🏈NFL 2023 DISCUSSION THREAD🏈
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 333, 334, 335  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Did Michael Thomas go catchless? Talk about a major disconnect this season between he and team. There's no way that happens last year.

Saints are $95MM over the cap next season. Will be an interesting offseason for them, that's for sure.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Wow, Chargers hire Brandon Staley. Big loss for the Rams. And now the OC hire will be very important for the Chargers. If Daboll doesn't get a head coaching gig, that will be big for the Bills to retain him, also.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Packers open as a 4-point favorite over the Bucs.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Guess Chargers are still fighting for LA....take away the Rams DC in the process of finding a head coach. My guess is Stan is gonna up the Chargers rental rates at the new stadium...
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
That was a methodical 2nd half by the Bucs.....not hard to believe that Brady is going back to the conference championship game.

14 conference championship games in one career is ridiculous. That will likely never be matched.

Is Brady the only one to play both National and American conference finals as a starter?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject:

is there any chance Rams get involved in trying to get Watson from Texans?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Happy for Brady. The Tampa Bay defense changed radically from their first two regular season games against New Orleans and it paid off big. Gone was that insipid zone defense with cushioning, and that insipid sending 5, that just played to Bree's strengths. Lots of man defense in coverage, and a deserved confidence that they could stop the run up front. Kamara is going to gash you from time to time, but certainly not enough to lead to lead to a win if the offense is somewhat effective.

The Tampa Bay offense still has lots of room for improvement. They wasted the entire first half, they began to morph more towards a New England style balanced, horizontal passing game the second half. Memo to Arians and Leftwich: stop being stubborn, embrace your offensive strengths.

Tampa Bay beat Green Bay decisively, but that was just the regular season.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
That was a methodical 2nd half by the Bucs.....not hard to believe that Brady is going back to the conference championship game.

14 conference championship games in one career is ridiculous. That will likely never be matched.

Is Brady the only one to play both National and American conference finals as a starter?

I believe Montana made it to the AFC championship during one of his seasons with Kansas City.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
ksmgf wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I believe Montana made it to the AFC championship during one of his seasons with Kansas City.

That is definitely correct. Jay Schroeder did it, I believe, with Washington and the Raiders. Beyond that, I'm not sure.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject:

Devin White has been the best defensive player on the Bucs all season. Sometimes he gets lost on his reads, but I've seen that out of other quality ILBs and MLBs. Yesterday he was the most impactful player on the field, with 11 tackles (10 solo), 1 pass defended, 1 tackle for a loss, 1 interception, and 1 fumble recovery. He's been excellent all season, and yet his PFF grade is 43.4, which equates to practice squad material.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject:

I've always liked Drew Brees, my favorite non-Patriots player in the NFL. I rooted for Brees and had hoped to see a great Super Bowls between New Orleans and New England. I figured that the rib injury was a blessing in disguise, as missing a few games fairly late in the season would help preserve what was left of his arm. Even after losing his fastball, he had the ability to read the defense and make good decisions.

Last night he had nothing. He wasn't presented zones to pick apart, and he doesn't have the arm to zing it into good man coverage. It has been the same story the past three seasons, he loses more and more zip as the season progresses. It's time to hang the cleats up, he's been a great QB but it is clearly over.

I thought it was too bad that Brady and Brees didn't say more after the post-game handshake, but that's because both prefer private moments. Here's a great clip of them visiting with one another after the game, with Brady hugging Brees while encouraging him ("...another great season...") then lofting a TD pass to one of Brees' sons ("Where were you? I could have used you tonight."):

https://twitter.com/JamesPalmerTV/status/1351017125444546568
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject:

Rivers retired. Glad to see he will no longer be on the Colts. Time for the Colts to draft a QB or go get Watson.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Rivers retired. Glad to see he will no longer be on the Colts. Time for the Colts to draft a QB or go get Watson.

I rather draft a QB. Watson is talented but he's not talented enough for the Colts put up with his drama.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject:

Rivers' arm was shot to hell by the end of last season, he was practically shot-putting the ball, a sure sign of a shoulder problem.

He'll make it to the HOF, but it's amazing when you look at his stats and the lack of success among his peers.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject:

I don't expect the Bucs to win this weekend, despite blowing out Green Bay earlier this season. I consider it just one of those games that happens to every NFL team every season.

I liked what Tampa Bay did last week, they finally played more man defense in coverage. I'd like to see them mix in a little more zone this week, and keep two men high when going to man. You have to respect Rodgers deep ball, he's what I call a bucket thrower in terms of placement. With Brees it made little sense to chase him down, he releases the ball too damn fast. Rodgers likes to watch his plays develop, he's someone that you want to send more than just three. Unlike playing New Orleans, this is a game where the pass rush is very important.

It was just announced that Antonio Brown is out, Tampa needs Godwin to stop dropping so many passes. The offense should be about ball control, instead of that insipid "no risk it no biscuit" this game should be about the receivers breaking shorter routes, with an occasional long ball to keep GB honest. I don't like RoJo being hobbled, Fournette lacks quickness and balance.

I sincerely doubt Vita Vea will make a return. I think he's being showcased to force GB into game-planning for his presence.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject:

Mahomes is cleared to play on Sunday. For now, the line is still KC -3.5. I'm guessing the line will inch closer to 5. Keep in mind that the Chiefs have not covered the spread for about 3 months.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Rivers spent his entire career in the same conference as Peyton and Tom* (and even Big Ben). I think it’s just one of those victim of timing things with him and his playoff record— had he come in a few years earlier/later or gone to NFC he probably would have more playoff wins.

Is GB’s defense better than NO? I thought if we could get past NO defense then we pass our toughest test for offensive production, and our defense will be the deciding factor going forward. But am I overlooking how good the GB defense is? Or are they really not as stingy as NO?

Unfortunately for the Bills, I think KC blows them out and becomes the favorite heading into the SB.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Mahomes is cleared to play on Sunday. For now, the line is still KC -3.5. I'm guessing the line will inch closer to 5. Keep in mind that the Chiefs have not covered the spread for about 3 months.

The line hasn't really moved. I don't think anyone really believed that Mahomes wouldn't be cleared to play this game.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

Is GB’s defense better than NO? I thought if we could get past NO defense then we pass our toughest test for offensive production, and our defense will be the deciding factor going forward. But am I overlooking how good the GB defense is? Or are they really not as stingy as NO?

GB has a better passing game than NO, and given that Tampa Bay's pass defense is only so-so, that could spell trouble. Brees' arm was just dead, I don't remember a single pass that traversed over 20 yards. Obviously Rodgers will do a better job of stress-testing that TB secondary. It will be important to pressure Rodgers early and often.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

GB has a better passing game than NO, and given that Tampa Bay's pass defense is only so-so, that could spell trouble. Brees' arm was just dead, I don't remember a single pass that traversed over 20 yards. Obviously Rodgers will do a better job of stress-testing that TB secondary. It will be important to pressure Rodgers early and often.

Green Bay's defense is not better than that of the Saints, but the Packers' pass defense is pretty good. Jaire Alexander is better than Marshon Lattimore, and the Packers' safeties are also better. But overall, the Saints were the better defense this season. The Packers don't offer a ton of resistance against the run. Of course, you'd much rather have a strong pass defense in the NFL today.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Appreciate the breakdowns. As a casual fan who gets more interested during the postseason I find myself trying to play catch-up to understand what to expect from different matchups.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject:

^^^

ChickenStu's overall sports knowledge across the majority of sports is literally second to none on LG. If we're talking full range, it ain't even close.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
^^^

ChickenStu's overall sports knowledge across the majority of sports is literally second to none on LG. If we're talking full range, it ain't even close.

Especially baseball, good stuff always from him. At least when he agrees with me!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject:

OK, so it is that time again, you fearless NFL Prognosticator is back with his picks vs the spread for this weeks playoff games.

Week 1 was a brutal 1-4-1 vs. the spread but rebounded last week for 2-2 vs the spread and trending in the right direction (I think)

So here we go for the conference championship games, lines courtesy Bovada.

Tampa Bay at Green Bay -3.5

This should be a great game. Tampa gave GB a drubbing earlier in the season, so it isn't like they can't beat them. However, this is the first NFC Title Game for Rodgers in Lambeau Field and the MVP (I have called it) is not losing this game, he is just too good. The extra half point is scary as it could easily be decided by a field goal, but I am going with the Packers to cover the 3.5 and go to the Super Bowl.

Buffalo at Kansas City -3

Another great matchup, both teams have tons of firepower and are extremely well coached. I picked against Buffalo vs. Baltimore last week and ended up regretting it. The defense they played vs. Baltimore was unbelievable, if they get anywhere near that effort again they are going to be very difficult to beat.

I love KC and Mahomes, but he is banged up (I am more concerned with his toe than the concussion, but neither is great going into a championship game) and I think will have limited mobility. Buffalo did a great job containing the big plays when they played KC earlier in the season and I think they do it again here.

In a LakerLanny upset special, I am picking the Buffalo Bills to not only cover the spread, but win the game outright and have them dancing in the streets of Western New York.

So Green Bay and Buffalo are the picks. You know what to do.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
^^^

Definitely. I know I’ve learned a lot in the Dodger thread alone from CS. But now I’m getting schooled on football too haha
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 333, 334, 335  Next
Page 31 of 335
Jump to: