A white woman has apologized after calling police on a black man and saying 'there's an African American man threatening my life'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
If someone allows their dog to crap on your lawn, is it "narc behavior" or "over-policing" for you to ask the owner to pick it up?

Of course not. You very reasonably ask me to pick it up and I refuse. What do you do next?

Take a picture of you, your dog and the poop. Give them to authorities and pot them on social media.

How far would you follow me to take a picture of me and my dog?

Wouldn't have to follow you, do it on the spot.

Can't argue with that.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject:

I'm just now realizing I've been too much of a doormat my whole life and I need to start documenting every interaction in which someone doesn't follow the letter of the law, especially if it annoys or inconveniences me in any way, with the implicit threat of public shaming or ("no narc") sending it to the cops.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
If someone allows their dog to crap on your lawn, is it "narc behavior" or "over-policing" for you to ask the owner to pick it up?

Of course not. You very reasonably ask me to pick it up and I refuse. What do you do next?

This was white privilege vs white privilege. But the more privileged white guy (DA of NY) had the upper hand.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject:

The nice part of living in the age of social media is that these racist mfers cannot get away with their actions any longer. The lady was fired by her employer yesterday. Source: LINK
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

This was white privilege vs white privilege. But the more privileged white guy (DA of NY) had the upper hand.

I might need to check out that show.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Well, depending on the way in which you refused, I'd most likely grab one the poop bags I have handy because I have three dogs and am not an inconsiderate ahole, pick up the poop, securely tie the bag closed, walk it over to you and politely ask that you find the closest, appropriate receptacle and then sit back and listen while you to call me "deranged".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Well, depending on the way in which you refused, I'd most likely grab one the poop bags I have handy because I have three dogs and am not an inconsiderate ahole, pick up the poop, securely tie the bag closed, walk it over to you and politely ask that you find the closest, appropriate receptacle and then sit back and listen while you to call me "deranged".

Weirdo
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Take a picture of you, your dog and the poop. Give them to authorities and pot them on social media.

He didn’t follow her. He took video of her doing the thing she’s not supposed to be doing that is ruining the area for its intended purpose.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Amy was invited to appear on Don Lemon with Christian. As far as I know she didn't honor the invite.

Christian is taking the high road.

Christian Cooper is asking people to stop making death threats against the woman who called the cops on him

LINK

Quote:
The woman, Amy Cooper, said in earlier comments to CNN she wanted to "publicly apologize to everyone." Lemon's team invited the woman Monday to appear on the show alongside Christian Cooper but had not heard back from her by Tuesday night.

Quote:
"I find it strange that people who were upset that ... that she tried to bring death by cop down on my head, would then turn around and try to put death threats on her head. Where s the logic in that?" he said. "Where does that make any kind of sense?"

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed May 27, 2020 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

He didn’t follow her. He took video of her doing the thing she’s not supposed to be doing that is ruining the area for its intended purpose.

Neither was the "ruining" taking place on private property, so the whole analogy was broken from the beginning.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Neither was the "ruining" taking place on private property, so the whole analogy was broken from the beginning.

You can define the bold green as ruining the area.

Quote:
He asked her to keep her dog on a leash (per the law) because dogs tear up the vegetation in an area that is known for it's bird watching. Asking people to be courteous towards a public area is hardly being a "Karen" and to compare him to the type of vile person who would put someone's freedom and well being at risk because they were offended by being asked to be considerate is very much missing the point.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:
He asked her to keep her dog on a leash (per the law) because dogs tear up the vegetation in an area that is known for it's bird watching. Asking people to be courteous towards a public area is hardly being a "Karen" and to compare him to the type of vile person who would put someone's freedom and well being at risk because they were offended by being asked to be considerate is very much missing the point.

That's one impressive dog.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:

That's one unimpressive response.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:

That's one unimpressive response.

Touché
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Anyway, apropos of the top two threads on the forum, I figured I could post Elie Mystal's scathing and accurate op-ed synthesizing the police murder of a black man in Minnesota and the attempted murder of a black man in Central Park here:

Quote:
There’s Only One Possible Conclusion: White America Likes Its Killer Cops

Quote:
The police work for white people, and they know it. White people know it too. Deep down, white people know exactly whom the police are supposed to protect and serve, and they damn well know it's not black and brown people. We saw some video of that too, over the weekend. Amy Cooper was walking in Central Park with her dog. Her dog was off its leash, in violation of park rules and city ordinances. A bird-watcher, Christian Cooper, who happens to be black, asked her to follow the rules. Instead of just putting her dog on a leash, Amy decided to use Christian's race against him. She first threatened to call the cops, and then did just that, claiming that an African American man was threatening her in the park.

The very instant that Amy Cooper felt she needed the support of institutionalized racism to get her through her morning, she knew exactly where to find it. She knew exactly whom to call. Amy Cooper was the one in violation of the rules. Yet there she was, calling the cops. No doubt, it wouldn’t have even occurred to her to call them to the scene of her lawlessness if not for the way cops tend to harass, jail, and, yes, murder people who look like Christian Cooper. Or George Floyd. Or Eric Garner. Or Terence Crutcher. Or Alton Sterling. Or Emantic Fitzgerald Bradford Jr. Or Amadou Diallo.

Quote:
It doesn't have to be this way. It is entirely within the scope of white power in America to rein in its police. White people could elect mayors and prosecutors who are committed to police reform. White judges and juries could hold the police accountable for their crimes. White Republicans could challenge and eventually break the power of police unions just as easily as they break teachers' unions or any labor union that stands in the way of rapacious capitalism. If a majority of white people decided, today, that racist policing should end, we'd start seeing changes to police forces by the middle of next week.

But white people do not stop their cops. A majority of them want the cops to behave this way. They want the viciousness. They want the horror. Why? It's not just that a majority of white America probably thinks Amy Cooper did the right thing in her specific situation; it's that they think they will one day be in a situation where Amy's actions are justified. One day they might be alone in a park around a strange black man, and what might happen then? Sure, Christian Cooper seems like "nice" black person, but what if he weren't? What if he were a "mean" or "aggressive" black person, and you were just alone in the park, illegally walking your dog? Best to keep brutal, dangerous, and racist cops around, because, hey, you never know.

White people think they might one day be Amy Cooper and they want to have somebody to call, just in case. They know they’ll never be Christian Cooper. Making a society that's safe for Christian Cooper to bird-watch while black just isn't the most important thing to a majority of white America.

Oh, a bunch of white people will be performatively outraged and saddened by Amy Cooper's behavior. They'll gladly participate in her online dragging. But when it comes to neutering the police so that the Amy Coopers of the world don't have that kind of privilege and power over the Christian Coopers of the world, most of those white people will fall silent.

By the same token, white people will participate in the outrage over specific murders, like George Floyd's murder or Breonna Taylor. They will join in calls to bring individual racists to account, like Amy Cooper or Gregory and Travis McMichael. But when it comes time to deal with institutional purveyors of racism, as opposed to individual bad actors, the outrage and support of the white community is not there. We see that disconnect on display now as police use the coronavirus to threaten and harass black and brown people.

Quote:
Most black people know what happens when cops are given power, but we can't get 51 percent of white people to do anything about it. We can't get New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, who centered his first mayoral campaign on his opposition to stop-and-frisk, to take a stand against the racist actions of his police force. We can't get the white people who are willing to gather in large crowds to enjoy a spring day to gather in a large crowd to protest at City Hall.

Why would they? White people are not ignorant and they're not blind. They see the racial bias in policing, and they know that bias benefits them. They know they're not going to catch a beatdown for not wearing a mask. They know they're not going to be choked to death on the street in broad daylight. They know that having racist police officers around gives them incredible power, and power makes people feel good even if they never use it. I’ve been in rooms where I've heard white people congratulate themselves for not calling the cops on some black person, as if declining the option to use terrorism against a black person was some kind of proof of liberal good faith.

Black people have tried, again and again, to end the horror of police brutality against us. We march, we protest, we educate, we vote. We teach our children a special set of rules. We produce art and literature and music documenting our pain. We start organizations and movements. And yet we can't achieve structural change in policing because a majority of white America always sets its will against us. White people in our own communities, our alleged “friends and neighbors,” consistently vote and act in ways that empower the police and ignore their brutality against us.

White people could put their police dogs on a leash. But they won't. And more black and brown people will get mauled and killed until white people decide to do better. More black people will die like George Floyd, because most white people want to live like Amy Cooper.

Link: The Nation
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Spot on. The murder of Black people by police is a White problem. It's a pandemic where one group of people spread the disease and a different group dies from it. It won't stop until white people own it and stop it. Do your part.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject:

For those criticizing the black man, what should bird watchers like him do?

How should he better handle owners who refuse to leash their dogs?

If you’re going to criticize, at least offer some sort of solution?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Ignore it and move on.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Ignore it and move on.

Turn in your man card!

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Ignore it and move on.

Turn in your man card!

I have wasted enough of my life already, but the absolute most pointless time I've ever spent is scolding strangers for being inconsiderate/violating norms/breaking petty laws/etc.

I probably should turn in my man card. That man's man John Wayne would always step up and make sure folks followed the letter and spirit of every law, and I just can't muster up the indignity, pride, or energy to follow in his footsteps.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Spot on. The murder of Black people by police is a White problem. It's a pandemic where one group of people spread the disease and a different group dies from it. It won't stop until white people own it and stop it. Do your part.

100%
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

100%

150%
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject:

If the dog was on a leash and still ripped up some foliage in Central Park...how to reconcile...?
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject:

If the dog was on a leash and still ripped up some foliage in Central Park...how to reconcile...?

You know, your rationalizations are getting wilder every post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

You know, your rationalizations are getting wilder every post.

My "rationalizations" for what?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9
Jump to: