What are your most Controversial opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Rules of war. HUH?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Rules of war. HUH?

You disagree that they should exist? That’s not controversial, that’s barbaric.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Dominic1981
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:55 pm    Post subject:

My most controversial opinion probably centers around age of consent laws. There were basically none up until the early 1900s. Thru-out 8000+ years of civilization, a female was considered a woman after they could reproduce. I just don’t have any outrage when a woman who can have a baby sleeps with another man who can also can create a baby if each participant is willing. I don’t think these types of laws help society. When I read about teachers banging students in the news, I’m amused but not outraged. It’s two people making a decision.

It’s crazy to me someone can be legally trusted to drive a car, but aren’t allowed to choose who they sleep with.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:33 am    Post subject:

nevermind

Last edited by kikanga on Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:43 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Rules of war. HUH?

You disagree that they should exist? That’s not controversial, that’s barbaric.

No, I think they should exist. Once again, interpretation. I mean who follows them? They are one of the most ignored rules in existence. (HUH?)

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
My most controversial opinion probably centers around age of consent laws. There were basically none up until the early 1900s. Thru-out 8000+ years of civilization, a female was considered a woman after they could reproduce. I just don’t have any outrage when a woman who can have a baby sleeps with another man who can also can create a baby if each participant is willing. I don’t think these types of laws help society. When I read about teachers banging students in the news, I’m amused but not outraged. It’s two people making a decision.

It’s crazy to me someone can be legally trusted to drive a car, but aren’t allowed to choose who they sleep with.

Consent isn’t merely the act of choice, it’s contextual. And context has a lot to do with balance of power. There’s a reason I’ve never tried nor should I try to sleep with an employee, even if attracted, for example, and why full adults shouldn’t be allowed to sleep with children. And why children choosing to sleep with each other is different than with an adult.

Fwiw, prior to the advent of the laws you mentioned, females were considered not much more than property and breeding receptacles. You might also note that women only gained the right to vote around this time period as well, and workers only started having basic protections for safety, and children stopped being perfectly legal as cheap or free labor, etc.

We are at a point where a lot of the progress we made is being attacked and even undone. Regression should not only be controversial, but deplored.
Dominic1981
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

Consent isn’t merely the act of choice, it’s contextual. And context has a lot to do with balance of power. There’s a reason I’ve never tried nor should I try to sleep with an employee, even if attracted, for example, and why full adults shouldn’t be allowed to sleep with children. And why children choosing to sleep with each other is different than with an adult.

Fwiw, prior to the advent of the laws you mentioned, females were considered not much more than property and breeding receptacles. You might also note that women only gained the right to vote around this time period as well, and workers only started having basic protections for safety, and children stopped being perfectly legal as cheap or free labor, etc.

We are at a point where a lot of the progress we made is being attacked and even undone. Regression should not only be controversial, but deplored.

I don’t see progress in the issue I brought up. I see a lack of free will being imposed by the government. And a lack of common sense with some of the penalties imposed for such behavior. We live in a society where some govts have legalized behavior seen as taboo- such as hard drugs (which clearly have a detriment to society- see what has happened to Portland Oregon). Yet in cases where two people willingly consent to sleep with each other, while they each may hurt each other emotionally (regrets, etc) etc- society isn’t being hurt. And it’s still on the individual making that choice. Choices have consequences. But I don’t see the govt needing to protect people from their own free will choices which is how I see the basic premise of statutory rape laws. It’s also the same premise as the drinking age. The govt says I have to be 21 to drink, but they are fine me being 18 and joining the military, using weapons, killing the enemy. A girl can legally drive at 16, some states 15 with a permit, but isn’t old enough to decide who to sleep with. A govt trying to protect people from making what it sees as bad choices (hence the drinking age and AOC laws).

And up until the 1900s, while certainly people had shorter life spans, they also started their “adult” lives much earlier than today due to physiological factors (which have not changed since the creation of humans). Some of the progress you cite I see it as a nanny state where 25 year olds are still seen as dependent children (on their parents health insurance). A century before there were 15-16 year olds getting married and starting families.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

I don’t see progress in the issue I brought up. I see a lack of free will being imposed by the government. And a lack of common sense with some of the penalties imposed for such behavior. We live in a society where some govts have legalized behavior seen as taboo- such as hard drugs (which clearly have a detriment to society- see what has happened to Portland Oregon). Yet in cases where two people willingly consent to sleep with each other, while they each may hurt each other emotionally (regrets, etc) etc- society isn’t being hurt. And it’s still on the individual making that choice. Choices have consequences. But I don’t see the govt needing to protect people from their own free will choices which is how I see the basic premise of statutory rape laws. It’s also the same premise as the drinking age. The govt says I have to be 21 to drink, but they are fine me being 18 and joining the military, using weapons, killing the enemy. A girl can legally drive at 16, some states 15 with a permit, but isn’t old enough to decide who to sleep with. A govt trying to protect people from making what it sees as bad choices (hence the drinking age and AOC laws).

And up until the 1900s, while certainly people had shorter life spans, they also started their “adult” lives much earlier than today due to physiological factors (which have not changed since the creation of humans). Some of the progress you cite I see it as a nanny state where 25 year olds are still seen as dependent children (on their parents health insurance). A century before there were 15-16 year olds getting married and starting families.

very cool. apropos of nothing, what kind of encryption do you use on your hard drive?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

Setting aside the laughable idea that legal pot destroyed Portland, I’m not sure that making the personal choice of an adult over 21 to themselves ingest a substance legal, while also making it illegal for sake 21 year old to share said substance with someone under 21 makes the argument in favor of adults having sex with minors that you think it does.

Also, people getting married at 15 a long time ago at a time when people could sell others as slaves in this country and children worked in sweatshops and we were busy carrying on the genocide of the native population carry’s the moral weight of living as free adults youre attributing to it.

Bonus rebuttal to an earlier idea: a six year old can biologically work in a diamond mine all day, so maybe just being biologically capable of reproduction isn’t the old green light?

But then again “adults should be able to (bleep) children” is a very strange hill to die on, and quite disturbing that you have this amount of passion about it. I’m sincerely hoping you don’t have any in mind, and if you do, please get help, because they deserve to make those choices and discoveries with consenting, equal peers. The government isn’t denying them freedom, it’s protecting them from people with your idea of freedom.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

You are conflating a bunch of issues that are far too disparate to warrant direct comparison, much less being rolled into one. The issues involved with being able to join the military at 18 versus being allowed to drink at 21 have nothing to do with sexual consent between a middle teen and an adult who is in a position of authority. Even comparing being able to drive at 16 versus being considered adult enough to chose a sexual relationship of that fashion is conflation enough.

Should a mutually consenting teenager of 16 be allowed to engage in sexual activity with a fellow teen who is of adult age? Sure, that is not inappropriate, and I really don’t believe in this day and age it is actually a significant problem in regards to how it is applied legally; outside of those instances where parents of a child who is under their care and responsibility not agreeing with that relationship. And under those circumstances, they should have a say in allowing that relationship to continue (though, in those instances, the problems introduced by strict parenting are their own discussion). But the reality is, government intervention in teenage consent isn't really a prolific enough occurrence that to claim government overreach.

But consent between a 16 year old child and and an adult who is 10 plus years older AND in a position of authority and responsibility as a teacher/coach etc. is a whole different matter and goes way be beyond, "I like them, they like me, everything's cool so who cares if we have sex?"

But in regards to the broad issue of: “I can drive a car at 16, but I can't vote. At 18 I can go to war, but I can't go into a bar or buy alcohol until I'm 21”, being questionable logical inconsistencies in regards to government regulation, they present issues far different than the dynamics of a middle teen entering a sexual relationship with a true adult who is in a position of influence. To ignore that is just mashing up hugely disparate issues that bury the important nuances in regards to application of the age of consent/statutory rape involving people well into adulthood and an underage teen who is under their care and responsibility. The inconsistencies you point out are irrelevant to that situation, and they certainly don't negate them.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Along with not being (bleep) by an adult, these are some other rules for humans on their way to (sadly for many, not full) adult development:

You can’t cross a border with someone who is not your legal guardian without verified permission from that guardian.

You can’t, for a period of time after getting a drivers license, drive non family members that aren’t adults. (Some will be delighted to know you can pick up strange adults if you choose)

You can’t vote.

You can’t buy possess or use a handgun (outside of very strict situations). Or a cigarette, or pot, or alcohol.

You have to attend school.

You can’t be made or allowed to work more than a certain amount of hours and jobs.

You can’t bring a weapon to school.

You can’t join the military. Or be drafted.

You can’t serve on a jury.

You can’t be president of the USA.

You’re right, it’s outta control. Let’s fix this. My guess is allowing adults access to children’s genitals is probably the wisest place to begin. Amirite?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Along with not being (bleep) by an adult, these are some other rules for humans on their way to (sadly for many, not full) adult development:
. . .

. . .

You’re right, it’s outta control. Let’s fix this.
My guess is allowing adults access to children’s genitals is probably the wisest place to begin. Amirite?

Well, we already have a fix for that one . . . the GED.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Dominic1981
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

Setting aside the laughable idea that legal pot destroyed Portland

First, pot didn’t destroy Portland. I never argued it did. Certainly pot use is not “taboo”.

Decriminalizing every hard drug on the planet, and tolerating hard drug addicts has destroyed Portland.

Second, your definition of a child and mine are diifferent. If you can be entrusted to work a job, pay taxes, drive a car, get married. You are an adult. You should have the right to do whatever you want legally that any adult can do. That includes drink alcohol, smoke, sleep with whoever you choose. And again, that was the standard for determining adulthood, womanhood, manhood for the last 8,000 years until the 1900s. And it’s really a purely US culture thing. It’s not like that in many Latin American countries. I’ve met 32 year old grandmothers from Mexico. Do the math on that that.
Dominic1981
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:51 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

You can’t cross a border with someone who is not your legal guardian without verified permission from that guardian.

You can’t, for a period of time after getting a drivers license, drive non family members that aren’t adults. (Some will be delighted to know you can pick up strange adults if you choose)

You can’t vote.

You can’t buy possess or use a handgun (outside of very strict situations). Or a cigarette, or pot, or alcohol.

You can’t be made or allowed to work more than a certain amount of hours and jobs.

You can’t bring a weapon to school.

You can’t join the military. Or be drafted.

You can’t serve on a jury.

You can’t be president of the USA.

You’re right, it’s outta control. Let’s fix this. My guess is allowing adults access to children’s genitals is probably the wisest place to begin. Amirite?

Yet you can get an abortion without parental consent. Makes no sense right? I can’t choose who I want to sleep with if I’m 16, but I can get an abortion without even letting my parents know I got one. Seems crazy right? This crazy zig zag line of morality when it’s really big govt nanny state/ism in effect.

I work in the clubbing industry. We have so many girls come in to the club for ladies drink free night, they all have fakes, and they are blending in with the college girls there. Nobody can tell the difference between 16 and 19. And most certainly hooking up with guys there much older than them. I had one girl even tell me she couldn’t wait to turn 18 because she was gonna make a (bleep) ton of $$$$$ on OnlyFans. This was her ambition. And she’s like “I work at Chic-Fil-a now, I pay taxes, there’s other girls my age working as fashion models, I have an army of thirsty simps following me on IG why can’t I sell what I have now?”. I told her, you know I agree with you. And up until 1900, if they had this tech back then, you could have done it. But society thinks of you as a victim now. And they’ve put laws into place to protect you from what they see as bad decisions/coercion etc. She’s like “that’s stupid”. I was like, yeah. It is. It’s a zigzagging line of enforced morality. With good intentions no doubt but a lack of common sense in many others.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:54 am    Post subject:

Criminals should actually be arrested (and prosecuted accordingly).
Dominic1981
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:53 am    Post subject:

We have a culture that excels in labeling everyone as a victim of something (pick an -ism), and once you have been anointed with victimhood status, you are thereby absolved of all personal responsibility that comes from your own personal life choices.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:00 am    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
We have a culture that excels in labeling everyone as a victim of something (pick an -ism), and once you have been anointed with victimhood status, you are thereby absolved of all personal responsibility that comes from your own personal life choices.

I see it a bit differently. I see it as people talking past each other and not being able to hold 2 ideas at the same time.
For example, alot of crime is committed due to poverty. Does that mean criminals are excused from committing crime? Of course not. Criminals should be held accountable.
Also, if you want to decrease crime. Addressing the poverty behind it is a million times more effective than just increasing the punishment. (Since most criminals don't think they will get caught in the first place).
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I work in the clubbing industry.

Oof. Not a great industry for a pedophile.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:14 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

I see it a bit differently. I see it as people talking past each other and not being able to hold 2 ideas at the same time.
For example, alot of crime is committed due to poverty. Does that mean criminals are excused from committing crime? Of course not. Criminals should be held accountable.
Also, if you want to decrease crime. Addressing the poverty behind it is a million times more effective than just increasing the punishment. (Since most criminals don't think they will get caught in the first place).

How does this explain low crime rates in certain countries like Japan, Korea, Singapore where they still have areas with deep poverty and income inequality from its major cities

Crime comes from lack of guidance and education. Lack of guidance comes from bad parenting. Lack of education comes from bad parenting. Don’t have kids if you can’t provide them with basic needs like food, water, and education. Don’t bail on your kids.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:

Second, your definition of a child and mine are diifferent. If you can be entrusted to work a job, pay taxes, drive a car, get married. You are an adult. You should have the right to do whatever you want legally that any adult can do. That includes drink alcohol, smoke, sleep with whoever you choose. And again, that was the standard for determining adulthood, womanhood, manhood for the last 8,000 years until the 1900s. And it’s really a purely US culture thing. It’s not like that in many Latin American countries. I’ve met 32 year old grandmothers from Mexico. Do the math on that that.

That isn't the great argument you think it is.

But anyway, you conveniently keep ignoring a key element in the AOC and that is the role of the adult who chooses to have sex with a minor, particularly those in a position of authority, and the influence they exert in manipulating that "consent" from the minor.

There may be many issues who this current society deals with responsibility and permission regarding minors, but opening the door up to pedophiles isn't one we should be emphasizing.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:

I work in the clubbing industry. We have so many girls come in to the club for ladies drink free night, they all have fakes, and they are blending in with the college girls there. Nobody can tell the difference between 16 and 19. And most certainly hooking up with guys there much older than them. I had one girl even tell me she couldn’t wait to turn 18 because she was gonna make a (bleep) ton of $$$$$ on OnlyFans. This was her ambition. And she’s like “I work at Chic-Fil-a now, I pay taxes, there’s other girls my age working as fashion models, I have an army of thirsty simps following me on IG why can’t I sell what I have now?”. I told her, you know I agree with you. And up until 1900, if they had this tech back then, you could have done it. But society thinks of you as a victim now. And they’ve put laws into place to protect you from what they see as bad decisions/coercion etc. She’s like “that’s stupid”. I was like, yeah. It is. It’s a zigzagging line of enforced morality. With good intentions no doubt but a lack of common sense in many others.

Ahhhhhhhh . . . things are much clearer now in regards to why you are so passionate about the AOC.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
I work in the clubbing industry.

Oof. Not a great industry for a pedophile.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Dominic1981
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject:

You guys probably should consult a dictionary in terms of what a pedophile is. I am certainly not one, nor have I advocated for such. Pedophilia is the attraction to prepubescents.

When Kobe started dating Vanessa when she was a 17 year old HS student/music video dancer, he was attracted to her because she looked like a woman.

Nobody is looking at Vanessa saying “that’s a child”. Just like any clubs you go to, that have underage in them, nobody is thinking that.
Dominic1981
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

That isn't the great argument you think it is.

But anyway, you conveniently keep ignoring a key element in the AOC and that is the role of the adult who chooses to have sex with a minor, particularly those in a position of authority, and the influence they exert in manipulating that "consent" from the minor.

There may be many issues who this current society deals with responsibility and permission regarding minors, but opening the door up to pedophiles isn't one we should be emphasizing.

What is a position of authority? A boss? Teacher? Every company can set their own rules, and can certainly fire the person involved.

Should a 25 year old teacher who bangs a 16 year old student lose their job? Absolutely. I just don’t see it as a criminal matter. And when I see these very attractive women teachers , who probably get caught up pretending they are in HS again and with technology it’s easy to start a relationship- I don’t think it serves any purpose to put them on a sex offender list. It goes completely against physiology. Mature men are attracted to mature women. It’s biology. It’s human nature. It’s an impulse, that can and should be controlled on a personal level. What relationship is worth losing a career over? I haven’t seen any. But I don’t see any victims there. It’s two people making a choice.

Maybe you see 16 years old as a child no matter if they look and act like an adult? I don’t. I see them as an adult in all matters. For instance, if there’s a 16 year old gang banger that murders his rival, he should be tried as an adult and given a stiff sentence. He knows right from wrong at that age.

But again that’s another example of the morality zigzag line. A 16 year old isn’t old enough to consent to sex, but they are old enough to be tried as adults in violent crime cases (and should be).
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:
You guys probably should consult a dictionary in terms of what a pedophile is. I am certainly not one, nor have I advocated for such. Pedophilia is the attraction to prepubescents.

Actually, the definition doesn’t mention anything about puberty. It’s defined as an attraction to children. So yes, you fit the description (or at the very least, you are an advocate for those who sexualize and commit sex acts with children which is nearly as bad.)

Perhaps you’re just an advocate for pedophiles and have never physically engaged in such an act despite being a passionate defender for such behavior and perhaps it’s a coincidence you’ve chosen a profession that gives you close proximity to children who you are knowingly allowing into clubs despite it being illegal (another moral zag, I’m sure) and perhaps you’re keen on lowering the age of consent to around 16 and that just so happens to be the age of the children you find yourself around at your job and that’s a coincidence as well and perhaps your desire to return to the sexual politics of the 1800s has nothing to do with any of your personal desires. Anyone want to take a bet on it?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 76 of 80
Jump to: