Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject:

1. Universal healthcare
2. More strict gun control laws
3. Immigration reform.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Fund the PO or move it from a quasi-federal agency to a federal agency.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject:

If I were president? I'd ask Barack if I could borrow Michelle for four years. (Not in THAT way.) While I was at it, I'd ask Michelle if she'd bring along ol' whatshisname.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Sell the PO to a private company but keep veteran favoritism. I do very little business by mail, including taxes, driver’s license, etc. The necessity of the PO has passed.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Sell the PO to a private company but keep veteran favoritism. I do very little business by mail, including taxes, driver’s license, etc. The necessity of the PO has passed.

Not even remotely. It provides and important and affordable service to millions who rely on it for medications and other needs. As soon as it privatizes, that affordability disappears. Not to mention, privatizing the USPS instantly removes service for people in remote areas because the cost effectiveness of delivering to them is prohibitive.

Too many people the error of thinking the USPS is something that is supposed to be a profitable "business". It's not. It's a required government service. Nobody talks about how the Air Force is losing money because that would be stupid. Same thing for the USPS.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

That's being selfish VLF. Think outside YOUR box.

You do realize if sold to a private company they would be looking to make a profit. All things would increase. Not a good idea to go private.The post office as is, is a non profit
Quote:
According to the laws under which it now operates, the U.S. Postal Service is a semi-independent federal agency, mandated to be revenue-neutral. That is, it is supposed to break even, not make a profit. In 1982, U.S. postage stamps became "postal products," rather than a form of taxation.Apr 4, 2019

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Not even remotely. It provides and important and affordable service to millions who rely on it for medications and other needs. As soon as it privatizes, that affordability disappears. Not to mention, privatizing the USPS instantly removes service for people in remote areas because the cost effectiveness of delivering to them is prohibitive.

Too many people the error of thinking the USPS is something that is supposed to be a profitable "business". It's not. It's a required government service. Nobody talks about how the Air Force is losing money because that would be stupid. Same thing for the USPS.

Good points.

We can already somewhat see how privatization works. Trump puts in someone who thinks cutting corners is the answer. With services--say, how about health care or the fire department--cutting corners might work for select few, but there will be those left behind--or worse yet, disenfranchised when the cuts are in populated areas, such as mail box or mail sorter removals, as has occurred, as I understand, in populated areas.

Services are best left for government, generally speaking.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Good points.

We can already somewhat see how privatization works. Trump puts in someone who thinks cutting corners is the answer. With services--say, how about health care or the fire department--cutting corners might work for select few, but there will be those left behind--or worse yet, disenfranchised when the cuts are in populated areas, such as mail box or mail sorter removals, as has occurred, as I understand, in populated areas.

Yet government is the worst enemy of the USPS. How many agencies are required to fund 75 years of retirement costs? If Congress themselves were required to do the same then the country would be broke. That is where Jed’s OP makes sense, make them a complete government agency or cut them loose.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Good points.

Yet government is the worst enemy of the USPS. How many agencies are required to fund 75 years of retirement costs? If Congress themselves were required to do the same then the country would be broke. That is where Jed’s OP makes sense, make them a complete government agency or cut them loose.

No. Government is not the worst enemy, Republicans are.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Good points.

Not cut them loose, make them a federal agency or fund them

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Good points.

Not cut them loose, make them a federal agency or fund them

The powers that be within the USPS are the ones that made some of the worse possible decisions for the USPS. When Amazon approached them YEARS ago to work out a deal, they balked. When they had a second opportunity, they basically grabbed their ankles. Amazon pays USPS somewhere around a buck per delivery. That's any package up to the 70 pound limit. Think about how stupid you have to be to take that deal. It makes my jaw hurt gnashing my teeth with how just utterly incompetent these bureaucrats are. Just the worse. But hey, at least they get their pensions!!!. Yay! The only choice we have really is to keep the ship afloat but I have zero faith that they won't manage to screw it up even with more funding.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Good points.

The thing I don't get is this....I am not a political person but I am smart, college educated and in my early 50's. I always thought of the president as smart, educated, informed, moral, a good writer and orator. All of that got thrown out the window with Trump. Regardless if you are a staunch Republican or not, how could you support this corrupt, racist, sexist, President? He has no class and spends his time bashing everyone. Yet, he gets a free pass by the GOP and by his supporters. When is that ok?

I don't recall Obama, Clinton, Bush's, Carter, Reagan, even Nixon, ever stooping to that level. Yet, with Trump, he gets a free pass by the GOP and his supporters.

I see people that defend him all the time...the Fox News and the redneck americans and I don't get it. After Michelle's speech last night, he just bashed her, bashed her husband. I don't get how he does this continually.

I just hope for the sake of this country, this madman goes away. Also, for any staunch Trump supporters, why do you support this man? Is it because you are afraid to step out of the GOP support? If so, that is weak, weak, weak. This man is a lunatic.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
ribeye wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Good points.

The thing I don't get is this....I am not a political person but I am smart, college educated and in my early 50's. I always thought of the president as smart, educated, informed, moral, a good writer and orator. All of that got thrown out the window with Trump. Regardless if you are a staunch Republican or not, how could you support this corrupt, racist, sexist, President? He has no class and spends his time bashing everyone. Yet, he gets a free pass by the GOP and by his supporters. When is that ok?

I don't recall Obama, Clinton, Bush's, Carter, Reagan, even Nixon, ever stooping to that level. Yet, with Trump, he gets a free pass by the GOP and his supporters.

I see people that defend him all the time...the Fox News and the redneck americans and I don't get it. After Michelle's speech last night, he just bashed her, bashed her husband. I don't get how he does this continually.

I just hope for the sake of this country, this madman goes away. Also, for any staunch Trump supporters, why do you support this man? Is it because you are afraid to step out of the GOP support? If so, that is weak, weak, weak. This man is a lunatic.

That's his shtick.

They are, as he, racists. LINK

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Larry Coon saw the title to this thread and said: IF?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject:

yubby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dum

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject:

Wouldn't be possible as President, but if I was dictator for 4 years:

My priorities would be:
1) Ranked Choice voting
2) Universal medicare
3) Cap pharma prices at the median price outside of the US
4) Infrastructure rebuild
5) Nationalize Post Office
6) Nationalize Amtrak
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: