🏈NFL SEASON THREAD/SUPER BOWL🏈
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 54, 55, 56  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 May 2001
Posts: 5846

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Mr. Irrelevant' to Super Bowl champ: How Bucs' Ryan Succop made last-place history by finishing first
Succop, the last pick in the 2009 draft, became the first 'Mr. Irrelevant' to win a Super Bowl

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/mr-irrelevant-to-super-bowl-champ-how-bucs-ryan-succop-made-last-place-history-by-finishing-first/

An interesting little piece of trivia.. I'm honestly surprised it's taken this long for "Mr Irrelevant" to win one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MookieBetts50
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 22 Jul 2020
Posts: 649

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject:

So if Cowboys want Watson for Dak, what else does Big D have to throw in to entice the Texans who are in no hurry to deal their lone remaining superstar?
_________________
2020-2021 REPEAT OR BUST

PG - Schröder/Caruso/Cook
SG - Caldwell-Pope/Matthews/Horton-Tucker
SF - James/Kuzma/McKinnie
PF - Davis/Morris/Dudley
C - Gasol/Harrell
2-Way - Antetokounmpo/Cacok
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 23166
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject:

In a horrible story, former Chargers and Bucs WR Vincent Jackson has been found dead in a Homewood Suites room in Florida. No signs of trauma or foul play are suspected. He was only 38.
_________________
THE JOB IS FINISHED!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 10710
Location: LA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:52 am    Post subject:

Really sad to see the V Jax news. He was pretty much the one bright spot for the Bucs during his time there. And it seems like he did a lot for the community from the stories I’ve seen today. RIP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 23166
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Here's a bit of good news: the little 5-year-old girl that had been in the coma, from the Britt Reid accident, is now awake and breathing on her own. I don't know if there will be any permanent damage or anything, but this is quite a first step.
_________________
THE JOB IS FINISHED!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 10710
Location: LA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:18 am    Post subject:

That’s great news. Hopefully the first in a series of positive updates regarding her recovery.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 27656

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:37 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Here's a bit of good news: the little 5-year-old girl that had been in the coma, from the Britt Reid accident, is now awake and breathing on her own. I don't know if there will be any permanent damage or anything, but this is quite a first step.


Thank gawd!
_________________
KOBE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 34723

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject:

No 2021 season thread but some happenings in the offseason.
Wentz traded to the Colts for a 2nd rounder in 2022 and 3rd rounder in 2021.
Dak Prescott putting the pressure on Jerry Jones to pay him on social media that he wants to stay in Big D, despite the fact that their promo video left him out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MookieBetts50
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 22 Jul 2020
Posts: 649

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject:

Wentz found his new destination, now we await the fates of Watson, Dak and to a lesser extent, Brees.
_________________
2020-2021 REPEAT OR BUST

PG - Schröder/Caruso/Cook
SG - Caldwell-Pope/Matthews/Horton-Tucker
SF - James/Kuzma/McKinnie
PF - Davis/Morris/Dudley
C - Gasol/Harrell
2-Way - Antetokounmpo/Cacok
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 17626
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Wentz found his new destination, now we await the fates of Watson, Dak and to a lesser extent, Brees.


Unlike Goff, Wentz will be going to a team with a decent offensive line, RB, and defense and he's not replacing a beloved QB. I don't know much about the Colts' offensive skill players other than T.Y. Hilton. He'll even closer to his hometown in N.D than he was in Philly.
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 45325

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject:

I am not sure this version of Wentz is an upgrade from Rivers.

Time will tell, but I am not bullish on Wentz as he completely lost his way the last couple of years and looked absolutely terrible.
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 2918

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I am not sure this version of Wentz is an upgrade from Rivers.

Time will tell, but I am not bullish on Wentz as he completely lost his way the last couple of years and looked absolutely terrible.


Confidence is gone. Mentally, he's done imo. Hope i am wrong, and i truly hope he is better than Rivers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 23683

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject:

I like this move low risk high reward. Plus Frank knows this guy I doubt he would go through all this trouble if he didn't think he could fix Wentz.

I mean he managed to make Rivers a playoff QB when I wouldn't have thought this a year ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 23166
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject:

I'm with LL on Wentz; he was brutal a season ago. They do have a good program in place in Indy, and he'll be familiar with the system, but they do need to replace the retiring Castonzo at left tackle. At least Chris Ballard didn't surrender a guaranteed 1st Round pick to get him. If they are contending for a playoff spot, it probably means that Wentz is playing pretty well, so in that case they would accept giving up their 1st next year, I'm sure. And if he's not playing well, they can easily arrange it so that he doesn't play 75% of the snaps and, thus, keeping the 2022 pick as merely a 2nd.

Oh, also, in unfortunate news, the girl involved in the Britt Reid accident is apparently "unresponsive", even though it was reported earlier that she was awake and breathing on her own. That sounds like she's probably in a vegetative state, though they haven't come out and said it. If true, that's just awful.
_________________
THE JOB IS FINISHED!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 23166
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject:

With the new league year expected to come on March 17, I figured we could hold off on a new '21 thread until then. Having said that, we are just over 2 months away from the NFL Draft, and you know how I feel about that. You know it, you love it, so with all that said, here is my first mock draft (of many), and I will not project any trades this far out:

1. Jaguars
Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
Despite some ridiculous media drivel that Lawrence is not the #1 QB on some teams' boards, yeah, whatever. Moving on...

2. Jets
Zach Wilson, QB, BYU
To be clear, I would take Justin Fields here, but I'm not the Jets, and they may be more keen on Wilson.

3. Dolphins
Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU
If the Dolphins keep this pick, I think you could argue for either Chase or DeVonta Smith at WR, or Penei Sewell at LT. I think it will be a WR, and despite the obvious Tua-Smith connection, I believe that Chase will be evaluated as the superior prospect.

4. Falcons
Justin Fields, QB, Ohio St.
A Georgia homecoming for Fields. While the Falcons say that Matt Ryan isn't going anywhere, even if that's true, this pick is high enough to where I don't think Atlanta can pass on adding a potential franchise QB.

5. Bengals
Penei Sewell, OL, Oregon
I truly believe the Bengals would pick Sewell if they had the 1st overall pick, so this is a fantastic get for a team that desperately needs to protect Joe Burrow.

6. Eagles
Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
Pitts is an absolute freak of an athletic specimen and could be a monstrous TE/WR hybrid type in the NFL, as a complete matchup nightmare for defenses. The Eagles could decide that Smith is the better option here, but I think that Pitts could be the pick.

7. Lions
DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama
Marvin Jones will depart as a free agent, and Kenny Golladay's status is in limbo (he might get the franchise tag, possibly even as a prelude to a tag-and-trade scenario). You could argue for a defensive talent like Micah Parsons here, but Smith makes sense on a lot of levels.

8. Panthers
Micah Parsons, LB, Penn St.
I've seen Parsons mocked anywhere from 6th to 28th. What is not in dispute is his immense talent. So why the variance? Well, he was involved in that hazing scandal at Penn St., similar to Yetur Gross-Matos a season ago, causing the latter to slip into the 2nd Round. But who took YGM? That's right, the Panthers. So if they were OK with him, it would stand to reason that they are probably OK with Parsons, too. Of course, this defense has some young building blocks to work with, recent draft picks like Brian Burns and Jeremy Chinn and YGM. But they haven't replaced future Hall Of Famer Luke Kuechly, so enter Parsons. Note that the Panthers are being very aggressive on the QB market, are likely going to be players for Deshaun Watson, and could trade up for one of the top 4 QB's, or simply just take Trey Lance here.

9. Broncos
Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama
Denver needs a new #1 outside corner to replace AJ Bouye, and Surtain and Caleb Farley seem to be the consensus top 2 CB's this year. I'm guessing they would choose one of them.

10. Cowboys
Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech
Given the tenuous nature of Tyron Smith's health status, I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas decided to get some insurance and draft a LT prospect. Still, the secondary was abysmal last season, save for some decent rookie play from Trevon Diggs. Farley would fill a need and might be a stronger value than taking a tackle here.

11. Giants
Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama
Waddle, despite his injury this season, is generally regarded as a better prospect than Henry Ruggs was a season ago. The Giants don't have a true weapon among their pass catchers (I'm not counting Saquon Barkley), and Waddle's game-breaking ability would change that.

12. 49ers
Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota St.
I believe this is Lance's absolute floor, and he will likely go earlier, perhaps a few picks earlier, perhaps to the 49ers or another team that trades up for him. If picked, the exciting dual threat option could likely sit for all or much of '21 while Jimmy G plays another season with the club. It wouldn't be out of the question that Lance could get some starts for the Niners this season.

13. Chargers
Rashawn Slater, OL, Northwestern
Other than RT Bryan Bulaga, the O-line is completely unsettled for the Chargers. RG Trai Turner may be a pricey cap casualty. C Mike Pouncey retired, and there's nothing of note at LT and LG, with all apologies to Sam Tevi and Forrest Lamp (a guy I liked when he was drafted). Slater is slightly undersized for LT, but is very athletic, and worst case scenario, he should slot in nicely at a guard spot. Gotta protect Justin Herbert.

14. Vikings
Gregory Rousseau, EDGE, Miami
Rousseau opted out of the '20 season (like Sewell and Chase and Parsons and Slater did), but looked like a big-time player as a 19-year-old in 2019. Because of his youth and upside, I could see him as the first edge rusher chosen, and Minnesota has little of note behind Danielle Hunter.

15. Patriots
Mac Jones, QB, Alabama
That's 4 Tide players among the first 15 picks. Yes, the Pats have a lot of holes to fill, including at QB. I expect them to be checking in on the veteran QB market, perhaps looking at names like Marcus Mariota and, yes, Jimmy G. But we know about the Belichick-Saban connection, and as efficient as Jones was a season ago (with less weapons than Tua had in '19), perhaps he would be seen as a guy who can be a smart, above-average NFL QB for a long time. After last year's failed experiment with run-oriented Cam Newton, perhaps this makes sense.

16. Cardinals
Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina
Patrick Peterson is moving on (and wasn't very good last season anyway), and the team has nothing of note other than the still-young Byron Murphy. Let's get some help there.

17. Raiders
Christian Barmore, DL, Alabama
Look, I have no idea what Mike Mayock will do here, other than taking someone from a big-name school. He reached for Clelin Ferrell at #4 overall in '19, and he reached for Damon Arnette at #19 overall last year. Barmore is a menacing figure in the defensive trenches and looked great in the CFP.

18. Dolphins
Christian Darrisaw, OL, Virginia Tech
I'm seeing a lot of people mock Najee Harris here. While I like Najee, to me procuring another solid OL option makes more sense. It's not like Myles Gaskin wasn't a good player for Miami a season ago, so I'd continue to beef up the line if I could. Darrisaw and one of last year's 1st rounders, Austin Jackson, can solidify the tackle spots, while Robert Hunt kicks inside to a guard spot.

19. Washington
Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota
Pretty quietly, the WFT have built a decent roster, and we know about the defense up front. They still lack a franchise QB, but this is a team getting closer as they build up the roster. Terry McLaurin, Logan Thomas, and Antonio Gibson are a good trio of skill players on offense, but McLaurin in particular needs some help. Let's try to get him some with another WR weapon.

20. Bears
Alijah Vera-Tucker, OL, USC
I'm actually shocked that Ryan Pace didn't overpay for Carson Wentz and give up this pick, given how awful his QB evaluations have been. I expect them to be in on the Mariota types this offseason, but for this pick, the putrid O-line must be addressed. Vera-Tucker had originally opted out, but came back once the Pac-12 played its truncated season. He looked great on tape and could be a solid LT in the NFL.

21. Colts
Jalen Mayfield, OL, Michigan
Speaking of LT needs, the Colts need to replace theirs after Anthony Castonzo chose to retire. Mayfield only played a couple of games but pops on tape, and, similar to Slater in '19, had good results against Chase Young that year.

22. Titans
Kwity Paye, EDGE, Michigan
The Titans didn't do much of anything right on defense this past season despite their 11 wins and division title, and more pass rush help is sorely needed. Paye is a rangy athlete with the type of upside that should solidify him as a 1st rounder, possible as early as 14th to the Vikings.

23. Jets
Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida
After taking Wilson, let's get him a weapon to work with. At receiver, Denzel Mims seems like a keeper, though he's been oft-injured in his young football life. Beyond that, Breshad Perriman was merely on a 1-year deal, and Jamison Crowder doesn't seem like a long-term fit as the slot receiver. Toney is 5'11 195 but solidly built, and is electric with the ball in space. He's drawn Tyreek Hill comps for his build and athleticism.

24. Steelers
Liam Eichenberg, OL, Notre Dame
While this could be a spot for a RB like Harris, the Steelers have seen their O-line go from a strength to an unmitigated disaster pretty quickly. It simply must be addressed, either through the draft, free agency, or both. Eichenberg has experience all over the line during his time at Notre Dame.

25. Jaguars
Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame
Back-to-back Golden Domers come off the board. Owusu-Koramoah only goes about 215-220 pounds, but he's like a heat-seeking missile that flies around the field. Urban Meyer is a coach that prefers speed throughout his defense, not unlike Jimmy Johnson many moons ago.

26. Browns
Jaelen Phillips, EDGE, Miami
After Rousseau opted out, it was Phillips, a UCLA transfer, who starred in his stead. His performance and athleticism should keep him in the 1st Round, and the Browns certainly need to find more help for Myles Garrett.

27. Ravens
Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa
The Ravens have shown a penchant for taking the best player available (as they saw it) while drafting, not emphasizing need as much. Collins and last year's 1st Round pick, Patrick Queen, would be a nice duo of talent to have at linebacker.

28. Saints
Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU
Malcolm Jenkins has had a fabulous career, but anyone could see that he struggled mightily in coverage a season ago. Moehrig is the draft's best safety prospect, so this is a good fit.

29. Packers
Jayson Oweh, OLB/EDGE, Penn St.
After the bizarre draft from Brian Gutekunst a season ago, this is a very difficult team to try to project. For all I know, they'll take a QB again, or perhaps a fullback. If they listen to logic, maybe Oweh will appeal to them. Though Za'Darius Smith is still going strong, Preston Smith faltered, and more pass rush juice is needed. Oweh is toolsy but raw, not unlike Rashan Gary, who finally popped in 2020 and was drafted out of Michigan by the Packers under a similar player evaluation.

30. Bills
Najee Harris, RB, Alabama
Finally a spot I like for Najee, who could conceivably be considered at 18 (Dolphins), 23 (Jets), or 24 (Steelers). While Brian Daboll dialed up an outstanding, pass-first offense a season ago that was executed well by Josh Allen, the offense was too one-dimensional because Devin Singletary and Zach Moss look like ordinary talents, relatively speaking. Harris would give the offense a jolt and give defenses more to worry about.

31. Chiefs
Teven Jenkins, OL, Oklahoma St.
We all saw KC's Super Bowl pretty much wrecked by their porous O-line. (Well, that, and the coaching's staff inability to make adjustments.) LT Eric Fisher and RT Mitchell Schwartz will be recovered from their injuries to likely start in '21, but both are heading into contract years, and neither is a plus player, anyway. Jenkins gets strong marks for his pass blocking and represents insurance in the present (and maybe he can play a guard spot in '21), and is the future at a tackle spot.

32. Buccaneers
Joseph Ossai, OLB, Texas
Even if the Super Bowl champs can retain Shaq Barrett, there's nothing wrong with adding depth with pass rushers. This is a team that hit paydirt when they took Vita Vea, remember, despite already having strong depth on the D-line. It made a strength a downright terror for opposing offenses to deal with. I flirted with the idea of Travis Etienne here, and wouldn't rule that out if he were available.
_________________
THE JOB IS FINISHED!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 32008

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:


15. Patriots
Mac Jones, QB, Alabama
That's 4 Tide players among the first 15 picks. Yes, the Pats have a lot of holes to fill, including at QB. I expect them to be checking in on the veteran QB market, perhaps looking at names like Marcus Mariota and, yes, Jimmy G. But we know about the Belichick-Saban connection, and as efficient as Jones was a season ago (with less weapons than Tua had in '19), perhaps he would be seen as a guy who can be a smart, above-average NFL QB for a long time. After last year's failed experiment with run-oriented Cam Newton, perhaps this makes sense.




Ha, I knew you'd come around. I thought Mac Jones was a mid-first round prospect, and it was due to both a New England need and the Belichick-Saban connection. I just hope it works out better than the busted Duke Dawson pick.

There's a lot to like about Mac Jones, though the questions are valid: How much of his poise is attributable to the outstanding offensive line in Alabama, and did those WRs make his throws and running through his progressions that much better? I'm still not convinced Wilson is great, I'll just have to leave that to my betters. There's too little on tape that convinces me that Wilson is either amazing or just the product of a system that hid his shortcomings. Trey Lance has elite traits, but he flashed for only one season against lower-quality competition. He has the highest ceiling of all of the first round QBs, and the lowest floor. I'm gun shy on any QB coming out of Ohio State, and Fields does little to ease the apprehension.

My two cents: The only two guys who will probably not be over-drafted are Lawrence and Jones.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 32008

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject:

Tampa Bay has too many key players who are turning into free agents. Lots of commentators say stupid things like, "Scottie Miller can take Godwin's place" without realizing that Miller isn't a slot receiver. It's a different skill set and mind set. What you lose with Godwin are those outstanding hands and physicality. He may have dropped too many balls in the playoffs, but he is the man who got you invited to the dance. Personally, I'd prioritize signing Shaq Barrett over Godwin, but not be a whole lot. There's a scarcity of quality OLBs in this draft, which is why I'm inclined to go with Barrett over Godwin. But on that note, the Bucs will absolutely need to find a high-quality slot. I'm not sure if it's wise to rely on re-signing Antonio Brown for that role; he can play in the slot, but you have to worry about his age and ability to remain distraction-free. And of course you lose blocking.

ChickenStu did correctly identify the vital cog in the Buc pass rush: Vita Vea. Vea demands a double team, and he collapses the pocket. That makes life easier for Barrett, JPP and Suh. Vea is the guy they must extend at all costs next season. You can replace a Barrett, but not a Vea.

On that note, assuming the Bucs can keep only keep either Barrett or Godwin, they must find cap space next season to extend Vea. I think the Bucs should take a long and hard look at drafting a LT and C. Donovan Smith and Jensen both started the season shaky, but improved during that last stretch of games. They both become free agents after next season, and together they account for over $24 million in payroll/cap space. There are some intriguing late first LTs, and I'm keeping an eye on a promising C in the late third, Quinn Meinerz. Meinerz is probably good enough to take the RG spot from Cappa next season, and could probably fill in as a C the season thereafter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 23166
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject:

^
Lavonte David is a free agent too, and I'm guessing he is allowed to walk. Perhaps between Barrett and Godwin, they extend one and franchise tag the other.

I think that's smart analysis regarding LT especially, and there are some quality O-line guys that could be available around pick #32, although I had the top 7 going before 32, with KC picking one at 31. But there are plenty more, there's no doubt.

The Vita Vea discussion is an illustration of how my thoughts about the draft have changed. I remember when the pick was made, and I thought it was a reach and overkill, I think, since they already seemed to have such a solid D-line. But making a solid position group a major strength is something I've seen work. It gives your team an identity, something your opponent really has to be wary of. When Dallas had its best run of the past decade, it was because they kept taking O-linemen high, and they kept churning out great rushing totals and kept Romo upright, and then transitioned from DeMarco Murray/Romo to Zeke and Dak. We've seen what the Football Team has done with its bevy of 1st Rounders on the D-line, and adding Chase Young has made that group a terror. Last year, the Falcons should have done the same thing with the falling CeeDee Lamb. Dude fell right into their laps, and instead of taking advantage of the gift and having an incredible WR trio at their disposal -- yes, they were a bad team, but they could have at least thrown it all over the yard -- they took a decent CB who probably wasn't much better than the corners that would have been available in the 2nd Round. Yes, looking at need is important, but the most important thing is to just get talent on your roster. When need and talent match up, you're golden.

One more thought for now: I could see the WFT trading up to 14 to take Mac Jones. That would snare him before New England could take him, for one. But for another thing, I like the match because Minnesota doesn't have a 2nd Round pick, having traded it away last year in the Yannick Ngakoue deal. Furthermore, the Football Team has an extra 3rd Round pick courtesy of the 49ers from the Trent Williams deal last year. To move up from 19 to 14, it just so happens that pick #74 (the WFT pick via SF) is just about the right number of points on the draft trade chart that most teams use.
_________________
THE JOB IS FINISHED!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 45325

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
With the new league year expected to come on March 17, I figured we could hold off on a new '21 thread until then. Having said that, we are just over 2 months away from the NFL Draft, and you know how I feel about that. You know it, you love it, so with all that said, here is my first mock draft (of many), and I will not project any trades this far out:

1. Jaguars
Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
Despite some ridiculous media drivel that Lawrence is not the #1 QB on some teams' boards, yeah, whatever. Moving on...

2. Jets
Zach Wilson, QB, BYU
To be clear, I would take Justin Fields here, but I'm not the Jets, and they may be more keen on Wilson.

3. Dolphins
Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU
If the Dolphins keep this pick, I think you could argue for either Chase or DeVonta Smith at WR, or Penei Sewell at LT. I think it will be a WR, and despite the obvious Tua-Smith connection, I believe that Chase will be evaluated as the superior prospect.

4. Falcons
Justin Fields, QB, Ohio St.
A Georgia homecoming for Fields. While the Falcons say that Matt Ryan isn't going anywhere, even if that's true, this pick is high enough to where I don't think Atlanta can pass on adding a potential franchise QB.

5. Bengals
Penei Sewell, OL, Oregon
I truly believe the Bengals would pick Sewell if they had the 1st overall pick, so this is a fantastic get for a team that desperately needs to protect Joe Burrow.

6. Eagles
Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
Pitts is an absolute freak of an athletic specimen and could be a monstrous TE/WR hybrid type in the NFL, as a complete matchup nightmare for defenses. The Eagles could decide that Smith is the better option here, but I think that Pitts could be the pick.

7. Lions
DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama
Marvin Jones will depart as a free agent, and Kenny Golladay's status is in limbo (he might get the franchise tag, possibly even as a prelude to a tag-and-trade scenario). You could argue for a defensive talent like Micah Parsons here, but Smith makes sense on a lot of levels.

8. Panthers
Micah Parsons, LB, Penn St.
I've seen Parsons mocked anywhere from 6th to 28th. What is not in dispute is his immense talent. So why the variance? Well, he was involved in that hazing scandal at Penn St., similar to Yetur Gross-Matos a season ago, causing the latter to slip into the 2nd Round. But who took YGM? That's right, the Panthers. So if they were OK with him, it would stand to reason that they are probably OK with Parsons, too. Of course, this defense has some young building blocks to work with, recent draft picks like Brian Burns and Jeremy Chinn and YGM. But they haven't replaced future Hall Of Famer Luke Kuechly, so enter Parsons. Note that the Panthers are being very aggressive on the QB market, are likely going to be players for Deshaun Watson, and could trade up for one of the top 4 QB's, or simply just take Trey Lance here.

9. Broncos
Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama
Denver needs a new #1 outside corner to replace AJ Bouye, and Surtain and Caleb Farley seem to be the consensus top 2 CB's this year. I'm guessing they would choose one of them.

10. Cowboys
Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech
Given the tenuous nature of Tyron Smith's health status, I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas decided to get some insurance and draft a LT prospect. Still, the secondary was abysmal last season, save for some decent rookie play from Trevon Diggs. Farley would fill a need and might be a stronger value than taking a tackle here.

11. Giants
Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama
Waddle, despite his injury this season, is generally regarded as a better prospect than Henry Ruggs was a season ago. The Giants don't have a true weapon among their pass catchers (I'm not counting Saquon Barkley), and Waddle's game-breaking ability would change that.

12. 49ers
Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota St.
I believe this is Lance's absolute floor, and he will likely go earlier, perhaps a few picks earlier, perhaps to the 49ers or another team that trades up for him. If picked, the exciting dual threat option could likely sit for all or much of '21 while Jimmy G plays another season with the club. It wouldn't be out of the question that Lance could get some starts for the Niners this season.

13. Chargers
Rashawn Slater, OL, Northwestern
Other than RT Bryan Bulaga, the O-line is completely unsettled for the Chargers. RG Trai Turner may be a pricey cap casualty. C Mike Pouncey retired, and there's nothing of note at LT and LG, with all apologies to Sam Tevi and Forrest Lamp (a guy I liked when he was drafted). Slater is slightly undersized for LT, but is very athletic, and worst case scenario, he should slot in nicely at a guard spot. Gotta protect Justin Herbert.

14. Vikings
Gregory Rousseau, EDGE, Miami
Rousseau opted out of the '20 season (like Sewell and Chase and Parsons and Slater did), but looked like a big-time player as a 19-year-old in 2019. Because of his youth and upside, I could see him as the first edge rusher chosen, and Minnesota has little of note behind Danielle Hunter.

15. Patriots
Mac Jones, QB, Alabama
That's 4 Tide players among the first 15 picks. Yes, the Pats have a lot of holes to fill, including at QB. I expect them to be checking in on the veteran QB market, perhaps looking at names like Marcus Mariota and, yes, Jimmy G. But we know about the Belichick-Saban connection, and as efficient as Jones was a season ago (with less weapons than Tua had in '19), perhaps he would be seen as a guy who can be a smart, above-average NFL QB for a long time. After last year's failed experiment with run-oriented Cam Newton, perhaps this makes sense.

16. Cardinals
Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina
Patrick Peterson is moving on (and wasn't very good last season anyway), and the team has nothing of note other than the still-young Byron Murphy. Let's get some help there.

17. Raiders
Christian Barmore, DL, Alabama
Look, I have no idea what Mike Mayock will do here, other than taking someone from a big-name school. He reached for Clelin Ferrell at #4 overall in '19, and he reached for Damon Arnette at #19 overall last year. Barmore is a menacing figure in the defensive trenches and looked great in the CFP.

18. Dolphins
Christian Darrisaw, OL, Virginia Tech
I'm seeing a lot of people mock Najee Harris here. While I like Najee, to me procuring another solid OL option makes more sense. It's not like Myles Gaskin wasn't a good player for Miami a season ago, so I'd continue to beef up the line if I could. Darrisaw and one of last year's 1st rounders, Austin Jackson, can solidify the tackle spots, while Robert Hunt kicks inside to a guard spot.

19. Washington
Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota
Pretty quietly, the WFT have built a decent roster, and we know about the defense up front. They still lack a franchise QB, but this is a team getting closer as they build up the roster. Terry McLaurin, Logan Thomas, and Antonio Gibson are a good trio of skill players on offense, but McLaurin in particular needs some help. Let's try to get him some with another WR weapon.

20. Bears
Alijah Vera-Tucker, OL, USC
I'm actually shocked that Ryan Pace didn't overpay for Carson Wentz and give up this pick, given how awful his QB evaluations have been. I expect them to be in on the Mariota types this offseason, but for this pick, the putrid O-line must be addressed. Vera-Tucker had originally opted out, but came back once the Pac-12 played its truncated season. He looked great on tape and could be a solid LT in the NFL.

21. Colts
Jalen Mayfield, OL, Michigan
Speaking of LT needs, the Colts need to replace theirs after Anthony Castonzo chose to retire. Mayfield only played a couple of games but pops on tape, and, similar to Slater in '19, had good results against Chase Young that year.

22. Titans
Kwity Paye, EDGE, Michigan
The Titans didn't do much of anything right on defense this past season despite their 11 wins and division title, and more pass rush help is sorely needed. Paye is a rangy athlete with the type of upside that should solidify him as a 1st rounder, possible as early as 14th to the Vikings.

23. Jets
Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida
After taking Wilson, let's get him a weapon to work with. At receiver, Denzel Mims seems like a keeper, though he's been oft-injured in his young football life. Beyond that, Breshad Perriman was merely on a 1-year deal, and Jamison Crowder doesn't seem like a long-term fit as the slot receiver. Toney is 5'11 195 but solidly built, and is electric with the ball in space. He's drawn Tyreek Hill comps for his build and athleticism.

24. Steelers
Liam Eichenberg, OL, Notre Dame
While this could be a spot for a RB like Harris, the Steelers have seen their O-line go from a strength to an unmitigated disaster pretty quickly. It simply must be addressed, either through the draft, free agency, or both. Eichenberg has experience all over the line during his time at Notre Dame.

25. Jaguars
Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame
Back-to-back Golden Domers come off the board. Owusu-Koramoah only goes about 215-220 pounds, but he's like a heat-seeking missile that flies around the field. Urban Meyer is a coach that prefers speed throughout his defense, not unlike Jimmy Johnson many moons ago.

26. Browns
Jaelen Phillips, EDGE, Miami
After Rousseau opted out, it was Phillips, a UCLA transfer, who starred in his stead. His performance and athleticism should keep him in the 1st Round, and the Browns certainly need to find more help for Myles Garrett.

27. Ravens
Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa
The Ravens have shown a penchant for taking the best player available (as they saw it) while drafting, not emphasizing need as much. Collins and last year's 1st Round pick, Patrick Queen, would be a nice duo of talent to have at linebacker.

28. Saints
Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU
Malcolm Jenkins has had a fabulous career, but anyone could see that he struggled mightily in coverage a season ago. Moehrig is the draft's best safety prospect, so this is a good fit.

29. Packers
Jayson Oweh, OLB/EDGE, Penn St.
After the bizarre draft from Brian Gutekunst a season ago, this is a very difficult team to try to project. For all I know, they'll take a QB again, or perhaps a fullback. If they listen to logic, maybe Oweh will appeal to them. Though Za'Darius Smith is still going strong, Preston Smith faltered, and more pass rush juice is needed. Oweh is toolsy but raw, not unlike Rashan Gary, who finally popped in 2020 and was drafted out of Michigan by the Packers under a similar player evaluation.

30. Bills
Najee Harris, RB, Alabama
Finally a spot I like for Najee, who could conceivably be considered at 18 (Dolphins), 23 (Jets), or 24 (Steelers). While Brian Daboll dialed up an outstanding, pass-first offense a season ago that was executed well by Josh Allen, the offense was too one-dimensional because Devin Singletary and Zach Moss look like ordinary talents, relatively speaking. Harris would give the offense a jolt and give defenses more to worry about.

31. Chiefs
Teven Jenkins, OL, Oklahoma St.
We all saw KC's Super Bowl pretty much wrecked by their porous O-line. (Well, that, and the coaching's staff inability to make adjustments.) LT Eric Fisher and RT Mitchell Schwartz will be recovered from their injuries to likely start in '21, but both are heading into contract years, and neither is a plus player, anyway. Jenkins gets strong marks for his pass blocking and represents insurance in the present (and maybe he can play a guard spot in '21), and is the future at a tackle spot.

32. Buccaneers
Joseph Ossai, OLB, Texas
Even if the Super Bowl champs can retain Shaq Barrett, there's nothing wrong with adding depth with pass rushers. This is a team that hit paydirt when they took Vita Vea, remember, despite already having strong depth on the D-line. It made a strength a downright terror for opposing offenses to deal with. I flirted with the idea of Travis Etienne here, and wouldn't rule that out if he were available.



Great breakdown ChickenStu, you better never go behind a paywall!

I am known for bold predictions and am going to make one here:

Trey Lance will be the best QB in this draft class at the NFL level.

I like Lawrence, but I think this kid Lance could be something else.

Also, I would never draft a WR top 3, maybe not top 5 if I was a GM. Same with RB and CB....only QB, O Line, DLine and special LBs in the top 5.
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 23166
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject:

^
Miami at least has a second 1st Round pick, so if they love Chase (or Smith, I suppose), they have the luxury of picking a WR imo. They haven't been able to keep DeVante Parker healthy. I'd certainly never, ever, ever take a RB high. If I were Miami I would take a strong look at Sewell. I think it's too high for Parsons and I don't think there's a D-lineman or edge rusher worth picking that high this year.

A great WR is certainly worth considerably more than a great RB.
_________________
THE JOB IS FINISHED!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 23166
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Ron Jaworski thinks that the Eagles may take a QB at 6 overall. If that's the case, what was the point of taking Hurts in the 2nd Round last year? I mean, Hurts looked better than Tua did last season. What are they going to do, take a QB and then trade Hurts?

I'll still believe it when I see it, but it will be interesting to see if whispers get louder for this possibility.
_________________
THE JOB IS FINISHED!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 23683

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject:

I feel like there's way more to this story

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/27/former-nfl-defensive-lineman-louis-nix-is-reported-missing/


Quote:
Former NFL defensive lineman Louis Nix is reported missing

Louis Nix, a third-round pick of the Texans in 2014 who also spent time with the Giants, Washington, and Jaguars, has gone missing in Florida.

Ben Becker of ActionNewsJax.com posted the plea from Nix’s mother, who explained that she has heard nothing from her son in several days.

“Last communication of anyone seeing him was Tuesday,” Nix’s mother said. “Can’t call him because voice mail is full and people he talks to daily have not heard from him. Not like him.”

She added that she believes Nix is in danger. As of several minutes before this item was posted, Becker added that Nix’s mother said there is no new information regarding his whereabouts.

Nix, a three-year starter at Notre Dame, was shot in December while putting air in the tires of his car. The bullet, Nix explained at the time, ricocheted off his sternum and entered his lung. He had surgery to remove it. His mother told Becker that, since then, Nix has not liked to go out. She does not believe, however, that the latest development is related to the shooting.

If you have any information about Nix’s whereabouts, contact the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office at (904) 630-0500.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 23166
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Rumblings of Russell Wilson's discontent with the Seahawks growing more intense. That they simply don't see him as this all-World QB like he sees himself, and like how many see him. If that's the case, then Seattle should accept a ransom for him and trade him. I mean, if he's just a game manager and you want to be a run-based offense, that's what you should do, right?

Either run your offense through him, or trade him to a team who will.
_________________
THE JOB IS FINISHED!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 34723

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Rumblings of Russell Wilson's discontent with the Seahawks growing more intense. That they simply don't see him as this all-World QB like he sees himself, and like how many see him. If that's the case, then Seattle should accept a ransom for him and trade him. I mean, if he's just a game manager and you want to be a run-based offense, that's what you should do, right?

Either run your offense through him, or trade him to a team who will.


I think that relationship is finished...he'll be on a new team soon enough. Russell Wilson commands a huge salary and Seattle isn't getting any better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 23166
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Rumblings of Russell Wilson's discontent with the Seahawks growing more intense. That they simply don't see him as this all-World QB like he sees himself, and like how many see him. If that's the case, then Seattle should accept a ransom for him and trade him. I mean, if he's just a game manager and you want to be a run-based offense, that's what you should do, right?

Either run your offense through him, or trade him to a team who will.


I think that relationship is finished...he'll be on a new team soon enough. Russell Wilson commands a huge salary and Seattle isn't getting any better.


Schefter reported that he would consider waiving his no-trade clause for the Cowboys, Bears, Saints, or Raiders. One thing to consider is that Seattle is not about to try to rebuild, given that Carroll is almost 70 and that they just traded two 1st Round picks for Jamal Adams. So if they move Wilson, they would need to secure a viable starting QB in return. That means that the team they trade Wilson to has to have a good starter, or that this team has a pick that can guarantee a top-4 QB in this year's draft. To me, that makes Chicago or New Orleans much less likely. The Raiders only have pick #17, which isn't good enough to guarantee drafting a top QB, and Mariota isn't enough of a sure thing. But Carr is a solid QB, so maybe that is a possibility. Then there's Dallas, which has the 10th pick and Dak Prescott. Of course, for Seattle to agree to this, I'm sure they would have to come to an extrension agreement with Prescott, but I see this as the most likely scenario if Wilson is traded.
_________________
THE JOB IS FINISHED!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 54, 55, 56  Next
Page 55 of 56
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB