Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Serena drops the first set against Stephens but looks strong in the final two to win.

I missed the match. One of the few times I left the house. A friend who I've had contact with was in contact with someone who was COVID positive. We went to get tested. Neither of us has symptoms.

How did Serena look? Was she into it mentally in the first set? I see the scores 2 6, 6 2 6 2. Those scores indicate she go it going in the final 2 sets.

I only saw the last set. She looked good, particularly the serve. Massive power on the serve. Sometimes it seems like that comes and goes for her nowadays. And Keys had to retire in her match just now with Cornet, and she was in Serena's quarter of the draw.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Djo's temper finally took its toll.

No. 1 seed Novak Djokovic out of the U.S. Open after hitting a line judge with a tennis ball

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Absolute shame. He was far and away the favorite to pick up another easy grand slam. He really needed this one to keep up with Rafa, who will probably get #20 shortly to tie Fed. Novak will now likely be 3 behind.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject:

It didn't look like he did it on purpose. By rule, I don't think officials had a choice but to disqualify him.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
It didn't look like he did it on purpose. By rule, I don't think officials had a choice but to disqualify him.

This is correct. It's an automatic default if you do anything to strike an official (chair umpire or linesperson) or a person retrieving the balls like a ball kid, whether intentional or not, if you do it in a pique of anger. Tim Henman, the longtime top-10 ranked British singles player, was once defaulted from a Wimbledon doubles match because he half-angrily volleyed a ball over the other side of the net after losing a point, as the court looked wide open. Unfortunately, a ball girl ran across the net just as he did it, and she got struck in the face. A complete accident, and he wasn't even really angry, but it didn't matter. Default.

It was the only decision that could have been made.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject:

couldn't have happened to a better guy

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject:

Sakkari's giving Serena more than she wants. 2 2 3rd set. Serena looks winded

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Sakkari's giving Serena more than she wants. 2 2 3rd set. Serena looks winded

She pulled through. Again, no match is an automatic for her now. She could lose to anyone at any time. The good news is that she's already through 4 of the 7 matches she needs to win, so just 3 more now.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Sakkari is a good player who beat Serena couple weeks ago. I didn't see it but from the score seems like a good win for Serena. She's got a tough road though.

Djokovic - add to the dumb things he has done this year. Seems like a genuinely nice guy, but pretty dumb moves on and off the court this year. He deserved the default. I look for one of the top young guys to take it. Probably someone with some Russian heritage (there's a number of them).
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Sakkari is a good player who beat Serena couple weeks ago. I didn't see it but from the score seems like a good win for Serena. She's got a tough road though.

Djokovic - add to the dumb things he has done this year. Seems like a genuinely nice guy, but pretty dumb moves on and off the court this year. He deserved the default. I look for one of the top young guys to take it. Probably someone with some Russian heritage (there's a number of them).

Rublev just beat Berrettini, so that's one Russian through, and Medvedev is playing Tiafoe right now and is up a break in the first set at 5-4. I'd peg Medvedev and Thiem as the co-favorites. Medvedev, of course, came so close to beating Nadal in last year's final.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Unless you're a tennis fan the USO is not really interesting. I kinda agree with Djo, he's Djo, all the top men are gone or not playing. I don't know many of the men still standing. My interest is in women's.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Unless you're a tennis fan the USO is not really interesting. I kinda agree with Djo, he's Djo, all the top men are gone or not playing. I don't know many of the men still standing. My interest is in women's.

Medvedev and Thiem are pretty legit. Thiem's been knocking at the door, having reached 2 of the last 4 major finals, and Medvedev was a finalist at the US Open a year ago and reached the final of 6 straight events at one point last year. Zverev is a better 2-of-3 set player on the ATP Tour and has largely underwhelmed at the majors, though he has a great opportunity to reach the final here with Djokovic out. I'm expecting a Thiem-Medvedev semifinal, and the winner of that to be the heavy favorite to win their first Slam.

As for the women, it's tough to peg anyone but Osaka as the favorite. I'm pulling for Serena to win #24 but every round seems like a struggle.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Kenin just lost to Mertens, and Azarenka beat Muchova. So if Serena wins her quarterfinal, she would not have to face Kenin now. Also, three mothers have advanced to the quarterfinals for the first time in the history of women's tennis in singles majors. (Azarenka, Serena, and Serena's quarterfinal opponent, Pironkova.)
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
couldn't have happened to a better guy

Agreed.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject:

Serena going for the tie with record holder Margret Court. Richard Williams knew what he was talking about when the sister's Venus and Serena first came on tour when he said Serena was the better player. Venus started out as the one deserving of that mantel.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject:

Commentators Rennae, Chris, and Chris openly pulling for Serena.

Took 3 sets but Serena persevered. 4 6, 6 3, 6 2. This is the second match in a row to go the distance. Serena was huffing and puffing in the 3rd set. Conditioning is going to be key if she has to play 3 set matches.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Took 3 sets but Serena persevered. 4 6, 6 3, 6 2. This is the second match in a row to go the distance. Serena was huffing and puffing in the 3rd set. Conditioning is going to be key if she has to play 3 set matches.

Just seems like every match is in question for her. She'll face Azarenka or Mertens next.

Interested to see what happens with Osaka-Brady in the other semifinal. Brady has looked incredible in this event, as she hasn't dropped a single set so far. Of course, Osaka is much more familiar with the occasion of a major semifinal, however. Should be a good one, if Brady isn't overwhelmed by the moment.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Just seems like every match is in question for her. She'll face Azarenka or Mertens next.

Interested to see what happens with Osaka-Brady in the other semifinal. Brady has looked incredible in this event, as she hasn't dropped a single set so far. Of course, Osaka is much more familiar with the occasion of a major semifinal, however. Should be a good one, if Brady isn't overwhelmed by the moment.
I have not seen Brady, but ESPN has been saying that her play has been excellent, enough to win. Osaka seems on her game to me.

Serena did not look great today, but got through. I'm a little bored on the women's side since Serena hasn't looked sharp as before. She better step it up several notches if we want to see a good final. If it's Azarenka or the other one, I'll be bored. Brady Osaka might be the better match. The men's side should be good to see who steps up.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I have not seen Brady, but ESPN has been saying that her play has been excellent, enough to win. Osaka seems on her game to me.

Serena did not look great today, but got through. I'm a little bored on the women's side since Serena hasn't looked sharp as before. She better step it up several notches if we want to see a good final. If it's Azarenka or the other one, I'll be bored. Brady Osaka might be the better match. The men's side should be good to see who steps up.

Love him or hate him Djo's getting ejected makes the men's side interesting. His leaving puts some mystery in the game. If you follow tennis you may have liked what happened. I'm not a tennis fan so I don't know much about the men contestants. All big names that I know are gone.

focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
focus wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Love him or hate him Djo's getting ejected makes the men's side interesting. His leaving puts some mystery in the game. If you follow tennis you'll like what happened. I'm not a tennis fan so I don't know much about the men contestants. All big names gone.
It's funny you mention about the men jodeke. I'd typed up this big long thing replying to one of your earlier messages above talking about the remaining guys and why the storylines were good, and why it was maybe even more exciting to see who steps up. And...I took too long, got busy with work and dumped the message.
Anyway, to save you time, the final should be good, and then the semi with the Russian guy who almost beat Nadal in 5 last year and Thiem should be really top quality. Thiem's playing right now, but he will probably win. So maybe consider checking out those matches about 60-90 minutes in after a set or two are done to save time. Thiem played Djoko in other Slam final this year and should have won actually. He's ready to take one even before Covid. Then the Russian guy and Zverev in the other half are the names to remember because they are going to be sticking around at the top of the game.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Two great women matches today.

1) Jennifer Brady vs Naomi Osaka

2) Serena Williams vs Viktoria Azarenka

Brady's been playing well. Should go 3. If Serena's serve is on she should get by Victoria without a lot of trouble. She bested her in their last meeting 7 5, 6 3.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Despite the fact that Serena is 18-4 against Azarenka, oddsmakers have Azarenka as a -140 favorite tonight. Interesting.

I'll be flipping between the Lakers, the NFL game, and tennis all night.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Despite the fact that Serena is 18-4 against Azarenka, oddsmakers have Azarenka as a -140 favorite tonight. Interesting.

I'll be flipping between the Lakers, the NFL game, and tennis all night.

I'm going to split-screen Lakers, Osaka

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject:

The match went about as I thought it would. Brady played well, Osaka played better

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Osaka vs. Serena, rematch of the US Open finals where Osaka got booed as the winner?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: