Dwight Howard and Avery Bradley among players that do not want to play
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject:

I don’t understand why the league doesn’t put the players who don’t want to play stay at home, and for those who want to play can play.. it’s really not that difficult I know we are living in hard times and some of these guys aren’t mentally there to play but I know that lots of players want to play.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject:

Problem for the NBA is that the site of the bubble is Florida, where relaxed coronavirus restrictions have led to an uptick in infections. Don't forget MLS and WNBA have also chosen Florida as the site of their bubble to play out their season as well. So there are legitimate health concerns that are being addressed.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject:

Its only natural to be hesitant. Once things start to roll, the players competitive nature will start to kick in which should squash their initial concerns.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

"I can't in good conscience tell my brethren to throw away millions of dollars in order to create change that I don't see the direct impact of -- if there was a direct impact of laws changing, that would be a different story."

- Garrett Temple

Agree 100%
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:
I understand wanting to make a change to the often divided and damaged fabric of this country, but I don't see how refusing to play achieves the end result.

Hoping we can get back to full NBA basketball but maybe it won't happen in the end

It is more that some think that playing to make (mostly white) owners not loose money cheapens the message. Now if ownership were to donate that money to the cause it might look different.

Come back to us when you donate ur social security to some cause before asking owners to guns money to charity

I actually appreciate the answer he gave...

I think the flip side is that the NBA would imply thousands and thousands of non white team/league/network/Disney/ESPN employees.

Disney employees who go home after work to family and friends and aren’t being tested.

You kinda cherry picked one portion of what I said but if it's about Disney World employees, I'm willing to bet you could find many who are willing to be a part of the NBA bubble for a few months
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:
I understand wanting to make a change to the often divided and damaged fabric of this country, but I don't see how refusing to play achieves the end result.

Hoping we can get back to full NBA basketball but maybe it won't happen in the end

It is more that some think that playing to make (mostly white) owners not loose money cheapens the message. Now if ownership were to donate that money to the cause it might look different.

Come back to us when you donate ur social security to some cause before asking owners to guns money to charity

Read it again, i never asked the owners to give money to charity. Just that donating to BLM might convince the players that they are playing for more than to make money for others.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:

I actually appreciate the answer he gave...

I think the flip side is that the NBA would imply thousands and thousands of non white team/league/network/Disney/ESPN employees.

Disney employees who go home after work to family and friends and aren’t being tested.

You kinda cherry picked one portion of what I said but if it's about Disney World employees, I'm willing to bet you could find many who are willing to be a part of the NBA bubble for a few months

That is because it is a real concern of some players, they will be locked up while the chances of being infected by an employee who brings it from home is real. And Disney employees housing in the bubble isn’t a discussion.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Austin Rivers response to Kyrie's points:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EaZL7evXQAE29ht?format=jpg&name=large
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Dwight released a statement further clarifying his desire to cancel the season:

Quote:
“I agree with Kyrie (Irving). Basketball, or entertainment period, isn’t needed at this moment, and will only be a distraction. Sure it might not distract us the players, but we have resources at hand majority of our community don’t have. And the smallest distraction for them, can start a trickle down effect that may never stop. Especially with the way the climate is now. I would love nothing more than to win my very first NBA Championship. But the unity of My People would be an even bigger Championship, that’s just too beautiful to pass up. What better time than now for us to be focusing on our families?

“This is a rare opportunity that, I believe, we as a community should be taking full advantage of. When have we ever had this amount of time to sit and be with our families? This is where our Unity starts. At home! With Family!! European Colonization stripped us of our rich history, and we have yet to sit down and figure us out. The less distractions, the more we can put into action into rediscovering ourselves. Nations come out of families. Black/African American is not a Nation or Nationality. It’s time Our Families became their own Nations. No Basketball till we get things resolved.”

LINK
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:

Austin Rivers is right, players can play ball and still make a difference in society, he also has a good point that not playing this year could put the players in a bad spot and also the 2021 season in a bad spot.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Quote:
“I agree with Kyrie (Irving). Basketball, or entertainment period, isn’t needed at this moment, and will only be a distraction. Sure it might not distract us the players, but we have resources at hand majority of our community don’t have. And the smallest distraction for them, can start a trickle down effect that may never stop. Especially with the way the climate is now. I would love nothing more than to win my very first NBA Championship. But the unity of My People would be an even bigger Championship, that’s just too beautiful to pass up. What better time than now for us to be focusing on our families?

“This is a rare opportunity that, I believe, we as a community should be taking full advantage of. When have we ever had this amount of time to sit and be with our families? This is where our Unity starts. At home! With Family!! European Colonization stripped us of our rich history, and we have yet to sit down and figure us out. The less distractions, the more we can put into action into rediscovering ourselves. Nations come out of families. Black/African American is not a Nation or Nationality. It’s time Our Families became their own Nations. No Basketball till we get things resolved.”

LINK

There are a ton of false platitudes he's spouting and co-opting.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject:

I agree with Dwight. Looks like Dwight’s career is over since he won’t play until a resolution to the plight of BLM.

Got suckered by Kyrie.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Each player needs to make their own decision. Based on their own opinions, values and desires. A player doesn’t feel like playing he shouldn’t. But there also shouldn’t be any kind of negative judgement assigned to a player who chooses to play either.

Tend to agree with the opinion that playing provides opportunities beyond not playing. And really does not take away from the movement or possibilities of. change.

I’m guessing it will be a topic of conversation for every interview and announcer filling time. Video presentations and commercials with every game. The message will not be lost during any potential NBA playoffs.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Quote:

LINK

"No basketball til we get things resolved."

^But the million dollar quesrion is this: what exactly would a "resolution" look like? At what point do you think everything has been straightened out in a satisfactory way that makes you say, 'okay, back to basketball now'? I genuinely don't understand. And I can't help but question how much he and the other like-minded players have thought that part through.
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:26 am    Post subject:

Unbelievable this Dwight Howard fellow.....probably really just wants to stay home because of COVID-19 impact on his family. Which is fine. If he said this was the reason, I dont think many people would have anything negative to say about Dwight. The Kyrie BS (and yes it is straight BS) though is another story.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject:

What difference in the community has Austin Rivers made? What a joke. He misses his checks, that’s it.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Okay. Respect to him if he honors his words and essentially ends his career to make his statement, because the likelihood of the BLM Movement being resolved within the next couple of years is very, very low. What sucks is that this outrage will likely die down within a few months before another police atrocity caught on film that goes viral ignites it all over again, and that isn’t likely to change if NBA players end the season or not.

Best of luck to Dwight; he did a lot to redeem himself this season, even if it was sadly cut short. I don’t begrudge him the choice to choose to sit out games to spend time with his family and in support of protestors.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject:

I get it. As much as I would want to see this team go into the playoffs full force, including Dwight, everything that's going on right now has changed the way a lot of people think about how we should live our lives.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
drae wrote:

Austin Rivers is right, players can play ball and still make a difference in society, he also has a good point that not playing this year could put the players in a bad spot and also the 2021 season in a bad spot.

What difference in the community has Austin Rivers made? What a joke. He misses his checks, that’s it.

So what if he does “ miss his check”. That’s his right to want to provide for his family and self. Guys like Howard and Irving have the luxury of already made that generational money and career accomplishments.

They have earned their $100 million dollars and can retire to do whatever they want, social justice warrior or stay at home Dad as they choose.

Other players have a difference of opinion. Some may want to play for a variety of reasons. Including wanting to get the financial rewards that they have devoted their entire lives into earning.

Maybe I’m off base with how I interpreted your comment. But attempting to somehow shame Rivers or others for not “ supporting the cause” to your liking is ridiculous. Sadly we are seeing this type of public judgement all too often in recent days.

Rivers is a grown man stating his opinion. Can’t we respect that?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

LINK

There are a ton of false platitudes he's spouting and co-opting.

NBA players are used to giving cliched answers to cliched questions.

Yeah, it's a grandiose, meaningless hyperbola.

If starting up the NBA is all it takes to significantly distract from the BLM movement, the movement doesn't have much of a chance.

And when he says "til we get things resolved," what does that mean? I don't know, and I doubt Dwight does either.
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject:

This is why I was against bringing back Dwight the Clown. When you have a reputation as a
wasted talent with zero desire to win, you don"t say stuff like this. Now when the season retips, if he doesn"t put up double-double & 3 blocks every game, fans and teammates alike are gonna question his heart and desire like Kobe used to.

And wouldn"t it make more impact to donate all your game checks to BLM causes than to cancel the season? But then I"ve never known Dwight to be anything more than a selfish prick.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject:

I don’t blame Dwight. He has been through a lot recently, but Bomani Jones is right imo:

Quote:
dwight and kyrie mean well but...like, how long would this period of reflection be? you think this is something you work out in a few months? this project will take decades.

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/1272170491692924929?s=21
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
I don’t blame Dwight. He has been through a lot recently, but Bomani Jones is right imo:

Quote:
dwight and kyrie mean well but...like, how long would this period of reflection be? you think this is something you work out in a few months? this project will take decades.

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/1272170491692924929?s=21

There’s little doubt in my mind that the staying power of the current activist energy is due in large part to the quarantine and most of the regular news streams being shut down. It’s much easier to get people’s attention when most people are staying at home and the world is shut down. In that sense, I understand players viewing the league starting up again as a distraction from it. On the other hand, it’s also a large platform. Ratings will be through the roof and players will have worldwide microphones put in front of them.

Ultimately, I get the feeling Dwight will play. I don’t think we should begrudge players stopping to reflect and ask these questions right now. There’s something important going on in the country right now that is bigger than sports. We all want basketball back but Dwight is actually sacrificing money and his career for something he believes in. I hope he reconsiders but I can’t be mad at him for it if he doesn’t.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject:

^Not mad either. I fully support Dwight or any other player sitting out.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject:

What is a tangible outcome of this sitting out and canceling?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10
Jump to: