(Lack of) SHOOTING
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Lakers are 37-158 (23.4%) from 3 since the restart. That's the worst 3P% by any team in a 5-game span in NBA history (minimum 150 attempts).

Oh.

https://twitter.com/sportscheetah/status/1291619359144599553?s=21

Edit: This might sound worse than it is since teams have been averaging 30 3s a game for only the past 5 years. Still historically bad.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
How did we loose Bryant? Did we just let him walk in free agency?

We waived him to create cap space to go after Lebron and Leonard.

Washington picked him up, and he wasn't anything special for the first yearr for them. He blossomed in the second year.

Obviously, in hindsight it wasn't a good move. But if we had landed a second top free agent and/or he hadn't blossomed, it would have been a good move.

That's life. You make a decision and roll the dice.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Quote:
The Lakers are 37-158 (23.4%) from 3 since the restart. That's the worst 3P% by any team in a 5-game span in NBA history (minimum 150 attempts).

Oh.

https://twitter.com/sportscheetah/status/1291619359144599553?s=21

Edit: This might sound worse than it is since teams have been averaging 30 3s a game for only the past 5 years. Still historically bad.

Teams have averaged 30 threes a game only for the last two years.

Obviously, 23.4% is a bad percentage, but making it a minimum of 150 attempts over 5 games doesn't seem like a reasonable reflection of "NBA history" to me.

I wonder how many teams would be on this list if they have used a more reasonable cut-off.
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Our shots come off of 1 pass... other teams swing the ball so shooters are on on rhythm
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
scoobs wrote:
How did we loose Bryant? Did we just let him walk in free agency?

We waived him to create cap space to go after Lebron and Leonard.

Washington picked him up, and he wasn't anything special for the first yearr for them. He blossomed in the second year.

Obviously, in hindsight it wasn't a good move. But if we had landed a second top free agent and/or he hadn't blossomed, it would have been a good move.

That's life. You make a decision and roll the dice.

Another terrible magic decision
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject:

If we don't win the chip this season, its all because of the worst job the FO did. damn, there are so many players that are hitting 35% on 3 and 75% on FT. All they signed are a bunch of useless players. How can you be so bad at 3 Point shooting when LBJ and AD get double teamed mos of the time. Teams are shooting contended 3s better than our guys shooting ope 3s. we don't have not even 1 player where the opponents can't leave open even on the corner.

I don't think Vogel is a good offensive coach. I hardly see any plays being run.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
If we don't win the chip this season, its all because of the worst job the FO did. damn, there are so many players that are hitting 35% on 3 and 75% on FT. All they signed are a bunch of useless players. How can you be so bad at 3 Point shooting when LBJ and AD get double teamed mos of the time. Teams are shooting contended 3s better than our guys shooting ope 3s. we don't have not even 1 player where the opponents can't leave open even on the corner.

I don't think Vogel is a good offensive coach. I hardly see any plays being run.

FO could only sign players that were unsigned. The strategy they had was to wait and wait for a decision from Leonard. Same as the strategy to let players go for the sole purpose of being able to use the sales pitch of “we have a max contract available right now”.

But lets not crucify the FO now that it “ may” not be working. The decisions were widely endorsed by many fans. The decisions were endorsed by Klutch and James. So this is not just on the FO.

And there is still the playoffs to be played. The players start hitting shots and flip the switch for a championship run and the narrative will be how genius the FO and Klutch were in building the roster with the bargain players they did.

This has been the expected plan and path for a couple years now. A little too late to (bleep) about it now until we see the results.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

FO could only sign players that were unsigned. The strategy they had was to wait and wait for a decision from Leonard. Same as the strategy to let players go for the sole purpose of being able to use the sales pitch of “we have a max contract available right now”.

But lets not crucify the FO now that it “ may” not be working. The decisions were widely endorsed by many fans. The decisions were endorsed by Klutch and James. So this is not just on the FO.

And there is still the playoffs to be played. The players start hitting shots and flip the switch for a championship run and the narrative will be how genius the FO and Klutch were in building the roster with the bargain players they did.

This has been the expected plan and path for a couple years now. A little too late to (bleep) about it now until we see the results.

That's Laker ground. Anytime the team goes through a bad stretch, it's the apocalypse and people think it will never get better. Anytime the team goes through a good stretch, people start predicting everyone on the roster will be a Hall of Famer someday.

Been that way forever around here.

People bounce from pollyannish to Chicken Little
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject:

What did these players do for 5 months? Shooting is the easiest thing to work on. The FT shooting is horrible.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject:

I never endorsed the non shooting concept.

And this is with the Warriors and Nets completely hobbled.

The cold hard fact is that a top five shooting team has won the title for the last ten years. The list of players we divested for this team is full of better shooters. When Waiters came available, I looked at his college career and his pro career stats and at no point were his shooting numbers ever good. I kept hearing about how he can create his own shot and how he'd spark the offense but I kept thinking about Lance... except even less accomplished than him.

Obviously Waiters is capable of getting hot... but his odds of getting hot are statistically lower than the odds of your opponents players getting hot.

At some point it becomes a math problem, and our numbers don't add up.

In order to enjoy the games... I try to turn off reality for two hours and just believe we will win. And we still might take it all if LBJ and AD impose their will..

But next year I'd like us to pick up some players with whom I have some statistical belief and not simply rely on divine intervention to make shots.

40% three point shooters and 80% FT shooters.

That's what we need.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

The cold hard fact is that a top five shooting team has won the title for the last ten years. The list of players we divested for this team is full of better shooters. When Waiters came available, I looked at his college career and his pro career stats and at no point were his shooting numbers ever good. I kept hearing about how he can create his own shot and how he'd spark the offense but I kept thinking about Lance... except even less accomplished than him.

Obviously Waiters is capable of getting hot... but his odds of getting hot are statistically lower than the odds of your opponents players getting hot.

In order to enjoy the games... I try to turn off reality for two hours and just believe we will win. And we still might take it all if LBJ and AD impose their will..

But next year I'd like us to pick up some players with whom I have some statistical belief and not simply rely on divine intervention to make shots.

That's what we need.

A decent take.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
roger_federer wrote:

When i say FO, clutch is part of that.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject:

Quote:
This is a pretty wild stat per @cleantheglass.

The Lakers are 22nd (last in the bubble) in terms of their eFG% (46.9%)

But, if they were just to shoot league average within each of the locations on the floor, they would be 2nd best (54.9%).

https://twitter.com/alexmregla/status/1292511053079748609?s=21
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject:

I'm sure I'm missing something but that doesn't seem so wild to me. Isn't it just pointing out that we're shooting below league average yet our shot distribution isn't horrible?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
I'm sure I'm missing something but that doesn't seem so wild to me. Isn't it just pointing out that we're shooting below league average yet our shot distribution isn't horrible?

I think the point is the scheme is actually pretty decent, obviously because they have Lebron and AD.

If they can get average shooting, they would be very difficult to beat in a 7 game series.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

I think the point is the scheme is actually pretty decent, obviously because they have Lebron and AD.

If they can get average shooting, they would be very difficult to beat in a 7 game series.

Very true....just average shooting is all that's being asked of Green, KCP, AC and now Cook...I've seen enough of JR to not play him and Waiters is tricky cuz he can get to the rim...but the rest of his game looks below average to me...btw wouldn't hurt if Kuz could shoot consistently as well as Morris.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

That's what we need.

The trouble is guys like that aren't cheap unless they are so lacking in other areas that they get very little playing time (Troy Daniels and Quinn Cook fall into the 40%-80% group). Plus, shooters like that tend to go up down. Danny Green is a career 40-80 guy who is shooting 37-69 for us.

So just picking up 40-80% rotation players is easier said than done.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

That's what we need.
Kuzma, Green, THT, Bradley and McGee to Sacramento for Hield.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

That's what we need.

And now the Kings have to cut four players.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

That's what we need.

Terrible deal for us.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
This is a pretty wild stat per @cleantheglass.

The Lakers are 22nd (last in the bubble) in terms of their eFG% (46.9%)

But, if they were just to shoot league average within each of the locations on the floor, they would be 2nd best (54.9%).

https://twitter.com/alexmregla/status/1292511053079748609?s=21

I get this for all over the floor, but Lakers have shot below average from 3 all season, they're just shooting even more below average. So that's a sizeable if with no true knock-down guys.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
scoobs wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

That's what we need.

Terrible deal for us.
How so? The players that we are sending out are not exactly gold.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:37 am    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
danzag wrote:
scoobs wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

That's what we need.

Terrible deal for us.

At what point during the pandemic did Buddy Hield become AD where it would require us to trade half of our roster? you just like losing?

You want to trade almost half the team that helped enable us to grab the #1 seed in the West. I've read a lot of "Armchair GMs" proposed trades out there but this is one is just ridiculous.

-First you trade McGee our starting Center
-you trade Kuzma who is what, our 6th man? and he looks like he is finally turning things around both in his defense and shooting.
-Then you just want to give away our Vets. Vets that are battle tested, who we'll need as we get deeper into the playoffs.
-To seal the deal you just added THT as a throw away player.

All those players for Hield? I'm not even going to mention salaries matching.

Buddy Freakin Hield is now AD status. Only in LG.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject:

I think the Lakers will be over 40% from 3 throughout the playoffs.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject:

LakerLand247 wrote:
scoobs wrote:
danzag wrote:
scoobs wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

That's what we need.

Terrible deal for us.

At what point during the pandemic did Buddy Hield become AD where it would require us to trade half of our roster? you just like losing?

You want to trade almost half the team that helped enable us to grab the #1 seed in the West. I've read a lot of "Armchair GMs" proposed trades out there but this is one is just ridiculous.

-First you trade McGee our starting Center
-you trade Kuzma who is what, our 6th man? and he looks like he is finally turning things around both in his defense and shooting.
-Then you just want to give away our Vets. Vets that are battle tested, who we'll need as we get deeper into the playoffs.
-To seal the deal you just added THT as a throw away player.

All those players for Hield? I'm not even going to mention salaries matching.

Buddy Freakin Hield is now AD status. Only in LG.

i don't agree with trade. But Mcgee wont be a starter in most of playoff teams.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: