EDGE, Georgia
If Rousseau is sliding, and if Ojulari is rising, he could be the choice, as the Browns have a clear need to help out Myles Garrett.

27. Ravens
Elijah Moore, WR, Ole Miss
The slick route-running of Moore could be much-needed in critical spots on passing downs.

28. Saints
Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa
The Saints need help at LB, and Collins can get downhill and pressure the QB as well. Good fit.

29. Packers
Greg Newsome, CB, Northwestern
The Packers opt to address their porous CB coverage behind Jaire Alexander.

30. Bills
Jayson Oweh, EDGE, Penn St.
Rousseau's slide continues, and the Bills opt for the ridiculously athletic Oweh instead.

31. Chiefs
Liam Eichenberg, OL, Notre Dame
KC has really rebuilt its O-line this offseason. Joe Thuney and Kyle Long were added at guard. Austin Blythe was brought in at center. Mike Remmers was kept after Eric Fisher and Mitchell Schwartz were cut. Eichenberg, who is technically refined, is the type that KC likes.

32. Buccaneers
Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama
Why not close out the round with the 500th Alabama player?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject:

Nice mock. I still don't buy the Mac Jones as the SF pick, it just resonates smoke. I think they're going to take Justin Fields. Fields and Lance are polar opposites in terms of the draft. There's a lot of tape and in-person field evaluation on Fields, and he faced top talent. There's obviously less tape and far less on-field evaluation on Lance, and of course he faced a level of competition closer to the Ivy League than the Big 10. Naturally there's less to criticize with Lance, that's what makes him so intriguing.

I'm also on the fence with Wilson. He played in a vacuum against lesser talent, little on-field evaluation by scouts, not much quality tape. What I've seen doesn't knock my socks off, but then it doesn't leave me thinking his prospects are poor either. For the record, I didn't see him forced to make decisions under crazy pressure, and many of his highlights were calls off the bench. I wouldn't be surprised if he's as raw as Trey Lance.

If I had to make a guess though, sure, based on the overall record and an impressive Pro Day, Wilson will go second. I think Lance will get selected after Fields. I love Lance's traits, but it wouldn't surprise me if he carried a clip board for the better part of two seasons. If I was in SF's position of having a Super Bowl ready roster, I'd go for the more mature QB in Fields.

Someone is going to trade up with Detroit and take Trey Lance. Mac Jones will fall to the team that leap frogs New England if NE doesn't move up high enough to grab him. As much as I like Jones, I still harbor some apprehension as to whether he can rifle passes past the hash marks. He loves to throw between them, and he'll quickly find an open man and hit him with an accurate pass. But weaker armed QBs die with those sideline passes, which are high-risk pick 6s. I like Jones as a mid-first, but I realize the QB frenzy might mean he's taken top 10.

To me, it all comes down to the decisions the QB makes under pressure. We know how Lawrence, Jones, and Fields operate, and my criticism of Fields is that he must do a better job sensing pressure and make better risk/reward decisions when throwing. But Wilson and Lance you're drafting on traits and a prayer.

Parson's would be a great NE pick if they don't move up and grab a QB. The NE front seven are manned by old or marginal players. I really want them to move up.

I keep seeing Paye as a top 20, and now Oweh is being projected by some as a first round talent. Both are incredible athletes who play football, rather than football player athletes. I agree, Paye will fall outside of the top 20, and Oweh should be a second rounder, but both benefit from being in a weak draft class in terms of defensive talent, especially at the EDGE.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Darnold has been traded to the Panthers.

Good for Darnold. At least Carolina has a middling offensive line, unlike the turnstiles known as the NY Jets. I'm not sure I agree with Carolina's decision, I would have stayed with Bridgewater and swung for the fences with a new QB. As it stands, before and after the trade they're either #3 or #4 in their division within the foreseeable future.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject:

I had the Panthers moving up on draft night with either the Bengals at 5 or the Dolphins at 6 to draft a QB. But the Darnold trade will obviously change that. I can see them picking someone like Waddle, or maybe Sewell if he were to slide a few spots.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Darnold to the Panthers is interesting for several reasons. It tells me that they don't think their QB target or targets are going to be there at #7, the earliest point where I think they could realistically trade up. (Cincy and Miami aren't moving down from 5 and 6, respectively.) So now we have to ask ourselves, does this mean that they think both Trey Lance and Justin Fields are going off the board at 3 and 4, and that they don't have interest in Mac Jones? Or, does it mean that the guy they really want is Jones but they think the 49ers are taking him 3rd? If it's the former, then this means the 49ers are taking Lance or Fields and that Atlanta is either taking the other QB 4th, or that Atlanta will trade down to a team coming up for a QB, and that the Panthers knew that they wouldn't be able to move up with Atlanta.

I agree that the Panthers could now be a candidate to take an offensive lineman, since their line is actually pretty poor. They could also trade down now that it seems like they are out of the QB market, although if the Bengals pass on Sewell, there's a good chance he would be available at 8, which would be an amazing value. If Mac Jones is the only top-5 QB left when Detroit is on the clock at #7, and if Carolina, Denver, and New England don't think he's worth moving up for, you have to wonder if the Lions will attempt to drum up a market for Sewell if he's there. Would the Chargers move up to 7 for him, knowing that the Panthers could take him 8th? Would the Giants move up for him?

God I love the draft!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Darnold has been traded to the Panthers.

Good for Darnold. At least Carolina has a middling offensive line, unlike the turnstiles known as the NY Jets. I'm not sure I agree with Carolina's decision, I would have stayed with Bridgewater and swung for the fences with a new QB. As it stands, before and after the trade they're either #3 or #4 in their division within the foreseeable future.

Love that trade for Carolina and for Darnold.

He goes to a much stronger and better run franchise and Bridgewater is a game manager and not going to lead you to the Promised Land.

If Darnold can't find success in Carolina, then it is on him. The Jets were a terrible fit (as they will be for the poor sucker they draft this year) and it was almost impossible for a QB to succeed there.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject:

^
At least it's no longer the dreadful Adam Gase coaching staff for the Jets. Perhaps Wilson will have a chance.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
At least it's no longer the dreadful Adam Gase coaching staff for the Jets. Perhaps Wilson will have a chance.

I think Saleh will be a huge upgrade over Gase who looked like he was in WAY over his head as a NFL head coach.

But the Jets are a tough place to turn it around and with Buffalo, an improving Miami and a hungry New England in the same division. I am not bullish on them at all for the upcoming season.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject:

^
Oh, for sure. They are going to finish last in the division. But if you hit on Wilson, you can get the thing moving in the right direction. Despite New England's spending spree, it's still going to be a poor offense unless they can find a long-term answer at QB. I like Miami but if Tua doesn't live up to his promise, they are still short a QB. Buffalo though, I agree, they are set up for a long time with a franchise QB and a coach that knows defense. They do need to come up with a better pass rush and find a reliable second corner behind White, but they look like a perennial contender to me.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Iā€™m starting to think thereā€™s a fair chance picks 1-4 will be QBs.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:

Quite possible, yes. Especially if Atlanta trades down.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject:

I found another reason to dislike Greg Rousseau. Take a long look at his highlights from that amazing 2019 season, where he almost led the nation in sacks. Notice something funny? He's lined up as a DT/NT, not as an EDGE. Some of his plays are elaborate stunts, where instead of penetrating the A gap (C/G), he opts for B gap or even C, leaving the opposing center clueless on who to block. He shifts into high gear through either B or C to get to the backfield.

Why's that bad? EDGE players have to refine their game for initial moves (like the swim move) and later, counter-moves. Greg Rousseau doesn't show either, so as an EDGE he's as raw as sushi. The stunting that he does in college is just that, college level play that is far less likely against better prepared, more athletic offensive linemen in the NFL. Now when you factor in the disappointing athleticism numbers from the Pro Day, what are you left with? A mid to late second rounder who looks like a raw, scheme-specific DE on a 4 man front.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject:

^
Yeah, that's why I have him sliding to the 2nd. I think it's possible he still goes in the 1st, but I'm with you. The Pro Day was a major issue because if you opted out, ostensibly you should have been prepping for the draft, working on drills, etc. So to come out and be lackluster, that's going to be a big issue for many teams.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

Quite possible, yes. Especially if Atlanta trades down.

Atlanta has had a number of suitors for the #4 pick. If they do keep it, I think itā€™s because they like a QB. Otherwise just trade down and get your haul. Or maybe they really, really like Kyle Pitts.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Michael Lombardi said on a podcast that he knows -- not thinks, but knows -- that Washington is enamored with Trey Lance, and might offer a whole boatload of picks to move up. They do have an extra 3rd Round pick from the 49ers (from the Trent Williams trade last year), so I wonder if they could offer Atlanta something like #19, a 2022 1st, a 2022 2nd, and a 3rd rounder this year. If I had to guess, Atlanta, if it moves down, would probably prefer to deal with Detroit or Denver, so they'd only move down to 7 or 9. It's going to be really interesting to see what happens with SF at 3. If they actually take Jones, the higher-upside QB's (Lance and Fields) will still be there, and you could conceivably see Detroit, Denver, New England, and Washington trying to move up. I guess you can't even rule out Carolina, even though getting Darnold probably lowers their odds.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Michael Lombardi said on a podcast that he knows -- not thinks, but knows -- that Washington is enamored with Trey Lance, and might offer a whole boatload of picks to move up. They do have an extra 3rd Round pick from the 49ers (from the Trent Williams trade last year), so I wonder if they could offer Atlanta something like #19, a 2022 1st, a 2022 2nd, and a 3rd rounder this year. If I had to guess, Atlanta, if it moves down, would probably prefer to deal with Detroit or Denver, so they'd only move down to 7 or 9. It's going to be really interesting to see what happens with SF at 3. If they actually take Jones, the higher-upside QB's (Lance and Fields) will still be there, and you could conceivably see Detroit, Denver, New England, and Washington trying to move up. I guess you can't even rule out Carolina, even though getting Darnold probably lowers their odds.

Lance is a gamble: Highest ceiling, lowest floor. If I was a GM, I'd do my best to move up and grab him. He will not be ready next season, and in fact he might not even start for part of season two, but delayed gratification could pay big here.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Jamin Davis (love that name) is climbing up the draft boards. He doesn't have much to show in terms of his body of work, but the athleticism and tape are outstanding. I'm guessing an early second round pick, possibly even fringe first round.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Jamin Davis (love that name) is climbing up the draft boards. He doesn't have much to show in terms of his body of work, but the athleticism and tape are outstanding. I'm guessing an early second round pick, possibly even fringe first round.

Yep, you are correct. His teammate, CB Kelvin Joseph, also seems like a 2nd rounder now.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject:

seriously. I know he isnt an MMA guy but outside of that realm aaron donald has to be the last guy a civilian should want to get into with.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Within 24 hours after Justin Fields' second Pro Day, which was attended by Kyle Shanahan, and as 49er beat reporters have steadfastly said that they don't think Mac Jones will be the pick at 3, and as Joe Thomas yesterday tweeted that he believes Fields will be the pick...Fields is now the betting favorite over Jones to be the third pick. It's close, but Fields has taken the betting "lead" with two weeks to go. As the 49ers no longer have any reason whatsoever to smokescreen, since the Jets are locked into Wilson now, perhaps we'll get more clarity on the pick within the next two weeks.

And yes, I'm working on a new mock draft now in light of this development LOL.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Within 24 hours after Justin Fields' second Pro Day, which was attended by Kyle Shanahan, and as 49er beat reporters have steadfastly said that they don't think Mac Jones will be the pick at 3, and as Joe Thomas yesterday tweeted that he believes Fields will be the pick...Fields is now the betting favorite over Jones to be the third pick. It's close, but Fields has taken the betting "lead" with two weeks to go. As the 49ers no longer have any reason whatsoever to smokescreen, since the Jets are locked into Wilson now, perhaps we'll get more clarity on the pick within the next two weeks.

My friend is a jags fan and he would much rather draft the guy he thinks 49ers will as oppose to urban.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Neither of us believed that Mac Jones was the presumptive SF pick. I like Mac Jones as a mid-round pick, and I find it easy to justify him at, say, 10 to 20 overall. But you'd have to be crazy to take Jones over Fields. Fields has some work, but most of the flaws look somewhat potentially correctable (locking in too early, sensing pressure, economy of footwork). The other concerns can only be addressed in time, which are chiefly fast processing and pocket presence. But that idiotic observation that he has mechanical flaws due to baseball is just as applicable to Mahomes, who has similar upper-body mechanics in his delivery. If you take a look at the tape, look for it; you'll see exactly what I mean.

Waiting for your draft Stu. Do it.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Mock Draft with 2 weeks to go...

1. Jaguars
Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
Set in stone.

2. Jets
Zach Wilson, QB, BYU
If not set in stone, then it's written in sharpie.

3. 49ers
Justin Fields, QB, Ohio St.
So I heard an interesting theory on a Chargers podcast as to why the 49ers may have been smokescreening Mac Jones. Robert Saleh took many ex-49ers assistants with him, including on the offensive side of the ball. The theory was that the 49ers have liked Fields, moved up to get him, but didn't want the Jets to know that because they didn't want the Jets to take a harder look at Fields as they were seemingly liking Wilson. Now that Wilson will almost certainly be the Jets' pick, we'll see if we get more solid connections to Fields here in the next 2 weeks.

4. Falcons
Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
I don't believe a QB will be Atlanta's pick, so it's either Pitts or a trade down, which remains a possibility if someone blows their socks off. Still, I think the owner and coach want to try to win with Matt Ryan, and adding Pitts makes their offense potentially lethal, assuming Ryan doesn't fall off a cliff.

5. Bengals
Penei Sewell, OL, Oregon
This one feels like a toss-up between Sewell and Chase, but if a QB goes at #4, it could be Pitts. Owner Mike Brown is thought to love him.

6. Dolphins
Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU
If the board falls this way, this should be a fairly simple pick for Miami.

7. Patriots
Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota St.
TRADE! Detroit is a prime trade-down candidate at #7, and if the Pats want Lance badly enough, they need to strike in this spot, because Carolina could be a threat to either trade down or maybe even draft Lance for themselves, though I find that scenario less likely. Detroit gets New England's 2022 1st rounder out of the deal, giving it THREE coveted 1st's in next year's draft. Note that if it's not New England coming up for Lance, it could very well be Denver or Washington in this spot to take Lance. (My goal in these mocks is to get the prospect closest to their draft slot, not necessarily to the right team.)

8. Panthers
Rashawn Slater, OL, Northwestern
I think Carolina has genuinely high hopes for Sam Darnold. They would be best served not to give him another pathetic O-line, then, and the team doesn't have much other than tackle Taylor Moton. Adding Slater, who can play tackle or guard, would help greatly.

9. Broncos
Mac Jones, QB, Alabama
I don't believe that the Broncos, with an otherwise strong roster, are going to allow Drew Lock to torpedo their season. Jones is basically the anti-Lock, and I think he makes sense for them. Jason La Canfora has reported that GM George Paton may have interest in bringing in Teddy Bridgewater as competition for Lock, and Paton was a part of the Vikings' front office when they drafted Bridgewater. I mention this because it's possible that the Broncos could trade down as well.

10. Cowboys
Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama
This might be the most commonly mocked pick of the entire first round, after the first 2 picks. Surtain and Diggs reunited!

11. Giants
DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama
It seems like this pick will be on a WR or O-line guy. Dave Gettleman will do something to try to make life easier on Daniel Jones, because if Jones doesn't improve, Gettleman is likely to be out of a job. I think Slater would be the pick if he's there, but since he's not, it could come down to one of the Alabama WR's or a hog mollie like Alijah Vera-Tucker or maybe Christian Darrisaw. It's a tough call, but I'm going with Smith.

12. Eagles
Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama
While I would not rule out Jaycee Horn or Micah Parsons here, I believe the Eagles moved down to 12 thinking that one of the 2 Alabama WR's would be there. That's the case here.

13. Chargers
Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina
While Vera-Tucker or Darrisaw make sense, Horn profiles as the #1 alpha corner that this team currently lacks. Brandon Staley could see him as his new Jalen Ramsey, and in a division with the Chiefs and Broncos, this could be a wise call. The Chargers could look at tackles in Round 2.

14. Vikings
Alijah Vera-Tucker, OL, USC
Vera-Tucker offers that coveted tackle/guard versatility, and I think he's seen as a slightly better choice than Darrisaw. Ezra Cleveland, a 2nd rounder last year, also has that versatility, so it would allow Minnesota to figure out which guy to put at one tackle spot and which guy to let hold down a guard spot. Brian O'Neill would be the other tackle.

15. Lions
Micah Parsons, LB, Penn St.
After the move down, Detroit is still getting one of the draft's only premium defenders in Parsons.

16. Cardinals
Kwity Paye, EDGE, Michigan
I'm split between Paye and Caleb Farley here, but perhaps the latter's back issue will lean them towards the athletic Paye. Haason Reddick left in free agency, Chandler Jones is coming off injury and now over 30, while JJ Watt is not exactly a long-term solution.

17. Raiders
Teven Jenkins, OL, Oklahoma St.
Jackson Carman was so much of a reach that, even though the Raiders are capable of such a thing, I don't feel comfortable actually projecting it. Jenkins is a "nasty mf'er" -- his own words -- and that's the type of tackle that Gruden really likes. That's what they thought they had in Trent Brown.

18. Dolphins
Jaelen Phillips, EDGE, Miami
If not for his concussion history at UCLA, Phillips would be a top 10 pick. He has everything you could want other than the concussions: young age, a highly-athletic testing profile, measurables, and production on the field. With an extra 1st rounder, Miami gambles just a bit and takes the plunge.

19. Washington Football Team
Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame
ANOTHER possible high-impact defender for the Football Team? There's a need for a starting linebacker, and of course JOK can be used as a chess piece.

20. Bears
Christian Darrisaw, OL, Virginia Tech
Chicago not only needs help at tackle, but it has a glut of O-linemen who are free agents after the season.

21. Colts
Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech
Hey, it's back-to-back Hokies off the board! In this case, Chris Ballard ends Farley's slide, as he could think there is too much value in a player who might be the draft's best actual cover corner. The recent microdiscectomy is a concern, but he should be ready to go before the season starts. If the problem has been finally corrected, this would be a steal. Current top corner Xavier Rhodes is merely signed to a 1-year deal.

22. Titans
Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota
I don't believe that Josh Reynolds should stop the Titans from taking a look at a WR with this pick, as long-term help next to AJ Brown must be procured early in this draft.

23. Jets
Sam Cosmi, OL, Texas
Joe Douglas comes from the Eagles front office, a team that tended to like athletic offensive linemen. Last year Douglas struck gold with LT Mekhi Becton, an athletic mountain of a man. Cosmi isn't as big, but he's super-athletic, and, although considered a bit raw, is already an adept pass protector. The previous regime badly screwed up with Darnold in large part because they always had shoddy offensive lines. It would be wise of them to not make the same mistake with Wilson.

24. Steelers
Najee Harris, RB, Alabama
While OL is a gigantic need for the team, 6 of them have already been chosen, and they may feel like the value isn't there. Mike Tomlin has always been a proponent of having a bellcow back, and that's what Harris could be.

25. Jaguars
Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU
Moehrig would add to a nice makeover of the Jags' secondary in free agency, as he would join Rayshawn Jenkins on the back end of the defense. With Shaq Griffin joining last year's 1st rounder CJ Henderson at corner, the team has a chance to get better quickly in coverage.

26. Browns
Azeez Ojulari, EDGE, Georgia
Yes, the Browns just signed Clowney, but he had as many sacks as I did in the NFL a season ago, not to mention that he missed 8 games. He's obviously not a long-term solution, and the Browns need to find a young pass rusher that might be able to aid Myles Garrett for years to come. Ojulari seems to have solidified his 1st Round stock, and I think Gregory Rousseau is a question mark.

27. Ravens
Terrace Marshall Jr., WR, LSU
I saw some tea leaves dropped by some reporters connecting the Ravens with Marshall. Just 20, and standing 6'4 with great speed and size, Marshall would give the team a tall, big-bodied, athletic WR that is currently lacking on the roster.

28. Saints
Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa
LB is a big area of need, and I like this fit for the Saints. Christian Barmore would also make a lot of sense.

29. Packers
Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern
There's a bit of an injury history here, but when your tape is as good as Newsome's is, and when you run a sub 4.4 40 at your Pro Day, it could be hard for a team to let Newsome get out of the 1st Round. GB has very little quality at CB behind Jaire Alexander, with apologies to Kevin King and others.

30. Bills
Jayson Oweh, EDGE, Penn St.
Let me get this straight, ChickenStu...you're mocking the Bills a pass rusher who had zero sacks in 2020, as opposed to a guy, Rousseau, who had 16.5 in 2019 before opting out of the 2020 season? Why yes, yes I am! Rousseau could fall out of the 1st Round due to an extremely lackluster Pro Day that has some teams questioning his commitment level. Oweh didn't have a sack in 2020 but was still disruptive, and he has freakish athleticism, 99th-percentile athleticism. I see him with a real chance to sneak into the 1st Round, and Buffalo's top 2 pass rushers are 33 and 34, respectively.

31. Chiefs
Liam Eichenberg, OL, Notre Dame
The recent history of Notre Dame tackles in the NFL has been good, and Eichenberg is seen as being quite technically refined with a high floor. There's still a need for a tackle in KC.

32. Buccaneers
Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama
The Bucs don't really have holes, so they can just go best available player. You could argue for Rousseau, but I think Barmore could win out.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject:

^
From a New England fan's POV, grabbing Lance would be a dream come true. Unfortunately, I sense that Belichick won't make that gamble. Ownership is prodding him to improve his draft results, and I get the sense that they're asking him to take a risk at QB. Belichick is a stubborn curmudgeon, sticking with the broken-down Cam Newton. When Newton couldn't start, he wouldn't even experiment with second year QB Stidham, going instead with the safe and predictable Hoyer. Kraft obliquely questioned the move as well after the season.

I still think NE moves up for a QB, but it will be for the safer pick which is Mac Jones. And assuming no one grabs Jones earlier, I think he'll look for a trade partner after #9 or so. Saban is one of Belichick's pals, I think he trusts his recommendations and development despite having been badly burned by Cyrus Jones.

From Tampa Bay's POV, they should take Barmore over Rousseau. Rousseau would be a noble experiment (sorry, I couldn't resist) but: a) Barmore is somewhat reminiscent of a young Suh so there's obvious fit, and b) Rousseau's Pro Day was not only underwhelming, his production was fueled as a stunting NT. I'm concerned about his size too, he'll need great bend to defend the run rather than just strength. Rousseau isn't a lost cause by any means, but those question marks make him a mid second, perhaps late second round pick. TB also might consider Levi Onwuzurike (unfortunately) due to their connection with University of Washington.

A lot of EDGE players in your mock, despite this EDGE class being mediocre. I get it, other than QB the EDGE is the most important position in football. I still think we'll see one or two less EDGE players taken in the first, and though I like Hello Kwity Paye's potential, I think he'll slide a bit further back into the 20s.

I have Caleb Farley sliding a bit further back too due to his second back surgery in two years. As I mentioned earlier, that second surgery was performed too close to his Pro Day, Farley and Rosenhaus might be hiding something. Farley has CB1 written all over him, the measurables are nice plus I love his ability to read receivers and take the right angles. You can tell he understands the game, and it's no surprise he played QB.

I don't take any mock seriously that has KC drafting any position other than a LT or RT. Liam Eichenberg might be taken earlier, and in fact I would imagine that one more OT will be taken in the first.

Glad that you didn't pick Landon Dickerson in the first. There are many good quality interior offensive linemen in this draft, it's unnecessary to take a chance on someone who is so challenged to finish the season on the collegiate level.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 333, 334, 335  Next
Page 59 of 335
Jump to: