🎾 Official US Open Thread🎾
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 53416
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: 🎾 Official US Open Thread🎾

🎾 The US Open starts today. It'll be interesting to see how players perform without a crowd to cheer them on. When Serena screams "C'mon" and there's a tree in the forest.

Unless you're an avid tennis fan there aren't many interesting matches going on right now.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.


Last edited by jodeke on Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 17555
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject:

This might be a year for a new Open champion with so many tournaments being cancelled. Nadal and Fed haven't played much this season due to so many tournaments getting cancelled.

It doesn't look like DIRECTV is covering it this year.
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 53416
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject:

Looking at today's schedule, Djokovic vs Dzumhur and Osaka vs Doi are on ESPN later.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 53416
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Coco Gauff on now. Lost the 1st set 6 3. On serve in the 2nd set 3 3.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 53416
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Coco wins 2nd set 7 6 tie break.

I noticed players have to get their own towels to towel off. They don't towel as much.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 17555
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Coco wins 2nd set 7 6 tie break.

I noticed players have to get their own towels to towel off. They don't towel as much.


Sevetsova wins 6-4 in the third.

ESPN cut off the match right in the middle of the 3rd set for ESPN News so I watched the rest of it online. You can stream any match from the U.S. Open website as long as you're an ESPN subscriber I guess.
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 53416
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Coco wins 2nd set 7 6 tie break.

I noticed players have to get their own towels to towel off. They don't towel as much.


Sevetsova wins 6-4 in the third.

ESPN cut off the match right in the middle of the 3rd set for ESPN News so I watched the rest of it online. You can stream any match from the U.S. Open website as long as you're an ESPN subscriber I guess.


I watched on DTV app US OPEN EXPERIENCE. The app also has MC music choice, Heart RADIO, SCORE GUIDE listing the NBA scores live it also includes, NFL NCAA FB, NBA NASCAR Soccer Golf Tennis. It's a great app. On DTV matches start on channel 900 thru 907
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.


Last edited by jodeke on Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 17555
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Coco wins 2nd set 7 6 tie break.

I noticed players have to get their own towels to towel off. They don't towel as much.


Sevetsova wins 6-4 in the third.

ESPN cut off the match right in the middle of the 3rd set for ESPN News so I watched the rest of it online. You can stream any match from the U.S. Open website as long as you're an ESPN subscriber I guess.


I watched on DTV app US OPEN EXPERIENCE. The app also has MC music choice, Heart RADIO, SCORE GUIDE listing the NBA scores live it also includes, NFL NCAA FB, NBA NASCAR Soccer Golf Tennis. It's a great app.


Ahhh...didn't think of trying the DTV app once I saw it wasn't on regular TV. I've gotten so used to just tuning to channel 701 when the big tournaments start.

Thanks.
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 53416
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Coco wins 2nd set 7 6 tie break.

I noticed players have to get their own towels to towel off. They don't towel as much.


Sevetsova wins 6-4 in the third.

ESPN cut off the match right in the middle of the 3rd set for ESPN News so I watched the rest of it online. You can stream any match from the U.S. Open website as long as you're an ESPN subscriber I guess.


I watched on DTV app US OPEN EXPERIENCE. The app also has MC music choice, Heart RADIO, SCORE GUIDE listing the NBA scores live it also includes, NFL NCAA FB, NBA NASCAR Soccer Golf Tennis. It's a great app.


Ahhh...didn't think of trying the DTV app once I saw it wasn't on regular TV. I've gotten so used to just tuning to channel 701 when the big tournaments start.

Thanks.


Plugin channel 900 its the mix channel. If you have DTV more matches are on 209 ESPN2 starting at 4:00pm
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 38962
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Coco wins 2nd set 7 6 tie break.

I noticed players have to get their own towels to towel off. They don't towel as much.


Sevetsova wins 6-4 in the third.

ESPN cut off the match right in the middle of the 3rd set for ESPN News so I watched the rest of it online. You can stream any match from the U.S. Open website as long as you're an ESPN subscriber I guess.


what is she now...16 years old? Past her prime?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 53416
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Coco wins 2nd set 7 6 tie break.

I noticed players have to get their own towels to towel off. They don't towel as much.


Sevetsova wins 6-4 in the third.

ESPN cut off the match right in the middle of the 3rd set for ESPN News so I watched the rest of it online. You can stream any match from the U.S. Open website as long as you're an ESPN subscriber I guess.


what is she now...16 years old? Past her prime?

I was thinking same. As she grows older she'll get stronger. Her tennis life has just begun. Serena set the bar and it's high.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 53416
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Djokovic vs Dzumhur on ESPN2 now.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 53416
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject:

ESPN jumping all over the place. It's difficult to watch. Get interested in a match and they switch to another one.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 53416
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject:

@numero-ocho On DTV the games start on channel 901 not 701. It's changed. 901 is the mixed channel. It shows all games playing at the same time. You can choose which to watch.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 17555
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
@numero-ocho On DTV the games start on channel 901 not 701. It's changed. 901 is the mixed channel. It shows all games playing at the same time. You can choose which to watch.


Thanks jodeke. I wasn't aware of the change. I accidentally found it on ch 205 this morning as well.
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 53416
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Serena still on track to tie Margaret Court 24 grand slam singles titles.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 21558
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Serena still on track to tie Margaret Court 24 grand slam singles titles.


Long way to go for that, still. Serena vs. Sloane next.
_________________
Job's not finished.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 53416
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Serena still on track to tie Margaret Court 24 grand slam singles titles.


Long way to go for that, still. Serena vs. Sloane next.


I have a feeling she's gonna choke as she did in the Australian Open quarterfinals. She showed cracks against Margarita Gasparyan. Hope I'm wrong. The window is closing. She has a history with Slone that's not very amiable.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
focus
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2012
Posts: 1946

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Serena still on track to tie Margaret Court 24 grand slam singles titles.


Long way to go for that, still. Serena vs. Sloane next.


I have a feeling she's gonna choke as she did in the Australian Open quarterfinals. She showed cracks against Margarita Gasparyan. Hope I'm wrong. The window is closing. She has a history with Slone that's not very amiable.
I don't think she has it for seven matches anymore. Movement is just not there consistently, and then pile up nerves and opponents who are younger and have noticed her choking in big moments. Hope I am wrong because it's not like the field is that great. #1 seed, known for choking herself, choked already to a known choker who came through this time. Other top players aren't playing. The problem is Osaka is, Azarenka is back and in her half, and Serena has to play Sloane and Madison Keys probably after that. And her nerves plus movement could go off like they did in the other Slams where she'd get all the way to the final and then flame out. Those were chokes. She may not actually choke here, she may just not move well enough and not be the real favorite against Keys or Azarenka.
Would love to see her pull through, but it's just all icing on the cake to me now. She's the GOAT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 53416
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Serena still on track to tie Margaret Court 24 grand slam singles titles.


Long way to go for that, still. Serena vs. Sloane next.


I have a feeling she's gonna choke as she did in the Australian Open quarterfinals. She showed cracks against Margarita Gasparyan. Hope I'm wrong. The window is closing. She has a history with Slone that's not very amiable.
I don't think she has it for seven matches anymore. Movement is just not there consistently, and then pile up nerves and opponents who are younger and have noticed her choking in big moments. Hope I am wrong because it's not like the field is that great. #1 seed, known for choking herself, choked already to a known choker who came through this time. Other top players aren't playing. The problem is Osaka is, Azarenka is back and in her half, and Serena has to play Sloane and Madison Keys probably after that. And her nerves plus movement could go off like they did in the other Slams where she'd get all the way to the final and then flame out. Those were chokes. She may not actually choke here, she may just not move well enough and not be the real favorite against Keys or Azarenka.
Would love to see her pull through, but it's just all icing on the cake to me now. She's the GOAT.

It may be conditioning. She doesn't have the abs of old Serena. I noticed she's a little pudgy in the middle.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
focus
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2012
Posts: 1946

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
adkindo wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Coco wins 2nd set 7 6 tie break.

I noticed players have to get their own towels to towel off. They don't towel as much.


Sevetsova wins 6-4 in the third.

ESPN cut off the match right in the middle of the 3rd set for ESPN News so I watched the rest of it online. You can stream any match from the U.S. Open website as long as you're an ESPN subscriber I guess.


what is she now...16 years old? Past her prime?

I was thinking same. As she grows older she'll get stronger. Her tennis life has just begun. Serena set the bar and it's high.
Did you see in the Last Dance where MJ I think was retelling how Phil told him in the Finals one year something like "Maybe it's good to lose one game" w/MJ chuckling and shaking his head in disbelief? I'm kind of glad she lost. Tennis media including international media in UK and elsewhere were saying she was going to be the greatest player of all time, whether she would break Serena's records, or the Slam record, and then piling more pressure with racial justice offcourt leadership, voice of a new generation stuff. 16. Slow down a little on the heaping of pressure on the kid please. These days you don't see any 16-18 year olds winning Slams either women or men.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
focus
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2012
Posts: 1946

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
focus wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Serena still on track to tie Margaret Court 24 grand slam singles titles.


Long way to go for that, still. Serena vs. Sloane next.


I have a feeling she's gonna choke as she did in the Australian Open quarterfinals. She showed cracks against Margarita Gasparyan. Hope I'm wrong. The window is closing. She has a history with Slone that's not very amiable.
I don't think she has it for seven matches anymore. Movement is just not there consistently, and then pile up nerves and opponents who are younger and have noticed her choking in big moments. Hope I am wrong because it's not like the field is that great. #1 seed, known for choking herself, choked already to a known choker who came through this time. Other top players aren't playing. The problem is Osaka is, Azarenka is back and in her half, and Serena has to play Sloane and Madison Keys probably after that. And her nerves plus movement could go off like they did in the other Slams where she'd get all the way to the final and then flame out. Those were chokes. She may not actually choke here, she may just not move well enough and not be the real favorite against Keys or Azarenka.
Would love to see her pull through, but it's just all icing on the cake to me now. She's the GOAT.

It may be conditioning. She doesn't have the abs of old Serena. I noticed she's a little pudgy in the middle.
May be tougher to find the time to do as much training as before for a number of reasons but I don't know. I thought she looked back to speed in her very first match of the tournament before and looked sharp. Maybe it's just ups and downs of getting older. Another reason Lebron is pretty astounding. Doesn't have up and downs, it's amazing at his age. It's all ranges from darn good to phenomenal for him in overall game.

For the men, I think Djokovic might not get it and a young guy gets it. Maybe the Russian who almost beat Nadal in the final last year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 53416
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject:

Naomi Osaka stumbled in the second set. Bounced back right away. 6 3, 7 6, 6 2.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 21558
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Serena drops the first set against Stephens but looks strong in the final two to win.
_________________
Job's not finished.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 53416
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Serena drops the first set against Stephens but looks strong in the final two to win.

I missed the match. One of the few times I left the house. A friend who I've had contact with was in contact with someone who was COVID positive. We went to get tested. Neither of us has symptoms.

How did Serena look? Was she into it mentally in the first set? I see the scores 2 6, 6 2 6 2. Those scores indicate she go it going in the final 2 sets.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB