View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
lakeshow03 wrote:
I’m 31, so I’ve seen some rallies and protests to bring change with not much changing, but this one feels different.

For you guys that are a bit older, does it seem that way for you as well?

The question is always, "how does this translate to real change? What are the NEXT steps when this all settles down?

Sure, let's say for the sake of argument that it leads to a blue tsunami in November and we take back the White House and Senate. What then? What happens with all the governors, judges, mayors, police chiefs and beat cops to effect change? How do we reverse the disenfranchisment, institutionalized discrimination, and attitudes? The one thing I learned since 2008 and especially since 2016 is how much hatred was bubbling just beneath the surface. I thought we had made progress since the 1950s and 1960s -- but it merely went underground, changed forms, just lying there in wait for someone to tell them it was okay again. How do we change THAT?

How is a blue tsunami at the national level going to fix this? These are local cops, in deep-blue cities with deep-blue local government administration at all levels. If it were simply a matter of voting blue, this would have already been solved decades ago, as most of these cities have been under single-party rule for ages.

No, this is going to necessitate a serious look at the relationships between police and local prosecutors, accountability to local citizen review boards, and more.

For what it’s worth I am seeing a lot more attention being called to vote in local elections too, not just the big ones, as the catalyst for change. Hopefully this will inspire a lot of younger people to get involved with politics as well, as it seems it’s unavoidable not to even to a small degree at this point.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1267327498339127298
Thousands March for BLM/George Floyd in New Zealand

Damn that gave me goose bumps. Good on yah Kiwis!

Have to Believe it can be real. Faith in Humanity!

Migrant lives matter.. legit
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Here it comes

Quote:
Louisville, Ky., resident David McAtee was shot and killed during a police response to a curfew violation early Monday. Both police and National Guard members were on the scene and fired shots. The incident has led to the firing of the police chief.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/01/867281529/louisville-police-chief-fired-after-black-man-is-shot-to-death

Last edited by ContagiousInspiration on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Peaceful protest just walked past Staples Center. Probably a couple hundred people I'm guessing. Maybe more.

They were greeted by 15 military vehicles. 14 being those hummer tank things. 1 being those big trucks where they have a ton of soldiers in the back. Multiple helicopters in the air. Countless cops on bikes surrounding them. Civilian and police vehicles following them.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject:

There are at least a couple hundred protestors in Anaheim on Anaheim Blvd. right now, near the Anaheim Ice complex and not far from City Hall, which is cordoned off by police. Curfew here is in 3 minutes.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject:

https://lawandcrime.com/crazy/police-union-doxxed-nyc-mayors-daughter-after-she-was-arrested-during-protest/?utm_source=mostpopular

TOO MANY Police want to be FEARED not helpful or protective

Quote:
The Sergeants Benevolent Association, a New York City police union, released records for Mayor Bill de Blasio‘s daughter Chiara de Blasio, who was charged amid the weekend protests. But in doing so, the organization released some of her personal information. This reportedly included her social security number and address.

Eliza Orlins, a public defender running for Manhattan district attorney, took this position:

It appears @SBANYPD unlawfully released unredacted private information about @NYCMayor‘s daughter tonight. Will Manhattan DA Cy Vance investigate and hold them accountable for this violation of privacy?

Likely not. Further highlighting the change we need in the DA’s office. pic.twitter.com/5XwDfJcggN

— Eliza Orlins (@elizaorlins) June 1, 2020
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
lakeshow03 wrote:
I’m 31, so I’ve seen some rallies and protests to bring change with not much changing, but this one feels different.

The question is always, "how does this translate to real change? What are the NEXT steps when this all settles down?

Sure, let's say for the sake of argument that it leads to a blue tsunami in November and we take back the White House and Senate. What then? What happens with all the governors, judges, mayors, police chiefs and beat cops to effect change? How do we reverse the disenfranchisment, institutionalized discrimination, and attitudes? The one thing I learned since 2008 and especially since 2016 is how much hatred was bubbling just beneath the surface. I thought we had made progress since the 1950s and 1960s -- but it merely went underground, changed forms, just lying there in wait for someone to tell them it was okay again. How do we change THAT?

How is a blue tsunami at the national level going to fix this? These are local cops, in deep-blue cities with deep-blue local government administration at all levels. If it were simply a matter of voting blue, this would have already been solved decades ago, as most of these cities have been under single-party rule for ages.

No, this is going to necessitate a serious look at the relationships between police and local prosecutors, accountability to local citizen review boards, and more.

For what it’s worth I am seeing a lot more attention being called to vote in local elections too, not just the big ones, as the catalyst for change. Hopefully this will inspire a lot of younger people to get involved with politics as well, as it seems it’s unavoidable not to even to a small degree at this point.

The one that gets me is why juries don't hold officers accountable the rare times they are charged? There's no wink-wink relationship there. Are they afraid of retaliation? Do they really buy into the cops can do no wrong line?
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:

I'm 49 and I have zero faith in the human race. There are always going to be people that hate for no reason other than the color of someone's skin. Unless these people are removed from earth completely then it will continue.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
lakeshow03 wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
lakeshow03 wrote:

The one that gets me is why juries don't hold officers accountable the rare times they are charged? There's no wink-wink relationship there. Are they afraid of retaliation? Do they really buy into the cops can do no wrong line?

Both. And as the famous quote goes, people tend to be more interested in order than justice.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

When an Officer goes to work on the streets, he operated under very strict Rules of engagement. These ROE's are dictated to them by their superiors. Many of these ROE's seem counterintuitive to we in the general public, but Officers are clearly aware that violation of those ROE'S are one of the surest paths to losing their jobs. Thosea ROE's generally operates under the guise of "Officer Safety". Plenty of Officers have lost their jobs for NOT drawing their weapons and firing when the ROE"s dictate they should. In this case ROE"s regarding proper detainment procedures were not followed and is one of the reasons you see so many Police coming out against the Officer in question. They all know he violated ROE.

Until you see ROE's change, don't expect a wave of change in successful prosecutions in use of force cases because it:s near impossible to successfully convict an Officer who does what he was instructed to do. This case has a good chance of success because the officer in question was violative of ROE. We need Citizen review boards to be involved in the eecrafting of ROE"s if we expect to se substantive change. Until that occurs,. It'll continue to be business as usual.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject:

The DC cops had been rounding up protestors near Bloomingdale and a good Samaritan opened their doors to about 100 stray protestors earlier tonight. The cops surrounded the place and are picking off anyone who leaves one by one so folks inside are waiting out the curfew/shift change until morning.

JFC, what ludicrously terrible federal and local institutions this country has.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Here it comes

Quote:
Louisville, Ky., resident David McAtee was shot and killed during a police response to a curfew violation early Monday. Both police and National Guard members were on the scene and fired shots. The incident has led to the firing of the police chief.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/01/867281529/louisville-police-chief-fired-after-black-man-is-shot-to-death

Quote:
officers on the scene had not activated their body cameras

Should be immediate termination.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
lakeshow03 wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
lakeshow03 wrote:

Both. And as the famous quote goes, people tend to be more interested in order than justice.

These incidents also usually happen in the cities, and they move the trial venue to the counties. It's rigged.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Here it comes

Quote:

Quote:
officers on the scene had not activated their body cameras

Should be immediate termination.

The Chief was fired. If there is a bigger flag that the fish stinks from the head, I don't know what it is.

Police REFORM is the only way things get better. It has to be blown out and the vacancy will be profound. Which will raise whole other issues. But at least it's a start.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Meanwhile, in Long Beach: https://twitter.com/richardgrant88/status/1267523353289474048
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Justin Amash
@justinamash
Qualified immunity was created by the Supreme Court in contravention of the text of the statute and the intent of Congress. It is time for us to correct their mistake.

Justin Amash
@justinamash
My bill, the Ending Qualified Immunity Act, does this by explicitly noting in the statute that the elements of qualified immunity outlined by the Supreme Court are not a defense to liability.

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1267267253143248903

This would go a long way to getting things under control
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lawmakers Begin Bipartisan Push to Cut Off Police Access to Military-Style Gear

The effort to end a program transferring surplus military equipment from the Pentagon to the police reflects a revived bipartisan concern about excessive use of force by law enforcement.

WASHINGTON — Republicans and Democrats in Congress have begun a new push to shut down a Pentagon program that transfers military weaponry to local law enforcement departments, as bipartisan urgency builds to address the excessive use of force and the killings of unarmed black Americans by the police.

With protests turning violent across the country, lawmakers are scrutinizing the Defense Department initiative — curtailed by former President Barack Obama but revived by President Trump — that furnishes police departments with equipment such as bayonets and grenade launchers. The move comes after several nights when officers wearing riot gear have been documented using pepper spray and rubber bullets on protesters, bystanders and journalists, often without warning or seemingly unprovoked.

[..]

Senator Brian Schatz, Democrat of Hawaii, who has long pressed to limit the transfer of military-grade equipment to police departments, announced that he would move to include an amendment in the must-pass annual defense policy bill to shut down the program entirely.

[...]

In response to stark images of heavily armed police confronting unarmed protesters in armored vehicles in Ferguson, Mr. Obama placed limits on that program in 2015, restricting the transfer of weapons, including battering rams and explosives, from the Pentagon to local police. The Pentagon reported in 2017 that 126 tracked armored vehicles, 138 grenade launchers and 1,623 bayonets had been returned since Mr. Obama prohibited their transfer.

But Mr. Trump rescinded those restrictions in 2017, opening the flow of equipment to police departments. He argued the gear was necessary for officers to protect themselves and their communities.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/01/us/politics/police-military-gear.html

And this.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Meanwhile, in Long Beach: https://twitter.com/richardgrant88/status/1267523353289474048

Aww hell no. That dick has a gun pointed at a baby. Daddy needs to take her home and keep her safe but who the hell points a gun at a baby girl like that? Or baby boy, I can't tell.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:

Aww hell no. That dick has a gun pointed at a baby. Daddy needs to take her home and keep her safe but who the hell points a gun at a baby girl like that? Or baby boy, I can't tell.

A police officer’s job is to protect and to serve. There are few images that exemplify how lost that concept is for law enforcement than that one. That officer should have that weapon by his side and be explaining to that father and child that he is only there to make sure they are safe and not establishing himself as a threat.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
SweetP wrote:

A police officer’s job is to protect and to serve. There are few images that exemplify how lost that concept is for law enforcement than that one. That officer should have that weapon by his side and be explaining to that father and child that he is only there to make sure they are safe and not establishing himself as a threat.

That no-neck freak is pointing a gun, with his finger on the trigger, at a toddler holding a bag of chips, sitting on daddy's shoulders.
This is America. Welcome to your world little one, I'm so sorry.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject:

My heart is heavy. I've been watching the looting and it truly saddens me but more angers me to see the majority of the looters are my Black people. I mist as I ink this. Looters make the reason for the protests, the murder of George Floyd, lose some importance. THIS IS WHY

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
My heart is heavy. I've been watching the looting and it truly saddens me but more angers me to see the majority of the looters are my Black people. I mist as I ink this. Looters make the reason for the protests, the murder of George Floyd, lose some importance. LINK

A great way for cops to stop looters is to stop tear-gassing peaceful protestors and focus on arresting looters.

Here's video of LAPD handcuffing the owners of a liquor store who were trying to point out people looting their store who then got away: https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1267641851215036416
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject:

The DC cops had been rounding up protestors near Bloomingdale and a good Samaritan opened their doors to about 100 stray protestors earlier tonight. The cops surrounded the place and are picking off anyone who leaves one by one so folks inside are waiting out the curfew/shift change until morning.

JFC, what ludicrously terrible federal and local institutions this country has.

Update: the homeowner, Rahul, has ordered pizza for everyone while the cops have tried to gain entry by 1) falsely saying they received a 911 call, and 2) by sending a plainclothes pig stripped of his armor as a "protestor" in need of help (who was turned away).

This is pathetic and perverse from DC cops.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject:

A thing underdiscussed is how riot cops and national guardsmen in protest areas are actively slashing car tires and breaking car windows whenever they have the opportunity. On city streets, in parking lots, etc. What kind of training is that?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:

Actually I read further... The Officer wasn't pointing it directly at the man and the child.. From farther away the officers eyes are looking quite a bit to the mans left

It seems they actually allowed him to stand there for quite awhile
https://twitter.com/skxgloomy/status/1267591083799703552/photo/1
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
Page 25 of 76
Jump to: