Contractors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Contractors

Has anyone here had a pleasant experience with a contractor?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Contractors

C M B wrote:
Has anyone here had a pleasant experience with a contractor?

Do as much research on the issue you want them to work on before you meet.
Corporate mechanic shops take advantage of women because they bet they are ignorant of auto repair. Contractors can be the same... Plus it just feels better to not have them saying things you get confused by..

If they sound like your drunk uncle, me, over the phone.. hang up.. lol

I would pick someone who you can hear in their voice is eager to work and will try to answer every question you have.

Believe you will find a competent and friendly contractor or maybe contractoress?? and you will have a better chance.

Might not have been helpful but I'm in an overly helpful mood
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject:

What are your needs? I'm sure you can google contractors in your area. There will probably be reviews on the site.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
What are your needs? I'm sure you can google contractors in your area. There will probably be reviews on the site.

expert advice, j

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
jodeke wrote:

expert advice, j

Not being facetious. Google is your friend.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject:

All I do is work with contractors. What is it that you need done. PM if you need to.

---George Carlin
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject:

My buddy had a pool installed in his back yard a few years ago and it was a nightmare. Cost way more than the original estimate, took them forever to finish it. Every day was another headache. (Although since it was finished they’ve had years of enjoyment from it.)
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject:

^^ There isn't a single person I know of who has had a contractor finish on time. If it takes 50% longer than the original estimate, that would be a pleasant surprise.

My brother is a lawyer for the OC Court system and he tells me that contractors are sued ALL THE TIME. Most of these shysters take on any and all contracts despite not having the manpower to honor those contracts in a timely basis. They'll rotate their guys from one site to the next. My sister's renovation sat idle for weeks on end regularly.

Monty - Whatever you decide to do, try to stretch out the payment into as many increments as you can. These guys are notorious for taking the loot and taking their sweet time. Keep that carrot dangling.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
My buddy had a pool installed in his back yard a few years ago and it was a nightmare. Cost way more than the original estimate, took them forever to finish it. Every day was another headache. (Although since it was finished they’ve had years of enjoyment from it.)

I suggest you read the contract. When you contract isn't there a way to pass extra cost to the contractor. It doesn't make sense to me you have to pay for headaches.

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
All I do is work with contractors. What is it that you need done. PM if you need to.

Thanks man. I need small roof leak repaired. I used homeadvisor for a referral but the contractor stood me up. No text, no call, no returned call, the number seems like it doesn't belong to anyone, and the website doesn't work.

As for the job itself, it's a spanish tile roof. I've considered taking it on myself but I don't know the first thing about roofing and there's only so much you can learn from youtube. I don't even have a tall ladder for this house yet. I cut a hole in the ceiling drywall to see if I could isolate the leak but the space is tight and the wood is soaked, I'll have to wait until the rain has stopped and I can do a hose test.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: