The Official J.R. Smith Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject:

One thing that I overlooked is JRs role. He looked pretty washed as a starter 3rd/4th option Type in Cleveland.

He won’t be that here. Hell most likely be a 6th/7th option on our roster. He definitely isn’t starter material anymore but Could he thrive against inferior bench units?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
One thing that I overlooked is JRs role. He looked pretty washed as a starter 3rd/4th option Type in Cleveland.

He won’t be that here. Hell most likely be a 6th/7th option on our roster. He definitely isn’t starter material anymore but Could he thrive against inferior bench units?

More likely a 10th/11th option.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:

More likely a 10th/11th option.

more like 14/15.

he is there only for emergency basis
PinoyLBJFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject:

https://fadeawayworld.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Screen-Shot-2020-07-01-at-6.33.50-PM.png
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:
i can be optimistic about him.

But losing AB after his last performance against the clippers is tough.

And the one thing we do know? Dion was "worth more" to the team than JR and that's why he was chosen over JR a couple months ago.

I love AB and not having him is gonna be missed and i look forward to having him next season but, lets not get carried away. That game against the Clippers was his best game of the year. Waiters an JR can combine to give you those numbers and on certain nights, give you those same numbers individually. Defense is where we will miss him the most. But, lets not act JR is a terrible defender, hes not.

When you combine the combo of Waiters and JR and the uptick in minutes for KCP and Caruso, the Lakers will be fine.

Yeah, I'm sorry that AB won't be there, but we have to focus on who will be there. If we're talking about the 17th man on the bench, JR Smith is as good as anyone else who was available. My concern is about the big men. If Dwight stays home, we'll need another big body. I don't know who else is out there.

Agreed on all points (especially dwight dangit!). Was more pointing to how it will be interesting to see how dion/jr will be used, how many mpg and when they will play.

JR is another possibly great redemption story that he hopefully is motivated by. wish him and the team the best!
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:18 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
The high reward signing of JR is that if he pans out we have our own version of Lou Williams a guy who can come in and give you buckets.

Nah. If you are expecting JR to be Lou Williams you'll just be disappointed.

JR hasn't been that kind of guy for 4 or 5 years. It's been over two years since he scored 20 points in an NBA game.

Lou, on the other hand, averages 19 points per game.

JR is a guy we already passed over several times and picked up as a contingency under extreme circumstances. Don't make him more than he is.

He doesn’t have to play exactly like Lou for him to make a Impact even a slight version of Lou can make a difference for us.

Did you realize that JR is out of rhythm for 2 years and additional grew older? We can't win it all if we're in need of JR Smith for a single minute on the court.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Shamit Dua
@FearTheBrown
Shame we have to wait another few months for AD to leave the Lakers because tonight would have been the night

Pelicans Bloggers are so pathetic. Cant accept it was a win for both sides. Clearly they haven’t seen the on court chemistry between LeBron and AD.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Quote:
Shamit Dua
@FearTheBrown
Shame we have to wait another few months for AD to leave the Lakers because tonight would have been the night

Pelicans Bloggers are so pathetic. Cant accept it was a win for both sides. Clearly they haven’t seen the on court chemistry between LeBron and AD.

That kind of petty permeates their organization too. That’s why the stars end up leaving.

Griffin gives them some much needed stability, but I’m sure the owners will fire him at some point and the stars will start demanding trades.

It’s very likely Zion pulls an AD.

Pels bloggers are too emotional to understand why AD asked out.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject:

AD asked out because he knew that the team was going nowhere with him as the focal point. He needs that alpha and NO couldn’t bring one in. Who knows what the Lakers will do with him post-Lebron.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AD asked out because he knew that the team was going nowhere with him as the focal point. He needs that alpha and NO couldn’t bring one in. Who knows what the Lakers will do with him post-Lebron.

Disagree. AD left because after being loyal, they didn’t listen to him.

The final straw was them not re-signing Boogie and keeping his guys, like Rondo around.

The Pelicans looked at it as asset management, but failed the personal/human element.

The Lakers always cater to their superstars. That’s why KCP, Rondo and Boogie are around.

It’s really that simple. The Pelicans didn’t value AD as a significant voice in personnel decisions. The superstars today are part of the decision making process. For the Pels sake, they better not repeat the same mistake with Zion. Silver isn’t going to keep handing them #1 picks, and especially not at the expense of hurting the potential success of a top 2 market team NY KNICKS.

That was one last favor. One more Zion screw up and they will be in Seattle.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject:

So AD didn’t like the good moves that the NO FO made? Cousins was done as was Rondo. If those are moves he wanted then I hope that the Laker FO doesn’t listen to him.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
So AD didn’t like the good moves that the NO FO made? Cousins was done as was Rondo. If those are moves he wanted then I hope that the Laker FO doesn’t listen to him.

That’s a separate discussion. Once the Pels let Boogie go, it started the AD exit strategy.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:18 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Not a good move to play someone in a spot they don't want to. i don't think losing cousins as much as not being able to replace him, or not wanting to.

Can you fault them for letting them go? of course not, but if they were so bad, how do you also not replace them with similar/improved personnel?

They were going to let him rot. Lakers were not. Bron provided an added guarantee of a different, more player chemistry focused approach.

wanting to be dominated by an alpha is a reach.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject:

What the NO front office was not listening to was Davis’ objection to playing center. Lakers have done a good job of limiting his mpg at center.

Not sure it as much to do with Cousins specifically, especially since he was hurt with a long term injury.

It is going to be interesting to see how “loyal” AD actually is after this season. The Lakers have a roster of short term players best suited to be James’ support system on and off the court. ( including Smith)

Do they start transitioning to players built around AD and listening to AD ? Or are they still focused on James as he declines? Smith is a James and Klutch choice.

As a player, Smith is done. Adding him is comfortable but far from the best player available. I only hope some of you are correct in predicting he is a end of the bench player with limited mpg. We shall see.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
. . . As a player, Smith is done. Adding him is comfortable but far from the best player available. I only hope some of you are correct in predicting he is a end of the bench player with limited mpg. We shall see.

I'm not being snarky, but who (specifically) was out there that you'd have preferred them to sign?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
. . . As a player, Smith is done. Adding him is comfortable but far from the best player available. I only hope some of you are correct in predicting he is a end of the bench player with limited mpg. We shall see.

I'm not being snarky, but who (specifically) was out there that you'd have preferred them to sign?

Not being snarky, it’s a legitimate question. IMO there is no good answer. Bradley opting out is a huge loss. His defense is not getting replaced by any still out there.

Not taking Smith is a personal opinion based on his inconsistent and unpredictable behavior on and off the floor. Too big a wild card to bring into the bubble with the team.

I would have preferred Burke, Shumpert, Crabbe or G. Green over Smith. If looking for offensive contributions I would have even looked at Old man Crawford, J. Johnson or I. Thomas as spark plugs at the end of the bench.

All better “ professionals” to bring in for a short intense and isolated run as this playoff format will be. JMO not wanting to argue “better”. As I said, Bradley opting out screws the Lakers on the floor. If James and Klutch believe that Smith can be a contributor, so be it.

It is a done deal now. Now we live with the consequences. Good or bad!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject:

What the NO front office was not listening to was Davis’ objection to playing center. Lakers have done a good job of limiting his mpg at center.

Not sure it as much to do with Cousins specifically, especially since he was hurt with a long term injury.

It is going to be interesting to see how “loyal” AD actually is after this season. The Lakers have a roster of short term players best suited to be James’ support system on and off the court. ( including Smith)

Do they start transitioning to players built around AD and listening to AD ? Or are they still focused on James as he declines? Smith is a James and Klutch choice.

As a player, Smith is done. Adding him is comfortable but far from the best player available. I only hope some of you are correct in predicting he is a end of the bench player with limited mpg. We shall see.

Smith is a number, there if things get desperate. I doubt that many expect anything out of him and doubt that we get anything out of him. Like Waiters he is a fill in if things go badly. It’s not really a move to like or dislike.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Smith is a number, there if things get desperate. I doubt that many expect anything out of him and doubt that we get anything out of him. Like Waiters he is a fill in if things go badly. It’s not really a move to like or dislike.

Not disagreeing with you on expectations for Smith.

As I stated, adding Smith is not the important issue. Subtracting Bradley is.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

It shouldn’t be as long as you understand it’s a volunteer opt out by Avery

Nothing anybody can do about it
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

It shouldn’t be as long as you understand it’s a volunteer opt out by Avery

Nothing anybody can do about it

And the beauty part is if JR balls out and Bradley comes back next year we will have shore up our depth even more.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Your flip flop tune is so hilarious. just two years ago you was praising him as a alpha dog when I was praising Cousins. lol now once he demanded a trade to the Lakers he became a mediocre star in your eyes When is Clippersground opening up?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Someone needs to tell JR that it was Kawhi who broke into his car...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject:

JR Swish has spoken

https://mobile.twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/1280223953810649088

I’m excited that he seems to be engaged I would say if he balls out we are gonna give him a nice decent contract.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
JR Swish has spoken

I’m excited that he seems to be engaged I would say if he balls out we are gonna give him a nice decent contract.

Same issues as Dwight. Out of the league and not knowing if he would ever get another chance.

Let’s see if he can run with it like Dwight did...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
JR Swish has spoken

Same issues as Dwight. Out of the league and not knowing if he would ever get another chance.

Let’s see if he can run with it like Dwight did...

the nice part is that Howard always had high regard for LeBron and so does JR so we know players who respect LeBron are gonna play at a high level.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11
Jump to: