jonnybravo wrote:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/colorado-passes-sweeping-police-reform-bill/

Let's get this going!

All local and state police officers must wear body cameras by 2023
Body camera footage must be made public

Chokeholds are prohibited

Shooting at fleeing suspects is prohibited

Deadly force can only be used if a person's life is imminent danger

Police must report every instance in which they stop someone who they suspect of a crime; they must also include that person's race, gender, and ethnicity

Police must report other officers for wrongdoing

Officers can be held personally liable for damages up to $25,000 if they are found guilty of violating an individual's civil rights

That's a decent start, but true reform has to run far deeper. It needs to involve a wholesale change in the role LE plays in certain situations. For example, domestic violence cases need to involve conflict resolution experts, not a collection of armed cops. Petty crimes (like Floyd passing a bogus 20) need a response team of officers whose only role is to cite, just like a speeding ticket or jaywalking ticket.

My Bolded

They aint gonna snitch. They know they are criminals and it is just like snitching .. just on a criminal cop.

But if the bolded ever gets close to reality it is a Huge impact

Dorner was effectively removed from all CA Police Duties for Snitching on cops who beat minorities who resisted but let whites do the same (bleep) and don't even document it in the arrest... or rough them up
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
The vitriol against drunk driving on this site is pretty high. Many here have referred to it as attempted murder when some athlete or other high profile individual does it. It's basically throw the book at them with no remorse. Now it's ok let him walk it off ... Lol

So it's your contention that it is OK for a law enforcement officer to kill a drunk driving suspect on the spot for attempting to escape? Particularly when they could have arrested him at a later time?

Yeah that's exactly what I said. /s]

Your sarcasm was clearly aimed at the idea letting him “walk it off’. The obvious message from that is that the alternative was what occurred, to make sure he didn’t, at all cost.

Have some integrity. Just (bleep) own it man. If you’re going to talk ugly, be the ugliness that your words carry. There’s no point in doing otherwise.

My original comment was to the point of the way the crime of drunk driving has been perceived on this message board. Not your strawman response. People have regularly posted how drunk driving was the equivalent of attempted murder. Now the narrative has changed because of an arrest gone bad. But I was not even talking about that. I was talking about how this board feels about drunk driving.

What if officers let him go sleep it off in his car? And he later decides to go for a ride and hits and kills someone. They would have been pilloried for not doing their job.

Own your own (bleep) and don't put words into my mouth.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
The vitriol against drunk driving on this site is pretty high. Many here have referred to it as attempted murder when some athlete or other high profile individual does it. It's basically throw the book at them with no remorse. Now it's ok let him walk it off ... Lol

So it's your contention that it is OK for a law enforcement officer to kill a drunk driving suspect on the spot for attempting to escape? Particularly when they could have arrested him at a later time?

Your sarcasm was clearly aimed at the idea letting him “walk it off’. The obvious message from that is that the alternative was what occurred, to make sure he didn’t, at all cost.

Have some integrity. Just (bleep) own it man. If you’re going to talk ugly, be the ugliness that your words carry. There’s no point in doing otherwise.

My original comment was to the point of the way the crime of drunk driving has been perceived on this message board. Not your strawman response. People have regularly posted how drunk driving was the equivalent of attempted murder. Now the narrative has changed because of an arrest gone bad. But I was not even talking about that. I was talking about how this board feels about drunk driving.

What if officers let him go sleep it off in his car? And he later decides to go for a ride and hits and kills someone. They would have been pilloried for not doing their job.

Talk about strawman. No "narrative changed". No one condoned drunk driving. They simply said that drunk driving wasn't a capital crime, and certainly not one that cops in the street are able to be judge, jury and executioner for.

Your words were clear. You condemned the idea that letting him get away was not a reasonable option compared to killing him.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Brooks failed a sobriety test. I don't know about Georgia but here in Los Angeles he wouldn't be allowed to drive a vehicle until his BAC was at or below the state level. .08

If he were under arrest he should have been read his rights. It was a botched encounter from the beginning and ended in a disaster.

My fear is the aftermath if Rolfe's not given a sentence that satisfied the general public in Atlanta.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject:

The whole reason anyone of any race is as compliant and polite as Brooks was is because they are praying they avoid jail and handcuffs.. HUGE lifechanger.. who is there to take care of your life and do you instantly lose your job if you cannot make bail etc

Stupid cop is still chatting with him and goes to grab his hands because "He" has determined Brooks is unsafe to drive.. ALLLL that (bleep) talking for this horrible ending...

Sort of emotional right now and I have read this whole story a few times.. THIS OFFICER... Clone him ASAP.. Promote him to Presidential Trainer

The story brings a tear to my eye.

*Big idea... Black Lives Matter could use his picture as an example of how to police

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=officer+Tim+Purdy
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Talk about strawman. No "narrative changed". No one condoned drunk driving. They simply said that drunk driving wasn't a capital crime, and certainly not one that cops in the street are able to be judge, jury and executioner for.

Your words were clear. You condemned the idea that letting him get away was not a reasonable option compared to killing him.

Again that's not what I said. Some commenters here thought he should be allowed to sleep it off and should not have been arrested at all. When he made the choice to fight the police things break down to where you have cops making rapid and sometimes bad decisions. These decisions are not in a vacuum. It can end badly as it did. If Mr Brooks did not fight with the police he would have been alive today. Chances are he would have been OR'ed the next morning. He bore the consequences of his bad decisions as well.

Now I will use your own tactics... So you are saying that resisting arrest for any and all relatively minor crimes should be accepted and maybe even encouraged because the police should be trained to accept being beaten and disarmed. In fact passing out drunk in the drive thru lane of fast food restaurants should be encouraged behaviour. Please note that everything after "So you say" is complete and utter (bleep).
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/colorado-passes-sweeping-police-reform-bill/

Let's get this going!

All local and state police officers must wear body cameras by 2023
Body camera footage must be made public

Chokeholds are prohibited

Shooting at fleeing suspects is prohibited

Deadly force can only be used if a person's life is imminent danger

Police must report every instance in which they stop someone who they suspect of a crime; they must also include that person's race, gender, and ethnicity

Police must report other officers for wrongdoing

Officers can be held personally liable for damages up to $25,000 if they are found guilty of violating an individual's civil rights

That's a decent start, but true reform has to run far deeper. It needs to involve a wholesale change in the role LE plays in certain situations. For example, domestic violence cases need to involve conflict resolution experts, not a collection of armed cops. Petty crimes (like Floyd passing a bogus 20) need a response team of officers whose only role is to cite, just like a speeding ticket or jaywalking ticket.

The biggest get is this though:

"The bill also states that 'qualified immunity is not a defense to liability,' blocking a practice that is common nationwide."

To me, that's far and away the most important piece. We can put more and more regulations on LEO's but taking away the shield they hide behind when committing misconduct is the biggest step to accountability.

Absolutely. That's where it starts. The "a few bad apples" attitude has to be put to rest permanently. And then in addition to removing the shield you speak of, it's time to start removing the need for the shield by identifying the types of public interactions that don't require an armed response by an enforcement presence and reassigning those interactions to people specialized in resolving the issues as opposed to focusing on taking people into custody.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject:

I've been talking to my son since the death of George Floyd. He's been on the force for 30 years. He'll be retiring soon. Tells me he's never seen the changes he's seeing now.

Floyd plus Brooks is going to make a difference in policy. It won't change personalities, racist is what racist does. Whether the Blue Shield will be dented is a wait and see.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Three men caught vandalizing a Black Lives Matter sign in Ventura. One of the men is an employee of the sheriffs department, another is an employee of the Ventura county DA. Neither are sworn personnel, nor were they on duty at the time of the vandalism, according to the article.

LINK
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Didn't know where to put this, but it seems appropriate for this thread. There was a noose found in Bubba Wallace's garage today at Talladega. Just absolutely sickening, and someone made the point that, in this day and age of COVID-19, there are many more restrictions. Meaning that not very many people would have had access to that area. So it was most likely a crew member of one of the race teams, or a NASCAR employee of some kind.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-06-21/noose-found-bubba-wallace-nascar-garage-talladega
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject:

We will be lucky to get out of this summer without some major riots going on somewhere. People have focused their rage amazingly well. But the house is on fire and racist a-holes keep throwing more gas on. Feels like something is eventually going to take things to another level at some point.
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Brooks failed a sobriety test. I don't know about Georgia but here in Los Angeles he wouldn't be allowed to drive a vehicle until his BAC was at or below the state level. .08

If he were under arrest he should have been read his rights. It was a botched encounter from the beginning and ended in a disaster.

My fear is the aftermath if Rolfe's not given a sentence that satisfied the general public in Atlanta.

Isn't failing a sobriety test an automatic arrest though? I've never taken one because I've never been in that situation, so I don't know. Yeah, why weren't Brooks' rights read to him...unless you don't get read your rights when you are merely being "detained" rather than arrested?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject:

^^^ I think so, can't say for sure. If you're not being arrested why would you be handcuffed? At any rate you should be informed of your status.

They do it to kids too. Watch as they put a bag over this kids head and a hand on his neck. Go to full screen to get a better visual.

LINK

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:50 am; edited 2 times in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Didn't know where to put this, but it seems appropriate for this thread. There was a noose found in Bubba Wallace's garage today at Talladega. Just absolutely sickening, and someone made the point that, in this day and age of COVID-19, there are many more restrictions. Meaning that not very many people would have had access to that area. So it was most likely a crew member of one of the race teams, or a NASCAR employee of some kind.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-06-21/noose-found-bubba-wallace-nascar-garage-talladega

That was my first thought. Some yahoo isn't going to be able to sneak into the garage area with a noose, find Bubba's garage without some kind of official credential - or at least being a track employee.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject:

cisternachyli wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Isn't failing a sobriety test an automatic arrest though? I've never taken one because I've never been in that situation, so I don't know. Yeah, why weren't Brooks' rights read to him...unless you don't get read your rights when you are merely being "detained" rather than arrested?

They need to be read when you are questioned while detained or under arrest in order for those statements to be used as evidence in court. If they are not read, statements made after being arrested might not be used against you in court. It’s just in the movies where they need to be read to be arrested.

Quote:
When the Miranda Warning Is Required

It doesn't matter whether an interrogation occurs in a jail, at the scene of a crime, on a busy downtown street, or the middle of an open field: If a person is in custody (deprived of his or her freedom of action in any significant way), the police must read the Miranda rights if they want to ask questions and use the answers as evidence at trial.
If someone is not in police custody, however, no Miranda warning is required and anything the person says can be used at trial. Police officers often avoid arresting people—and make it clear to them that they're free to go—precisely so they don't have to give the Miranda warning. Then they can arrest the suspect after getting the incriminating statement they wanted all along. (For more detail, see our article on the meaning of "custodial interrogation.")

SOURCE
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject:

You cannot make this stuff up. I hope these 8 COs sue the pants off that jail and get MILLIONS.

https://www.ibtimes.com/minnesota-jail-only-allowing-white-guards-around-george-floyds-accused-killer-derek-2998333

Quote:
Minnesota Jail Only Allowing White Guards Around George Floyd's Accused Killer Derek Chauvin

Quote:
Eight non-white corrections officers in Minnesota have filed racial discrimination charges against the jail housing former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, according to the Star-Tribune. Chauvin is being held at the Ramsey County Adult Detention Center on charges of murder for the death of George Floyd.

Chauvin arrived at the detention center on May 29 following his arrest. The officers said Superintendent Steve Lydon ordered all non-white officers to separate the floor and told to avoid contact with Chauvin. In the discrimination charges, Lydon allegedly said the officers’ race made them a potential “liability” if anything were to happen to Chauvin after he arrived.

“I understood that the decision to segregate us had been made because we could not be trusted to carry out our work responsibilities professionally around the high-profile inmate — solely because of the color of our skin,” the acting sergeant, who is Black but has not released his name, said in the filing. “I am not aware of a similar situation where white officers were segregated from an inmate.”

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
You cannot make this stuff up. I hope these 8 COs sue the pants off that jail and get MILLIONS.

https://www.ibtimes.com/minnesota-jail-only-allowing-white-guards-around-george-floyds-accused-killer-derek-2998333

Quote:
Minnesota Jail Only Allowing White Guards Around George Floyd's Accused Killer Derek Chauvin

Quote:
Eight non-white corrections officers in Minnesota have filed racial discrimination charges against the jail housing former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, according to the Star-Tribune. Chauvin is being held at the Ramsey County Adult Detention Center on charges of murder for the death of George Floyd.

Chauvin arrived at the detention center on May 29 following his arrest. The officers said Superintendent Steve Lydon ordered all non-white officers to separate the floor and told to avoid contact with Chauvin. In the discrimination charges, Lydon allegedly said the officers’ race made them a potential “liability” if anything were to happen to Chauvin after he arrived.

“I understood that the decision to segregate us had been made because we could not be trusted to carry out our work responsibilities professionally around the high-profile inmate — solely because of the color of our skin,” the acting sergeant, who is Black but has not released his name, said in the filing. “I am not aware of a similar situation where white officers were segregated from an inmate.”

Helps the jurors see how racist he is/was.
Afraid his non white officers would poison him or harm him?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject:

2 dead, 12 hurt after over 100 shots fired at big crowd at outdoor Charlotte party
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article243705947.html
By Mark Price and

Laurel Deppen
June 22, 2020 05:53 AM , Updated 40 minutes ago

Horrific scene... people run over by cars.. not one witness has come forward yet

Was it outside agitators?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

The George Floyd affect
Quote:
Lydon has since been demoted but remains employed by the Minnesota Department of Corrections at the center.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Not sure if this belongs here but I truly didn't know Nascar had it in them.

https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/29347848/richard-petty-attend-talladega-support-bubba-wallace

These sumbitches are going to make me start watching people turn left for a living aren't they?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/29347848/richard-petty-attend-talladega-support-bubba-wallace

These sumbitches are going to make me start watching people turn left for a living aren't they?

The only way I can watch NASCAR is if it involves Cole Trickle and Rowdy Burns and Russ Wheeler.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

The only way I can watch NASCAR is if it involves Cole Trickle and Rowdy Burns and Russ Wheeler.

How 'bout Ricky Bobby?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

How 'bout Ricky Bobby?

I'm not the biggest Will Ferrell fan. He's very hit or miss for me. I didn't even like Step Brothers and that seems to be a minority opinion. A little off-topic for this thread, I suppose.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

How 'bout Ricky Bobby?

Bo & Luke Duke
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

How 'bout Ricky Bobby?

Bo & Luke Duke

How bout Daisy Duke

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
Page 47 of 76
Jump to: