What are your most Controversial opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject:

A French fry needs two or three fryings to achieve its potential. Steam blanched, par fried at mid 200’s temp, then flash fried around 375. Because it takes too long to do those steps at once, most great fries are frozen after the par fry. Fresh cut potatoes fried once sound very artisan and fresh from a marketing standpoint, but you won’t get the right results.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
A French fry needs two or three fryings to achieve its potential. Steam blanched, par fried at mid 200’s temp, then flash fried around 375. Because it takes too long to do those steps at once, most great fries are frozen after the par fry. Fresh cut potatoes fried once sound very artisan and fresh from a marketing standpoint, but you won’t get the right results.

True, true. I've seen this aplenti on Food Network. Bobby Flay taught me. All the chefs on that channel w/ restaurants are aware of that. And you can put all the umami or fondue or whatever you want on the fries -- white truffle oil, etc, but the base fry gotta be cooked the way you described it first or you're just wasting expensive toppings.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
In N Out fries aren't good. They're dry and pretty flavorless.

I'm not sure if that's even a controversial opinion, but let's go w/ the assumption that it is. What say you sophisticated arbiters of fast food quality?

Order them light-well and they come out much better. Not the best, but better.

What are the best? I will go there. Say in OC.

I used to think they were perfect, and about four years ago, I realized i still liked the texture, but the taste was nothing. I don't go that frequently maybe 3 times a year, but a couple of times more I ordered it, thinking it was just that location, or a bad day, but nope, they are actually flavorless.

But seriously, where are the best?

First of all, if you haven't heard it, this is an interesting listen:

McDonald's Broke My Heart

It's Gladwell talking about McDonald's switch away from beef tallow for their fries.

Anyway, back to your question -- I assume you mean best fast food fries?

I certainly haven't tried them all, but I like Five Guys & The Habit more. Does The Stand count? They're in OC.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
focus wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

I'm not sure if that's even a controversial opinion, but let's go w/ the assumption that it is. What say you sophisticated arbiters of fast food quality?

I used to think they were perfect, and about four years ago, I realized i still liked the texture, but the taste was nothing. I don't go that frequently maybe 3 times a year, but a couple of times more I ordered it, thinking it was just that location, or a bad day, but nope, they are actually flavorless.

It's Gladwell talking about McDonald's switch away from beef tallow for their fries.

I certainly haven't tried them all, but I like Five Guys & The Habit more. Does The Stand count? They're in OC.

I’ve been in a plant where they make McDonalds fries on a few occasions, and one night shift had procured some beef tallow and made them up the old fashioned way next to the current way. What a difference. McDonald’s still has some of the best fries out there, but they’ve let their standards drop even beyond changing oil.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

For fast food:

If you want a lightly breaded fry, KFC's are addictive.
Carl's Junior criss-cut are flavorful but also breaded.

Chain Fast Casual:

Luna Grill makes a good skinny fry - If you can make a good falafel you should be able to dunk some fries.

Island fries are up there. I don't usually like dirty fries, but the flavored salt they use makes them good.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject:

Trying out a bit:

The U.S. only maintains military bases in Seoul and Okinawa because of access to the vast oil reserves in those countries.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
focus wrote:
Halflife wrote:
discipline your toddlers. it will pay dividends when they are 10-11yrs old
Is this controversial?

I have a toddler, I discpline him but I never lay a hand on him. My mother spanked (not maliciously) but to discipline when we were kids, duster to butt was the most. I can't get myself to do it

I think spanking/hitting kids is wrong. It ruins the relationship between the kid and the parent and teaches the kid to fear the parent hitting them.

Then again, I don't have any kids, and I'm just going by what the experts say, plus my personal experience when I was a kid.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
focus wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

So i t isn't just me! I've always thought Mickey D fries tasted differently than I remember it as a kid but I always chalked it up to having rose colored goggles. They did the same thing to their apple pie as well. It used to be super crispy like an empanada, now it feels like they heated up one of those crappy Hostess fruit pies.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
focus wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

So i t isn't just me! I've always thought Mickey D fries tasted differently than I remember it as a kid but I always chalked it up to having rose colored goggles. They did the same thing to their apple pie as well. It used to be super crispy like an empanada, now it feels like they heated up one of those crappy Hostess fruit pies.

They got a lot of crap for not having vegan fries and not using healthier oil.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
focus wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

No, I actually was assuming other than fast food. Something at the "would actually go there looking forward to the fries" level. Five Guys, Habit are all right if I am hungry, but because fries (and burgers, ice cream, etc.) are usually off my somewhat healthy usual pattern, like a break, I try to get some serious flavor and satisfaction return for that indulgence. Five Guys, and really no fast food place I know of is beyond just ok/goodifI'mhungry. I think Five Guys was the best of the ok group.

So, nonfastfood is fine. Is the Stand really good for fries? I recall the burger there was pretty darn good, but I don't think I actually had the fries (probably a to go order for lunch). And are there any other fries you really enjoy, for any kind of establishment? Also, thank you.

Last edited by focus on Wed May 12, 2021 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
focus wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

For fast food:

If you want a lightly breaded fry, KFC's are addictive.
Carl's Junior criss-cut are flavorful but also breaded.

Chain Fast Casual:

Luna Grill makes a good skinny fry - If you can make a good falafel you should be able to dunk some fries.

Island fries are up there. I don't usually like dirty fries, but the flavored salt they use makes them good.

Ok, thank you. I think I'll try KFC and Island's since someone else here was talking up their burgers.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
governator wrote:
focus wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Is this controversial?

I have a toddler, I discpline him but I never lay a hand on him. My mother spanked (not maliciously) but to discipline when we were kids, duster to butt was the most. I can't get myself to do it

I think spanking/hitting kids is wrong. It ruins the relationship between the kid and the parent and teaches the kid to fear the parent hitting them.

Then again, I don't have any kids, and I'm just going by what the experts say, plus my personal experience when I was a kid.

In my reply, I did not think whether 'discipline' meant physical discipline, but just discipline as in not letting the toddler do whatever they want and having some rules. The latter does not seem controversial to me.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
slavavov wrote:
governator wrote:
focus wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Is this controversial?

In my reply, I did not think whether 'discipline' meant physical discipline, but just discipline as in not letting the toddler do whatever they want and having some rules. The latter does not seem controversial to me.

Of course kids need to be disciplined, and you're right, that's not controversial. I was responding more to governator who said he/she was spanked as a kid, and saying that, as someone who was also spanked/hit/etc. by his parents, it's wrong and harmful to kids.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
So, nonfastfood is fine. Is the Stand really good for fries? I recall the burger there was pretty darn good, but I don't think I actually had the fries (probably a to go order for lunch). And are there any other fries you really enjoy, for any kind of establishment? Also, thank you.

Honestly, at the Stand I usually order the Brussels sprouts on the side, and not the fries. They're really good, but their sister restaurant, TLT, does 'em great.

I'd have to go back & think about the best fries at ANY restaurant. They just don't stick in my memory like an entree or wine list does. I've gone to places I like for burger & fries-type meals, but don't remember the fries specifically, and conversely, I remember some good fries but not where they came from.

I'm thinking BLK Burgerz in Ladera Ranch did them justice. But if not for the fries, then at least for the chips they serve at the table, which are addicting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
focus wrote:
slavavov wrote:
governator wrote:
focus wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Is this controversial?

Of course kids need to be disciplined, and you're right, that's not controversial. I was responding more to governator who said he/she was spanked as a kid, and saying that, as someone who was also spanked/hit/etc. by his parents, it's wrong and harmful to kids.

I'm ok with non physically harmful spanking (spanking butt) and yes, the whole idea is to deter because the child will fear the spanking. I myself can't do it to my kid but I've seen the good outcomes (I didn't grow up in US so it was a more common thing, teachers/80s did it in my elementary school too)
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
slavavov wrote:
focus wrote:
slavavov wrote:
governator wrote:
focus wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Is this controversial?

I'm ok with non physically harmful spanking (spanking butt) and yes, the whole idea is to deter because the child will fear the spanking. I myself can't do it to my kid but I've seen the good outcomes (I didn't grow up in US so it was a more common thing, teachers/80s did it in my elementary school too)

I was raised by a village. Adults would turn a child around and with the palm of their hand lightly spank their buttocks. When my parents found out I was spanked by Ms Hattie, I usually got another one, a bit more sever. Spanking is not meant to be painful, it's meant to cause the memory of the wrong.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject:

Spanking usually costs me about $20 more, when I go down to Tijuana.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject:

Anybody got any opinions on the recent Israel v. Palestine violence?

I don't know enough about the 2 countries' histories to have an opinion.

But I've never been a fan of Netanyahu. Surprised he's still PM.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

I think there are no good guys, just a lot of innocent victims.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
focus wrote:

Honestly, at the Stand I usually order the Brussels sprouts on the side, and not the fries. They're really good, but their sister restaurant, TLT, does 'em great.

I'd have to go back & think about the best fries at ANY restaurant. They just don't stick in my memory like an entree or wine list does. I've gone to places I like for burger & fries-type meals, but don't remember the fries specifically, and conversely, I remember some good fries but not where they came from.

I'm thinking BLK Burgerz in Ladera Ranch did them justice. But if not for the fries, then at least for the chips they serve at the table, which are addicting.
The bold is almost always the way it is for me, where the entree/burger is memorable and fries come along for the ride. Although usually the more memorable ones involve garlic or some seasoning for me, so maybe not about the potato-cooking exactly. The Kroft was ok for a few times, but then I realized the oil just was too much and gross and the garlic was actually way too much.
BLK is definitely on my list now, along with the Stand. Thanks again.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Feels odd and awkward posting the fries thing post and then the above middle east one, but so be it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel

I take the side of the civilians murdered no matter their faith or nationality.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Pork chops are tasty AND not as bad for one's health as (beef) steaks.

Yes, but like with anything else, there are gradations of pork chop goodness. You got quality A restaurants that know how to cook mean, eyelid-fluttering double cut chops and you got mama's olde style flat pork chops. The good thing about pork chops is that they're kinda like pizza in the sense that, as long as they're correctly cooked, they're all basicaly good from low range to upper crust. W/ gravy from the deglazed pan, they're even better. And pork is what's for dinner. It's the other, other white meat. We got some high-class professional sophisticates like Larry in here. Anyone ever have a chop that ended all prior chops anywhere that you wanna mention?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
Pork chops are tasty AND not as bad for one's health as (beef) steaks.

Yes, but like with anything else, there are gradations of pork chop goodness. You got quality A restaurants that know how to cook mean, eyelid-fluttering double cut chops and you got mama's olde style flat pork chops. The good thing about pork chops is that they're kinda like pizza in the sense that, as long as they're correctly cooked, they're all basicaly good from low range to upper crust. W/ gravy from the deglazed pan, they're even better. And pork is what's for dinner. It's the other, other white meat. We got some high-class professional sophisticates like Larry in here. Anyone ever have a chop that ended all prior chops anywhere that you wanna mention?

Do you prefer them breaded and fried (thin) or grilled (thick)?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 34 of 80
Jump to: