Damian Lillard Theory
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Damian Lillard Theory

I know it might be wishful thinking but there may be a potential path to landing Lillard. Note that next year he makes $31m. The years after, this is what he makes: $44m, $47m and $50m (it probably goes on). He also turns 30 in about a week from now (7/15).

He and CJ McCollum will make about 70% of the cap. For a team that will probably be on the playoff bubble for the foreseeable future, how feasible is this for Portland?

Other teams may be interested but what if according to rumors, Lillard is interested in playing with the Lakers (or Knicks ironically). As long as his agent doesn't make public statements and that it doesn't get as nasty as it did with AD and some other recent trade targets, I can see something potentially going down, maybe even this offseason.

Again very wishful thinking but cap-wise, it works with Kuzma, KCP, Danny Green, this year's pick and a future pick. Essentially Portland gets cap relief, picks and two solid players entering their primes in Kuzma and KCP. Anfernee Simons may be their next star point guard.

My point is though it may sound like a total pipe, it may not be that far fetched. He's a top 10 player but ask yourself who is willing to pay an average of $45-$50m a year for the next 4-5 years for a point guard playing into his mid 30's. Note that whichever team this is will also need help at the position. Perhaps Milwaukee? But then again they've shown they don't want to pay the tax. Toronto? But then will they be able to sign Giannis and keep most of their core? Dallas? But is a package of Tim Hardaway Junior, etc. better than what we might offer? Plus aren't they pursuing Giannis?

Curious to see what you all think his other options are but then again if his preference is to the Lakers and everything is done respectfully behind the scenes, is there a chance Portland honors it?

Hoping y'all will be inquisitive rather than dismissive in terms of this 'theory'.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject:

I like Dame and he is a killer. But I would be a little leery of his contract given his age. Not sure how you salary match without LBJ/AD.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I like Dame and he is a killer. But I would be a little leery of his contract given his age. Not sure how you salary match without LBJ/AD.

Next year he only makes $31m so we should be able to salary match with Danny Green ($16m), KCP ($8.5m) and Kuzma ($3.5m).
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject:

Damian lillard to lakers is fantasy of a fantasy dream.

29th pick, Kuzma, THT, Alex Caruso, future 1st + sal filler will not get it done
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:

29th pick, Kuzma, THT, Alex Caruso, future 1st + sal filler will not get it done

I dont think, besides AD and Bron, we have any package that Portland would want. They would want an upcoming star and picks we don't have neither one.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

I dont think, besides AD and Bron, we have any package that Portland would want. They would want an upcoming star and picks we don't have neither one.

yeah
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Damian Lillard Theory

Zubolo wrote:
I know it might be wishful thinking but there may be a potential path to landing Lillard. Note that next year he makes $31m. The years after, this is what he makes: $44m, $47m and $50m (it probably goes on). He also turns 30 in about a week from now (7/15).

He and CJ McCollum will make about 70% of the cap. For a team that will probably be on the playoff bubble for the foreseeable future, how feasible is this for Portland?

Other teams may be interested but what if according to rumors, Lillard is interested in playing with the Lakers (or Knicks ironically). As long as his agent doesn't make public statements and that it doesn't get as nasty as it did with AD and some other recent trade targets, I can see something potentially going down, maybe even this offseason.

Again very wishful thinking but cap-wise, it works with Kuzma, KCP, Danny Green, this year's pick and a future pick. Essentially Portland gets cap relief, picks and two solid players entering their primes in Kuzma and KCP. Anfernee Simons may be their next star point guard.

My point is though it may sound like a total pipe, it may not be that far fetched. He's a top 10 player but ask yourself who is willing to pay an average of $45-$50m a year for the next 4-5 years for a point guard playing into his mid 30's. Note that whichever team this is will also need help at the position. Perhaps Milwaukee? But then again they've shown they don't want to pay the tax. Toronto? But then will they be able to sign Giannis and keep most of their core? Dallas? But is a package of Tim Hardaway Junior, etc. better than what we might offer? Plus aren't they pursuing Giannis?

Curious to see what you all think his other options are but then again if his preference is to the Lakers and everything is done respectfully behind the scenes, is there a chance Portland honors it?

Hoping y'all will be inquisitive rather than dismissive in terms of this 'theory'.

Given that Lillard is locked up for 4-5 years, he doesn't have much leverage in dictating where he is traded to. I can't imagine why Portland would care what his preference is if they could get a better deal from someone else. They are on the hook to him for $220 million; that's "honor" enough.

Green and KCP probably wouldn't stick around long with them, so they are nothing more than expiring salaries. Kuz -- well, that depends what you think of him. Personally, I think they could get a better deal.

Last edited by activeverb on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject:

I wish it was true, but I can't see this getting done
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject:

What's the theory... that we can get a top 10 player for mediocre parts?
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Damian Lillard Theory

activeverb wrote:
Zubolo wrote:

Given that Lillard is locked up for 4-5 years, he doesn't have much leverage in dictating where he is traded to. I can't imagine why Portland would care what his preference is if they could get a better deal from someone else. They are on the hook to him for $220 million; that's "honor" enough.

Green and KCP probably wouldn't stick around long with them, so they are nothing more than expiring salaries. Kuz -- well, that depends what you think of him. Personally, I think they could get a better deal.

if the situation was ok, KCP and Green could have gone to other teams and get assets back.

but cap contraction, i dont see it
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Kuzma, KCP, Danny Green, this year's pick and a future pick.

It is difficult to imagine a scenario in which Portland does worse than this. 3 role players, one beyond his prime. No blue chippers. 2 bad picks.

It’s such a supremely awful package for an in-prime superstar I don’t think it merits much discussion.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject:

The Knicks could put together a much better offer. They have the projected 6th pick in the draft, along with young talent like Barrett, Nitikina, Robinson, Randle, etc.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject:

Lillard would be the perfect fit. But we might have a better chance of doing a smaller deal with Portland, like Kuzma for Simons and the 14th pick. Then turn around and try to combine #14 and other assets to try and get a 3rd star, like LaVine. We could also look into a deal with Detroit. Something like Kuzma, Caruso and THT for #5. Or Kuzma and THT for Kennard.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject:

We could try to get the highest pick possible for some of our young talent, like Kuzma. WE could turn around and combine the pick with our expiring deals like Danny Green, in exchange for a star type of player, like LaVine.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject:

The Lillard discussion merits no discussion, it’s such a fantasy that we have a better chance at getting Bradley Beal despite the fact that he is likely headed to Brooklyn.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
The Lillard discussion merits no discussion, it’s such a fantasy that we have a better chance at getting Bradley Beal despite the fact that he is likely headed to Brooklyn.

I think there are paths, simply because of that salary number. COVID-19 will literally "change the game" of the entertainment industry - including sports entertainment - and teams in the middle are going to want more flexibility. Gate receipts will be depressed for two years, so only huge market teams with big TV deals and other revenue will be interested in players with $200 million dollar deals.

Of course, the Knicks would be a player and - as history has shown - if there's a non-Laker team with a comparable offer to the Lakers, the player will get traded to that team.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:
Other teams may be interested but what if according to rumors, Lillard is interested in playing with the Lakers (or Knicks ironically).

When did Dame say he wanted to be a Laker (or a Knick)?
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I think there are paths, simply because of that salary number. COVID-19 will literally "change the game" of the entertainment industry - including sports entertainment - and teams in the middle are going to want more flexibility. Gate receipts will be depressed for two years, so only huge market teams with big TV deals and other revenue will be interested in players with $200 million dollar deals.

Of course, the Knicks would be a player and - as history has shown - if there's a non-Laker team with a comparable offer to the Lakers, the player will get traded to that team.

Our owners are some of the poorer owners in the league-- not sure they would want that contract. (See what they did with trading Odom for a late first rounder.)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

See what they did with trading Odom for a late first rounder.

he was butthurt and didnt wanted to be here.

lets get the facts straight
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Our owners are some of the poorer owners in the league-- not sure they would want that contract. (See what they did with trading Odom for a late first rounder.)

Let’s remember when we traded Odom, Mitch Kupchak was our GM and Jim Buss was our owner. right now the current ownership is hungry for titles and they would obviously do anything in there power to get a guy like Lillard but it’s unlikely because the Blazers will send him to the East as fast as a Rocket or heck even to the Clippers before they even thinking about trading there prime guy to the Lakers, this discussion is pointless.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Damian Lillard Theory

Jesusdelonla wrote:

if the situation was ok, KCP and Green could have gone to other teams and get assets back.

but cap contraction, i dont see it

I guess you're saying they could do a sign-and-trade with those guys. Maybe they could get a good deal; maybe not. In any case, I don't see them trading Lillard unless they get a good payoff from the get-go.

Personally, I think this speculation is nothing more than filling space.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

If they think it will put them over the top, they'll pull the trigger on a deal. They've never thrown money away - Dr. Buss was cheap - but they will spend money to get to the next level.

When Kareem retired, the Lakers spent big money signing Sam Perkins and then tried to trade for Hot Rod Williams' "poison pill" contract (Hot Rod was the highest paid player in the NBA that year) because they wanted to maximize Magic Johnson's peak years.

In fact, the only "bad" contracts I can ever recall them giving out were the MozDeng deals.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Agree and all we have heard is that Lillard wants to end his career in Portland. Consider the rumor, someone says that “if” Lillard wanted to be traded, someone who isn’t any kind of an insider. And naturally the “destination” is your typical rumor two largest markets. If Portland wants to trade him they will likely want an AD/Paul George kind of trade. Interesting enough, the Knicks might be able to do that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
We could try to get the highest pick possible for some of our young talent, like Kuzma. WE could turn around and combine the pick with our expiring deals like Danny Green, in exchange for a star type of player, like LaVine.

I doubt that Kuzma could get us anything in the first round
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

If they think it will put them over the top, they'll pull the trigger on a deal. They've never thrown money away - Dr. Buss was cheap - but they will spend money to get to the next level.

When Kareem retired, the Lakers spent big money signing Sam Perkins and then tried to trade for Hot Rod Williams' "poison pill" contract (Hot Rod was the highest paid player in the NBA that year) because they wanted to maximize Magic Johnson's peak years.

In fact, the only "bad" contracts I can ever recall them giving out were the MozDeng deals.

They could be paying $150 mil for Lillard, Lebron and AD. Plus the resulting luxury tax. Even if they could afford it, the team would struggle to be competitive. We would be better off keeping salary to put players around AD and Lebron.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: