Assembling a gaming PC: Where to start?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:45 pm    Post subject: Assembling a gaming PC: Where to start?

Any PC gamers on LG?

I’d like to invest on a gaming PC myself. Actually I’ve had this on the back burner for quite some time. Seeing as how I have some free time these days, as well as some money saved up, I figured I might just go for it. I would preferably like to build one from loose parts; most video tutorials I’ve seen on the subject do not look terribly intimidating. It all seems like a fun project to embark on.

I’m mostly into sports games, at least I was, back when I owned a console. NBA 2k, MLB the show and the like, with your occasional racing title for multiplayer fun. I’m really enticed by the ability to emulate old ps2 and gamecube titles, as well as some of the insane mods PC folks perform on NBA2k. Those are the main selling points right now. The main objective is to run these games on optimal quality and resolution, as smoothly as possible without glitching.

I think I have a pretty decent budget, which I don’t want to exceed. Basically all my concerns revolve around individual parts and components and choosing the best ones based on budget. I’ve done a bit of cursory research but I don’t feel confident starting to buy stuff just yet. Everything from parts sourcing, best brands, best websites to order from, what specs should I look for, what parts should I splurge on vs what parts are less essential, should I buy all from one brand vs mixing & matching, etc. The vast world of PC components can be daunting and confusing. Especially for someone who’s just getting into this. Any other pointer or advice you feel would be resourceful for a neophyte pc builder would also be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Assembling a gaming PC: Where to start?

panamaniac wrote:
Any PC gamers on LG?

I’d like to invest on a gaming PC myself. Actually I’ve had this on the back burner for quite some time. Seeing as how I have some free time these days, as well as some money saved up, I figured I might just go for it. I would preferably like to build one from loose parts; most video tutorials I’ve seen on the subject do not look terribly intimidating. It all seems like a fun project to embark on.

I’m mostly into sports games, at least I was, back when I owned a console. NBA 2k, MLB the show and the like, with your occasional racing title for multiplayer fun. I’m really enticed by the ability to emulate old ps2 and gamecube titles, as well as some of the insane mods PC folks perform on NBA2k. Those are the main selling points right now. The main objective is to run these games on optimal quality and resolution, as smoothly as possible without glitching.

I think I have a pretty decent budget, which I don’t want to exceed. Basically all my concerns revolve around individual parts and components and choosing the best ones based on budget. I’ve done a bit of cursory research but I don’t feel confident starting to buy stuff just yet. Everything from parts sourcing, best brands, best websites to order from, what specs should I look for, what parts should I splurge on vs what parts are less essential, should I buy all from one brand vs mixing & matching, etc. The vast world of PC components can be daunting and confusing. Especially for someone who’s just getting into this. Any other pointer or advice you feel would be resourceful for a neophyte pc builder would also be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Let's start with a budget. What are you willing to spend?

Second question is the monitor you have. 1080P is pretty easy to run, even with AAA titles. 4K obviously is significantly more intensive. 4k is also extremely overrated imo. As far as the gaming experience it doesn't add jack squat. If you're going to pony out the cash, get a 3440x1440p ultrawide. In all these instances, I'd shoot for 60fps on average at minimum.

Also, sports games are really, really low on the totem pole as far as how much hardware you need.

In any event, if you're into sports games. (and this is coming from a PC gamer), I think consoles is a better choice. If you're intent on a PC, putting one together yourself is a good learning experience and of course a PC does soooo much more..
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Assembling a gaming PC: Where to start?

jonnybravo wrote:
Let's start with a budget. What are you willing to spend?

Second question is the monitor you have. 1080P is pretty easy to run, even with AAA titles. 4K obviously is significantly more intensive. 4k is also extremely overrated imo. As far as the gaming experience it doesn't add jack squat. If you're going to pony out the cash, get a 3440x1440p ultrawide. In all these instances, I'd shoot for 60fps on average at minimum.

Also, sports games are really, really low on the totem pole as far as how much hardware you need.

In any event, if you're into sports games. (and this is coming from a PC gamer), I think consoles is a better choice. If you're intent on a PC, putting one together yourself is a good learning experience and of course a PC does soooo much more..

Budget is $1000-1500. I also need a monitor, keyboard and mouse. I’m pretty raw when it comes to PC; I’ve been a Mac user for like the past 15 years for my work. Shooting for PC since I like the freedom gamers enjoy. Consoles seem to be much more boxed in. I sold my Xbox one less than a year after acquiring it as I seriously fell out of love with it, and consoles in general.

Thanks for the pointer on sports games. I definitely don’t venture out of that range much, so if I can get a good machine at a solid price to run those games at their optimal presentation then I’m happy.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Do you have a monitor yet? A good, gaming grade one can eat a chunk out of it.

Are you patient? The Nvidia 3000 series is on the cusp of release. It should have already been announced but you know... Corona. It's allegedly powerful enough to use Ray Tracing. I have a 2000 series that is capable of ray tracing but this generation doesn't have the horsepower to effectively use it.

Processor wise, I'd 100% go AMD. The new generation AMD cpu's stomp Intel in every which way. The last AMD cpu I had was the original Athlon from 1999. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a new one if I'm building a new rig.

I'll compile a list when I get the chance. It's something I strangely enjoy doing lol.
mykolbeta
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Next gen consoles will run 2k21 and the like quite well, would probably cost you around $500-600.

If you get a nice gaming PC, remember to get a monitor that has a high refresh rate (like 144hz) in order to fully utilize the higher frame rate that a nice gaming PC video card can output.

Consoles are locked at 60 fps, with a gaming PC depending on the build, you could output up to 240 fps or so.

I'm not much of a gamer, I've only been playing Fortnite for the last 2? years I think. I started out on my crappy laptop barely got 20 fps. Then I bought a used Xbox one on eBay for cheap and the difference is amazing. Now I actually have fun playing. But I had been thinking about getting a gaming PC but since it's the only game I play, I can't justify spending so much money, not to mention needing a monitor with higher refresh rate. I'm hoping the next gen will feature an option to run certain games like Fortnite at a higher fps, maybe 120? then I could pair it with a 144hz monitor.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject:

LG's authority figure on this is jonnybravo and he is on the spot already.

$1500 is (bleep) plenty

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject:

https://pcpartpicker.com/

use this as a reference to what you're going to build first.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Are you patient? The Nvidia 3000 series is on the cusp of release. It should have already been announced but you know... Corona. It's allegedly powerful enough to use Ray Tracing. I have a 2000 series that is capable of ray tracing but this generation doesn't have the horsepower to effectively use it.

Processor wise, I'd 100% go AMD. The new generation AMD cpu's stomp Intel in every which way. The last AMD cpu I had was the original Athlon from 1999. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a new one if I'm building a new rig.

I'll compile a list when I get the chance. It's something I strangely enjoy doing lol.

Thanks brother, you’ve given me a good place to start looking. If you wanna recommend a good graphics card I’d appreciate that as well.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject:

The newest I5 has hyper-threading, so it can handle twice the threads of last year's I5s. So if you go Intel make sure you take that into account when you price compare.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
The newest I5 has hyper-threading, so it can handle twice the threads of last year's I5s. So if you go Intel make sure you take that into account when you price compare.

Is there a newer one than Comet lake? If not, I don't know, the reviews I see of the AMD 4000 series chips poos all over it.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:20 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Thanks brother, you’ve given me a good place to start looking. If you wanna recommend a good graphics card I’d appreciate that as well.

You know the more I think about it, I think you'd be paying more for your needs.

I'd probably go with a mobo/combo from Microcenter.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/5002597/-intel-core-i5-9600k,-asus-prime-z390-a,-cpu---motherboard-bundle#photogroup-2

For your primary drive:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LGF54XR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?tag=slickdeals09-20&ascsubtag=eb94f9c8afa811eaa6155eb20a345d120INT&smid=A2ELBRY1PH9SPX&psc=1

Put in this coupon code: 14WYM3OA

Memory:

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232883?Item=N82E16820232883&Tpk=N82E16820232883

PSU:

Any 600+ watt PSU (modular or semi-modular preferred) from a reputable brand like EVGA/Corsair/Seasonic etc.

Video Card:

Best deal you can find for a 2060 or 2060 super. Base 2060 will be around $300. If you don't need it immediately, it's hard for me to recommend buying one now. The 3000 series is supposedly a big, big leap. I'm using a 2070 super and it mows through Modern Warfare at 3440x1440p resolution but I can't use Ray Tracing which is the latest and greatest graphic feature.

That's pretty much the core pieces. You can pick a case you like based on looks, size, price etc. A cheap but very effective aftermarket cooler is the Hypercooler 212...it's a tried and true design. I've used it in various builds for family etc for 10+ years. I also have a secondary drive to store movies and music. I bought a 4tb portable external (the small externals that are 2.5" sized) for like $60 bucks and shucked the drive from the enclosure and put it in my pc. Lastly, the stock cooler is fine too but I like my systems to run nice and cool.

Toss in the OS and monitor and you should be good to go.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject:

https://i.gyazo.com/6c417343e7aec4a711d10f1150d40e1e.png

I took a little time to build something that's gonna be fairly powerful.

You could save a little money by shopping around but thats generally going to play most games at least at 144hz @ 1080p.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject:

One thing you're going to have to decide on is whether to go with intel or AMD. Intel generally has better single core performance meaning games will generally perform better under intel chips. AMD generally performs better at applications that can utilize their advantage in the amount of cores/threads.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

You know the more I think about it, I think you'd be paying more for your needs.

I'd probably go with a mobo/combo from Microcenter.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/5002597/-intel-core-i5-9600k,-asus-prime-z390-a,-cpu---motherboard-bundle#photogroup-2

For your primary drive:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LGF54XR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?tag=slickdeals09-20&ascsubtag=eb94f9c8afa811eaa6155eb20a345d120INT&smid=A2ELBRY1PH9SPX&psc=1

Put in this coupon code: 14WYM3OA

Memory:

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232883?Item=N82E16820232883&Tpk=N82E16820232883

PSU:

Any 600+ watt PSU (modular or semi-modular preferred) from a reputable brand like EVGA/Corsair/Seasonic etc.

Video Card:

Best deal you can find for a 2060 or 2060 super. Base 2060 will be around $300. If you don't need it immediately, it's hard for me to recommend buying one now. The 3000 series is supposedly a big, big leap. I'm using a 2070 super and it mows through Modern Warfare at 3440x1440p resolution but I can't use Ray Tracing which is the latest and greatest graphic feature.

That's pretty much the core pieces. You can pick a case you like based on looks, size, price etc. A cheap but very effective aftermarket cooler is the Hypercooler 212...it's a tried and true design. I've used it in various builds for family etc for 10+ years. I also have a secondary drive to store movies and music. I bought a 4tb portable external (the small externals that are 2.5" sized) for like $60 bucks and shucked the drive from the enclosure and put it in my pc. Lastly, the stock cooler is fine too but I like my systems to run nice and cool.

Toss in the OS and monitor and you should be good to go.

JB, you balled out man. Gonna start looking into these ASAP. Thanks
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

You could save a little money by shopping around but thats generally going to play most games at least at 144hz @ 1080p.

Love the specificity. Thanks for your input.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Nick made a good list. I wouldn't get that drive though. I'm running a Raid setup wwith 2 1tb 970 Pros in RAID on my gaming laptop and the speed bump isn't even noticeable at all. Pony up for the 1tb I linked. You'll find triple AAA games use up a lot of space. Modern Warfare uses up a whopping 200+ gigs. That's going to be nearly half your space there for just 1 title.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Nick made a good list. I wouldn't get that drive though. I'm running a Raid setup wwith 2 1tb 970 Pros in RAID on my gaming laptop and the speed bump isn't even noticeable at all. Pony up for the 1tb I linked. You'll find triple AAA games use up a lot of space. Modern Warfare uses up a whopping 200+ gigs. That's going to be nearly half your space there for just 1 title.

Oh yea. Personally i would get at least 1 tb myself but i was trying to keep his cost lower but yea. I forgot about the increase in the size of games.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject:

Just came across this.

Been playing Warzone and BR games since blackout daily 3-4 hours a day so I decided to finally get a PC instead of playing on my first gen ps4.

When I was 12-13 I was heavy into PC gaming. CS, America's Army, Soldier of Fortune etc I was into it all. I even saved money for 2 years and played on extremely low settings to finally build my own monster. I had a $2500 PC at age 12 or 13..and I had handpicked all the parts. I was very proud and I still have the boxes for all the parts in the basement..

Fast forward to now - I am 17 years older..have other priorities in life and gaming is already a semi issue because it's all I want to do after 8pm The GF supports it but at the same time there have been some fights over Warzone lmao.

Anyways tired of playing on that damn PS4 and since I am an impulse buyer I tried to go into my local bestbuy and buy a PC because I just felt like I was too lazy to go into the whole PC gaming world again and learn all the parts. Luckily my friends stopped me...

I didn't end up building my own but I at least got a CyberPower prebuild which my friends checked up on and said I was only overpaying by about $100. That's fine. Saves me the hassle of it all. Funny enough though the last few days I have been on youtube and google and I swear my PC knowledge is already so much better that I just wish I built the damn thing. Oh well. I'll probabbly be upgrading my PC along the way so it's all good.

Sorry for the long read - just funny I come across this thread as I'm waiting for UPS to deliver my PC today.

I'm in Canada..if you convert my PC ran me about $1600 USD.

I got the intel i7 (I wanted to go AMD just based on availability and my price range this was the best, sorry JB), and 2060 SUPER in mine. I do only have 16gbb of RAM so I need to upgrade that. Kind of crazy they don't tell you what bradn motherboard or memory you have in your pre build. These are all things I learned AFTER i ordered my prebuild LOL.

I already have a 24 inch Acer monitor at 75hz. Heard that's good enough and don't need to spend the money on 4k or 144hz. Let me know your thoughts JB.

Also luckily I shelled out a bunch of money on that Astro c40 controller earlier this year so I don't have to buy a controller either.
mykolbeta
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:13 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:

I already have a 24 inch Acer monitor at 75hz. Heard that's good enough and don't need to spend the money on 4k or 144hz. Let me know your thoughts JB.

Just going off your specs and video card, you can output competitive level FPS like 240 depending on the game/settings, but with your monitor, you'll only see the 75. I don't think 4k is necessary at all, but a 1080 [AT] 144hz would be worth it. Regardless, with your current monitor you will feel the improvement in using such a high end card due to less input lag. JB should have more info though.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Just came across this.

Been playing Warzone and BR games since blackout daily 3-4 hours a day so I decided to finally get a PC instead of playing on my first gen ps4.

When I was 12-13 I was heavy into PC gaming. CS, America's Army, Soldier of Fortune etc I was into it all. I even saved money for 2 years and played on extremely low settings to finally build my own monster. I had a $2500 PC at age 12 or 13..and I had handpicked all the parts. I was very proud and I still have the boxes for all the parts in the basement..

Fast forward to now - I am 17 years older..have other priorities in life and gaming is already a semi issue because it's all I want to do after 8pm The GF supports it but at the same time there have been some fights over Warzone lmao.

Anyways tired of playing on that damn PS4 and since I am an impulse buyer I tried to go into my local bestbuy and buy a PC because I just felt like I was too lazy to go into the whole PC gaming world again and learn all the parts. Luckily my friends stopped me...

I didn't end up building my own but I at least got a CyberPower prebuild which my friends checked up on and said I was only overpaying by about $100. That's fine. Saves me the hassle of it all. Funny enough though the last few days I have been on youtube and google and I swear my PC knowledge is already so much better that I just wish I built the damn thing. Oh well. I'll probabbly be upgrading my PC along the way so it's all good.

Sorry for the long read - just funny I come across this thread as I'm waiting for UPS to deliver my PC today.

I got the intel i7 (I wanted to go AMD just based on availability and my price range this was the best, sorry JB), and 2060 SUPER in mine. I do only have 16gbb of RAM so I need to upgrade that. Kind of crazy they don't tell you what bradn motherboard or memory you have in your pre build. These are all things I learned AFTER i ordered my prebuild LOL.

Also luckily I shelled out a bunch of money on that Astro c40 controller earlier this year so I don't have to buy a controller either.

That video system will pretty much stomp any title that comes out for the next few years. Stick with that monitor...any upgrade should be a 1440p ultrawide imo. Forget 4k...there's no difference in the gaming experience over 1080p. Ultra wide curved on a 34" is a world of difference. You have a really good system dude. Going up to something like a 2080ti really just opens up Ultra settings on the most AAA of AAA titles or if you're going up in resolution. Honestly, in "real world" gaming, you won't even notice unless you're going to just stop and stare but really who the heck does that...

You're set for years my dude.

How's Modern Warfare? I just installed it but haven't done multi player. Old JB is scurred lol.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Snipes wrote:
Just came across this.

That video system will pretty much stomp any title that comes out for the next few years. Stick with that monitor...any upgrade should be a 1440p ultrawide imo. Forget 4k...there's no difference in the gaming experience over 1080p. Ultra wide curved on a 34" is a world of difference. You have a really good system dude. Going up to something like a 2080ti really just opens up Ultra settings on the most AAA of AAA titles or if you're going up in resolution. Honestly, in "real world" gaming, you won't even notice unless you're going to just stop and stare but really who the heck does that...

How's Modern Warfare? I just installed it but haven't done multi player. Old JB is scurred lol.

Awesome thanks guys.

MW is good ..if you’re talking about multiplayer it’s your typical cod multiplayer in terms of the people playing it and skill gaps.

If you’re talking about Warzone? That’s a crazy scene. Luckily there’s skill based matchmaking and plenty of noobs to go around so don’t be afraid. Issue is there are way too many people playing this game for hours on end every day that normally wouldn’t thanks to Corona.

It’s never too late with Cod. The mechanics are always similar so you won’t have any issues JB.

The PC finally arrived and boy what a difference. I don’t know how I ever played on PS4 LOL.

Getting a steady 150fps. I have a lot of stuff turned off or on low just because I watched a bunch of videos on YouTube and they’re pretty unnecessary. To me the game stilll looks hella beautiful coming from that first gen PS4. Can’t wait to download valorant and play on keyboard and mouse again.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Snipes wrote:
Just came across this.

Awesome thanks guys.

MW is good ..if you’re talking about multiplayer it’s your typical cod multiplayer in terms of the people playing it and skill gaps.

If you’re talking about Warzone? That’s a crazy scene. Luckily there’s skill based matchmaking and plenty of noobs to go around so don’t be afraid. Issue is there are way too many people playing this game for hours on end every day that normally wouldn’t thanks to Corona.

It’s never too late with Cod. The mechanics are always similar so you won’t have any issues JB.

The PC finally arrived and boy what a difference. I don’t know how I ever played on PS4 LOL.

Getting a steady 150fps. I have a lot of stuff turned off or on low just because I watched a bunch of videos on YouTube and they’re pretty unnecessary. To me the game stilll looks hella beautiful coming from that first gen PS4. Can’t wait to download valorant and play on keyboard and mouse again.

Logged in after I posted last night. I was basically a target dummy lol.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: