How do you feel about the season now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject:

Two opposing views are equally right.

1) If they cancel this season. That will kill the salary for most of the players in the league (everybody who isn't a superstar) when there's a new CBA.
2) Kyrie is right. Resuming the season will be an opiate that distracts the masses during a time where awareness (COVID and BLM) is more important than ever
Quote:
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
Sources: Kyrie Irving led a call of 80-plus NBA players, including Chris Paul/Kevin Durant/Carmelo Anthony/Donovan Mitchell, and Irving and several players spoke up about not supporting resumed season due to nationwide unrest from social injustice/racism.

I already spoke my peace in another thread. So many unprecedented variables make it MORE LIKELY than EVER. For the best team in the league NOT to win a chip. So I don't like it. I feel like some other team will win a chip this year that should be ours (if we had homecourt advantage, chemistry built through the season, normal life circumstances for our players, etc).
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

1) If they cancel this season. That will kill the salary for most of the players in the league (everybody who isn't a superstar) when there's a new CBA.
2) Kyrie is right. Resuming the season will be an opiate that distracts the masses during a time where awareness (COVID and BLM) is more important than ever
Quote:
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
Sources: Kyrie Irving led a call of 80-plus NBA players, including Chris Paul/Kevin Durant/Carmelo Anthony/Donovan Mitchell, and Irving and several players spoke up about not supporting resumed season due to nationwide unrest from social injustice/racism.

I already spoke my peace in another thread. So many unprecedented variables make it MORE LIKELY than EVER. For the best team in the league NOT to win a chip. So I don't like it.

I'm pretty certain I quickly read that the NBA have the right to just tear up the CBA? So a worst case scenario, the players refuse to take to the court, the NBA loses many billions, the NBA rips up the CBA, new max salary less than 20 million ...
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
I'm pretty certain I quickly read that the NBA have the right to just tear up the CBA? So a worst case scenario, the players refuse to take to the court, the NBA loses many billions, the NBA rips up the CBA, new max salary less than 20 million ...

Dudley has been trying to convey this message. He has been outspoken about it on twitter.

I would really becareful if I was the NBAPA and the players. It’s not only the losses from this season, but also the very realistic scenario of no fans for 2020-21 season.

That will be a major dip in revenue and the salary cap will take a significant hit.

It’s imperative the players understand this. The cap would be like hockey where there is huge gap in salaries. $80M would be like a $40M supermax, $20M #2 and $20M combined on the rest of the roster.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Quote:
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

I already spoke my peace in another thread. So many unprecedented variables make it MORE LIKELY than EVER. For the best team in the league NOT to win a chip. So I don't like it. I feel like some other team will win a chip this year that should be ours (if we had homecourt advantage, chemistry built through the season, normal life circumstances for our players, etc).

The NBA is just entertainment. If they put on a good show, and the Lakers are progressing, I'll pay attention. If it's boring, and the Lakers get booted out, I won't.

I don't care about their finances. The risk they want to take with their health is their business. If they want to sit out as some kind of protest, I'm not sure what that would accomplish or exacting what they would be asking for.

On the concerns of life, where 10 is the most important, the NBA is about a 3.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you feel about the season now?

lakersboy wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
Has your enthusiasm grown, remained the same, or lessened in the past 3 months?

Do you expect an exciting finish, or do you expect to be underwhelmed?

If i didn't cover your viewpoint, feel free to include it.

Personally, I wonder if the health of the players will remain solid because their behavior and interaction with others affects everyone involved.

With no audible fan support, it seems like it will feel like watching scouting combine action that may rise to the level of summer league action by the latter rounds. It's going to feel strange.

It feels like watching the Summer League. I have vested interest in some players and I'm rooting for the Lakers but it doesn't "feel" like a championship of high value is on the line. Maybe once it's going that will change.

If the Lakers win a ring, it will probably be have an asterisk with it, and it probably won't be anywhere near as exciting as any other championship.

Couldn't care less. A ring is a ring. One ties Boston. Two beats them. JUST WIN THE CHIP.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject:

I can't wait to be able to see live games again. It will be different for sure but I am going to be optimistic and hope it works. And the Lakers win the championship of course. Probably is going to have sort of a summer league feel as someone mentioned but if the Lakers are playing well, I'll watch for sure.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:11 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
drae wrote:

Dudley has been trying to convey this message. He has been outspoken about it on twitter.

I would really becareful if I was the NBAPA and the players. It’s not only the losses from this season, but also the very realistic scenario of no fans for 2020-21 season.

That will be a major dip in revenue and the salary cap will take a significant hit.

It’s imperative the players understand this. The cap would be like hockey where there is huge gap in salaries. $80M would be like a $40M supermax, $20M #2 and $20M combined on the rest of the roster.

I hope they take a huge hit, bunch of spoiled athletes whining about being bubbled up without access to strippers in a bubble
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
drae wrote:

It would be whatever is negotiated. I don’t think that ownership has a problem with the current CBA, everyone was making money. I think that they would ask for more relief from dropping TV revenue and a disaster like COVID. I could see them asking the players to carry more of that burden.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
I'm hoping for the best but I think it's a bad idea to restart now. Somebody gets sick and dies as a result and it won't be worth it. Plus the whole thing just feels gimmicky. But we'll soon see.

After hearing more about players who have reservations, I’m starting to think more like you. It feels like we could be compared to ancient Romans who were entertained by watching Christians be fed to the lions. If 1 person dies from apparent exposure to other players, imo, it will have been a big mistake to play into the political viewpoint that we need to return to normal, no matter what.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
kwase wrote:
I'm hoping for the best but I think it's a bad idea to restart now. Somebody gets sick and dies as a result and it won't be worth it. Plus the whole thing just feels gimmicky. But we'll soon see.

After hearing more about players who have reservations, I’m starting to think more like you. It feels like we could be compared to ancient Romans who were entertained by watching Christians be fed to the lions. If 1 person dies from apparent exposure to other players, imo, it will have been a big mistake to play into the political viewpoint that we need to return to normal, no matter what.

I honestly have a bad feeling about this.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
kwase wrote:

I have to ask, are you expecting the world to be frozen in time and locked in a sealed room forever?

The same argument of "if one person dies..." can be attached to any profession or part of society. If one fast food worker dies ? If one Amazon driver dies? If one business owner? If one politician, celebrity or protester dies... is it worth it?

Or can we understand and accept the risks of a world wide health crisis. There are risks in everything we do, and will likey have some level of risk for months if not a year or more.

Are you suggesting the standard is now "if one person dies it is not worth it".

Sorry, can't agree with you. Life has to move on to be LIFE.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I have to ask, are you expecting the world to be frozen in time and locked in a sealed room forever?

The same argument of "if one person dies..." can be attached to any profession or part of society. If one fast food worker dies ? If one Amazon driver dies? If one business owner? If one politician, celebrity or protester dies... is it worth it?

Or can we understand and accept the risks of a world wide health crisis. There are risks in everything we do, and will likey have some level of risk for months if not a year or more.

The difference is the death is foreseeable and preventable. If you sold a fast food device that you knew could kill a fast food worker. Or an Amazon factory robot that could kill a worker. Ya. You shouldn't do that. That's wrong, and preventable.

Not all deaths are the same. The way Florida and the nation as a whole has approached reopening has been reckless. In most areas there still is minimal contact tracing if any at all. And the hospitalizations and bodybags reflect that.

It's easy to say reopen as a fan. But if you have to be the guy to go and console the family members if someone dies. Would you tell them your "sealed room" philosophy?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
kwase wrote:

Right now, everyone is making their own decision about the risk-reward of different activities -- should I go to work; should I join a protest; should I go to a restaurant; should I go to the supermarket.

Some of those people will get sick as a result of their choice, and some will die.

You and I make those risk-reward choices every day. NBA players will have to as well, like everyone else.

And we might be making these choices for years. The quickest vaccine ever developed in human history (for mumps) took 4 years. So it's anyone's guess if/when covid-19 will be gone, or if we'll just have to consider it a risk for the foreseeable future.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
kwase wrote:

If my son was part of the NBA, NFL, or other sports with close contact, I wouldn't want him to risk his health. I feel the same way about the others, such as those like Javale who have higher risk factors. I understand many/most won't agree with me, but that's how I feel. Nothing about professional sports makes it highly necessary.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

The difference is the death is foreseeable and preventable. If you sold a fast food device that you knew could kill a fast food worker. Or an Amazon factory robot that could kill a worker. Ya. You shouldn't do that. That's wrong, and preventable.

Not all deaths are the same. The way Florida and the nation as a whole has approached reopening has been reckless. In most areas there still is minimal contact tracing if any at all. And the hospitalizations and bodybags reflect that.

It's easy to say reopen as a fan. But if you have to be the guy to go and console the family members if someone dies. Would you tell them your "sealed room" philosophy?

Maybe I missed something... why are you introducing "robots and killer food devices" to a conversation about a virus?

Anyone going into public is at risk. and I agree that some gatherings of people have been reckless by nature. But lets be fair from a simple scientific basis of causation of the infection rate.

Few people have had much to say about the possibility of infection rates escalating due to thousands of protesters screaming for hours while spreading the mucus from getting tear gassed. Yet a restaraunt can't open or we have to remain 6ft apart because someone might get sick?

Lets face it. The NBA players will be tested, isolated and protected and have less of a chance of getting the virus over that month then you or I do going to the supermarket.

Players can choose not to play. I'm not sure how many of us really have that option to "not go to work" because of the threat of infection or to "keep the cause" going. At some point , life goes on... hopefully with some social changes and awareness that we didn't have before.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Fans can't force the NBA to re-open, and they can't force the players to play.

If the players, after carefully considering the risk, decide to play, I don't see why anyone is responsible for what happens to them except the players themselves.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
kwase wrote:

If someone close to you was an employee that had to bring them food, or clean their hotel rooms, or come in close contact with others as a result of them restarting the season then maybe, and I'm saying maybe, you'd see my point. The one thing I absolutely hate is when someone on TV or the radio is talking about the pandemic and says "We're all in this together". No we are not. America is extremely divided and hard-headed. That's why we are #1 in cases and deaths. It's why when the quarantine first started everyone rushed out to buy all the toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Because people only care about themselves in this country. "If it doesn't affect me, then why should I care". There are two very, very important issues taking place right now...both a matter of life and death, so forgive me if I don't think playing a kids game is all that important right now.

And we've always pretty much been on the same page 4 Decade, but we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
kwase wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
kwase wrote:

If someone close to you was an employee that had to bring them food, or clean their hotel rooms, or come in close contact with others as a result of them restarting the season then maybe, and I'm saying maybe, you'd see my point. The one thing I absolutely hate is when someone on TV or the radio is talking about the pandemic and says "We're all in this together". No we are not. America is extremely divided and hard-headed. That's why we are #1 in cases and deaths. It's why when the quarantine first started everyone rushed out to buy all the toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Because people only care about themselves in this country. "If it doesn't affect me, then why should I care". There are two very, very important issues taking place right now...both a matter of life and death, so forgive me if I don't think playing a kids game is all that important right now.

And we've always pretty much been on the same page 4 Decade, but we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

No worries. Doubt we can or even should agree 100% of the time.

From my point of view, I am thinking of those hotel workers that will going back to work and gaining a paycheck. We could be looking at hundreds if not thousands of people getting back to work if the NBA reopens.

Think how much of a ripple effect is in play. The hotels staff , maintenance, delivery, media, TV crews, marketing, NBA team support, etc.

One small segment of society gets moving. Then the next one and the one after. Take sensible and necessary precautions, test, and move on.

I hope they choose to play and not just to watch some games.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
kwase wrote:

And the NBAPA lead (apologize, I don’t remember her name) has come out and said that she expects positive tests in Orlando.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
kwase wrote:

Life does have to move on, I never stopped working, my company is essential. The NBA is not essential, they don’t have to play. We need to see what pressure the league puts the players under to show up and play. If they resort to threatening with the CBA and something bad happens, the league should be held responsible. Don’t play and you have 8-9 months to move all our lives forward.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
kwase wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
kwase wrote:

No worries. Doubt we can or even should agree 100% of the time.

From my point of view, I am thinking of those hotel workers that will going back to work and gaining a paycheck. We could be looking at hundreds if not thousands of people getting back to work if the NBA reopens.

Think how much of a ripple effect is in play. The hotels staff , maintenance, delivery, media, TV crews, marketing, NBA team support, etc.

One small segment of society gets moving. Then the next one and the one after. Take sensible and necessary precautions, test, and move on.

I hope they choose to play and not just to watch some games.

Yeah, both of my parents are in Vegas and then onto Arizona trying to catch up on business. I'd rather them obviously not be in either spot as they're both far from "safe". At the same time people have to get back to work and even though financial reasons are huge it's also a mental thing, all these people that are used to being out all the time and suddenly cooped up in the house for months and months is also not healthy at all either. Anyone that doesnt feel "safe" is still more then welcome to stay home if they can financially and mentally survive that way fine. I'm lucky to be able to work mostly from home but at this point I believe the individual person deserves to decide for themselves.

No huge deal to me at this point if they play the season or not but to act like it's just simply a "kids game" that offers nothing but entertainment is a bit short sighted to say the least imo. If they can't get a safe system in place where at least most of the people involved are on board then shut it down until next season and re-evaluate.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Maybe I missed something... why are you introducing "robots and killer food devices" to a conversation about a virus?

Anyone going into public is at risk. and I agree that some gatherings of people have been reckless by nature. But lets be fair from a simple scientific basis of causation of the infection rate.

Few people have had much to say about the possibility of infection rates escalating due to thousands of protesters screaming for hours while spreading the mucus from getting tear gassed. Yet a restaraunt can't open or we have to remain 6ft apart because someone might get sick?

Lets face it. The NBA players will be tested, isolated and protected and have less of a chance of getting the virus over that month then you or I do going to the supermarket.

Players can choose not to play. I'm not sure how many of us really have that option to "not go to work" because of the threat of infection or to "keep the cause" going. At some point , life goes on... hopefully with some social changes and awareness that we didn't have before.

I think that people are vastly overrating the level of isolation these players will have. Some will come and go as they please. The NBA can threaten to quarantine them for 7 days (14 for us mere mortals) but does anyone really believe that if Lebron leaves, the Lakers and NBA will lose him for potentially 3-4 games?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I think that people are vastly overrating the level of isolation these players will have. Some will come and go as they please. The NBA can threaten to quarantine them for 7 days (14 for us mere mortals) but does anyone really believe that if Lebron leaves, the Lakers and NBA will lose him for potentially 3-4 games?

I disagree with you 100%. No way will the NBA put a bubble in place, and then let the players break the bubble, while reporters write how the NBA isn't following its own rules. The NBA would look terrible and increase their liability if anyone gets sick and dies.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We need to see what pressure the league puts the players under to show up and play. If they resort to threatening with the CBA and something bad happens, the league should be held responsible. Don’t play and you have 8-9 months to move all our lives forward.

If there's any pressure, it would probably come less from the league than from teammates if a guy on a truly contending team sits out. How much pressure can the league really put on a guy, like, oh, Kyrie Irving who has enough for money for 100 lifetimes?

The stars -- who the ones the NBA cares about -- have all the FU money in the world.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Also in 6 weeks time the virus in America should, SHOULD, be a lot more controlled.

But I'm in Australia and we locked everything down early so we're pretty much coronavirus free (also nobody wants to travel to Backward Oztraylia so that helped also...)

But I think that in 6 weeks time things should be a lot better? And this is coming from someone who said everyone was understating how bad it was when it first came out, so I'm not a guy who's constantly been understating how bad the virus is.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: