Would the Bulls have won in 1999? Scottie thinks they win 2 more.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 29378

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Would the Bulls have won in 1999? Scottie thinks they win 2 more.

Steve007 wrote:
In The Last Dance MJ is clearly upset that the Bulls couldn’t stay together and take another shot at a ring in 1999, even calling it “maddening.” He said he felt the team was just as dominant in 1998 as it was in the first championship in 1991.

Back in September Pippen and Rodman were asked how long the team could have kept it going and Pippen thinks they could have won 2 more. His reasoning is the team that gave them the most trouble was Utah, and the Jazz were just as old if not even older than the Bulls.

Rodman said it makes him mad because they had legs for 50 games and they would have gotten a long break to rest before the 1999 season.

Assuming the Bulls kept the team together, it means no Phil Jackson in LA (Kurt Rambis stays as head coach), no Pippen in Portland and I guess no Ron Harper in LA.

How long could the Bulls have kept their run going?


Athletes will always think they would have won a hypothetical matchup

Reality: who knows?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
panamaniac
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 9531
Location: PTY

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Any team with Jordan and Pippen is contending regardless of season or era. However injuries can strike at any moment, and the Bulls for the most part managed to evade them during their 90s runs, which only means they would have been due in '99. Injuries killed Magic and Kareem's bid for a three peat in '89 as well as Golden State's in '19. That's what usually happens to teams that are making deep playoff runs year in and year out. One of the things that adds to the lore of the 90s Bulls, is that like The Beatles in music, they managed to walk away right before things fell apart (and they 100% would have, if not for injury, then for ego). So you never really got to see them fade away.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 37934

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
How do they stop Duncan/Robinson or Shaq the year after?


https://youtu.be/R4gDMMAyt3A?t=1h2m

Watch how the Bulls comeback from 27 points to start the fourth quarter .
_________________
“God knew they couldn’t be on this Earth without each other. He had to bring them home to heaven together.”

— Vanessa Bryant
https://youtu.be/SX3IZULkWx8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 11193

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
How do they stop Duncan/Robinson or Shaq the year after?

A more interesting question is whether they would have won in 1994 and 1995 if MJ hadn’t retired and been able to win 8 in a row.


I think they win in 1994. Jordan retired somewhere in Sep.-Oct. not long before the season started, and the Bulls kept their whole core together (most significant losses were Trent Tucker and Stacey King who played 10mpg in the 1993 playoffs) with Paxson-Armstrong-Pippen-Grant-Cartwright all staying, but them also adding Kerr, Kukoc and Longley, important pieces for the 2nd 3peat (also Pete Myers, but you could argue they dont sign him if Jordan stayed). Armstrong and Grant elevated their play to allstar level along with Pippen and the team was much deeper. I think that team had the best shot at a 4peat ever along with us in 2003.

1995 is a different story, Grant left and they had no inside defense with still no Rodman on the team. Harper was a good addition but thats not solving their interior defense issues. Maybe a not-straight-out-of-retirement Jordan gets them over the Magic somehow, but the Rockets with Hakeem-Drexler would be too much imo.

About 1999, i think they would have to slightly rebuild to make a push. Jordan-Pippen was still the best duo in the league and Rodman could still defend and grab boards. But the Spurs might have been a difficult matchup, different to their previous opponents. Im not familiar with their contract situations in the summer of 1998, but i imagine they would have to do a trade for someone to help Rodman defend Duncan and Robinson, plus they were running on fumes vs Utah so some fresh legs would have been much welcome. Its crazy, if things played out slightly differently, we are looking at a potential 2 times 4peat team


I looked up the numbers for MJ in the 95 playoffs and they were great. Unless he was worse on defense (which is a possibility) I doubt he could have done much better even at 100%. I think having no Grant/Rodman was a bigger problem.

MJ never won without Pippen, but I would add that he never won without a big 3 on his team.

The Bulls never had much trouble in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs from 1996-1998. It reminds me of Lebron James and the Miami Heat in some of those years, except the Bulls had it even easier. Chicago didn’t really see any serious threats until the conference finals. They were able to coast thru the first 2 rounds. One reason MJ lost in 95 is the East was tougher then.

It seemed like every year I thought to myself that this was the year a team from the East would beat Lebron and the entire conference would disappoint me. We might have seen something similar from the Bulls in 1999 and 2000. Unless Indiana could do something about that.


They lost in 6 but the last 2 games were single digit losses. He still was the elite scorer because well, he's MJ, but I don't think the impact of playing yourself into the playoffs through a training camp and full season is to be underestimated. I'm not claiming they beat the Magic but in this scenario their chances are higher.

He never had a big3 if you ask me, they never had a 3rd star.

1999 and 2000 are much tougher to tell than 1995 and 1994 imo, because I can't really tell what their team would look like in those years. Healthy Jordan and Pippen = contender, but to go all the way other pieces must fit


I thought Grant and Rodman were borderline all-stars. I’m not sure a big third scorer would have done more for them. A player like that would mean MJ and Scottie shoot the ball less. MJ called Rodman one of the smartest teammates he ever had. The Bulls needed rebounding, defense and a guy that fit in as a team player more than they needed another 20 ppg scorer IMO.

And Grant actually did score around 12-14 ppg in addition to his rebounds, steals, blocks, etc. I was even impressed with what Grant did with the 2001 Lakers and that was a washed up version of him.

I would have loved to see a Grant or Rodman in his prime with Shaq/Kobe.

I think they possibly beat the Magic too if MJ had a training camp and an entire season with that team. Hard to say. Maybe they even win 60 and get the #1 seed, but even in that scenario they are much more beatable than the 72 win team with Rodman and the matchup with the Magic is much more even.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 26603

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
How do they stop Duncan/Robinson or Shaq the year after?


https://youtu.be/R4gDMMAyt3A?t=1h2m

Watch how the Bulls comeback from 27 points to start the fourth quarter .


We all know they breathed a lot easier after we were knocked out in the West. They didn't want that smoke. By the 1999-2000 season? Those aging Bulls would have been obliterated by the Lakers.
_________________
KOBE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 29378

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:


He never had a big3 if you ask me, they never had a 3rd star.


Dennis Rodman was a Hall of Famer, DPoY, who led the league in rebounding 7 straight years.

That's a star to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 11193

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
How do they stop Duncan/Robinson or Shaq the year after?


https://youtu.be/R4gDMMAyt3A?t=1h2m

Watch how the Bulls comeback from 27 points to start the fourth quarter .


We all know they breathed a lot easier after we were knocked out in the West. They didn't want that smoke. By the 1999-2000 season? Those aging Bulls would have been obliterated by the Lakers.


I once started a thread on here asking how the 98 Lakers would do agsinst the 98 Bulls in a hypothetical Finals matchup. I was surprised that almost nobody thought the Bulls would lose. The most common opinion by far was the Bulls would win in 4 or 5 games.

LINK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Jun 2017
Posts: 1139

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
How do they stop Duncan/Robinson or Shaq the year after?

A more interesting question is whether they would have won in 1994 and 1995 if MJ hadn’t retired and been able to win 8 in a row.


I think they win in 1994. Jordan retired somewhere in Sep.-Oct. not long before the season started, and the Bulls kept their whole core together (most significant losses were Trent Tucker and Stacey King who played 10mpg in the 1993 playoffs) with Paxson-Armstrong-Pippen-Grant-Cartwright all staying, but them also adding Kerr, Kukoc and Longley, important pieces for the 2nd 3peat (also Pete Myers, but you could argue they dont sign him if Jordan stayed). Armstrong and Grant elevated their play to allstar level along with Pippen and the team was much deeper. I think that team had the best shot at a 4peat ever along with us in 2003.

1995 is a different story, Grant left and they had no inside defense with still no Rodman on the team. Harper was a good addition but thats not solving their interior defense issues. Maybe a not-straight-out-of-retirement Jordan gets them over the Magic somehow, but the Rockets with Hakeem-Drexler would be too much imo.

About 1999, i think they would have to slightly rebuild to make a push. Jordan-Pippen was still the best duo in the league and Rodman could still defend and grab boards. But the Spurs might have been a difficult matchup, different to their previous opponents. Im not familiar with their contract situations in the summer of 1998, but i imagine they would have to do a trade for someone to help Rodman defend Duncan and Robinson, plus they were running on fumes vs Utah so some fresh legs would have been much welcome. Its crazy, if things played out slightly differently, we are looking at a potential 2 times 4peat team


I looked up the numbers for MJ in the 95 playoffs and they were great. Unless he was worse on defense (which is a possibility) I doubt he could have done much better even at 100%. I think having no Grant/Rodman was a bigger problem.

MJ never won without Pippen, but I would add that he never won without a big 3 on his team.

The Bulls never had much trouble in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs from 1996-1998. It reminds me of Lebron James and the Miami Heat in some of those years, except the Bulls had it even easier. Chicago didn’t really see any serious threats until the conference finals. They were able to coast thru the first 2 rounds. One reason MJ lost in 95 is the East was tougher then.

It seemed like every year I thought to myself that this was the year a team from the East would beat Lebron and the entire conference would disappoint me. We might have seen something similar from the Bulls in 1999 and 2000. Unless Indiana could do something about that.


They lost in 6 but the last 2 games were single digit losses. He still was the elite scorer because well, he's MJ, but I don't think the impact of playing yourself into the playoffs through a training camp and full season is to be underestimated. I'm not claiming they beat the Magic but in this scenario their chances are higher.

He never had a big3 if you ask me, they never had a 3rd star.

1999 and 2000 are much tougher to tell than 1995 and 1994 imo, because I can't really tell what their team would look like in those years. Healthy Jordan and Pippen = contender, but to go all the way other pieces must fit


I thought Grant and Rodman were borderline all-stars. I’m not sure a big third scorer would have done more for them. A player like that would mean MJ and Scottie shoot the ball less. MJ called Rodman one of the smartest teammates he ever had. The Bulls needed rebounding, defense and a guy that fit in as a team player more than they needed another 20 ppg scorer IMO.

And Grant actually did score around 12-14 ppg in addition to his rebounds, steals, blocks, etc. I was even impressed with what Grant did with the 2001 Lakers and that was a washed up version of him.

I would have loved to see a Grant or Rodman in his prime with Shaq/Kobe.

I think they possibly beat the Magic too if MJ had a training camp and an entire season with that team. Hard to say. Maybe they even win 60 and get the #1 seed, but even in that scenario they are much more beatable than the 72 win team with Rodman and the matchup with the Magic is much more even.


Yes but neither would have been the best players on a team on their own, they're supporting cast players. Excellent ones, but still no stars
_________________
Mic 17 99 19
22 44 13 25
52 33 32 42
34 8 24 16
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Jun 2017
Posts: 1139

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:


He never had a big3 if you ask me, they never had a 3rd star.


Dennis Rodman was a Hall of Famer, DPoY, who led the league in rebounding 7 straight years.

That's a star to me.


Dennis Rodman could never ever carry a franchise on his own, that's a role player to me.

Draymond Green is another example. You see all his limitations without Steph and Klay. I never thought of him as an all-star, even when he was selected
_________________
Mic 17 99 19
22 44 13 25
52 33 32 42
34 8 24 16
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 29378

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:


He never had a big3 if you ask me, they never had a 3rd star.


Dennis Rodman was a Hall of Famer, DPoY, who led the league in rebounding 7 straight years.

That's a star to me.


Dennis Rodman could never ever carry a franchise on his own, that's a role player to me.

Draymond Green is another example. You see all his limitations without Steph and Klay. I never thought of him as an all-star, even when he was selected



I never thought of Trump as the president, but he still gets to live in the White House and issue executive orders.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Jun 2017
Posts: 1139

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:


He never had a big3 if you ask me, they never had a 3rd star.


Dennis Rodman was a Hall of Famer, DPoY, who led the league in rebounding 7 straight years.

That's a star to me.


Dennis Rodman could never ever carry a franchise on his own, that's a role player to me.

Draymond Green is another example. You see all his limitations without Steph and Klay. I never thought of him as an all-star, even when he was selected



I never thought of Trump as the president, but he still gets to live in the White House and issue executive orders.


I'm not american so I don't really care about Donald. Not that it had anything to do with the topic but oh well
_________________
Mic 17 99 19
22 44 13 25
52 33 32 42
34 8 24 16
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 18673

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Would the Bulls have won in 1999? Scottie thinks they win 2 more.

I think it's doubtful. Rodman looked done by 1999, to say he was washed up might not be too much of an overstatement if it is one at all. He was still capable of the kind of performance you think of when you think of Rodman, but could no longer do it every game. I know someone will probably disagree with that, but his mind and emotional balance (he walked a tightrope a la Tyson) had already retired. His body was following suit even tho he was in good shape. He was done.

Pippen himself wasn't that great in 99, tho it was in a bad situation for him. He was still decent in 99 and 2000, but no longer the Pippen of 97. In 98, he was holdin on to prior form for them to squeak out another title. Taken to 7 by Indiana who shouldn't have done that. They matched up better against the Jazz and had more experience in closing big games than the Jazz than we did. You could expect Malone to choke and he did in those 2 years at the worst moments. I don't know if they were gonna take out SA just as easily. I think they were broken up at the right time. If they were to win in 1999, it probably would've been a real squeaker or an upset. The 50 wins would've helped them perhaps, but that and then another full year of grind, and 2 more full playoff runs after how many of those since 91? That's a lot of road to hoe. And maybe the eternal layoff before 99 hurts them like it did most teams, including Indy and Utah to an extent, even the Lakers looked like crap for most of that season.

Pippen is talking like Brawn did with that 5, 6, 7 jive. It's easy to SAY you're gonna 3 or 4 peat. Doing it is another ballgame. I'm sure Scott was positive he was gonna kick ass w/ Chuck and Hakeem in HOU and he thought the Blazers were a lock in 2000 with his experience. After his fumble at the end of Gm1 in 99, HOU press called him "Ham Hands" (ham handed). Surely, in his MIND, his experience wouldn't allow him such a mistake, but in reality, uh oh... After Porty's Gm 3 loss in 2000, he attacked a stack of towels. Ultimately, the games have to be played out and he was proven wrong twice. His ego is still healthy enough for him to project 2 years into the future that never happened.

https://youtu.be/yYzsdPa_QmI?t=829

https://youtu.be/HLvVfHtpk1M?t=605
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
SEDALE TRIBUTE
EDDIE DONX!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Posts: 4014

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Would the Bulls have won in 1999? Scottie thinks they win 2 more.

non-player zealot wrote:
I think it's doubtful. Rodman looked done by 1999, to say he was washed up might not be too much of an overstatement if it is one at all. He was still capable of the kind of performance you think of when you think of Rodman, but could no longer do it every game. I know someone will probably disagree with that, but his mind and emotional balance (he walked a tightrope a la Tyson) had already retired. His body was following suit even tho he was in good shape. He was done.

Pippen himself wasn't that great in 99, tho it was in a bad situation for him. He was still decent in 99 and 2000, but no longer the Pippen of 97. In 98, he was holdin on to prior form for them to squeak out another title. Taken to 7 by Indiana who shouldn't have done that. They matched up better against the Jazz and had more experience in closing big games than the Jazz than we did. You could expect Malone to choke and he did in those 2 years at the worst moments. I don't know if they were gonna take out SA just as easily. I think they were broken up at the right time. If they were to win in 1999, it probably would've been a real squeaker or an upset. The 50 wins would've helped them perhaps, but that and then another full year of grind, and 2 more full playoff runs after how many of those since 91? That's a lot of road to hoe. And maybe the eternal layoff before 99 hurts them like it did most teams, including Indy and Utah to an extent, even the Lakers looked like crap for most of that season.

Pippen is talking like Brawn did with that 5, 6, 7 jive. It's easy to SAY you're gonna 3 or 4 peat. Doing it is another ballgame. I'm sure Scott was positive he was gonna kick ass w/ Chuck and Hakeem in HOU and he thought the Blazers were a lock in 2000 with his experience. After his fumble at the end of Gm1 in 99, HOU press called him "Ham Hands" (ham handed). Surely, in his MIND, his experience wouldn't allow him such a mistake, but in reality, uh oh... After Porty's Gm 3 loss in 2000, he attacked a stack of towels. Ultimately, the games have to be played out and he was proven wrong twice. His ego is still healthy enough for him to project 2 years into the future that never happened.

https://youtu.be/yYzsdPa_QmI?t=829

https://youtu.be/HLvVfHtpk1M?t=605

what else is there to say? everything you said there is correct and beautifully said.

Fisher is so underrated.

edit...
i just realized....that pippen fumble is essentially the exact same shot attempt as MJ's hero shot on Bryon. Except instead of of MJ vs Bryon, it was Scottie vs Kobe. Notice how Kobe's defense is much better than Bryon's in dealing with the pushoff. And notice how it's the fact that Kobe doesn't budge during the pushoff that scottie loses the ball. This is why Scottie is not MJ. I do feel we are being a little hard on him though. He's still a MUCH better player than lbj at just about everything. And that's not trying to be funny.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 29378

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:


He never had a big3 if you ask me, they never had a 3rd star.


Dennis Rodman was a Hall of Famer, DPoY, who led the league in rebounding 7 straight years.

That's a star to me.


Dennis Rodman could never ever carry a franchise on his own, that's a role player to me.

Draymond Green is another example. You see all his limitations without Steph and Klay. I never thought of him as an all-star, even when he was selected



I never thought of Trump as the president, but he still gets to live in the White House and issue executive orders.


I'm not american so I don't really care about Donald. Not that it had anything to do with the topic but oh well



I'll make it straightforward.

You might "think" of Rodman as a "role player." However, in reality he was a Hall of Famer. If a Hall of Famer can be a "role player," I don't know what the term "role player" is supposed to mean.

You might not "think" of Greene as an all-star. However, in reality he has made the all-star team three times. If a three-time all-star isn't an all-star, I don't know what the term "all star" is supposed to mean either.

I think this is really semantics. You are simply saying that Rodman and Green aren't MVP-level players or they couldn't be the #1 player on a ring team or some such. However, I'd say that's the case for a lot of the #3 guys who are thought of as Big 3s.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Jun 2017
Posts: 1139

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:30 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:


He never had a big3 if you ask me, they never had a 3rd star.


Dennis Rodman was a Hall of Famer, DPoY, who led the league in rebounding 7 straight years.

That's a star to me.


Dennis Rodman could never ever carry a franchise on his own, that's a role player to me.

Draymond Green is another example. You see all his limitations without Steph and Klay. I never thought of him as an all-star, even when he was selected



I never thought of Trump as the president, but he still gets to live in the White House and issue executive orders.


I'm not american so I don't really care about Donald. Not that it had anything to do with the topic but oh well



I'll make it straightforward.

You might "think" of Rodman as a "role player." However, in reality he was a Hall of Famer. If a Hall of Famer can be a "role player," I don't know what the term "role player" is supposed to mean.

You might not "think" of Greene as an all-star. However, in reality he has made the all-star team three times. If a three-time all-star isn't an all-star, I don't know what the term "all star" is supposed to mean either.

I think this is really semantics. You are simply saying that Rodman and Green aren't MVP-level players or they couldn't be the #1 player on a ring team or some such. However, I'd say that's the case for a lot of the #3 guys who are thought of as Big 3s.


I never said Rodman shouldn't be in the HOF, just said he wasn't a "star". Call it superstar, allstar, franchise player, whatever, but he was never a player to carry a NBA team. He made the HOF for his 5 rings and rebounding records, but that's a separate thing. The term role player to me is someone who isn't what I described here. Someone who can't carry a team but rather plays a supportive role. Rodman was elite at his (defense and rebounding), but still a role player.

As for Green, it's true he made the allstar but undeserving. To me, he was never one of the 24 best players in the NBA, or rather, best 12 in the WC. If he wasn't in that GS he'd have never made it, I'm convinced.

Not necessarily MVP level players, Miami and Boston of recent years are good examples. Bosh, Wade, James, Garnett, Pierce, Allen were all #1 guys on their teams before teaming up. Worthy could have been #1 on a different team. Barkley, Drexler, Hakeem as well, though you could argue they weren't or were barely in their primes. You could argue about a lot of big 3s, but the essence of the term is basically 3 franchise players on a same team, which Rodman and Grant weren't.
_________________
Mic 17 99 19
22 44 13 25
52 33 32 42
34 8 24 16
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 26603

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:07 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:


He never had a big3 if you ask me, they never had a 3rd star.


Dennis Rodman was a Hall of Famer, DPoY, who led the league in rebounding 7 straight years.

That's a star to me.


Dennis Rodman could never ever carry a franchise on his own, that's a role player to me.

Draymond Green is another example. You see all his limitations without Steph and Klay. I never thought of him as an all-star, even when he was selected



I never thought of Trump as the president, but he still gets to live in the White House and issue executive orders.


I'm not american so I don't really care about Donald. Not that it had anything to do with the topic but oh well



I'll make it straightforward.

You might "think" of Rodman as a "role player." However, in reality he was a Hall of Famer. If a Hall of Famer can be a "role player," I don't know what the term "role player" is supposed to mean.

You might not "think" of Greene as an all-star. However, in reality he has made the all-star team three times. If a three-time all-star isn't an all-star, I don't know what the term "all star" is supposed to mean either.

I think this is really semantics. You are simply saying that Rodman and Green aren't MVP-level players or they couldn't be the #1 player on a ring team or some such. However, I'd say that's the case for a lot of the #3 guys who are thought of as Big 3s.


I never said Rodman shouldn't be in the HOF, just said he wasn't a "star". Call it superstar, allstar, franchise player, whatever, but he was never a player to carry a NBA team. He made the HOF for his 5 rings and rebounding records, but that's a separate thing. The term role player to me is someone who isn't what I described here. Someone who can't carry a team but rather plays a supportive role. Rodman was elite at his (defense and rebounding), but still a role player.

As for Green, it's true he made the allstar but undeserving. To me, he was never one of the 24 best players in the NBA, or rather, best 12 in the WC. If he wasn't in that GS he'd have never made it, I'm convinced.

Not necessarily MVP level players, Miami and Boston of recent years are good examples. Bosh, Wade, James, Garnett, Pierce, Allen were all #1 guys on their teams before teaming up. Worthy could have been #1 on a different team. Barkley, Drexler, Hakeem as well, though you could argue they weren't or were barely in their primes. You could argue about a lot of big 3s, but the essence of the term is basically 3 franchise players on a same team, which Rodman and Grant weren't.


a la Draymond.
_________________
KOBE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 18673

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Would the Bulls have won in 1999? Scottie thinks they win 2 more.

SuperboyReformed wrote:

edit...
i just realized....that pippen fumble is essentially the exact same shot attempt as MJ's hero shot on Bryon. Except instead of of MJ vs Bryon, it was Scottie vs Kobe. Notice how Kobe's defense is much better than Bryon's in dealing with the pushoff. And notice how it's the fact that Kobe doesn't budge during the pushoff that scottie loses the ball. This is why Scottie is not MJ. I do feel we are being a little hard on him though. He's still a MUCH better player than lbj at just about everything. And that's not trying to be funny.


Thx, and it's a miracle you spelled Bryon Russell correctly. I've even seen his name spelled Byron in free throw name graphics in games. The tip of Pippen's shoe caught the floor like Bogdonovic's did in our 99-97 home win against SAC earlier this year, which feels like eons ago. Same also happened in our 1 point win at Memphis, toe clipping the floor. He tried to push off on Kobe or something, but ultimately he gimped whatever he was trying to do. Mike, otoh, hardly ever gimped anything on the bball floor in a situation like that.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
SEDALE TRIBUTE
EDDIE DONX!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 20931
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:17 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 said it first, and correctly: Pippen would not have been on that '99 team. There is just no way they were going to pay him a huge contract (for that time). Even if MJ returns and if they would have truly tried to put the best possible team around Jordan (without Pippen), they don't have Pippen. I just don't see how they could have replaced him adequately enough to still win a championship.
_________________
OK, no superteam, but we can still do this. Onward and upward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB