🏈NFL 2023 DISCUSSION THREAD🏈
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 333, 334, 335  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/27/son-of-former-packers-great-loses-fathers-super-bowl-ii-ring/

Quote:
Son of former Packers great loses father’s Super Bowl II ring

The son of a former Packers great is seeking the safe return of his father’s Super Bowl II ring, Scott Venci of the Green Bay Press-Gazette reports.

Mike Kostelnik is offering a $5,000 reward.

His father, defensive tackle Ron Kostelnik, won the ring in his seventh of eight seasons with the Packers.

Mike wore the ring on a recent road trip with his family, making a stop at a BP gas station in Greensburg, Indiana. The family believes it was lost at the gas station.

“We don’t know what happened to the ring,” Mike told Venci. “When we got to Miami [University], it was gone. I had taken it off my finger. When you wear that ring, it’s heavy. If your fingers are swollen in the morning, it’s a little hard to carry. So, I know I put it in the console [of the car]. My daughter and I just don’t know what happened to it.”

The family tore the car apart searching for the ring, and they returned to the gas station to retrace Mike’s steps.

Now, they are crossing their fingers somebody finds the ring and does the right thing.

Kostelnik helped the Packers win five NFL championships and the first two Super Bowls. He played a final season with the Colts in 1969.

Kostelnik earned induction into the Packers Hall of Fame in 1989. He died of a heart attack four years later at the age of 53.

Ron’s daughter, Laura, inherited his Super Bowl I ring.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject:

JJ Watt signs with the Cardinals. Apparently he meant that he would sign with a decent team that gave him the most money, not a contender lol. In a related note, I'm seeing a lot of sentiment on Twitter that the Cardinals should make a play for Deshaun Watson and offer up Kyler Murray. Reunite Watson with Hopkins and Watt!

Just because I find the scenario interesting, I wonder what Arizona would have to give up in total. Watson is a top-5 NFL QB, while Murray is probably somewhere in that #10 range or so. You can certainly argue that Murray has upside for more, but Watson isn't in his prime yet, either. Both are actually on similar contract timelines: Murray can be retained on his rookie deal through 2023, while Watson has an out in his contract after the '23 season. Of course, Murray is cheaper for this time period, so that has to factor in, but Watson would undoubtedly be an upgrade in terms of just on-field performance. Watson could likely fetch three 1st Round picks, but I think Murray could get at least two. Would Houston consider Murray, the #16 overall pick this year, and, say, a future 2nd or 3rd rounder for Watson? If you're Arizona, do you do it if Houston demands #16 overall plus a '22 1st Round pick?

If I'm Houston, I probably prefer a potential Miami offer of #3 overall, plus Tua, plus two other 1st's, but if Arizona was willing to cough up a second 1st, I might consider that. Anyway, I thought it was an interesting thought exercise.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Kellen winslow getting 14yrs is crazy.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Both DeVonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle said they would take Mac Jones at QB over Tua. Interesting!

Raiders release RG Gabe Jackson and are apparently shopping RT Trent Brown. I have no idea what the Raiders' plan is. Brown is very good, and though he's had some issues staying healthy over the last 2 seasons, that can be explained last year by the fact that he got COVID and then had complications from that. Are they trying to win, or rebuild, or half-ass it? They've drafted mostly awful recently, too. Just don't get what this team is trying to do at all.

In unsurprising moves, the Giants cut Golden Tate, the Vikings cut Kyle Rudolph, and the Saints cut Jared Cook. Tyrell Williams, who had been cut by the Raiders, signed a deal with the Lions, who are extremely receiver-needy in the wake of Marvin Jones' impending departure and Kenny Golladay's potential free agency. (He could be tagged or tag-and-traded.)
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/04/baker-mayfield-spots-a-ufo/

Quote:
Baker Mayfield spots a UFO

This is gonna make for a great Progressive commercial.

Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield posted recently on Twitter that he and his wife saw a UFO while driving on Wednesday night. Well, they’re nearly certain they saw a UFO.

“Almost 100%, Em and I just saw a UFO drop straight out of the sky on our way home from dinner,” Mayfield said. “We stopped and looked at each other and asked if either of us saw it. . . . Very bright ball of light going straight down out of the sky towards Lake Travis. Anybody else witness this?”

Mayfield is not alone in thinking we are not alone. Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers claims that he has seen a UFO, and that the orange object in the sky was eventually chased by fighter jets.

For years, many have suspected that the government has hidden information about close encounters. Over the past year, the government has systemically been sharing the truth about UFOs, and no one seems to care.

It’s the height of human arrogance and conceit to believe that, in a vast and limitless universe, we inhabit the only planet inhabited with life. The only question is whether we find another planet like ours before the residents of that planet find us.

Then again, there’s a good chance they already have. Hopefully, they won’t be bringing any cookbooks.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield posted recently on Twitter that he and his wife saw a UFO while driving on Wednesday night. Well, they’re nearly certain they saw a UFO.

“Almost 100%, Em and I just saw a UFO drop straight out of the sky on our way home from dinner,” Mayfield said. “We stopped and looked at each other and asked if either of us saw it. . . . Very bright ball of light going straight down out of the sky towards Lake Travis. Anybody else witness this?”

Mayfield is not alone in thinking we are not alone. Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers claims that he has seen a UFO, and that the orange object in the sky was eventually chased by fighter jets.

For years, many have suspected that the government has hidden information about close encounters. Over the past year, the government has systemically been sharing the truth about UFOs, and no one seems to care.

It’s the height of human arrogance and conceit to believe that, in a vast and limitless universe, we inhabit the only planet inhabited with life. The only question is whether we find another planet like ours before the residents of that planet find us.

Then again, there’s a good chance they already have. Hopefully, they won’t be bringing any cookbooks.

Umm . . . Baker, that's called a meteor.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Umm . . . Baker, that's called a meteor.

I have to give it up to Tom Brady, as he's been quite funny on social media lately. So after this Baker Mayfield UFO "news" broke, Colin Cowherd went on his show and said something derisive towards Mayfield, saying "Joe Montana, Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw, and Tom Brady have never seen aliens."

So Brady tweeted back to Cowherd "How do you know I've never seen aliens Colin?"
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Mock Draft Version 2.0, with trades projected this time. Makes it more fun, after all, especially the blockbuster trades that I am going to project.

1. Jaguars
Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
Despite some ridiculous media drivel that Lawrence is not the #1 QB on some teams' boards, yeah, whatever. Moving on...

2. Jets
Zach Wilson, QB, BYU
To be clear, I would take Justin Fields here, but I'm not the Jets, and they may be more keen on Wilson.

3. Falcons
Justin Fields, QB, Ohio St.
TRADE!
I believe that Deshaun Watson will be traded, and that the likes of Miami, Carolina, and Denver will be involved; keep reading to find out where Watson ends up. But if Miami isn't getting Watson, then they are going to build around Tua. With Fields still on the board, I could see Miami shopping this pick. In the top of the 1st Round, it would be logical to assume that Atlanta (at 4), Philly (at 6), Carolina (at 8), San Francisco (at 12), and New England (at 15) could have interest. If Miami can successfully convince Atlanta that it's going to deal this pick to one of those other teams, perhaps they give up #35 overall in order to secure him. This would allow Miami to take the player at 4 that they otherwise would have taken at 3. So I'll project that the Falcons get #3 and Miami's 4th rounder this year, while Miami gets #4 and #35. Welcome back to Georgia, Justin.

4. Dolphins
Penei Sewell, OL, Oregon
I believe this choice would come down to Sewell or Ja'Marr Chase. I have a plan for the Dolphins, who, after this pick, still own picks #18, 35, 36, and 50 coming up. If they take Chase here, even if they tried to move up for the next-best O-lineman behind Sewell, to me there's a big gap there. But if they take Sewell, they will still have the ammo to move up for someone like DeVonta Smith or Kyle Pitts or Jaylen Waddle, and I'd rather walk away with that haul than Chase plus someone else. So Sewell gets the call.

5. Bengals
Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU
OK, so Sewell didn't make it to the Bengals' pick. Pivoting to Chase would give Cincy an incredible young WR trio of he, Tee Higgins, and Tyler Boyd. With a lot of cap space and with many more picks to come, Cincy can still focus on improving the O-line. Just not with this pick.

6. Eagles
Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
Pitts is an absolute freak of an athletic specimen and could be a monstrous TE/WR hybrid type in the NFL, as a complete matchup nightmare for defenses. The Eagles could decide that Smith is the better option here, but I think that Pitts could be the pick.

7. Dolphins
DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama
TRADE!
I'm keeping Smith in the #7 slot, but now he becomes a Dolphin and is reunited with Tua. I think we know why a trade would make sense for Miami. But why does it for Detroit? Well, this is a major rebuilding project. If they move down to #18, they can get some nice assets out of Miami. Yes, they miss out on Smith and some others, but I think it makes sense for them if they can pick up either #18 and #35 (which was just acquired from Atlanta) or #18 and a '21 1st Round pick. I'll opt for the latter deal as making more sense for Detroit, which would give them THREE 2022 1st Round picks (they also own the Rams' 1st in '22, and '23 as well).

8. Panthers
Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota St.
The Panthers are definitely on the hunt for a QB upgrade. If they strike out on Watson, and if Lance is available here, I think he would be the pick.

9. Vikings
Micah Parsons, LB, Penn St.
TRADE!
How about a connect-the-dots deal between Denver's new GM, George Paton, and the Vikings, where he worked in the front office for many years? Parsons is a premium defensive talent at a position of need for Mike Zimmer's bunch, and there's no guarantee that he will still be there at #14. Meanwhile, although Denver could miss out on the top 2 corners in the draft from moving to 14, I have a particular player in mind for them. Along with #14, Denver picks up Minnesota's 3rd rounder, #78 overall, while Minnesota gets a Denver 5th rounder back. Of note is that Minnesota has multiple 4th rounders, lessening the blow of losing the 3rd rounder a bit.

10. Cowboys
Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech
Given the tenuous nature of Tyron Smith's health status, I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas decided to get some insurance and draft a LT prospect. Still, the secondary was abysmal last season, save for some decent rookie play from Trevon Diggs. Farley would fill a need and upon further review, I think he'll get taken ahead of Patrick Surtain as the first corner off the board.

11. Giants
Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama
Waddle, despite his injury this season, is generally regarded as a better prospect than Henry Ruggs was a season ago. The Giants don't have a true weapon among their pass catchers (I'm not counting Saquon Barkley), and Waddle's game-breaking ability would change that.

12. 49ers
Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama
Maybe Mac Jones would be a possibility here, but I don't think the 49ers would go in that direction. Surtain or Rashawn Slater would both be logical picks, but since I think the team will re-sign LT Trent Williams, Surtain is more of an acute need. So he gets the call.

13. Chargers
Rashawn Slater, OL, Northwestern
Other than RT Bryan Bulaga, the O-line is completely unsettled for the Chargers. RG Trai Turner may be a pricey cap casualty. C Mike Pouncey retired, and there's nothing of note at LT and LG, with all apologies to Sam Tevi and Forrest Lamp (a guy I liked when he was drafted). Slater is slightly undersized for LT, but is very athletic, and worst case scenario, he should slot in nicely at a guard spot. Gotta protect Justin Herbert.

14. Broncos
Mac Jones, QB, Alabama
I'm just trying to make angrypuppy happy, folks, as I continue to view Jones favorably upon further examination. When I think about his play at Alabama last year, what he does is deliver accurate passes to talented playmakers, time and time again. Yes, the talent around him was great. But he's not only completing passes, he's completing them in stride, allowing those guys to make the most of YAC opportunities. Now take a look at what Denver has assembled at the skill positions offensively. Jerry Jeudy really came on late in the season, as he got healthier. Noah Fant is a stud at TE. KJ Hamler is a burner. Tim Patrick is solid. And, oh by the way, Courtland Sutton returns. Even Melvin Gordon is an adept pass-catcher. What they don't have is an accurate QB. Jones would be the anti-Drew Lock. It's what this team needs, and I love the fit. Of note is that the O-line should improve this season too, as LT Garret Bolles finally played well and RT Ja'Waun James will return after opting out of the '20 season.

15. Patriots
Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina
Bill Belichick loves a strong secondary. And while JC Jackson has come on big time, Stephon Gilmore was shopped ahead of last year's trade deadline and then got hurt. As he is coming off an injury and entering his contract year, I could see the Pats dealing him, possibly for a 2nd Round pick. Horn could be his direct replacement, at least long-term.

16. Texans
Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota
TRADE!
I know you were waiting for it...Deshaun Watson becomes an Arizona Cardinal in a blockbuster deal! As I look at this potential trade, I see a lot of reasons as to why it makes sense for both parties. If you're Arizona, yes, you've hit on Kyler Murray. He made strides last season in his 2nd year, and he's already positioned himself as probably the 9th-12th best QB in the league, somewhere in that range. But Watson is just a more pure passer than Murray is, while still offering a run element, though not as much as Murray does. Watson is essentially a finished product, although he may continue to get better; he's an elite QB. You have DeAndre Hopkins, so why not reunite him with Watson? Also, it's an opportunity for the Cardinals to have a 26-year-old star QB in a division where the Rams have a 33-year-old veteran now, where the 49ers can't keep Jimmy G (who isn't a star anyway) on the field, and where Seattle is about to alienate Russell Wilson away from their team soon.

Meanwhile, if the Texans make this deal, you get back a QB in Murray who is only going into the third year of his rookie deal, and you get him back in the state of Texas, where he starred as a high schooler. When I look at all the possible Watson suitors, especially the Jets, Dolphins, Panthers, and Broncos, none of those teams have a QB that they can offer back who is close to as good as Murray is, with Tua the only one who may have an argument of having a chance to fulfill his potential. Yeah, the Texans miss out on getting a premium draft pick in this deal, but they are getting a very good young QB back in Murray. I'm going to project that the final deal is Watson to the Cardinals for this pick, a 2022 1st, and a 2023 conditional 3rd Round pick that becomes a 2nd Round pick if Arizona makes the playoffs in both 2021 and 2022 or if they win a Super Bowl in either year.

Oh yeah, and we need to make a pick for the Texans now! How about getting Murray a new alpha WR on the outside in Bateman? Yes, the defense needs serious fixing, but Bateman represents more value to me than any of the remaining defenders.

17. Raiders
Christian Barmore, DL, Alabama
Look, I have no idea what Mike Mayock will do here, other than taking someone from a big-name school. He reached for Clelin Ferrell at #4 overall in '19, and he reached for Damon Arnette at #19 overall last year. Maybe the Raiders will see the CFP dominator as someone who can help their run defense while also being able to pressure the QB from the interior.

18. Lions
Kwity Paye, EDGE, Michigan
The Lions finally get to pick after the move down with Miami. If Jared Goff flops as I suspect he may, the Lions could have a great shot at being the worst team in the league in '21, positioning itself well to draft a QB next year, especially with the three 1st's it will have at its disposal. In talking about Rousseau, Paye, and Phillips, Paye may be deemed to have the most upside of the three, so I'll go with him.

19. Washington
Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida
Pretty quietly, the WFT have built a decent roster, and we know about the defense up front. They still lack a franchise QB, but this is a team getting closer as they build up the roster. Terry McLaurin, Logan Thomas, and Antonio Gibson are a good trio of skill players on offense, but McLaurin in particular needs some help. Let's try to get him some with another WR weapon.

20. Seahawks
Alijah Vera-Tucker, OL, USC
TRADE!
Another blockbuster! We know that Russell Wilson isn't happy in Seattle, and there are nuggets with each passing day that this may be heading towards a divorce. It's also clear that Chicago (a team on Wilson's list of 4 teams that his agent said he would approve a trade to) is trying to do something aggressive in the QB market. The Bears are just desperate enough to cough up something big, and in this case, as a big Russell Wilson believer, I think it would be worth it. They would be wise to take advantage of Seattle seeing Wilson as a good-but-not-great QB, and Seattle can have fun picking up a Marcus Mariota type who can hand off 35 times a game, I guess. The Bears don't have a premium draft pick to offer, but if they offer three 1st's, maybe Seattle will bite. So I'll project that Seattle picks up this pick, a 2022 1st, and a 2023 1st. Now, before you say that's too much to give up for a 32-year-old QB, these are all picks that are going to be mid-to-late 1st rounders. Wilson is a top-5 QB in the league, and if Chicago can pilfer him for that cost, they should do it.

OK, so Seattle has done the unthinkable and traded its star QB for the three 1st's, including this one. They aren't going to take a QB here, but maybe they'll take some protection up front, which is ironically what Wilson has been clamoring for.

21. Colts
Christian Darrisaw, OL, Virginia Tech
Speaking of LT needs, the Colts need to replace theirs after Anthony Castonzo chose to retire.

22. Titans
Gregory Rousseau, EDGE, Miami
The Titans didn't do much of anything right on defense this past season despite their 11 wins and division title, and more pass rush help is sorely needed. Rousseau racked up the sacks for Miami in 2019 in college before opting out of the '20 season, although some scouts think he has had issues on a play-by-play basis of maintaining that motor.

23. Jets
Jalen Mayfield, OL, Michigan
With Toney no longer available, perhaps the Jets will try to add to outstanding LT Mekhi Becton on the O-line. Bookend tackles here with Mayfield.

24. Steelers
Teven Jenkins, OL, Oklahoma St.
The Steelers must address how terrible the O-line has become. Jenkins doesn't have ideal length, but he's big, strong, and is a solid pass protector and people mover in the run game. There's a chance he ends up at guard due to the length factor, but the Steelers have a glaring need at LG anyway.

25. Jaguars
Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame
Owusu-Koramoah only goes about 215-220 pounds, but he's like a heat-seeking missile that flies around the field. Urban Meyer is a coach that prefers speed throughout his defense, not unlike Jimmy Johnson many moons ago, and he could be this draft's version of Isaiah Simmons from a year ago.

26. Browns
Jaelen Phillips, EDGE, Miami
After Rousseau opted out, it was Phillips, a UCLA transfer, who starred in his stead. His performance and athleticism should keep him in the 1st Round, and the Browns certainly need to find more help for Myles Garrett. Of concern is that he had a troubling concussion history during his time at UCLA.

27. Ravens
Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa
The Ravens have shown a penchant for taking the best player available (as they saw it) while drafting, not emphasizing need as much. Collins and last year's 1st Round pick, Patrick Queen, would be a nice duo of talent to have at linebacker.

28. Saints
Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU
Malcolm Jenkins has had a fabulous career, but anyone could see that he struggled mightily in coverage a season ago. Moehrig is the draft's best safety prospect, so this is a good fit.

29. Packers
Ronnie Perkins, EDGE, Oklahoma
After the bizarre draft from Brian Gutekunst a season ago, this is a very difficult team to try to project. For all I know, they'll take a QB again, or perhaps a fullback. If they listen to logic, maybe Perkins will appeal to them, as his game tape from 2020 is superb.

30. Bills
Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern
I had Najee Harris here in my first mock, and now I'm going to drop him from the 1st Round altogether. The Bills are in win-now mode, having fallen one game short of the Super Bowl, and have pressing needs along the O-line, at LB, and at corner opposite Tre'Davious White. Newsome has clear 1st Round talent but an injury history. The Bills could be thinking of taking the plunge on that talent, given how good their team is.

31. Chiefs
Liam Eichenberg, OL, Notre Dame
We all saw KC's Super Bowl pretty much wrecked by their porous O-line. (Well, that, and the coaching's staff inability to make adjustments.) LT Eric Fisher and RT Mitchell Schwartz will be recovered from their injuries to likely start in '21, but both are heading into contract years, and neither is a plus player, anyway. Eichenberg played at LT and at guard during his time in South Bend, and could offer help at three potential spots in '21, depending on how the injury recoveries for Fisher and Schwartz go.

32. Buccaneers
Nick Bolton, LB, Missouri
The Bucs are almost certainly not going to be able to retain all of their star free agent defensive studs, so here they add another.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Patriots bringing Cam Newton back on a 1 year deal.

Surprising as he was absolutely terrible last season but it is a low risk move and for Cam certainly his last chance to start in the NFL if he doesn't pick up his game a lot.

It would help if the Patriots could get him some receivers who are faster than me but he probably couldn't get them the ball anyway based on his pathetic passing last season.

New England is pretty much a full rebuild.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Patriots bringing Cam Newton back on a 1 year deal.

Surprising as he was absolutely terrible last season but it is a low risk move and for Cam certainly his last chance to start in the NFL if he doesn't pick up his game a lot.

It would help if the Patriots could get him some receivers who are faster than me but he probably couldn't get them the ball anyway based on his pathetic passing last season.

New England is pretty much a full rebuild.

I was very surprised when I saw that Newton was coming back. I actually don't think they are rebuilding at all. Like last year, Newton will win you some games just from his sheer rushing, and this year they get several key players back who had opted out in '20. They just traded for Trent Brown and Marcus Cannon is back. Even though they will lose Joe Thuney in free agency, it's still a good offensive line. Yes, the receiving "weapons" right now are terrible. But I expect them to address that in the draft and free agency, and they have loads of cap space, something like $67MM. I thought they were going to aim higher at QB, like maybe a reunion with Jimmy G or something, but they can be competitive imo if Newton is a little better. I still think they may trade Gilmore, especially if they draft Jaycee Horn in the 1st Round, and then maybe draft a receiver in the 2nd Round with the pick they get for Gilmore. Just a thought. Of course, free agency comes before the draft, so we'll see if they add any receivers of note before the draft. It's also worth pointing out that Newton is only getting $5MM in base salary, with the other $9MM available through incentives that look to me to be very unlikely. In other words, that's more like backup QB money, so perhaps they could still bring in a better QB after all. Or move up to draft a QB, or maybe take Mac Jones at 15. We'll see.

As for my last mock, on second thought I just can't see Chicago landing Russell Wilson, since they don't have a viable QB they can send back to Seattle. In that case, perhaps the Raiders make the most sense if a deal is reached, since they can send back Derek Carr. I still expect Deshaun Watson to get moved.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Chargers released Casey Hayward. I had seen that possibility floated, but didn't think they'd really do it. Frees up quite a bit of cap space, and I think the Chargers have over $45MM of space. They have only 1 viable starting O-lineman at the moment (RT Bryan Bulaga) and now a hole at one corner spot. It will be interesting to see if they go after someone like Joe Thuney or Kevin Zeitler at guard.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Green Bay's draft from last year just keeps getting worse and worse, as Aaron Jones has re-signed. OK, that's good, but it makes the selection of AJ Dillon in the 2nd Round last year all the more perplexing. There is simply no defending this process.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Green Bay's draft from last year just keeps getting worse and worse, as Aaron Jones has re-signed. OK, that's good, but it makes the selection of AJ Dillon in the 2nd Round last year all the more perplexing. There is simply no defending this process.

I think in the NFL you have to have a platoon approach at RB.

Jones and Dillon are a great one two punch as Jones is a home run hitter and a great pass receiver and Dillon is bigger and a force running the ball between the tackles or in short yardage.

I am not big on high picks on RBs, but 2nd round is acceptable to me if they felt he was the best player on the board.

Last edited by LakerLanny on Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Jones and Dillon are a great one two punch as Dillon is a home run hitter and a great pass receiver and Dillon is bigger and a force running the ball between the tackles or in short yardage.

I am not big on high picks on RBs, but 2nd round is acceptable to me if they felt he was the best player on the board.

Nah, you can't justify the value of a RB with an early pick unless they are carrying the mail, not when you were a final 4 team like they were and when they could have taken a player who would have provided significantly more value to their team. You don't re-sign Aaron Jones to play him as a platoon guy. Say Dillon takes the Jamaal Williams role. OK, fine. You still used a 2nd round pick on a RB that will be a backup for the vast majority of his rookie deal, and teams rarely re-sign RB's to a second contract. Had Dillon become the guy this year, at least it would have made sense. Now, it's a waste of a pick, and that's not to say that Dillon can't be a good player. But in the role he will now play, it just makes no sense whatsoever.

I hated their draft last year and really hate it now.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Jones and Dillon are a great one two punch as Jones is a home run hitter and a great pass receiver and Dillon is bigger and a force running the ball between the tackles or in short yardage.

Nah, you can't justify the value of a RB with an early pick unless they are carrying the mail, not when you were a final 4 team like they were and when they could have taken a player who would have provided significantly more value to their team. You don't re-sign Aaron Jones to play him as a platoon guy. Say Dillon takes the Jamaal Williams role. OK, fine. You still used a 2nd round pick on a RB that will be a backup for the vast majority of his rookie deal, and teams rarely re-sign RB's to a second contract. Had Dillon become the guy this year, at least it would have made sense. Now, it's a waste of a pick, and that's not to say that Dillon can't be a good player. But in the role he will now play, it just makes no sense whatsoever.

I cannot justify the QB pick in the 1st round at all when you have Aaron Rodgers.

The Dillon pick isn't nearly as bad in my opinion. The NFL is a marathon season and there is no doubt Jones wore down some after a super hot start last season. That is where it makes sense to have two guys who can handle the load, much like the Chargers back in the LT and Michael "The Burner" Turner era.

Who would you have taken last year in the 2nd round at that point ahead of Dillon?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I cannot justify the QB pick in the 1st round at all when you have Aaron Rodgers.

The Dillon pick isn't nearly as bad in my opinion. The NFL is a marathon season and there is no doubt Jones wore down some after a super hot start last season. That is where it makes sense to have two guys who can handle the load, much like the Chargers back in the LT and Michael "The Burner" Turner era.

Who would you have taken last year in the 2nd round at that point ahead of Dillon?

You can sign a decent vet to handle the Williams role....like Williams himself LOL. And Dillon doesn't profile as a 3rd down back/pass-catcher like Williams is. He's an early down grinder. The Packers are clearly at their best if Jones is in the game, and he didn't forgo a shot at free agency to be a committee back.

Yes, the Love pick was just brutal. I'm sure I said this last year, but if your 1st Round QB isn't starting by year two, it's a horrible use of value for a QB on a rookie deal. The third round pick was awful too, an H-back! Their first 3 picks last year essentially didn't help last year's team at all, a team that was one game away from the Super Bowl. Yes, they've been great in the regular season, but perhaps players that would have helped them last year could have gotten them over the hump against Tampa Bay. Love obviously isn't going to help them this year either, and I can't imagine that Deguara will, either. So that's 6 player years of those 3 picks, and perhaps you'll get backup #2 RB contributions from Dillon this year; so that's one year out of 6 player years where you get anything even remotely useful from those 3 players, over 2 NFL seasons.

Brutal, brutal, brutal.

(Oh, as for who the Packers could have taken, anybody but a RB if you aren't planning on that RB to take over the following year. And even still, I didn't like the pick at the time because he wasn't going to help them last year. It's a largely fungible position in today's NFL, and a backup RB is especially fungible. Look, is it nice to have a strong backup RB? Sure. But it's not a good use of resources to spend a high pick on a starting RB IMO, let alone one who is going to be a backup for the vast majority of his rookie deal now.)
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Great career for Brees. One of the best QBs I've ever seen. I wish he would've suited up for one more year, but physically I don't think he's there and he knows that. Interesting to see where the Saints go from here. Also interesting to see if Brees pulls a Favre and un-retires, but I doubt it.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Great career for Brees. One of the best QBs I've ever seen. I wish he would've suited up for one more year, but physically I don't think he's there and he knows that. Interesting to see where the Saints go from here. Also interesting to see if Brees pulls a Favre and un-retires, but I doubt it.

I read that after the hilarious restructuring of Taysom Hill's deal (4 years, $140MM lol, but voidable years) which gave the team more cap space, that they are trying to keep Jameis Winston but don't want to offer him that much money.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject:

The Patriots are spending like crazy, signing Jonnu Smith, Devon Godcheaux, Matt Judon, and Jalen Mills already today. Mills is awful so that one is funny, but they are clearly trying to get back to the playoffs. I can't help but think that this is similar to the Spurs, refusing to bottom out to be able to draft a QB high in the draft. Unless they improve on Newton this year, this just looks like an 8-10 win team to me.

Huge move for the Chiefs, nabbing Joe Thuney.

Huge move for the Bucs, retaining Shaq Barrett.

49ers keep Jason Verrett on a 1-year deal.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject:

The Browns get former Ram safety John Johnson. Huge get for them. They now have 3 good safeties, potentially, along with Ronnie Harrison and Grant Delpit. That is, if Delpit can get on the field this season. It would allow them to use more dime looks on the back end.

I thought Johnson might follow Staley to the Chargers, but obviously that didn't happen. No offensive line moves for the Chargers so far, either. Still awaiting word on what Trent Williams and Kenny Golladay will do.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Chargers with a huge get, nabbing All-Pro center Corey Linsley away from the Packers. This reunites he and Bryan Bulaga, former Packers teammates together. Chargers still have a huge hole at LT that must be filled, of course.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

I read that after the hilarious restructuring of Taysom Hill's deal (4 years, $140MM lol, but voidable years) which gave the team more cap space, that they are trying to keep Jameis Winston but don't want to offer him that much money.

Yea that Hill extension was odd to say the least.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

Yea that Hill extension was odd to say the least.

Was just a way to lower his cap # this year to save money. They gave him a lot of money last season, so they needed to maneuver to get under the cap. From what I gather, the Saints want to sign Winston and let he and Hill compete for the starting gig.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Raiders close to signing Yannick Ngakoue, which would mean that the Ravens have lost both he and Matt Judon in free agency. That's a bit of a blow.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Pats sign Nelson Agholor. They have officially lost their minds LOL.

Rams keep Leonard Floyd with a big 4 year, $64MM deal, although it's probably really a 2 year deal with about half of that money guaranteed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 333, 334, 335  Next
Page 56 of 335
Jump to: