Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^
Yes, but for Zimmerman's action of getting out of his car, the whole thing would have been avoided. Still, there was no evidence presented at trial that he got out of the car intending to harm Martin. No evidence that he drew his gun at Martin when he approached him. I really don't want to re-hash that case any further than I already have. We know what happened, and I think that you would at least agree that he had a reasonable legal defense.

With this Arbery case, I don't see how a self-defense claim here is reasonable for this father and son. I don't know how one can look at that and say "oh, there's reasonable doubt here as to what happened." Sometimes, there is, like with the Zimmerman case and the Michael Brown shooting. I'm just saying that the Zimmerman case is not the Arbery case, just as the Michael Brown case is not the Eric Garner or the Philando Castile case.

Oh, and to be clear, no one has to convince me of the rampant racism and gross miscarriages of justice that occur in this country on a daily basis. That said, I still believe in evaluating things on a case-by-case basis. I don't believe all women though I believe most of them, and I don't believe most police officers though I believe some of them. I try to look at each case and weigh the evidence for myself. I don't just automatically assume something because of generalizations, or even my own general prejudices. (I've just admitted that I generally have a poor view of the police telling the truth, for example.)

I understand you, and I agree he was able to mount a reasonable defense. But you were responding to the idea that these incidents are not similar strictly from that viewpoint. I’m saying they are similar because in both cases armed men felt justified to stalk and go after unarmed black men.

... Waits for NRA to say we need to start arming black men....

Lol. I guarantee you if the shooters in both of the mentioned cases were black and the victims white, there would have been swift guilty verdicts, if the defendants survived arrest.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^
Yes, but for Zimmerman's action of getting out of his car, the whole thing would have been avoided. Still, there was no evidence presented at trial that he got out of the car intending to harm Martin. No evidence that he drew his gun at Martin when he approached him. I really don't want to re-hash that case any further than I already have. We know what happened, and I think that you would at least agree that he had a reasonable legal defense.

With this Arbery case, I don't see how a self-defense claim here is reasonable for this father and son. I don't know how one can look at that and say "oh, there's reasonable doubt here as to what happened." Sometimes, there is, like with the Zimmerman case and the Michael Brown shooting. I'm just saying that the Zimmerman case is not the Arbery case, just as the Michael Brown case is not the Eric Garner or the Philando Castile case.

Oh, and to be clear, no one has to convince me of the rampant racism and gross miscarriages of justice that occur in this country on a daily basis. That said, I still believe in evaluating things on a case-by-case basis. I don't believe all women though I believe most of them, and I don't believe most police officers though I believe some of them. I try to look at each case and weigh the evidence for myself. I don't just automatically assume something because of generalizations, or even my own general prejudices. (I've just admitted that I generally have a poor view of the police telling the truth, for example.)

I understand you, and I agree he was able to mount a reasonable defense. But you were responding to the idea that these incidents are not similar strictly from that viewpoint. I’m saying they are similar because in both cases armed men felt justified to stalk and go after unarmed black men.

... Waits for NRA to say we need to start arming black men....

Lol. I guarantee you if the shooters in both of the mentioned cases were black and the victims white, there would have been swift guilty verdicts, if the defendants survived arrest.

I knew I would be in agreement as I read and wish I could escape that reality in those last 5 words ... exhale.
Wvc0925
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Why so much publicity for this?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

Yeah, I get what you're saying.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:55 am    Post subject:

Wvc0925 wrote:
Why so much publicity for this?

Don't you mean "why so little?"

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:28 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The presumption, and how natural it is to white people, that a black man jogging...is inherently worthy of suspicion

Even the ad execs in the OJ Hertz ads from the 70s recognized that OJ running would make him look suspicious to America at large unless they showed white people cheering him on as he hurdled over benches and ran w/ his briefcase out of the building. (Caveat: They didn't know what was going to happen in 1994 at the time).
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The presumption, and how natural it is to white people, that a black man jogging...is inherently worthy of suspicion

My friends and I call it getting a BIP (black in public). BIP is a serious crime and for many the sentencing is capital punishment.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

My friends and I call it getting a BIP (black in public). BIP is a serious crime and for many the sentencing is capital punishment.

Yep. Simply existing outside of the areas where white people feel black people should be is an offense that must be investigated, prosecuted and sentenced on the spot.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Just think, in California the father and son would likely be released due to the no bail policy.

The no bail policy applies to non-violent crimes.

He knows this, just like he knows Fauci is a legitimate expert. The object is to misinform and yank chains.

No, the object is to illustrate what a bad policy it is. I discussed it with the local sheriff and he agrees. Especially when they have to arrest and release some giuys multiple times in a day. I made my feelings know about this case in the political thread, hanging those two wouldn’t be punishment enough.

Is it really that hard to just admit that you were wrong and misinformed about how the no bail policy works?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:

Is it really that hard to just admit that you were wrong and misinformed about how the no bail policy works?

When was the last time a Republican admitted they were wrong?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Just think, in California the father and son would likely be released due to the no bail policy.

The no bail policy applies to non-violent crimes.

He knows this, just like he knows Fauci is a legitimate expert. The object is to misinform and yank chains.

No, the object is to illustrate what a bad policy it is. I discussed it with the local sheriff and he agrees. Especially when they have to arrest and release some giuys multiple times in a day. I made my feelings know about this case in the political thread, hanging those two wouldn’t be punishment enough.

“I just wanted to illustrate a bad policy by using an example it wouldn’t apply to.”
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

In defense of my friend VLF. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn) about the Ukraine scandal.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

In defense of my friend VLF. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn) about the Ukraine scandal.

Good job and I stand corrected. I guess I should have said, when was the last time a Republican admitted they were wrong who was not retiring. Still, it took nearly two days to find, or at least report on, a Republican who admitted they were wrong. Such a finding is on about on par with scoring 81 points or more in an NBA game.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject:

IF a LEO was STRIPPED of his badge and no longer allowed to make arrests would that make him ineligible to conduct a Citizens Arrest also

This article is not as harsh on the McMichaels as others... He was only allowed to be an office worker and because he was a failed cop he was not allowed to touch cop duties or actions...

One of the Men Involved in Ahmaud Arbery’s Death Lost the Ability to Make Arrests When He Was in Law Enforcement
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4ayy5m/one-of-the-men-involved-in-ahmaud-arberys-death-lost-the-ability-to-make-arrests-when-he-was-in-law-enforcement

Quote:
Gregory McMichael eventually lost his arrest powers when the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council issued a suspension order in 2019, according to the Post. He was then moved into a staff liaison job until he retired in June, according to WSB-TV. He gave up his badge and weapon in the meantime.

Less than a year later, on Feb. 23, McMichael saw Arbery while he was out for a jog and called out to his son, Travis. The two men armed themselves, hopped in their truck, and followed Arbery, which led to an encounter in which Travis shot Arbery three times.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject:

^^^

"You won't let me a cop, then I'll show you what a great cop I am!"
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject:

So Law Enforcement told the owner of the construction project to call the McDonald's as vigilantes . . . you can't make this (bleep) up.
So many people need to go down big time for this antiquated vigilantism that is clearly steeped in racism.

COPS ENCOURAGED ACCUSED MURDERER TO BE A VIGILANTE
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
So Law Enforcement told the owner of the construction project to call the McDonald's as vigilantes . . . you can't make this (bleep) up.
So many people need to go down big time for this antiquated vigilantism that is clearly steeped in racism.

and just above we see that the Police had removed McMichaels badge for failure to perform use of force training.. Yet the idiot cop in the text is suggesting the kicked off the force cop also be a Vigilante

This whole thing is really ugly coverup BS

Another story on that site says they confronted a "light skinned" black at the construction site 2 weeks earlier and his stupid defenders are saying the light skinned black is Arbery.. Derp!
https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/13/ahmaud-arbery-suspects-allegedly-confronted-mcmichael-february-11-shooting/

I would say they should get the death penalty. And let them fight it like black people have to.

If two black men chased a white boy down like a modern day lynching and murdered him they would be hanging in their cells before the night ended
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject:

https://www.theroot.com/armed-black-men-show-up-in-neighborhood-where-armed-whi-1843465995

Quote:
Instead, I’ll defer to an objective organization like CBS 46:

Video of the Panther Special Operations command armed patrol has gone viral. On Saturday, the organization led an armed patrol in front of Gregory McMichael’s home.

McMichael is one of the men accused of being involved in the fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery.

Special Operations Commander of the armed patrol, General Rottweiler, says he wants justice by any means necessary.

“You don’t win wars by marching and protesting you win wars by fighting back,” said Rottweiler. “You have to fight back. That’s the way I was bred and that’s the way the military teaches you. You have to fight back you can’t just sit there when your family gets murdered or people get murdered.”
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Agreed, I wonder how many Natty Lights this father son pseudo Law Enforcement Team had consumed also before chasing this poor kid down.

The video is just sad, it makes me very angry.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:32 am    Post subject:

Google News has a Very useful function

They give you a headline and then you click a spot and it brings up all current stories on the same issue
If you ever use scroll scroll and keep checking the headlines

Today's headline was how they tried to taze him in 2017

(bleep) scroll past 20 plus MSM Titles until get to TMZ

Guess what is in their headline that is MISSING from the others??
To all people of color I sincerely apologize the USA treats you this way.

AHMAUD ARBERY
COPS GOT AGGRESSIVE IN 2017
Tried Tasing Him with His Hands Up
https://amp.tmz.com/2020/05/18/ahmaud-arbery-glynn-county-police-taser-frisk-search-gregory-mcmichael/

Quote:
Despite the fact Ahmaud immediately obeyed their orders -- and had his hands in the air -- one officer pulled his taser and fired it. Now, the weapon malfunctioned, but Ahmaud was already getting down on the ground anyway.

Biased White people see the headline about how they tried to taze him before, don't have time to click and now form an opinion he must've been a problem person or why else would the cross burners be tazing him?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:37 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Google News has a Very useful function

They give you a headline and then you click a spot and it brings up all current stories on the same issue
If you ever use scroll scroll and keep checking the headlines

Today's headline was how they tried to taze him in 2017

(bleep) scroll past 20 plus MSM Titles until get to TMZ

Guess what is in their headline that is MISSING from the others??
To all people of color I sincerely apologize the USA treats you this way.

AHMAUD ARBERY
COPS GOT AGGRESSIVE IN 2017
Tried Tasing Him with His Hands Up
https://amp.tmz.com/2020/05/18/ahmaud-arbery-glynn-county-police-taser-frisk-search-gregory-mcmichael/

Quote:
Despite the fact Ahmaud immediately obeyed their orders -- and had his hands in the air -- one officer pulled his taser and fired it. Now, the weapon malfunctioned, but Ahmaud was already getting down on the ground anyway.

Biased White people see the headline about how they tried to taze him before, don't have time to click and now form an opinion he must've been a problem person or why else would the cross burners be tazing him?

full video

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject:

You'd think this story couldn't get worse but good lord. Hopefully we see justice served

I also can't believe Georgia doesn't have a hate crimes prevention law. What kind of ass backwards state doesn't have a hate crimes prevention law?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Man who recorded the fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery has been arrested

Quote:
(CNN) - William "Roddie" Bryan Jr., the man who recorded the fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery in a neighborhood outside Brunswick, Georgia, has been arrested on suspicion of murder, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said Thursday. [Emphasis mine]
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Quote:
(CNN) - William "Roddie" Bryan Jr., the man who recorded the fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery in a neighborhood outside Brunswick, Georgia, has been arrested on suspicion of murder, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said Thursday. [Emphasis mine]

That an extra from The Hills have Eyes? Effen' troglodyte.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Quote:

I'm guessing it's an attempt to leverage testimony against the McMichaels in a plea deal.

Not that this guy isn't guilty of being a participant in the vigilante justice, but it's going to be a much harder case to prove than the dad and son's.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Fri May 22, 2020 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: