Lakers almost acquired Penny Hardaway prior to 2000 season
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject:

This would be a great trade....if you wanted to undermine Kobe and his development.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject:

I remember that rumor as well as Rice for TMac when he was in Toronto and Rice for Kukoc with the Bulls or Rice for Pippen.

The Lakers eventually kept Rice for the championship year.

As we know Rice was dealt after the title to NY in the King Kong deal that netted us Horace Grant.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers almost acquired Penny Hardaway prior to 2000 season

Basketball Fan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
madsen35 wrote:
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1999-jul-21-sp-58169-story.html

I was only 10 when this happened, so I never heard about this. Penny wanted to come to LA and reunite with Shaq. The Lakers almost traded Rice for Penny. I wonder if the team still would have won the title. Not sure it would have worked with Penny and Kobe.

I thought he and Shaq didn’t get along.

They didn't and come to think of it still don't I notice that Shaq seems semi cool with Wade and eventually Kobe but Penny he never buried that hatchet.

Nah they definitely have. They did a 30 for 30 on those 90's Magic teams a while back, and they ended the doc with Shaq and Penny reminiscing together in Shaq's backyard. They seemed pretty cool to me.

I just think Penny's not in the spotlight as much as Kobe and Wade were, so people didn't see it.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
I remember that rumor as well as Rice for TMac when he was in Toronto and Rice for Kukoc with the Bulls or Rice for Pippen.

As we know Rice was dealt after the title to NY in the King Kong deal that netted us Horace Grant.

LMAO Kobe/T Mac/Shaq would have been insanely unfair.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
King Randle wrote:

LMAO Kobe/T Mac/Shaq would have been insanely unfair.

There’s a timeline out there where McGrady is part of the most dominant dynasty ever instead of failing to get out of the first round every year.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
j-dawg wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
j-dawg wrote:
I think it’s fair to say that Webber was a major disappointment for many years until he became a Queen. Some would argue that with his physical talent, he could’ve been even better than he was in his prime. Even when you look at his prime years (beyond the numbers that he put up) he didn’t quite have the low post game that some of his perennial All Star peers did.

Webber had some injury issues, as well, but his game was multifaceted. He was a great playmaker, shot well from the perimeter, defended his position, etc., and would've fit great next to a post-player at C. His issue in GS was that Don Nelson wanted him as a low post C and CWebb didn't want to bang down low.

Agreed. Although he abused the likes of Horry/Samaki, he didn’t have a go-to move when the game was on the line. His jump hook (only post move) was fairly effective, but you knew it was coming when he backed you down. When people think of multifaceted PF’s, they often think of KG or Gasol. In that sense, I think Webber is actually underrated because of a lack of mention.

Off topic, but imagine if Washington had kept Webber, Rasheed, and Juwan Howard. Would’ve been a nightmare to coach/control, but imagine a team in, say 2001, with Rasheed in the low post and Webber in the high post.

'Sheed was doggone near unstoppable in the 99-00 playoffs. He'd get the ball on the left block, hit that turnaround J off the glass and we literally could not stop him. Thank goodness he got tossed for staring at Ron Garretson in Game 1 of the WCF or we might very well have lost that series.

Was Rasheed a better player than Webber then? What about when he was on the Pistons?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
j-dawg wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
j-dawg wrote:
I think it’s fair to say that Webber was a major disappointment for many years until he became a Queen. Some would argue that with his physical talent, he could’ve been even better than he was in his prime. Even when you look at his prime years (beyond the numbers that he put up) he didn’t quite have the low post game that some of his perennial All Star peers did.

Webber had some injury issues, as well, but his game was multifaceted. He was a great playmaker, shot well from the perimeter, defended his position, etc., and would've fit great next to a post-player at C. His issue in GS was that Don Nelson wanted him as a low post C and CWebb didn't want to bang down low.

Agreed. Although he abused the likes of Horry/Samaki, he didn’t have a go-to move when the game was on the line. His jump hook (only post move) was fairly effective, but you knew it was coming when he backed you down. When people think of multifaceted PF’s, they often think of KG or Gasol. In that sense, I think Webber is actually underrated because of a lack of mention.

Off topic, but imagine if Washington had kept Webber, Rasheed, and Juwan Howard. Would’ve been a nightmare to coach/control, but imagine a team in, say 2001, with Rasheed in the low post and Webber in the high post.

'Sheed was doggone near unstoppable in the 99-00 playoffs. He'd get the ball on the left block, hit that turnaround J off the glass and we literally could not stop him. Thank goodness he got tossed for staring at Ron Garretson in Game 1 of the WCF or we might very well have lost that series.

Was Rasheed a better player than Webber then? What about when he was on the Pistons?

All around? No. As a post-up scorer? Yes. As a weak side defender? Yes.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject:

^Imagine if Rasheed has had an off the dribble game like a Garnett/Webber. Even though he didn’t have huge hands like Webber, he would’ve possibly been a shoe-in HOF because it would’ve enabled him to put up more numbers, even on some of those stacked teams that he played on where he was the go-to guy down the stretch.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
What about when he was on the Pistons?

IMO, after '99-'00, 'Sheed fell in love with the 3-ball and stayed on the perimeter too much. 'Sheed on the Pistons fit their defensive scheme perfectly.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

I remember really wanting Pippen. He did a lot of things better and would have been a better fit than Rice IMO. Imagine a big 3 of Shaq, Kobe and Pippen (yes an older Pippen but still a very good player and Rice wasn’t in his prime either).

I really wanted Charles Oakley that off-season too but part of it was probably because I badly wanted the team to upgrade that position. But Toronto offered him a lot more.

Crazy looking back on it that the team tried replacing Rice with Isaiah Rider.
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject:

There was another rumored trade in 2000:
Rice for Tyrone Hill and Larry Hughes of the 76ers.
Saw this one in an old Sporting News magazine I was looking through.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject:

I remember Phil expressed a lot of admiration for Penny's game back in the mid 90's when the Bulls and Magic were the beasts of the East. If I remember right he said Penny was the only player in the league he would trade Pippen for. Likely that was partly mind games to motivate Scottie, but still I bet Phil would've loved having that Penny/Kobe backcourt.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Surprised nobody mentioned Tom Gugliotta. Shaq added Minnesota to the list of teams he would punish (whatever that means lol) after they didn’t trade him to LA.

Quote:
Nobody even talks about it anymore, but back before Glen Rice was the answer, before Dennis Rodman was the answer and before Kurt Rambis was the answer, Tom Gugliotta was supposed to be the answer to the Lakers’ problems.

Remember the preseason trade proposal with the Minnesota Timberwolves that was supposed to bring him here in exchange for Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell?

LINK
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Surprised nobody mentioned Tom Gugliotta. Shaq added Minnesota to the list of teams he would punish (whatever that means lol) after they didn’t trade him to LA.

Quote:
Nobody even talks about it anymore, but back before Glen Rice was the answer, before Dennis Rodman was the answer and before Kurt Rambis was the answer, Tom Gugliotta was supposed to be the answer to the Lakers’ problems.

Remember the preseason trade proposal with the Minnesota Timberwolves that was supposed to bring him here in exchange for Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell?

LINK

Do not get me started.

Cuban had Don Nelson call Minnesota and threaten them to not make the trade, then had other GMs call and pledge to help them as long as they didn't send Gugs to the Lakers.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: