ESPN hints at possible future 2000's Lakers Dynasty 30 for 30?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: ESPN hints at possible future 2000's Lakers Dynasty 30 for 30?

So during the commercial breaks for The Last Dance, ESPN has aired some cool (and kind of creepy) "deepfake" State Farm commercials where they show vintage footage of younger ESPN anchors in the 90's talking about "future" events as if they were predictions.

Tonight, they aired this one...

Could this be a possible hint at a future 2000's Lakers Dynasty 30 for 30 in the works?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject:

I think it was a given there was always going to be a Kobe/Shaq one... I mean really they were a soap opera. However I rather they not bother especially when half the duo isn't around to say their side of the story.

I know that's unpopular around these parts but that's how I feel.

If anything I am more interested in a 10 part documentary on Phil Jackson's career playing and coaching while he's still around because he has stories to tell and that would feature the Lakers.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject:

I think they should make a documentary like this about the Showtime teams. Those teams set the scene for the Bulls to be the phenomenon they were in the '90s.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I think they should make a documentary like this about the Showtime teams. Those teams set the scene for the Bulls to be the phenomenon they were in the '90s.

HBO's got a docu-drama about the Showtime Lakers coming out.

HBO >>>>>>>>>>> ESPN. Whatever HBO is going to pull out of their hat is surely going to be amazing.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I think it was a given there was always going to be a Kobe/Shaq one... I mean really they were a soap opera. However I rather they not bother especially when half the duo isn't around to say their side of the story.

If anything I am more interested in a 10 part documentary on Phil Jackson's career playing and coaching while he's still around because he has stories to tell and that would feature the Lakers.

Hello naw! It's unfortunate that Kobe isn't around to participate in these kinds of documentaries but based on that logic then we would NEVER get a Kobe/Lakers documentary. Do you really prefer that as the alternative? And then Kobe doesn't get his dues like MJ, Bird, Magic etc. have done MULTIPLE times over and his legacy fades in the minds of future generations that don't know anything about him?

Besides, it's NOT just about the Shaq/Kobe era, it would be about the entire 5-ring dynasty, which also includes the Post-Shaq era.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

We've already gotten plenty of those.

- 5 Championship videos for each of the championships

- "Magic Johnson: Always Showtime" documentary from back in the day

- The Announcement 30 for 30

- Magic & Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

- Lakers vs Celtics 30 for 30 which was 6 hours and 95% of it was spent on the Magic Lakers vs Bird Celtics (with only like 10 seconds glossing over the 2008-2010 Lakers vs Celtics).

- And according to Magic himself there is yet ANOTHER Magic Johnson Last Dance-esque documentary in the works.

Jordans Bulls, Magic's Lakers, Bird's Celtics are the most documented and re-told stories in NBA history. And IT'S STILL HAPPENING. I really wish the NBA media in general would move on from the vaunted "80s/90s" golden era and stop pretending that NBA ceased to exist after Jordan retired.

Gimme a Kobe documentary, gimme a 2000's dynasty Lakers documentary, gimme a Duncan/Pop Spurs dynasty documentary. Etc. etc. etc.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
slavavov wrote:

We've already gotten plenty of those.

- 5 Championship videos for each of the championships

- "Magic Johnson: Always Showtime" documentary from back in the day

- The Announcement 30 for 30

- Magic & Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

- Lakers vs Celtics 30 for 30 which was 6 hours and 95% of it was spent on the Magic Lakers vs Bird Celtics (with only like 10 seconds glossing over the 2008-2010 Lakers vs Celtics).

- And according to Magic himself there is yet ANOTHER Magic Johnson Last Dance-esque documentary in the works.

Jordans Bulls, Magic's Lakers, Bird's Celtics are the most documented and re-told stories in NBA history. And IT'S STILL HAPPENING. I really wish the NBA media in general would move on from the vaunted "80s/90s" golden era and stop pretending that NBA ceased to exist after Jordan retired.

Gimme a Kobe documentary, gimme a 2000's dynasty Lakers documentary, gimme a Duncan/Pop Spurs dynasty documentary. Etc. etc. etc.

at this point, it's not going to change. the Lakers Celtics 80s, and Bulls 90s is going to be incessantly discussed forever. It's more than the NBA, it's just part of basketball history now. I don't mind, I consider myself an expert on the subject. lollllllll
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject:

What we need is an NBA hard knocks series from training camp.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Hello naw! It's unfortunate that Kobe isn't around to participate in these kinds of documentaries but based on that logic then we would NEVER get a Kobe/Lakers documentary. Do you really prefer that as the alternative? And then Kobe doesn't get his dues like MJ, Bird, Magic etc. have done MULTIPLE times over and his legacy fades in the minds of future generations that don't know anything about him?

Besides, it's NOT just about the Shaq/Kobe era, it would be about the entire 5-ring dynasty, which also includes the Post-Shaq era.

Kobe is never going to get his dues so...

There are Kobe documentaries though Kobe Bryant's Muse, Kobe Doin Work. Point is we heard from Kobe himself. If you're going to cover the Shaq/Kobe era you need both not one. Others can make stuff up and Kobe isn't around to defend himself. There's a reason why The Last Dance worked to most viewers Scottie, Rodman etc are around to tell their side of things(I think Krause should've had his side mentioned and it won't be). If there's a Shaq/Kobe doc it won't mention the rings he won without Shaq not one done by ESPN that's for damn sure.

If you want to know about Shaq/Kobe you can watch the Players Only interview that Shaq did with Kobe a couple years back.

jonnybravo wrote:
slavavov wrote:

HBO >>>>>>>>>>> ESPN. Whatever HBO is going to pull out of their hat is surely going to be amazing.

Yes the Showtime Lakers would be preferable and I would like to see that instead tbh. Plus you know HBO will blow ESPN out of the water.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

There are Kobe documentaries though Kobe Bryant's Muse, Kobe Doin Work. Point is we heard from Kobe himself. If you're going to cover the Shaq/Kobe era you need both not one. Others can make stuff up and Kobe isn't around to defend himself. There's a reason why The Last Dance worked to most viewers Scottie, Rodman etc are around to tell their side of things(I think Krause should've had his side mentioned and it won't be). If there's a Shaq/Kobe doc it won't mention the rings he won without Shaq not one done by ESPN that's for damn sure.

If you want to know about Shaq/Kobe you can watch the Players Only interview that Shaq did with Kobe a couple years back.

jonnybravo wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Yes the Showtime Lakers would be preferable and I would like to see that instead tbh. Plus you know HBO will blow ESPN out of the water.

Disagree with that defeatist attitude. Especially now that even the biggest Kobe haters (Nick Wright, etc.) feel guilty about not giving him his dues throughout his career. The commercial clearly hinted at the documentary being about the entire 5-ring dynasty, so it would obviously include the post-Shaq era. And I doubt that Shaq or many would "slander" him after the tragedy and now that they've buried the hatchet.

Those things you mentioned aren't really documentaries like The Last Dance, detailing the memorable moments of Kobe's career. Doing Work is literally behind the scenes of a single random regular season game with Kobe voiceover to make it less boring. Kobe's Muse was more of a confessional "inside the mind" of Kobe. Those fall way short of what I would consider a legitimate Kobe documentary about his career. It's coming whether you like it or not. And I strongly disagree with this "They should never make a Kobe documentary because he's not here and because he'll never get his due" stance that you're taking.

Funny you mention The Last Dance as working for Scottie because he came out with a statement today saying he was hurt and disappointed as to how he was portrayed in the finished product...
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

jonnybravo wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Disagree with that defeatist attitude. Especially now that even the biggest Kobe haters (Nick Wright, etc.) feel guilty about not giving him his dues throughout his career. The commercial clearly hinted at the documentary being about the entire 5-ring dynasty, so it would obviously include the post-Shaq era. And I doubt that Shaq or many would "slander" him after the tragedy and now that they've buried the hatchet.

Those things you mentioned aren't really documentaries like The Last Dance, detailing the memorable moments of Kobe's career. Doing Work is literally behind the scenes of a single random regular season game with Kobe voiceover to make it less boring. Kobe's Muse was more of a confessional "inside the mind" of Kobe. Those fall way short of what I would consider a legitimate Kobe documentary about his career. It's coming whether you like it or not. And I strongly disagree with this "They should never make a Kobe documentary because he's not here and because he'll never get his due" stance that you're taking.

Funny you mention The Last Dance as working for Scottie because he came out with a statement today saying he was hurt and disappointed as to how he was portrayed in the finished product...

Of course a Kobe 30 for 30 doc is coming his career was too dramatic not to have one it would've been preferable if we could actually hear from him but we won't. So I rather they not bother it won't work.

Kobe has already been phased out of these discussions when it comes to great players etc if you haven't noticed this I don't know what to tell you....

Well if Scottie is afraid of looking bad that's his own fault for taking himself out of games etc. Regardless he still was able to tell his side of the story despite the backlash. Hence why it worked even if it backfired on him.
rst08tierney
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

jonnybravo wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Of course a Kobe 30 for 30 doc is coming his career was too dramatic not to have one it would've been preferable if we could actually hear from him but we won't. So I rather they not bother it won't work.

Kobe has already been phased out of these discussions when it comes to great players etc if you haven't noticed this I don't know what to tell you....

Well if Scottie is afraid of looking bad that's his own fault for taking himself out of games etc. Regardless he still was able to tell his side of the story despite the backlash. Hence why it worked even if it backfired on him.

forget 30 for 30 Kobe needs 8 part series at min
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

jonnybravo wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Hasn't everybody but Jordan been phased out of the discussion?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject:

It would be way better than the Last Dance which I liked in parts due to the behind the scenes footage. If that similar type of footage of the late Legend exists, I want to see it.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject:

ericp6387 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Batguano wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

jonnybravo wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Hasn't everybody but Jordan been phased out of the discussion?

Well it does seem that way if you think someone other than Jordan is the GOAT its not up for debate. My point is they talk about MJ/LeBron and completely ignore the bridge between the two(Kobe)

When you could argue that Kobe is closer to MJ than LeBron is.

I do agree you can't summarize Kobe's career in a 30 for 30 doc(at least in two parts) it could well be a miniseries. So many ups and downs its a soap opera of itself.

I hope they wait a very long time before that airs I feel its too soon to do one now. Emotions are raw(well for me at least)
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:40 am    Post subject:

I watched every minute of the Last Dance and it was the same media hagiography that they practiced with Jordan back in the day when THEY decided that he was the GOAT and that was the end of the discussion, which of course is, was and always will be absurd.

The modern-day interview footage of Jordan was the only compelling aspect of the Last Dance. Apart from that, it was just another collection of NBA Entertainment highlights augmented with the predictable reverential dictum and/or insufferable whining about how mean Mike was.

I shudder to think what a Kobe Last Dance-esque doc will play like, especially since Kobe is no longer around to give his side of the story.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: