Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 333, 334, 335  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
My picks in the playoffs, and I reserve the right to change these if more info becomes available:

NFC
Saints over Bears
Seahawks over Rams
Bucs over WFT

Packers over Bucs
Saints over Seahawks

Packers over Saints

AFC
Bills over Colts
Steelers over Browns
Ravens over Titans

Chiefs over Ravens
Bills over Steelers

Chiefs over Bills

And, finally, in the Big Game...

Packers over Chiefs

I don't disagree with your picks, but I'm having a hard time projecting past one week given what Covid can do to a roster and coaching staff. Case in point, if I had to pick on Sunday, I would have projected the Browns over the Steelers.

If I had to bet, I'd take the points and go with WFT. I project a low scoring game. Alex Smith will pick up plenty of nickels and dimes on the street left by the Bowles' soft zone coverage, which leaves lots of unnecessary padding. Smith is a weak armed QB, but he's a fast processor and very accurate. The Buc defense also have an alarming tendency to give up lots of chunk plays, which will lead to a handful of scores. That's not the key to the bet though, as WFT will concentrate on time of possession football with that dink and dunk attack, leaving the Bucs with poor field position and limited opportunities outside of long drives. I sort of expect Arian and Leftwich to get impatient and start forcing the issue with a vertical passing attack, which isn't Brady's forte, and that will lead to stalled drives and a highly predictable offensive play calling.

I agree with you about taking the points and the Football Team. That's a lot of points to be giving when a defense is that good. I mean, it's entirely possible that Washington hardly scores and doesn't cover, but I'd take the points too.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
It would be very Chargers-y to hire Garrett LOL. They have interest in a wide range of names, including most of the hot names, so it's not time to panic just yet if you're a Charger fan. Still, it's eyebrow-raising. Talk about a hire that would be uninspiring!

It would be a typically horrid hire by the Chargers and their inept ownership. I expect it will happen as they always screw it up.

This is an "if", but if Robert Saleh could bring in a competent offensive coordinator, I think he would be an absolute home run hire by the Chargers. Imagine Saleh working with Bosa and Ingram and Kenneth Murray and Hayward and Harris and a returning Derwin James. The Chargers have had talented players on their defense for quite some time, but it always seems like they don't get as much out of that unit as they could. If you get the OC hire wrong, that could be a problem, but I feel like Saleh could really turn that defense into a top-notch group.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject:

Has anyone taken a look at the draft-eligible college QBs? Being a Patriots fan, I've looked at Zach Wilson and Trey Lance (Lawrence and Fields will be long gone by pick 15). It's tough to formulate an opinion, Lance only played one game this season but had a pretty nice 2019 campaign. I used highlights tape for both, which of course ignores a tremendous body of work.

Processing: There's always a problem assessing the quick process decision making from a highlight reel, the bonehead plays are edited out. From what I saw, Lance looked better than Wilson. Lance went through his progressions and made good decisions. Wilson looked good, but too many of those plays looked like they emanated from a coach's whiteboard rather than an ad lib or a progression.

Arm talent: Lance definitely has a live arm, and has decent touch. Wilson has better touch, but I never saw him unleash anything that required a fastball or a true long ball. Both are pretty accurate, though I did notice Lance fitting balls into tighter windows. Lance tends to throw low passes. Sometimes a low pass can save the receiver and reduce the chance of an interception. I'm not sure if that's Lance's intention, or if this is just an attribute that might need to be addressed as low passes can lead to lower YAC.

Presence: Both looked pretty good, Wilson has the slight edge here. Both did a pretty good job sensing and handling pressure. Lance doesn't always keep his eyes downfield. Though both looked pretty good navigating in the pocket, Wilson looked slightly better.

Mobility: Lance, by far. Wilson isn't a slug, but Lance has athleticism. More importantly, Lance doesn't take to the hoof immediately. He's looking to pass, unless there are either no options or it is specifically a running play.

Mechanics: Neither had a problem, good footwork. I don't get the Wilson criticism about it leading to an earlier injury, his mechanics looked fine.

Perhaps the online and media scouts see things that I don't, and have access to better resources, but I think Trey Lance looks better than Zach Wilson.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Has anyone taken a look at the draft-eligible college QBs? Being a Patriots fan, I've looked at Zach Wilson and Trey Lance (Lawrence and Fields will be long gone by pick 15). It's tough to formulate an opinion, Lance only played one game this season but had a pretty nice 2019 campaign. I used highlights tape for both, which of course ignores a tremendous body of work.

Processing: There's always a problem assessing the quick process decision making from a highlight reel, the bonehead plays are edited out. From what I saw, Lance looked better than Wilson. Lance went through his progressions and made good decisions. Wilson looked good, but too many of those plays looked like they emanated from a coach's whiteboard rather than an ad lib or a progression.

Arm talent: Lance definitely has a live arm, and has decent touch. Wilson has better touch, but I never saw him unleash anything that required a fastball or a true long ball. Both are pretty accurate, though I did notice Lance fitting balls into tighter windows. Lance tends to throw low passes. Sometimes a low pass can save the receiver and reduce the chance of an interception. I'm not sure if that's Lance's intention, or if this is just an attribute that might need to be addressed as low passes can lead to lower YAC.

Presence: Both looked pretty good, Wilson has the slight edge here. Both did a pretty good job sensing and handling pressure. Lance doesn't always keep his eyes downfield. Though both looked pretty good navigating in the pocket, Wilson looked slightly better.

Mobility: Lance, by far. Wilson isn't a slug, but Lance has athleticism. More importantly, Lance doesn't take to the hoof immediately. He's looking to pass, unless there are either no options or it is specifically a running play.

Mechanics: Neither had a problem, good footwork. I don't get the Wilson criticism about it leading to an earlier injury, his mechanics looked fine.

Perhaps the online and media scouts see things that I don't, and have access to better resources, but I think Trey Lance looks better than Zach Wilson.

What do you think of Mac Jones? ESPN is projecting he goes to the Colts at #21
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

I'll try to take a look at the tape when I have time, perhaps as early as this weekend.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Joe Marino (a good follow on Twitter and who is one of the better Mock Draft folks out there) has mocked Devonta Smith 20th to the Bears, and I was very surprised to see him mocked that low. He had Ja'Marr Chase going 7th and Jaylen Waddle 8th. He had QB's going with the first 4 picks, as well, mocking a trade up by the Panthers to Miami's #3 pick to take Zach Wilson. Then he has Trey Lance going to the Falcons at #4.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-marino-4.0
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
1m
#Texans QB Deshaun Watson is extremely unhappy with the organization after owner Cal McNair informed him he would be involved in the GM and coach hiring process and provide feedback… but then did neither in the hire of GM Nick Caserio, sources say.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Joe Marino (a good follow on Twitter and who is one of the better Mock Draft folks out there) has mocked Devonta Smith 20th to the Bears, and I was very surprised to see him mocked that low. He had Ja'Marr Chase going 7th and Jaylen Waddle 8th. He had QB's going with the first 4 picks, as well, mocking a trade up by the Panthers to Miami's #3 pick to take Zach Wilson. Then he has Trey Lance going to the Falcons at #4.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-marino-4.0

I don't know if that's the exact draft order, but that is almost how I have the first four QBs ranked. I give Trey Lance the edge over Wilson.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Take a quick look at that last TD thrown by Wilson in the bowl game on ESPN. While he executed it well, the WR made life easy by having position over the DB. The two other TDs were coaching play calls. I'm just having trouble placing Wilson over Lance. Maybe he is better, but I haven't seen anything conclusive.

Lance looks like a high ceiling, low floor guy, Wilson is the safer pick. But I haven't seen anything that makes me believe that Wilson is a franchise QB. Lance's upside is franchise QB.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Take a quick look at that last TD thrown by Wilson in the bowl game on ESPN. While he executed it well, the WR made life easy by having position over the DB. The two other TDs were coaching play calls. I'm just having trouble placing Wilson over Lance. Maybe he is better, but I haven't seen anything conclusive.

Lance looks like a high ceiling, low floor guy, Wilson is the safer pick. But I haven't seen anything that makes me believe that Wilson is a franchise QB. Lance's upside is franchise QB.

I certainly haven't seen much of Wilson, and I've seen nothing of Lance. What I did see of Wilson, it looked like he was never under pressure and was just playing easy, pitch-and-catch football.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
It would be very Chargers-y to hire Garrett LOL. They have interest in a wide range of names, including most of the hot names, so it's not time to panic just yet if you're a Charger fan. Still, it's eyebrow-raising. Talk about a hire that would be uninspiring!

It would be a typically horrid hire by the Chargers and their inept ownership. I expect it will happen as they always screw it up.

This is an "if", but if Robert Saleh could bring in a competent offensive coordinator, I think he would be an absolute home run hire by the Chargers. Imagine Saleh working with Bosa and Ingram and Kenneth Murray and Hayward and Harris and a returning Derwin James. The Chargers have had talented players on their defense for quite some time, but it always seems like they don't get as much out of that unit as they could. If you get the OC hire wrong, that could be a problem, but I feel like Saleh could really turn that defense into a top-notch group.

ChickenStu, I wish you were GM and I was your highly paid scouting assistant.

Saleh over Garrett for sure in my mind, of course this is the Spanos Family and The Chargers we are talking about so expect them to mess up the hire.

That said, I was a Herbert skeptic before the season and he is clearly Rookie of the Year so maybe they surprise and do something smart for once.

Have to get better defensively and Saleh is a defense guy. Can't win collapsing on D in every close game on the last drive aka "pulling a Chargers".
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject:

^
I can see them opting for someone that they see as an offensive guru, too, with Herbert as the main beneficiary of that. But if you think he's going to be good regardless, then I think a defensive-minded coach could work. But you can't have archaic offensive coaching, and that's pretty much what Jason Garrett would bring. I think any of Saleh, Panthers OC (and 2019 LSU OC) Joe Brady, Bills OC Brian Daboll, Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy, Titans OC Arthur Smith, Colts DC Matt Eberflus, or Rams DC Brandon Staley would be upside hires. Garrett would be a poor retread hire. A retread like Jim Caldwell would be preferable to me instead of someone like Garrett, but I'd hire any of those names I mentioned over Caldwell for sure. I don't consider Urban Meyer as realistic because I think he's going to take the Jaguars job.

The Chargers supposedly are interviewing Garrett because the Spanos family is close with Jimmy Johnson and Norv Turner, and apparently those two were recommending Garrett. Dallas ties die hard, I guess. Perhaps it's just a cursory interview. I certainly hope so, for Charger fans' sake.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Predictions for the NFL Saturday Triple Header vs. The Spread

Lines courtesy Bovada

Indy +7 at Buffalo

I don't like to give this many points typically, but I have a feeling Buffalo is for real this season. They win the game, the only question is by how much and 17+ wouldn't surprise me.

LA Rams +3.5 at Seattle

I like Seattle here to cover though I could see a painful 1/2 point loss on the spread also with Seattle only winning by 3. But I am not big on the Rams uncertainty at QB and a banged up Goff, we shall see as the Rams do have two all NFL Defensive Players this season in Donald and Ramsey.

Tampa -8 at Washington

This is my favorite pick of the week. 8 points is a ton in the NFL, but I think this game is deceiving in that Tampa is really light years better than Washington in my opinion. Look for Thomas Brady to make a statement and Tampa to roll big.

So I am taking all 3 favorites here and giving the points, typically death but we shall see.

Sunday prediction vs. the spread after the Saturday games are done.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:

I haven't found enough tape on Mac Jones, so here is a summary from just a few highlight tapes. It obviously ignores a tremendous body of snaps and situations.

Initial thoughts on Mac Jones: Some nice traits, he knows that his long ball placement is his strength. Note how he scans the field, he's looking for his deep WR, and if he's not comfortable, he looks for the next deep receiving talent. Pluses: He uses his strength nicely, and the placement tends to be money. Minuses/Questions: He tends to ignore the easier intermediate-level targets who were wide open (watch his eyes). Can he read the entire field well, or does this suggest some tunnel-vision or a processing issue? Or is he merely leveraging strength to strength (good long ball placement, outstanding receivers). The footwork desperately needs to cleaned up, leading to flings from a poor base. Is he really 6'3"? He doesn't look it. Undersized can be fine, but he's not that mobile, which means height is important when you stay within the pocket. Presence-wise, he may not have good peripheral vision as he should move up in the pocket at times. He did throw into some tight windows, but can he do this under pass rush pressure (he had excellent protection). Even bigger talent question that you need to ask (this is the biggest question of all, in fact): How much of this was Mac Jones, and how much of this was the product of having outstanding WRs? Those WRs are college level elite and definite pro prospects, with speed, quickness and route running that just blew the doors off of both zone and man coverage (thanks Nick Saban).
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject:

What are Tom Brady’s chances of winning another SuperBowl this year?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Colts have been screwed by coaching multiple times this year.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Colts have been screwed by coaching multiple times this year.

Reich has had an absolutely pathetic game. As bad as you will see. I chastised Anthony Lynn this year for decisions and game/clock management, so I would be remiss if I didn't do the same with Reich. Up 10-7 late in the first half and with 3rd and goal from the 1, you DON'T call a wide pitch/toss play to the RB. Just because Brissett didn't score on an earlier attempt from the 1, it's not like he lost yardage, so I don't know why they didn't go back to that. Then you certainly don't go for it on 4th and goal from the 4! Take your 3 points and go up 13-7. Instead, the Bills go down the field and make it a 14-10 lead at halftime.

Then Reich managed to completely waste 2 timeouts in the 2nd half, one where the play clock reached 0 on first down (just take the 5-yard penalty instead, it's first down), and the other on a challenge they had no chance of winning. Indy has gotten back into it at 24-16 now, but they only have 1 timeout, and that could play a big part in deciding this one.

Oh, and they just got stood up at the 1 on the 2-point try. Just not a good day for Reich at all.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Colts with one of the pure dumb calls I’ve ever seen. Now they need to go for two just to tie.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Coaching blunders aside, this is a pretty good game. Indy answered with a TD and then the 2-point conversion. Bills by 3 with 6 minutes left.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Josh Allen nearly gave the game away. As it is, that sack allowed for Indy to have a chance to tie or win now. Great finish coming.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject:

After an inexplicable non-overturn of what clearly should have been a Pascal fumble, the Colts were given new life, but could not take advantage. The Bills prevail.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject:

What happened to the Rams starter QB?
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Wow that was a dirty play from Seattle.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
After an inexplicable non-overturn of what clearly should have been a Pascal fumble, the Colts were given new life, but could not take advantage. The Bills prevail.

That call was egregious, Pascal clearly fumbled. Rivers was done last season, his shoulder is trash at this point. While some of those drops were on his receivers, Rivers was launching wobbly passes on a line due to him compensating for a trashed shoulder. Time to hang it up.

Speaking of bad calls, Wolford gave himself up. That should have been a personal foul.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Alex Smith is inactive for the WFT. This will be a low scoring game, the Bucs will take them with a low-risk game plan.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 333, 334, 335  Next
Page 23 of 335
Jump to: