LAKERS -vs- BLAZERS - 8/18 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -vs- BLAZERS - 8/18 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Top Seeds Falling... I wish these games could be played among the fans. Staples packed from the floor to the rafters. In the silence of the Bubble, how would Kobe to Shaq sound? Horry for three? You don’t have the crowd, you don’t have an advantage.

The Blazers have been dialed in and fighting for their lives since getting to the Bubble. They’ve been ready to go for a while. The Lakers, on the other hand, have struggled with focus and intensity. They’ve struggled with hitting open shots.

They were quickly welcomed to the playoffs by the Blazers in the first quarter, trailing by 16 points. The transition D was poor. The three shooting nonexistent.

There was a brief moment in the second quarter when the threes did fall, the D turned it on and the Lakers rallied, cutting the lead back to 2 points. That was the team we knew and loved.

But the lack of perimeter shooting in this game has a compounding effect. The paint gets packed. That limits LeBron’s scoring. It pushes AD out to the perimeter. And it allows the Portland bigs to protect the rim.

Despite all that, the Lakers got extra possessions on the offensive glass and with steals to keep it tight. They pulled out to a 6-point lead in the fourth. It was anyone’s game midway through the quarter. Then we lost momentum, sitting Kuzma, and LeBron and AD missed four straight freethrows. In a grind out game when you’re not hitting threes, you’ve got to get those points.

Still, the Blazers held the Lakers to 19 points in the third and 18 points in the fourth. This is not a defensive team. Give them credit for sure, but the Lakers made it easy for them. They shot 5-32 from three -- 15.6%. No deep analysis is necessary.

Our shooters shot blanks. The Blazers guns were loaded.

All it took was a series of threes by the Blazers down the stretch. With the Lakers unable scratch out a point with guys driving into traffic with no confidence in their shots, the Lakers fell 100-93.

With that, both top seeds dropped their opening games. Welcome to the Bubble.

LeBron -- -- Nearly a triple-double in the first half. He had 12 points (4-10 shooting), 8 boards and 10 assists in the half. That’s 10 of the Lakers 11 assists in the half, which kind of shows a bit of the problem with when he sat. (He’d finish with 16 of the Lakers 22 assists, a new playoff career high.) Collected and confident when we were down big in the first quarter, he worked his way to the rim for scores and began orchestrating the offense in the first half. The Blazers really looked to pack the paint to take that away from him as the game went along. He’d finish with 23, 17 and 16. “He would have had over 20 assists if we knocked down threes at the rate were capable of and will,” Vogel said. For reference, LeBron averaged 29 points, 9 rebounds and 7 in his 239 playoff games coming into this one. Hopefully, some role players join in. It’s hard for LeBron to play to his strengths when he can’t get downhill with consistency. The Stats: He scored 23 points on 9-20 shooting (1-5 from three, 4-7 from the line) to go with 17 boards, 16 assists, 1 steal, 4 turnovers and 1 foul in 41 minutes. He was a -23.

Davis -- -- He had 21 points on 5-15 shooting (11-13 from the line) in the first half. He went 0-5 from three. The two bigman lineups push him out on the perimeter. He’s got to be a threat from for those to have any kind of effectiveness...which, ultimately, is a crapshoot. We’re better off spacing the floor for him and LeBron and going smaller. The Lakers bigs missed a few chippies in this game, but they were all battling hard on the offensive glass. “I missed a couple easy ones,” he said afterward. He mentioned he needs to take more time at the rim. Some moments with LeBron/AD in the two man sequences. If we can get him on the move, it’s trouble for the Blazers. If not, that makes it tough. Defensively, some superb moments by AD challenging shots. He should be the difference maker for us against the Blazers guards. He is mobile and long and that was making an impact against them. Holding them to 100, should be enough for us to win. As far as numbers go, AD averaged 30 points, 12 rebounds and 2.5 blocks in 13 playoff games with a handful of games against the Blazers in that mix. He was pretty much in line with those numbers tonight. The -20 is playing with Green, KCP and McGee. It’s a problem. The Stats: He scored 28 points on 8-24 shooting (0-5 from three, 12-17 from the line) to go with 11 boards, 1 assist, 2 steals, 2 blocks, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 39 minutes. He was a -20.

Green -- -- HIs first stint was awful. One of the reasons we were in a hole early was Green just not hitting his shots. He went 0-4 in the first 4 minutes and we trailed by 7. He’d finish 2-8 from three. But it’s the wide open ones that are just killer. I think we put him in late because he was the only one to hit more than one three. Defensively, his footspeed against Portland makes me nervous. He picked up his third foul with 6:44 left in the first half and had to sit. He did have a big strip to save a hoop on a rotation, but I really did not want to see him and KCP coming back in during closing time. The Stats: He scored 10 points on 4-12 shooting (2-8 from three) to go with 2 boards, 1 steal and 5 fouls in 24 minutes. He was a -20.

McGee -- -- His first stint we were a -7. McGee was playing with energy, getting to the offensive glass as well as challenging shots. The problem of pushing AD out on the perimeter still persisted. If we don’t start out hitting perimeter shots, the starters are an issue. Defensively, the key is how we play the pick and roll with McGee. He can’t stay in drop coverage or we’ll get toasted. For the most part, our bigs were out on the perimeter and helping out on the guards. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 3-5 shooting to go with 8 boards (4 offensive), 1 block and no fouls in 13 minutes. He was a -9.

Caldwell-Pope -- -- He had a lot of momentum before the season ended. Shots looked automatic. That was quietly one of the bigger things helping the Lakers gain momentum before the season came to a halt. He was a consistent shooter. But remember, he started slow during the season and took on the fan wrath. He’s started slow in previous seasons. He’s started the Bubble slow, as well. Tonight’s game? Still slow. The shots were not confident. He straight up killed us offensively. As much as we talk about missing Bradley for D, we could use him simply to drop a couple of threes and bringing some swagger. KCP just had no confidence. Late in the game, he tried attacking the paint to make something happen and was deterred by their bigs. Maybe having fans would help him in this “home game” or maybe they’d turn on him. Still, this was an awful offensive game...0-9. Defensively, we did fine. Some mistakes by KCP on a rotation or two. We missed that bucket or two he usually gets as we go from defense to offense off our stops and steals. He did have a backcourt steal to set up Green for a score. The Stats: He scored 1 points on 0-9 shooting (0-5 from three, 1-2 from the line) to go with 1 board, 1 assist, 3 steals, 1 turnovers and 3 fouls in 29 minutes. He was a -18.

Kuzma -- -- Kyle’s first career[ playoff game. I think we saw some nerves out there. He hit the side of the board on an open corner three. He was short-arming some ATO shots set up for him. Aggression finally started to come around in the fourth quarter. He had some attacks at the rim and the Lakers were rolling. Then Vogel sat him. I think that took the wind out of our sails and the boat stalled out. I’m hopeful he’s got his playoff legs now under him and ready to go. We need him throwing some haymakers against the Blazers. We ran him a lot at the SG in some bigger lineups. Occasionally, they’d try to search for him and see what they could create, but it was a reasonable defensive effort. He had a stop to end the third quarter, going vertical like Dudley has wanted him to. I need a 20+ point game with him knocking down some threes. The Stats: He scored 14 on 5-14 shooting (1-5 from three, 3-4 from the line) to go with 8 boards, 1 block and 2 fouls in 30 minutes. He was a +5.

Caruso -- -- Out of a timeout in the first quarter, he hammered down a monster dunk. It was one of those plays where not having that home crowd to roar and buzz for the next minute was noticeably missing. He led the team with a +10 in the first half. He’d finish with a +12. The tarnish on his game was his inability to hit threes (and a little bit of a panicked three with under a minute left, thinking there was less time on the clock and clanking). Defensively, though, I will take it. He pounced on loose balls or help digs when someone came to close to him. He stayed glued to the Portland guards for the most part and we sent the help. That’s how we have to play it. I think he had one switch onto Melo and he drew a charge on him. We really need that three ball to drop, though. The Portland D can go under screens and take away the drive. We just had no space to work. The Stats: He scored 2 point son 1-6 shooting (0-3 from three) to go with 3 assists, 3 steals, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 29 minutes. He was a +12.

Howard -- -- Feisty effort out there. He had 4 offensive boards in the first half. The whistles were fast for him tonight as he had 5 fouls and there was a lot of barking at the refs. He also missed some finishes he should have had. It’s unusual for him to go 2-5...usually it’s like a 4-5 because he would be just finishing things. Notice we had no lobs at all in this game. The bigs could stay at home and the perimeter players could pack the paint against us. Defensively, Dwight was showing out high and helping trap. We can’t sit in drop coverage against Portland. That made his minutes generally strong. I think we missed that Waiters offensive creation working off Dwight screens during some of those stretches, but we worked it out. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 2-5 shooting to go with 5 boards (4 offensive), 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 5 fouls in 15 minutes. He was a +7.

Waiters -- -- Seeing LeBron and AC get to the rim in the first quarter, probably had him ready to go at it when he got his minutes. But we didn’t rotate him in with the second unit. He sat and watched. He had some filler minutes with 1:13 left to go in the half, coming in for KCP. Clearly, the defensive concerns against the Blazers guards were the an issue. But man, we needed some shooting and dribble penetration badly. There was a stretch when LeBron sat where we just dumped the ball into AD in the post and nothing came out of it. Look at those minutes. LeBron was a -3 in 41 minutes. AD was a -20 in 39 minutes. We got some serious issues when It’s just AD out there. Maybe look to see if Waiters is thrown in the mix during those stretches. The Stats: He didn’t score in 1 minute. He was a -1.

Morris -- -- Things went well when he was out there. He knocked down a three. He scored an And-1 on a drive, muscling in a layup over a big. We had the Howard/Morris/LeBron trio in the mix quite a bit. The Stats: He scored 5 points on 2-2 shooting (1-1 from three, 0-1 from the line) to go with 3 boards and 4 fouls in 19 minutes. He was a +12.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: Up 6 with 8 minutes left, Kuzma had just forced a timeout with a score. The Lakers were rolling. He sat Kuzma for Green and sucked the wind from the Lakers sails. Three minutes later we were down 2 when Kuzma returned. We did Portland a favor and they took it and ran with it.

Key Substitution: See above. You could also look at KCP in for Caruso late, as well, but that brief stretch didn’t hurt as much as the Kuzma for Green move. Vogel really tightened his rotation in this game.

Key Stat: Lakers 5-32 from three, Portland 13-34. That should have killed the Lakers but they did win the offensive glass 17-5, giving them more possessions. We also had just 9 turnovers to the Blazers 16. We ended up shooting 97 shots to Portland’s 79! All those extra possessions kept the Lakers close. Just hit a league average 40% of your wide open threes you take this one. Just hit four or five more threes regardless of the coverage.

Coach’s Challenge: Portland: Kuzma was leaking out in transition and was challenged at the rim by Melo. This was early in the second quarter. The challenge denied and Kuz shot his freethrows. That’s one you just let go. Los Angeles: With 10 minutes to go, LeBron stepped in to take a charge on Whiteside. It was called a block and an And-1. Vogel challenged and won, saving potentially 3 points and getting Whiteside’s fourth foul.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject:

so yeah...

Thanks DB
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, DB. Just gotta say, that although I'm thankful to have any basketball at all (especially with the real life impact of COVID), we really drew the short end of the stick here and it absolutely sucks.

They worked so hard to get the #1 seed, gradually developed some organic, beautiful chemistry and a high level of comfort with the coaches' gameplan on both ends of the floor over the course of the season, and the team was peaking in those two March wins against the Bucks and Clippers with Staples full of energy. All the pieces were clicking and fans were hyped to see this team in a playoff setting after 7 years, packed arenas, ready to make a run towards #17.

Then it all gets taken away, which was bad enough, but apparently the bubble had an even crueler fate in store for us. I don't know how this series is gonna end (which is a scary thought), but we've basically seen the nightmare scenario play out so far after the win against the Clippers on July 30. What a potential cherry on top of an already (bleep) 2020.
BruceLeroy1985
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject:

I am going to laugh if Lebron and company get bounced instantly.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject:

I just think we match up against the Blazers worse than any other team in the league. They have the size inside to take away much of our offensive game. They also have elite guards that can shoot lights out and attack the rim, two of our biggest weaknesses.

We may still beat them, but they are the last team I wanted us to play. I think we’d do better against the Clippers or the Bucks, even though they both have a lot more talent, because we match up better.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:24 am    Post subject:

This veteran team was caught "Asleep At the Wheel" - except for Lebron and Caruso (and maybe Dwight)

Hopefully this will awaken the Lakers!

;
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject:

Less KCP more Waiters or Cook
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject:

I was too sick to watch this one. It sounds like a blessing in disguise.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject:

BruceLeroy1985 wrote:
I am going to laugh if Lebron and company get bounced instantly.

Then you can go (bleep) yourself.

Thanks for the recap, DB. Tough loss, but not the end of the world.

It's up to Vogel to make adjustments. Sincerely, (bleep) what AD thinks. He's gotta play the 5, run the pick and roll and take the ball to the rim.

McGee must get out of the starting lineup. Kuzma should start and Cook and Waiters should play more.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. I didn't want Portland. Dame Dolla ain't no joke, we all know that, but he wasn't my biggest concern.

CJ McCollum is so underrated, Mello ain't mello no mo, Hassan Whiteside leads the league in blocks and his down the stretch defense at the rim evidenced why.

I'ma be honest, this team scares da hell outa me. I'll be chewing more Prozac during this playoff run than I will be on Tues Nov 3rd.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Thanks, DB. Just gotta say, that although I'm thankful to have any basketball at all (especially with the real life impact of COVID), we really drew the short end of the stick here and it absolutely sucks.

They worked so hard to get the #1 seed, gradually developed some organic, beautiful chemistry and a high level of comfort with the coaches' gameplan on both ends of the floor over the course of the season, and the team was peaking in those two March wins against the Bucks and Clippers with Staples full of energy. All the pieces were clicking and fans were hyped to see this team in a playoff setting after 7 years, packed arenas, ready to make a run towards #17.

Then it all gets taken away, which was bad enough, but apparently the bubble had an even crueler fate in store for us. I don't know how this series is gonna end (which is a scary thought), but we've basically seen the nightmare scenario play out so far after the win against the Clippers on July 30. What a potential cherry on top of an already (bleep) 2020.

I did not get to see the game but this is well written.

I will say this. I perused the stats and the same achilles heel showed up - inconsistent from 3. Its amazing the game was this close in the playoffs when a team goes 5-32 from 3. That is not poor shooting, that is awful.

My other observation is I still believe we soreley miss what AB brought to the table on both ends. Just before this covid mess he was a benefit on both ends. Versus a team with guards like this he woulda helped.

I cant say much more until I see replay but from cold hard numbers had they shot 25% (still poor shooting) from 3 instead of 15%....a difference of 3 shots...its a W. I just dont understand how and why - throughout this season - when this team struggled from 3, they really struggle.

Keep the faith tho, hopefully they just execute better.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject:

Great analysis as always DB!

One comment I disagree with though is this:
Quote:
But the lack of perimeter shooting in this game has a compounding effect. The paint gets packed. That limits LeBron’s scoring. It pushes AD out to the perimeter. And it allows the Portland bigs to protect the rim.

While it is true our perimeter shooting is absolutely ABYSMAL, that doesn't mean we can't still dominate inside against this opponent.

Sure, it makes it tougher if the defenders slack off of our so-called "shooters", but overall Lebron and AD were still highly productive when they focused on scoring in the paint. This was especially true when Whiteside was on the bench.

As weird as it sounds, those two players in particular need to simply stop taking 20+ footer jump shots as it generates worse results for us then attacking the basket while it is heavily guarded.

The reason why is because even if there are defenders there, most of the time (except for Whiteside) they are undersized and/or unskilled at stopping us consistently without fouling. How many times did we get 3-4 rebounds in one trip?

So I say, either attack the paint or pass it out. The bonus is that's where our strengths of rebounding and collecting fouls become a positive factor as well by going to work in down low.

Yes, we have to live (or die) with the shooting of the perimeter players to some extent, but the single most important focus needs to be to dominate inside on almost every single half-court scenario on offense. There were too many times when Bron and AD settled for perimeter shots, and it ultimately cost us.

PS... I miss Avery Bradley's defense.

Last edited by joeblow on Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers have a plus-13.2 net rating in 459 minutes with Bron and Brow on the court without Dwight or JaVale.

https://twitter.com/nekiasnba/status/1296124653212229632?s=21

The key to this series. Hope Vogel doesn’t realize it too late.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
Lakers have a plus-13.2 net rating in 459 minutes with Bron and Brow on the court without Dwight or JaVale.

https://twitter.com/nekiasnba/status/1296124653212229632?s=21

The key to this series. Hope Vogel doesn’t realize it too late.

He hasn't realized it all season, so I'm not terribly hopeful about that being our path to victory. Most likely we will resort to the "role players making open shots or bust" strategy. MAYBE some more Waiters/Kieff, and less DG/KCP. Otherwise, playing big/physical and beating up teams is the identity Vogel has helped establish for this team all season, for better or worse, and I don't see him veering from that now.

Most NBA coaches seem to be notoriously stubborn and stick to what they know, even when the solution seems obvious. I really hope Vogel proves us wrong, but the way his Indy tenure ended doesn't inspire much trust.
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject:

You couldn't win games 20 years ago shooting that badly, definitely cant do it now.

The weird thing is that Vogel played a deep bench in the regular season to try to find a hot shooter off the bench most nights, really weird he didn't try that when we so desperately needed someone to provide even a below average performance
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject:

He's going with a shorter rotation in the playoffs, which is common. But I don't think we can afford to go that route with how many unreliable schmucks we have after Lebron and AD. He really needs to approach this, and the team as a whole needs to be understanding given their deficiencies, as going with the hot hand(s) on any given night.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! We're going to have to ride Bron and AD hard and see if they can deliver. Would be nice for one of the others to find their hot hand.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -vs- BLAZERS - 8/18 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: Up 6 with 8 minutes left, Kuzma had just forced a timeout with a score. The Lakers were rolling. He sat Kuzma for Green and sucked the wind from the Lakers sails. Three minutes later we were down 2 when Kuzma returned. We did Portland a favor and they took it and ran with it.

Yep. Game. That substitution killed the momentum. Let's hope that isn't a metaphor for this split-season.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -vs- BLAZERS - 8/18 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

angrypuppy wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Yep. Game. That substitution killed the momentum. Let's hope that isn't a metaphor for this split-season.

This is why I think Vogel is gone. Lakers FO is going to blame someone for that loss. I think it was Vogels fault. Kuz is a rhythm player. He had his stroke going. When Vogel sat him he sat his stroke.

I've said many times, if the Lakers join the 5 #1 seeds sent home in the 1st round by the #8 seed Vogel is history. In fact if they don't get to the finals he's history. It's finals, ship or bust.

I have a sinking feeling about this playoff. Our window is closing.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject:

I think Vogel will likely be fine. It may depend on AD/LeBron. But this is an usual circumstance and I think the Lakers org is happy with the season pre-Covid and that the coaches will have a pass regardless.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject:

It was my impression Vogel was a interim and Kidd was to be the long term coach. Did I get that wrong?

TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
I think Vogel will likely be fine. It may depend on AD/LeBron. But this is an usual circumstance and I think the Lakers org is happy with the season pre-Covid and that the coaches will have a pass regardless.

Yeah, shooting and lack of a non-Lebron playmaker will be viewed as the culprit and they'll look to revamp our supporting cast as best as possible given the limitations we have. Hopefully Kidd gets a head coaching gig elsewhere and they force Vogel to add a creative offensive mind to the staff.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Something is AMISS here -- didnt AD and NOrleans torch Portand just a couple of years ago in the playoffs 4-0?
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -vs- BLAZERS - 8/18 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

angrypuppy wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

I hate to be a Monday morning QB, but that was a kick in the balls. I honestly questioned why he would take Kuz out at that time.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject:

Can anyone one give me a reason why we didn't see Dion or JR? We know both can get hot and light it up.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: