Damian Lillard Theory
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Zubolo wrote:
Ok... so the premise of my post is that Lillard's contract is going to balloon after next season. If not the Lakers, can you give me other scenarios of teams that will be willing to pay 45-50m for the following 4-5 years for a point guard approaching his mid 30's, can make the trade pieces work and remain a contender (next year his contract is around $30m but balloons afterwards)?

Lets rule out the Lakers. What other scenarios do you see that fits all 3 criteria I've outlined above?

Lillard turns 30 next week, He has a lot of mileage left on his tires. I wouldn't worry about taking on his 5-year contract at this point.

From Westbrook to Harden, there are lots of stars who have contracts that will pay out big salaries when they are in their mid-30s. That's hard to avoid.

Most point guards decline every year after their 30's. Some less than others, but still decline nonetheless. Westbrook was a freak athlete to begin with, and Harden is working on an oscar from the Academy for his "skills". Lillard doesn't have the size or speed of those guys. His decline will be steeper. That contract is going to be a franchise killer.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

Most point guards decline every year after their 30's.

I can think of plenty of point guards who were playing at an all-star level until age 33 or 34, so I am not sure your sweeping generalization has any value in a discussion.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Most point guards decline every year after their 30's.

I can think of plenty of point guards who were playing at an all-star level until age 33 or 34, so I am not sure your sweeping generalization has any value in a discussion.

strawman.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: