0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject:

The Wire was just so brilliant.

Then he gets involved with The Deuce which is also a great show in my opinion.

Big fan of David Simon.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject:

Treme was also brilliant
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject:

David Simon created arguably the greatest show of all time and another brilliant show in Treme.

I haven’t seen The West Wing but I believe it has a very good reputation. From the stuff I have seen by Aaron Sorkin he made a good to very good show that was extremely entertaining with The Newsroom, and another pretty good show called Sportsnight. He also wrote one of the most iconic movies of the last decade - one that a lot of people ranked as their #1,2 or 3 - with The Social Network. And most recently he wrote and directed Molly’s Game which was a good movie that was extremely entertaining.

So while I won’t compare the 2 since they’re each making different kinds of art I would say that they are both very successful at what they do and I enjoy and appreciate both of their work.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject:

They both made iconic shows. I preferred Simon's library, but I certainly don't feel the need to piss on Sorkin's because of that.

Meanwhile, Vince Gilligan is kicking some serious ass. His franchise digs far deeper into overall storytelling than either of those two did.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
They both made iconic shows. I preferred Simon's library, but I certainly don't feel the need to piss on Sorkin's because of that.

Meanwhile, Vince Gilligan is kicking some serious ass. His franchise digs far deeper into overall storytelling than either of those two did.

Yeah, uh, no.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yeah, uh, no.

You're thoroughly entitled to be wrong.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yeah, uh, no.

BB isn’t even trying to achieve the artistic statement that the Wire nailed. The decay of western civilization via the US by way of a city.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yeah, uh, no.

BB isn’t even trying to achieve the artistic statement that the Wire nailed. The decay of western civilization via the US by way of a city.

I understand where you're coming from. You're speaking about a story told extremely well that has some external implications that are resonant. And that's great. But you're locked into a very a specific form of storytelling that doesn't attempt to utilize so many other devices editorially and production wise to propel a story forward.

Sorkin is great with words. The words are exceptionally well crafted and they are compelling even if they don't always dig deeply into the subtext.

Simon is great with elevating that. There's far more subtext and as you say, there are allegorical elements that come along with it. And Simon's shows have great, well fleshed out characters. But they still are reduced to words and a few compelling moments.

BB and BCS instill all of that and go several layers deeper. There's an intricacy of thought to all aspects that surpasses what Simon has done. I understand that you and others focus on the words. But to me, an overall wealth of imagery and scope that Gilligan invokes makes for a much more compelling brand of storytelling because it stimulates much more viscerally.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Peppe89
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject:

picks up considerable steam especially by the third episode, hang in there and watch Ep.2 which is available on demand with animals.
https://www.animalpicturesociety.com/pictures-of-a-duck-3a17

Last edited by Peppe89 on Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:26 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
C M B wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
I like Sorkin's work, his dialogue has a rhythm to it that helps keep the plot moving at all times, without delving into pointless or gratuitous banter. He definitely has a great feel for that stuff. Much like Tarantino. I'm not familiar with David Simon's work, so I couldn't speak as to who's better.

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. At some point in your adult life you have been proselytized to about this show so I apologize if this makes me just one more of those guys, but do you have about 3600 minutes to spare for watching The Wire? I guarantee that it will be the most enthralling TV program you've ever watched, unless you've seen The Sopranos.

Just gotta power through season 2.

I felt this way about s2 after my first viewing. My second viewing made me question just why the hell I was such a buffoon. s2 might be my favorite now.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
C M B wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
I like Sorkin's work, his dialogue has a rhythm to it that helps keep the plot moving at all times, without delving into pointless or gratuitous banter. He definitely has a great feel for that stuff. Much like Tarantino. I'm not familiar with David Simon's work, so I couldn't speak as to who's better.

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. At some point in your adult life you have been proselytized to about this show so I apologize if this makes me just one more of those guys, but do you have about 3600 minutes to spare for watching The Wire? I guarantee that it will be the most enthralling TV program you've ever watched, unless you've seen The Sopranos.

Just gotta power through season 2.

I felt this way about s2 after my first viewing. My second viewing made me question just why the hell I was such a buffoon. s2 might be my favorite now.

Yup. It’s the touchstone for so much of what the show was ultimately about.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yeah, uh, no.

I understand where you're coming from. You're speaking about a story told extremely well that has some external implications that are resonant. And that's great. But you're locked into a very a specific form of storytelling that doesn't attempt to utilize so many other devices editorially and production wise to propel a story forward.

Sorkin is great with words. The words are exceptionally well crafted and they are compelling even if they don't always dig deeply into the subtext.

Simon is great with elevating that. There's far more subtext and as you say, there are allegorical elements that come along with it. And Simon's shows have great, well fleshed out characters. But they still are reduced to words and a few compelling moments.

BB and BCS instill all of that and go several layers deeper. There's an intricacy of thought to all aspects that surpasses what Simon has done. I understand that you and others focus on the words. But to me, an overall wealth of imagery and scope that Gilligan invokes makes for a much more compelling brand of storytelling because it stimulates much more viscerally.

I can respect that, although I think that has a lot more to do with the art of technique and how that relates to your work. Gillian is a much better craftsman, but what he produces has far less to ultimately say. It’s engaging and deep in detail and emotion, but it isn’t really about nearly as important a subject as Simon tackles. Successfully, without a lot of fanfare. Springsteen vs Rush.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: