Did you see Obama as a progressive hero in 2008?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Obama: 2008 Progressive Hero
Yes
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
No
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Did you see Obama as a progressive hero in 2008?

What were your expectations for Obama in 2008?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject:

Of course he was seen as progressive in 2008. He had one of the more liberal voting records in the Senate, and between he and Hillary, he was seen as the more liberal of the two, though their voting records weren't too far apart. I came across this:

His voting record in his first year in Washington, according to the annual rankings by National Journal, was more liberal than 82.5 percent of the Senate (compared with, for example, Mrs. Clinton’s 79.8 percent that year).

As far as using the word "hero", I don't know that I saw him as that; I did prefer Hillary during the campaign. However, I cried on the night of his election, when the giant headline flashed across the screen: BARACK OBAMA ELECTED PRESIDENT. It was such a powerful moment. Did he have a perfect presidency and did I agree with everything that he did? No, but given the absolute mess he inherited, and given that he conducted himself with such class and grace 99.9% of the time, I genuinely believe that history is going to be very kind to him. I think of him very fondly now, that's for sure.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject:

He was a solid progressive, though he has a sensible pragmatic awareness.

The Republican leadership promised, literally on day one, to be a cog in his wheel, and they truly honored that promise.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
He was a solid progressive, though he has a sensible pragmatic awareness.

The Republican leadership promised, literally on day one, to be a cog in his wheel, and they truly honored that promise.

REPUBLICANS OBAMA MUST FAIL

The GOP's no-compromise pledge

LINK
Quote:
Here’s John Boehner, the likely speaker if Republicans take the House, offering his plans for Obama’s agenda: “We're going to do everything — and I mean everything we can do — to kill it, stop it, slow it down, whatever we can.”

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell summed up his plan to National Journal: “The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.”

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: