What are some up and coming neighborhoods in LA? Looking to buy first home
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What are some up and coming neighborhoods in LA? Looking to buy first home

BigBallerBrand wrote:
I’m in SF now but got word from my company that we can work remotely for at least a year (maybe even permanently)...so there’s no reason for me to spend $3k/month in a city where everything is closed anyway....

Anywho, looking to buy a condo or house in an area in LA that has some upside in appreciation in home value in next 4-5 years. Any thoughts? I haven’t been in LA that frequently in over 5 years. Back then, I heard Arts District is the best place to be in terms of upside.....is that still true or are there other places I should look at?

Lookin lg for something in $800-850k range if that matters (max), but preferably cheaper and with low HOA

So I just bought my house a year ago and did the exact thing you're thinking of- taking a risk in maybe a slightly tougher part of town and hope for the appreciation ( In one year mine has appreciated 70k).

DO NOT go to arts district unless you are cool with a continued SF vibe- all concrete, old factory buildings converted to lofts etc...The homeless situation in DTLA is abysmal and even though a few blocks away from arts district, I would go for a place with a yard.

So some of the guys above were talking about one of the four hot areas right now (NW L.A.) and the popular but already too expensive areas within that zone are called highland park, and Mt. Washington. There are two hoods that are Highland park adjacent that I looked at a bunch of houses in (and noticed a bunch of silverlake hipsters had already started buying there) and they are called El Sereno and Montecito heights, the latter being super close to Dodger Stadium.

The other two areas that I didn't end up buying in but are gentrifying quickly but still has a few deals for your price range are Jefferson park, and West Adams- this would be in a part of town a little bit west of USC and a bit south of the 10 freeway- a bunch of old beautiful Craftsman style homes when the old timey country club was there, and USC was in a "nice" neighborhood

I ended up buying in Inglewood, I was super scared at first and I couldn't have been more wrong man...
750-800K will get you something real nice in the WOOD.
Anything in north Inglewood ( North of Centinela, West of West Blvd) is pretty safe, adjacent to nice neighborhoods like Culver City, 15 minutes to the beach, and 5-10 minutes from the new Rams Stadium.
But you gotta get here before the stadium opens, then the affordability in Inglewood would be gone.

Last edited by eddiejonze on Fri May 22, 2020 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What are some up and coming neighborhoods in LA? Looking to buy first home

eddiejonze wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:
I’m in SF now but got word from my company that we can work remotely for at least a year (maybe even permanently)...so there’s no reason for me to spend $3k/month in a city where everything is closed anyway....

Anywho, looking to buy a condo or house in an area in LA that has some upside in appreciation in home value in next 4-5 years. Any thoughts? I haven’t been in LA that frequently in over 5 years. Back then, I heard Arts District is the best place to be in terms of upside.....is that still true or are there other places I should look at?

Lookin lg for something in $800-850k range if that matters (max), but preferably cheaper and with low HOA

So I just bought my house a year ago and did the exact thing you're thinking of- taking a risk in maybe a slightly tougher part of town and hope for the appreciation ( In one year mine has appreciated 70k).

DO NOT go to arts district unless you are cool with a continued SF vibe- all concrete, old factory buildings converted to lofts etc...The homeless situation in DTLA is abysmal and even though a few blocks away from arts district, I would go for a place with a yard.

So some of the guys above were talking about one of the four hot areas right now (NW L.A.) and the popular but already too expensive areas within that zone are called highland park, and Mt. Washington. There are two hoods that are Highland park adjacent that I looked at a bunch of houses in (and noticed a bunch of silverlake hipsters had already started buying there) and they are called El Sereno and Montecito heights, the latter being super close to Dodger Stadium.

The other two areas that I didn't end up buying in but are gentrifying quickly but still has a few deals for your price range are Jefferson, and West Adams- this would be in a part of town a little bit west of USC and a bit south of the 10 freeway- a bunch of old beautiful Craftsman style homes when the old timey country club was there, and USC was in a "nice" neighborhood

I ended up buying in Inglewood, I was super scared at first and I couldn't have been more wrong man...
Anything in north Inglewood ( North of Centinela, West of West Blvd) is pretty safe, adjacent to nice neighborhoods like Culver City, 15 minutes to the beach, and 5-10 minutes from the new Rams Stadium.
But you gotta get here before the stadium opens, then the affordability in Inglewood would be gone.

Once the stadiums and surrounding mega restaurant/shopping are built, I'd imagine Inglewood real estate is going to sky rocket. Do you know precisely where they're building all that?
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: What are some up and coming neighborhoods in LA? Looking to buy first home

jonnybravo wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:

The other two areas that I didn't end up buying in but are gentrifying quickly but still has a few deals for your price range are Jefferson, and West Adams- this would be in a part of town a little bit west of USC and a bit south of the 10 freeway- a bunch of old beautiful Craftsman style homes when the old timey country club was there, and USC was in a "nice" neighborhood

Once the stadiums and surrounding mega restaurant/shopping are built, I'd imagine Inglewood real estate is going to sky rocket. Do you know precisely where they're building all that?

A mile and a half from my house- Prairie, between Century and Manchester.
Right next to Lakers Mecca, the Forum.
The damn Flipper arena is gonna get built right there too- I get mailers from them.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What are some up and coming neighborhoods in LA? Looking to buy first home

eddiejonze wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:

The damn Flipper arena is gonna get built right there too- I get mailers from them.

Man, I can't imagine being fortunate enough to be able to walk right up to the stadiums. At least with the Clippers arena, you can always get cheaper Lakers tickets when we roll through.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What are some up and coming neighborhoods in LA? Looking to buy first home

jonnybravo wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:

Man, I can't imagine being fortunate enough to be able to walk right up to the stadiums. At least with the Clippers arena, you can always get cheaper Lakers tickets when we roll through.

True true... I used to do that at the old LA sports arena- saw Van Exel Lakers play Clippers for like, 12 bucks lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: