What are your most Controversial opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I'm not saying MMA athletes aren't skillful. It's just such a brutal thing to watch. I have no interest in that whatsoever.

I watched one event when some coworkers and I went to a sports bar down the block from where we worked to grab a few drinks as we were wrapping up a grueling project. We were there for a couple of matches. It was unpleasant, and made more so by the sounds of people cheering as the fighters got brutalized.

The thing i always found particularly horrific is when someone gets knocked unconscious and the other fighter continues to pound away at the expressionless face of their opponent. Even when the officials jump in to stop it they’re still receiving several defenseless blows to the head after the one that knocked them out. Not my idea of entertainment.

I've seen maybe 3 such vids in street fights where the victim surviving was a minor miracle if they did at all. One of them was fought on a beach, two average sized guys, not hulking brutes w/ prison yard muscle. The first guy was out on the first shot and the other guy was full-force punching him on the top of the head and face 5x (victim was on his stomach so he was taking hits to his skill and cheekbones). Then he gets up and does a full-on knee drop with a slight hop even to the victim's neck. The victim starts loudly groaning over and over, death's doorstep. If two men are stupid and reckless enough to do that, they need seconds as they did in dueling days.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject:

I cringe when people talk about wanting to be happy. Happiness is a temporary state of being that often is dictated by outside influences. To use that fleeting feeling as a life goal is ridiculous IMO.

Try being fulfilled or living a life with purpose, generosity, etc. If you manage to achieve it, you'll find joy, which is much more rewarding and long-lasting than happiness.

When I hear people say they want happiness, I think of a kid with an ice cream. Grow up.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
I cringe when people talk about wanting to be happy. Happiness is a temporary state of being that often is dictated by outside influences. To use that fleeting feeling as a life goal is ridiculous IMO.

Try being fulfilled or living a life with purpose, generosity, etc. If you manage to achieve it, you'll find joy, which is much more rewarding and long-lasting than happiness.

When I hear people say they want happiness, I think of a kid with an ice cream. Grow up.

lol I’m not sure others see the gigantic difference between “happiness” and “joy” that you appear to.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

lol I’m not sure others see the gigantic difference between “happiness” and “joy” that you appear to.

There certainly is a difference. Joy gets you through tough times because you're able to feel contentedness and gratitude even when things go awry. Happiness ends as soon as you're done with the ice cream cone. One is internal and the other is external.

That's my experience at least.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
ocho wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

There certainly is a difference. Joy gets you through tough times because you're able to feel contentedness and gratitude even when things go awry. Happiness ends as soon as you're done with the ice cream cone. One is internal and the other is external.

It’s ok that you have specific ideas about these two words that basically mean the same thing, I just think when you hear people say they want to be happy they’re probably talking about the same things you’re talking about.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
ocho wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

It’s ok that you have specific ideas about these two words that basically mean the same thing, I just think when you hear people say they want to be happy they’re probably talking about the same things you’re talking about.

I guess.

That's probably why it qualifies as a controversial opinion?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
ocho wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
ocho wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

I guess.

That's probably why it qualifies as a controversial opinion?

Good point!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:

Seeking happiness is naive.
Seeking joy is a fool's game.
That's why I'm chasing ecstasy. And I'm not talking about the state of being ecstatic. I'm talking about the drug ecstasy. Anybody have a plug?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject:

Trump is actually a Marxist.

His followers are the epitome of a classless society.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
That's why I'm chasing ecstasy. And I'm not talking about the state of being ecstatic. I'm talking about the drug ecstasy. Anybody have a plug?

I'll go off on a tangent:
Speed kills; don't meth with it.

unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:

I have a couple of thoughts on happiness:

1) The secret to finding true Happiness is to Lower your Expectations!

(If you don't expect too much, then you should be happy, right?)

2) Happiness is only a State of Mind

(It's not tied to power or money, there are unhappy billionaires and happy poor people, there are unhappy powerful people and happy powerless people)
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject:

The United States of America is no longer a superpower.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Jacob Blake shooting was orchestrated by Trump's camp to rile up protesters to help him re-elected. the more violent the protests are, more likely he'll get voted in.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Jacob Blake shooting was orchestrated by Trump's camp to rile up protesters to help him re-elected. the more violent the protests are, more likely he'll get voted in.

I am pretty sure, you are just trying to be funny for some sick reason, and probably don't truly believe what you have written, but I'll play along.

For this to be true, you would have to actually believe that President Trump was monitoring police calls made in Kenosha, Wisconsin and when he heard a call come in regarding Domestic Violence, he quickly called into the Police station and ordered the Police Commander (on duty) to radio the responding officers and instruct them to shoot the guy in the back ONLY if the person who committed the crime is a black man...

I'm sure you could think of more creative ways to attack Trump...sigh!
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I am pretty sure, you are just trying to be funny for some sick reason, and probably don't truly believe what you have written, but I'll play along.

For this to be true, you would have to actually believe that President Trump was monitoring police calls made in Kenosha, Wisconsin and when he heard a call come in regarding Domestic Violence, he quickly called into the Police station and ordered the Police Commander (on duty) to radio the responding officers and instruct them to shoot the guy in the back ONLY if the person who committed the crime is a black man...

I'm sure you could think of more creative ways to attack Trump...sigh!

i'll play along too. Trump does not have to be this specific in carrying out this agenda. all he or maybe not even himself, maybe someone from his campaign had to do was just mentioning this idea, and they'll find people to carry out the specifics.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Will no one rid me of this troublesome priest?
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Trump would tweet or rant something like "Why do we let these Black MFs commit all these crimes in these liberal cities, someone should just take them out. The police should smash them with tremendous force. And then the suburban housewives will see that I alone can protect them from these animals."

And voila', trickle down policy.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Let's all say it together, "Will no one rid us of this troublesome POtuS . . .?"
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
L4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject:

My most controversial opinion: The USA is no longer the best country in the world to live in for most people.

If you're not ultra wealthy, many other countries have better social programs including socialized medicine, secondary education, or even nutrition/housing.

If you are ultra wealthy and/or own a business/are finance oriented, many other countries have far lower taxes and/or barriers to entry for entrepreneurs. The sacrifice in standard of living is low and/or completely off-set by the fact your money will go further in that country. The dollar is still strong in many places.

To top it all off, the US is financially insolvent and quickly becoming politically destabilized with escalating racial tensions.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject:

L4L wrote:
My most controversial opinion: The USA is no longer the best country in the world to live in for most people.

If you're not ultra wealthy, many other countries have better social programs including socialized medicine, secondary education, or even nutrition/housing.

If you are ultra wealthy and/or own a business/are finance oriented, many other countries have far lower taxes and/or barriers to entry for entrepreneurs. The sacrifice in standard of living is low and/or completely off-set by the fact your money will go further in that country. The dollar is still strong in many places.

To top it all off, the US is financially insolvent and quickly becoming politically destabilized with escalating racial tensions.

I don't think it's that controversial. We're nowhere near the top in almost every measure of happiness/quality of living. Lot of Scandinavian countries at the top of many of those lists.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject:

We as a society have lost perspective or lack an understanding of true courage and/or bravery. Everyday actions are praised and labeled as brave, and they require little to know courage. Bravery is not something the someone does that you agree with or furthers your agenda....bravery is often an action that you may not even support the underlying reasons for the action, but the person took action and were at great risk for real consequences.

For example, I did not support Kap kneeling during the anthem. I still do not support any American kneeling during the anthem, although I recognize their right to take that action. Still, at the time and today, I have recognized that it took real guts, courage or whatever you want to call it for Kap to take that action especially after the extreme backlash he received. It would have been so easy for him to say "I made a mistake" and he likely would have got another chance in the league with some team. Still, he claimed he would not back down in the face of pressure, and never has to date. While some can make an argument it worked out ok for him and he has received millions of dollars from Nike and other endorsements specifically for his actions....but there was absolutely no guarantee that would happen, or a material margin of public sentiment would change in favor of his actions. Still do not agree with his actions....still recognize he walked that plank alone and it took real courage. In contrast, all of the NBA players that kneel during the anthem in the Lake Buena Vista bubble required no courage. It was fully approved by the league in a very different public climate, and they were part of the majority. Yet, the media covered it as if they were so courageous for their act. I personally see it as a slap in the face to Kap in the way the media covered it because they did not have any risk and knew they would be celebrated while he risked everything when he took the same action. In reality, Jonathan Isaac's decision to stand during the anthem was the actual brave act this time around. As a young black male, he knew his decision would not be popular among fellow players and especially fans, while knowing the media in this climate would cover his action very negatively. Similar to Kap in some regards, he felt strongly and did not wilt in the face of significant pressure. As I said, it is not about if you or I agree with why someone is taking an action in regards to bravery/courage....it is about did someone take an act that was accompanied by personal risk/consequences.

I bring this up tonight because of Kenny Smith's act of walking off the set of Inside the NBA tonight. The media instantly reported on it as a brave and courageous act by Smith. It was neither. It was a publicity stunt at worst, but at best it was an action taken that Smith knew he would not suffer any professional or personal consequences for taking. He was well aware of the climate and how it would be covered by the media. I am not saying his act was right or wrong...only that it was not brave to any degree.

I find the fact that we seem to label everything we agree with as brave is problematic because we fail to recognize true courage and the real value of courage. I often have saw the media cover and compare irrelevant acts such as a tweet to acts taken during the civil rights movement. Somehow making a snarky comment in pajamas gets conflated with literally putting ones life in jeopardy to set at a diner counter in the Jim Crow South.

It should be easy to decipher. You may have read the story earlier this week of Sgt. Sivad Johnson, a Detroit Firefighter that drowned saving 3 young girls. It got some coverage in the media, but not to the level it deserved. Sgt. Johnson is an example of real bravery and courage....sending out of tweet suggesting Biden has dementia or another "orange man bad" diatribe is not.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
L4L wrote:

I don't think it's that controversial. We're nowhere near the top in almost every measure of happiness/quality of living. Lot of Scandinavian countries at the top of many of those lists.

the "best" is subjective. The fact that no other country comes close to the amount of people from other countries seeking to migrate to it as the United States is an objective fact while providing the US a strong argument to claim being the greatest country to reside for most people. Not suggesting everyone has to subscribe to that opinion.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Controversial Opinion:

EVERYTHING I have been taught by this system we exist under is a f***ing Lie....All of it. Spiritual slavery is the default reality 🤲🤕🤲
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
We as a society have lost perspective or lack an understanding of true courage and/or bravery. Everyday actions are praised and labeled as brave, and they require little to know courage. Bravery is not something the someone does that you agree with or furthers your agenda....bravery is often an action that you may not even support the underlying reasons for the action, but the person took action and were at great risk for real consequences.

I guess my only question for you is. What's the difference between bravery and stupidity? Or maybe they aren't mutually exclusive?

Because I could describe both those words the same way. Risking great harm to yourself (and indirectly those who care about you) despite a small chance of success.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

For example, I did not support Kap kneeling during the anthem. I still do not support any American kneeling during the anthem, although I recognize their right to take that action. Still, at the time and today, I have recognized that it took real guts, courage or whatever you want to call it for Kap to take that action especially after the extreme backlash he received. It would have been so easy for him to say "I made a mistake" and he likely would have got another chance in the league with some team. Still, he claimed he would not back down in the face of pressure, and never has to date. While some can make an argument it worked out ok for him and he has received millions of dollars from Nike and other endorsements specifically for his actions....but there was absolutely no guarantee that would happen, or a material margin of public sentiment would change in favor of his actions. Still do not agree with his actions....still recognize he walked that plank alone and it took real courage. In contrast, all of the NBA players that kneel during the anthem in the Lake Buena Vista bubble required no courage. It was fully approved by the league in a very different public climate, and they were part of the majority. Yet, the media covered it as if they were so courageous for their act. I personally see it as a slap in the face to Kap in the way the media covered it because they did not have any risk and knew they would be celebrated while he risked everything when he took the same action. In reality, Jonathan Isaac's decision to stand during the anthem was the actual brave act this time around. As a young black male, he knew his decision would not be popular among fellow players and especially fans, while knowing the media in this climate would cover his action very negatively. Similar to Kap in some regards, he felt strongly and did not wilt in the face of significant pressure. As I said, it is not about if you or I agree with why someone is taking an action in regards to bravery/courage....it is about did someone take an act that was accompanied by personal risk/consequences.

I bring this up tonight because of Kenny Smith's act of walking off the set of Inside the NBA tonight. The media instantly reported on it as a brave and courageous act by Smith. It was neither. It was a publicity stunt at worst, but at best it was an action taken that Smith knew he would not suffer any professional or personal consequences for taking. He was well aware of the climate and how it would be covered by the media. I am not saying his act was right or wrong...only that it was not brave to any degree.

I find the fact that we seem to label everything we agree with as brave is problematic because we fail to recognize true courage and the real value of courage. I often have saw the media cover and compare irrelevant acts such as a tweet to acts taken during the civil rights movement. Somehow making a snarky comment in pajamas gets conflated with literally putting ones life in jeopardy to set at a diner counter in the Jim Crow South.

It should be easy to decipher. You may have read the story earlier this week of Sgt. Sivad Johnson, a Detroit Firefighter that drowned saving 3 young girls. It got some coverage in the media, but not to the level it deserved. Sgt. Johnson is an example of real bravery and courage....sending out of tweet suggesting Biden has dementia or another "orange man bad" diatribe is not.

That’s a lot of words you could have condensed into “I like the status quo and will to a long way looking to passively aggressively denigrate people who dont benefit like I do looking for change”

There are lot of days we give you excess latitude to do this. Today is not that day.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 12 of 80
Jump to: