PC/Laptop help needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: PC/Laptop help needed

So I recently purchased a refurbished Dell laptop on Amazon. My old laptop died after 10 good years. This "new" one has some nice specs and came at a great price... BUT... I see an alert that "Windows is not activated".
Looks like I need a product key.

I can return the laptop for full refund within 90 days and I've emailed the seller to see if they can assist. Reading up on it, it looks like this will only really affect some cosmetic things on the laptop.

Any suggestions (other than buy Apple)? Should I just leave it be? Is there any work around?

I only really need it for music, internet, email and photos.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject:

My bad, you said Windows, not office.

“Just a thought, but you can buy windows 365 which is an online subscription to Windows that costs $7/month. Or you can just use Google Docs, Google Spreadsheet, etc., for free.“
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Was it actually refurbished by Dell or is it some independent seller that "refurbished it". If it's the latter, I can say with almost certainty that an independent seller just resets it to factory settings and wipes it down. If it's from Dell, a refurbished unit carries the exact warranty as a new one.

You can check your warranty status here:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04

Is it an actual error message or is it a watermark on the desktop? IIRC, I had it happen awhile back and mine had a watermark on the bottom right. It was a simple fix.

https://windows101tricks.com/remove-activate-windows-10-watermark-permanently/
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Was it actually refurbished by Dell or is it some independent seller that "refurbished it". If it's the latter, I can say with almost certainty that an independent seller just resets it to factory settings and wipes it down. If it's from Dell, a refurbished unit carries the exact warranty as a new one.

You can check your warranty status here:

Is it an actual error message or is it a watermark on the desktop? IIRC, I had it happen awhile back and mine had a watermark on the bottom right. It was a simple fix.

https://windows101tricks.com/remove-activate-windows-10-watermark-permanently/

Thank you, Surf.

Yeah, JB...it's more like a watermark. I am able to do pretty much everything I want to so far. But I tried to get rid of a few items on my taskbar and it didn't allow me.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Windows isn't free. Most computers you buy fold its cost into the cost of the computer. So I see three possibilities:

1. You bought a computer with Windows installed but unlicensed.
2. Your refurb computer should have had Windows licensed, but the seller didn't activate it.
3. Windows should be licensed, but there was a problem checking with the license server. Just to give you an example, every UC Irvine computer's license goes through UCI's license server. If I'm off campus for too long without ever logging into the UCI VPN so it can see the license server, it'll give the same message you see the next time it tries to check its license.

So I'd say: 1) Check with the seller to make sure the computer came with a licensed copy of Windows. If it did, then it should be there responsibility to make sure you can activate it, and should be able to help you.

If you bought a computer without a license, then it's your call -- either buy your own key from Microsoft, or return the computer to the seller and tell them to F-off for selling you a computer without a licensed O/S.

I wouldn't run it unlicensed. You can't personalize it, you get annoying messages, and (I think maybe) it won't install updates. Plus if you DID pay for it, you deserve your license key.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, LC.
I'm going to see what the seller says.... and check out the Dell site jb linked to see what other info I can find. If I can't get it remedied, I will likely return and get my $$ back. I appreciate the help so far.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Windows isn't free. Most computers you buy fold its cost into the cost of the computer. So I see three possibilities:

2. Your refurb computer should have had Windows licensed, but the seller didn't activate it.
3. Windows should be licensed, but there was a problem checking with the license server. Just to give you an example, every UC Irvine computer's license goes through UCI's license server. If I'm off campus for too long without ever logging into the UCI VPN so it can see the license server, it'll give the same message you see the next time it tries to check its license.

So I'd say: 1) Check with the seller to make sure the computer came with a licensed copy of Windows. If it did, then it should be there responsibility to make sure you can activate it, and should be able to help you.

If you bought a computer without a license, then it's your call -- either buy your own key from Microsoft, or return the computer to the seller and tell them to F-off for selling you a computer without a licensed O/S.

I wouldn't run it unlicensed. You can't personalize it, you get annoying messages, and (I think maybe) it won't install updates. Plus if you DID pay for it, you deserve your license key.

For a prebuilt system from a manufacturer like Dell, aren't the Windows CD key automatically tied to the motherboard?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

For a prebuilt system from a manufacturer like Dell, aren't the Windows CD key automatically tied to the motherboard?

*Right click the flag button and click system and scroll down that window to Windows Specifications and report back which version you have from the top two lines

I goof around and build my own every now and then. As of a few months ago even Windows 7 OEM stickers would activate to Windows 10. Nothing illegal. The illegality is with MS...lol.. giving away Windows 10 so you keep using Windows

His Watermark may be caused by the original OEM sticker and BIOS being for say Windows 7 Home Edition OR Windows 10 Home edition and the seller installed Windows 10 Pro

If he enters the Service tag or code he can see the original OS install somewhere way at the bottom.. usually

Sometimes sellers will install Cracked software that disables Windows Updates OR the free 6 month (could be 3 now) Enterprise Trial edition of windows.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Windows 10 Pro
Version : 1903
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
Windows 10 Pro
Version : 1903

What model is your laptop? I think CI might be onto something. If it's not their business line (Latitude, Vostro or Preicision) it most likely didn't originally ship with Pro.

Check your service tag. It should pull up a list of the parts that originally shipped with the laptop including the OS.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject:

https://www.prrcomputers.com/blog/activate-windows-10-telephone/

I've done this in the past. Works perfectly. Tell the operator the windows is OEM.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:20 am    Post subject:

hello friend, do you have 90 minutes to talk about our lord and savior steve jobs?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

In the TPM? Actually, I'm not sure if the Windows key is in there or not. But this is a good point -- I imagine the seller just re-imaged the drive, so it may be necessary to re-provision the TPM.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

In the TPM? Actually, I'm not sure if the Windows key is in there or not. But this is a good point -- I imagine the seller just re-imaged the drive, so it may be necessary to re-provision the TPM.

Yes if they have the original windows that came with the computer/laptop but if they installed another copy of windows it wouldn't matter. I've gone through this a ton of times helping family and friends. Best bet is to call the activation line from my previous post. Just follow their instructions and you'll get a new key.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Yes if they have the original windows that came with the computer/laptop but if they installed another copy of windows it wouldn't matter. I've gone through this a ton of times helping family and friends. Best bet is to call the activation line from my previous post. Just follow their instructions and you'll get a new key.

If original was for Windows Home Edition and not Pro the TPM/BIOS etc cannot activate a upgraded license. The buyer will have to pay for an upgraded key.

Googling yesterday found this method that may be faster

https://steemit.com/esteem/@afterglow/can-t-activate-windows-how-to-activate-windows-manually
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject:

Did you try turning it off then turning it back on?
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject:

Thanks again for the input, LG. (LG is my go-to for advice/tips/smartass replies)

For now, I am going to leave as is and see what the seller has to say. If push comes to shove I will use the resources you have linked and try to fix it myself--- last resort is just return it and get my $ back and just shop more carefully next time.

Thx again, fellas.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Did you try turning it off then turning it back on?

This was the business model I dreamed up a while back. Advertise twenty dollar tech support, money back if you can’t fix the problem to their satisfaction. Then just tell them to reboot. A fair part of the time, collect twenty bucks. The rest? Hang up and on to the next.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: