Getting them delivered
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 17

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: How have you been getting groceries?

What are the chances of getting COVID in a grocery store while wearing a mask?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject:

Mixed. Delivery + a store run about once a month to fill gaps.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject:

Mans gotta eat...
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject:

I go to the store between 1:00ish and 3:00ish, typically on Friday, when Safeway has its $5 Friday Specials. I don't know if this regular or off peak.

I don't believe it is believed by the medical and scientific communities that one can easily get Covid if the market and the individual both honor social distancing and masks.

Now the flat-earther, conspiracy theorist, masks are dangerous and I ain't a gonna wear one, no way no how, tinfoil hat, nut jobs, seem to think that that-there coronavirus ain't no big thing, as it is just to make their new God look bad, so then, you can do what you want and be safe. But believe them at your own peril.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject:

In the early months of the pandemic, I had everything delivered.

But now I just go to the store, put on a mask, and avoid people.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

That’s basically what I do when I go to the grocery Wilt, I stay away from people while I do my shopping.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Wilt wrote:

That’s basically what I do when I go to the grocery Wilt, I stay away from people while I do my shopping.

People refused to social distance at Costco when I went this past weekend...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

I think there has been a gradual easing of Covid-induced apprehension. After the first deaths in my area, people quickly adapted to mask-wearing and warily maintaining social distance. I've noticed that the distancing has eased in the past month, perhaps a sign of fatigue or a belief that mask-wearing alone is sufficient.

I grocery shop in the evening, but then I've always shopped in the evening. The other day some idiot redneck entered the supermarket with his daughter. They adhered to the supermarket policy that masks were mandatory, but their masks only covered their mouths. He was letting everyone know that he was exercising the unwritten Constitutional amendment, "Freedom to be Stupid and Infect Others".
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject:

Delivery or curbside pickup. My rule it to try to limit any indoor time as much as possible. So we only go into places if it's something that can be done quickly. I tend to think, though, grocery stores because of all the space in there are likely among the safer indoor activities...that and Sturgis biker bars.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Wilt wrote:

People refused to social distance at Costco when I went this past weekend...

Of course CC, there is a lot a lot of stupid people just gotta make sure that you do your own part.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject:

I've been grocery shopping online with Instacart for quite awhile. I'm satisfied with quality of products received and same day delivery within 2 hours most times. If I have a problem I contact Instacart and they get right to solving the problem. Got some ribeye steaks from Ralph's on the way as I ink this.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Publix does curbside pickup so I do that. I initially was doing Instacart delivery but it’s significantly more expensive than curbside. In the Publix shopping app you can switch between delivery with Instacart or curbside and the cost difference BEFORE tip was like $35 on the same order. So I switched to curbside. Plus I like that curbside uses paper bags by default and packs everything really well. We also shop at Target and do drive up pickup for those orders.

I may go back to just going physically a few times a week because I’m really tired of planning meals a week at a time. Inevitably something happens some nights and something gets pushed out a few days then something goes bad. As someone who used to shop daily or every other day it’s been a big adjustment.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Delivery or curbside pickup. My rule it to try to limit any indoor time as much as possible. So we only go into places if it's something that can be done quickly. I tend to think, though, grocery stores because of all the space in there are likely among the safer indoor activities...that and Sturgis biker bars.

I tend to agree with your thinking. Since we both agree that grocery stores, especially large ones that are not crowded, tend to be among the safer indoor locations, and considering the likelihood of catching the virus, even in the confines of an airliner, is quite small:

Quote:
The study shows that passengers have 1 in 4,300 chance of catching the coronavirus on a full, two-hour flight. If the airline leaves the middle seat open, your chances of contracting the bug are nearly cut in half, to 1 in 7,700. And the chances of dying from COVID-19 contracted on a flight are between 1 in 400,000 and 1 in 600,000 depending on your age and other risk factors. That's according to Arnold Barnett, a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who has been trying to quantify the odds of catching COVID-19 while flying.

and considering delivery can be costly, and one does not always get what one orders (though this is getting better) when ordering groceries online, I really don't think one has to have fear when going to a grocery store when both the shopper and the store honor social distancing and masks.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject:

^
How are so many people getting it if the odds are so low even on a confined space like an airplane?

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
^
How are so many people getting it if the odds are so low even on a confined space like an airplane?

I didn't know they are. Either not so many people are getting it from an airliner or the study is flawed.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
^

I didn't know they are. Either not so many people are getting it from an airliner or the study is flawed.

There are 50 k new cases per day in the US. Where are they coming from if it’s not that easy to transmit?

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
ribeye wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
^

There are 50 k new cases per day in the US. Where are they coming from if it’s not that easy to transmit?

You realize that one can transmit and catch the coronavirus in other ways besides flying? It is not that easy to transmit, or certainly catch to be more precise, on a two hour flight--or so the study says.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

I'm a Instacart member. $9:00 a month. If you order at least $35:00 delivery is free. How many times have you gone shopping and spent less than $35:00?

If you're dissatisfied with your order call and complain. I ordered I forget what kind of meat and got something else. I called, they credited my account. I asked what to do with the meat, was told what ever. I ate it.

Another time I got some steaks. When I opened the pack the meat didn't look red fresh on the underside. Again I called and got a credit. Was told same thing. If you've ever gotten the kind of meat I'm talking about it's not bad or spoiled. I always do a smell test.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Wilt wrote:

In the beginning I avoided the stores because of all the hysteria and hoarding. Other than cleaning supplies the stocks and crowds have gotten back to normal. I just wear my mask and disinfect my hands when I get back to my car. I still order some grocery items online but I was doing that before the pandemic.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
^

The study assumes that everyone is wearing a mask and runs numbers based on the likelihood of being close enough to someone with Covid. So if you are confined to your own area on a plane along with other people confined in their areas, then the likelihood is much lower. If you are on an aisle or get up to go to the bathroom odds increase (they take this from another study that looked at the best place to sit on a plane to avoid picking up an illness). But you essentially have social distancing, only a few people near you and mask wearing by all participants in this activity.

Contrast that with someone not socially distancing, not wearing a mask and coming in contact with a lot of different people (like at bar, party, etc., for example).
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Off topic. What about take out and dining out? The wife won't let me buy take out and I haven't had take out and eaten out since late March. She thinks from the person handling the food, the container, the wrapper there is a chance I might get Covid...I know, It's kind of lame because she worries too much about it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
^

It’s counterintuitive, but because airlines recycle their air vertically (comes from above and exits near your feet), filter the hell out of it, and replace it with fresh air frequently, it’s actually safer than most places where the airflow is more horizontal, provided you aren’t on top of another passenger.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
Off topic. What about take out and dining out? The wife won't let me buy take out and I haven't had take out and eaten out since late March. She thinks from the person handling the food, the container, the wrapper there is a chance I might get Covid...I know, It's kind of lame because she worries too much about it.

It’s a respiratory disease, so you would have to touch an infected container and then touch your mouth, nose, or eyes with a sufficient amount of virus on it. You could always just take the food out of the container and then wash your hands.

I mean, an infected worker could be touching groceries too.

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
^

It’s counterintuitive, but because airlines recycle their air vertically (comes from above and exits near your feet), filter the hell out of it, and replace it with fresh air frequently, it’s actually safer than most places where the airflow is more horizontal, provided you aren’t on top of another passenger.

How about grocery stores?

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I'm a Instacart member. $9:00 a month. If you order at least $35:00 delivery is free. How many times have you gone shopping and spent less than $35:00?

I do instacart and I'm pubic/anus.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: