I'll ask it. Where does this team rank all time in Lakers History?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: I'll ask it. Where does this team rank all time in Lakers History?

I know everyone is going to run to stats, but for those of us that watched Magic, Shaq, and Kobe, were does this team rank?

Could they beat the 2000-2002 Lakers, the 2008-2010 Lakers. It would be very close I can tell you that.

It's a shame that Covid had robbed fans of seeing this team in person. This is an all time great Laker team.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject:

I think I'll wait until this series finishes out, we rate a little higher if we sweep the Heat. But as of now, we are not as good as the Showtime Lakers with Kareem, Magic, Worthy, Scott and Rambis/Green. And I think the Kobe/Shaq Lakers were better, in that they won 3 rings, which our current group hasn't done yet. Where I think we are about even with is the Kobe/Pau/Odom Lakers, I say we will be slightly ahead of them if we sweep the Heat.
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject:

It is better than the 2008-2010 Lakers team and the Wilt/West championship team, but not as good as the Kobe/Shaq 3 peat squad or the OG showtime squad.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject:

With the circumstances surrounding this season I’m gonna say that it’s gonna be damn near impossible to compare this team to any other in the history of the league.

So yeah. I have no clue.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject:

At least give us a multiple choice
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I'll ask it. Where does this team rank all time in Lakers History?

LAII wrote:
I know everyone is going to run to stats, but for those of us that watched Magic, Shaq, and Kobe, were does this team rank?

Could they beat the 2000-2002 Lakers, the 2008-2010 Lakers. It would be very close I can tell you that.

It's a shame that Covid had robbed fans of seeing this team in person. This is an all time great Laker team.

This team has had a solid regular season, and a great playoff run.

Can't really rank them against teams that had success over multiple years, until they have success over multiple years.

(i don't believe in the time capsule game of how different teams from different eras would do against each other)
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject:

This team is better focused and play better ball than the 2008-2010 Lakers. I wont say more talented because Bynum's true potential was off the charts.

I would say overall the Shaq-Kobe Lakers were slightly better than this squad.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject:

I feel like it’s in-between the 08-09 and 09-10 Laker championship teams. 08-09 had better depth— clear third option in Odom and better role players (Ariza, Fisher, etc.). The main advantage this team has is that AD is much better than Pau. I suppose Dwight and hobbled playoff Bynum more or less cancel out— perhaps slight edge to Dwight.

But it’s better than the 09-10 version.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Styles have changed. So, comparing amongst eras is difficult. I don't think this team is as good as the 00-02 Lakers, primarily because Shaq would eat any of our players alive.

I think this team is better than the 08-10 Lakers.
LAII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
With the circumstances surrounding this season I’m gonna say that it’s gonna be damn near impossible to compare this team to any other in the history of the league.

So yeah. I have no clue.

That's a real shame. Because this team is very very good. I wish we could have seen them in the playoffs at home and on the road.
LAII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I feel like it’s in-between the 08-09 and 09-10 Laker championship teams. 08-09 had better depth— clear third option in Odom and better role players (Ariza, Fisher, etc.). The main advantage this team has is that AD is much better than Pau. I suppose Dwight and hobbled playoff Bynum more or less cancel out— perhaps slight edge to Dwight.

We got to see those teams play more games.. AD vs Gasol would have been fantastic. Kobe vs LeBron was something that we were forever cheated out of.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Can we wait until they win two more games?
Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject:

LAII wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

We got to see those teams play more games.. AD vs Gasol would have been fantastic. Kobe vs LeBron was something that we were forever cheated out of.

I don't think AD and Gasol would be that exciting. I think AD is a far superior player to Gasol. Lebron vs. Kobe would be interesting.
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject:

This team would have no shot against the Shaq/Kobe Lakers. As phenomenal as AD is, prime Shaq would have broken him in half, and LeBron even though he can still turn it on defensively at this age, could in no way keep up with prodigy Kobe.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject:

I think it's low key one of the greatest teams of all time. LeBron and AD obviously a historic level duo, but the roleplayers have been great too. Rondo and Dwight aren't their young selves, but they can still play and they ditched their old weaknesses because Rondo can shoot now and Dwight is a total team player. Everyone who gets playing time is an above average defender, I think even Kuz. Defensively I think this is the most consistent Laker team I've ever seen. They have shooting, speed, size, they really have it all.

They mowed down 3 opponents who a lot of people thought would give them trouble. It's just kind of unfortunate they ended up with a dud Finals opponent, that will probably diminish their stature a bit, but I don't care, I'll take the win.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
I think it's low key one of the greatest teams of all time. LeBron and AD obviously a historic level duo, but the roleplayers have been great too. Rondo and Dwight aren't their young selves, but they can still play and they ditched their old weaknesses because Rondo can shoot now and Dwight is a total team player. Everyone who gets playing time is an above average defender, I think even Kuz. Defensively I think this is the most consistent Laker team I've ever seen. They have shooting, speed, size, they really have it all.

They mowed down 3 opponents who a lot of people thought would give them trouble. It's just kind of unfortunate they ended up with a dud Finals opponent, that will probably diminish their stature a bit, but I don't care, I'll take the win.

I still think the lack of a consistent third scoring option and lack of shooting make it weaker than a lot of championship teams in recent memory. I’m not sure it would even beat last year’s Raptors team.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:31 am    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:

So yeah. I have no clue.

That's how I feel. It's also one of the reasons it's hard to compare them to the 08-10 Lakers. Those teams had to go through peak Duncan, Nash, Amare, Yao, KG, Carmelo, Pierce, etc.

Too bad the Clippers pulled a historic choke job and deprived us of a Kawhi vs Lebron showdown.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:49 am    Post subject:

Honestly, not high.

This is the best team under some unusual circumstances, but it is silly to compare this team to some of the better Lakers Championship teams. Those teams had superior chemistry; not only did they have 82 regular season games to hone their craft, those teams had players and coaching staffs that had developed together for more than just the length of one season.

Last edited by angrypuppy on Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:00 am; edited 3 times in total
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:54 am    Post subject:

Defensively, it's hard for me to not think this is the best defensive team the Lakers have ever put together.

In terms of all-around? I think they have an argument over 2008-2010 but I don't see this team as dominant as the 2001 Lakers.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:20 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Can we wait until they win two more games?

Exactly how I feel. OP is really confident he can’t jinx this team. I understand the confidence, but you can’t wait for 2 more wins?
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject:

This team may be good in this small ball era. But I don’t think they’re better than both Kobe’s teams:

DH vs Bynum
AD vs Gasol
LBJ vs MWP
Green vs Kobe
KCP/Rando vs Fisher
Kuz vs Odom

Gasol could match peak DH, KD and TD.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject:

Sina wrote:
This team may be good in this small ball era. But I don’t think they’re better than both Kobe’s teams:

DH vs Bynum
AD vs Gasol
LBJ vs MWP
Green vs Kobe
KCP/Rando vs Fisher
Kuz vs Odom

Gasol could match peak DH, KD and TD.

Disagree, especially on Durant. AD is way too athletic for Gasol to defend.

lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject:

Davis would be a nightmare against those Gasol teams
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:47 am    Post subject:

I think our 2010 championship team was our weakest. I would put that team above this years team (not even favoring them because they beat the Celtics). I would give this years team the edge when comparing the big 2. I would give the 2010 the big advantage from that point on (Fish, Lamar, Meta, and Bynum) when not comparing position for position.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject:

No where until we win it all.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: