Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject: The AI Thread

Just want a thread to talk about AI.

Thought this trailer was pretty cool.

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:40 pm    Post subject:

I don’t think most people know what’s about to hit them with AI.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:51 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

I've been playing around with ChatGPT and some ai image generators. Humanity has had a good run. I really wish I was being hyperbolic. What's crazy is we're going down a path that is the premise of so many science fiction novels/games/movies.

I'm just shocked by how fast it's happening. You're probably seeing so much more than what the public has access to DB. I can only imagine.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

We’ll just keep devaluing people until nobody matters anymore.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject:

I love it. Was addicted to midjourney for a while but have really latched on to the writing platforms. Being on the creative side of things AI is undoubtedly a great tool, unfortunately, we never leave things as just being tools.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Since AI can pretty much take everyones jobs, UBI will probably be on the horizon....that or these pesky humans will become slaves for our new AI overlords.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject:

AI (Chatgpt) has really helped me in my blog writing. I am able to create many contents because of AI. I still have to run the blog through an AI detector software and rewrite many of the parts that are considered "non-human" but for the most part it makes my job a lot easier.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Since AI can pretty much take everyones jobs, UBI will probably be on the horizon....that or these pesky humans will become slaves for our new AI overlords.

Taking away people's sense of purpose, expression and creativity. What could go wrong?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
AI (Chatgpt) has really helped me in my blog writing. I am able to create many contents because of AI. I still have to run the blog through an AI detector software and rewrite many of the parts that are considered "non-human" but for the most part it makes my job a lot easier.

Maybe not everything should be easier? What's the point of having a blog if you're going to let a robot write it?
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Maybe not everything should be easier? What's the point of having a blog if you're going to let a robot write it?

I see your point and I respect it. But isn't the whole society about making things easier? Like when the car was invented. People used to walk for miles and miles to get to somewhere and then the car was invented. Now people will drive couple of blocks to go somewhere instead of walking.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
ocho wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

I see your point and I respect it. But isn't the whole society about making things easier? Like when the car was invented. People used to walk for miles and miles to get to somewhere and then the car was invented. Now people will drive couple of blocks to go somewhere instead of walking.

That's unquestionably a good thing, though. We're talking about the act of creative expression. You're farming it out to a robot. The entire appeal of art is that it's human expression. It's how we relate to each other as human beings. Art created by a robot that's just scanning other people's work and spitting back a facsimile isn't art at all. It has no value. It's nothing.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
ocho wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

That's unquestionably a good thing, though. We're talking about the act of creative expression. You're farming it out to a robot. The entire appeal of art is that it's human expression. It's how we relate to each other as human beings. Art created by a robot that's just scanning other people's work and spitting back a facsimile isn't art at all. It has no value. It's nothing.

It's not always a good thing. People were more fit back in the days. Obesity is a big problem in the world these days because people are lazier than they were back in the days.

I'm not arguing that you are wrong about the AI. In fact I totally agree with you. I have a 5 year old son and I worry all the time about how he will be when he grows up because of all these AI technology. Only possible creativity I can think of is the type of questions he will be asking the AI. It's like when the navigation was invented. When I first learned to drive, I had to rely on the Thomas Guide to map out where I needed go so it would be in my memory. Now with the navigation the younger generation don't even bother to remember how they got to their destination because they'll just keep using the navi.

I know it sounds insensitive when I say since the AI is already here I mind as well use it but that's exactly how I feel. Not trying to be insensitive at all. Part of me making a living is writing blogs and if the AI is going to help me then I will use it because I'll do whatever it takes to provide a better life for my family. Besides you still have to come up with the ideas and how you want to write it. So it's not 100% robot. Yet.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
I love it. Was addicted to midjourney for a while but have really latched on to the writing platforms. Being on the creative side of things AI is undoubtedly a great tool, unfortunately, we never leave things as just being tools.

AI is the antithesis of creativity.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Taking away people's sense of purpose, expression and creativity. What could go wrong?

I think there will be some who take creativity to another level. It will help them go from point A to point K right now with speed. From here creative time can be spent taking it from point K to Z and we will see that with more regularity. There will be great art that comes from this...and a whole bunch of mediocre, lazy (bleep). But there will be phenomenal, collaborative art in various forms.

It took me a while to realize this...and it's depressing at first. And then it opens up new possibilities. So some will get steamrolled, some will find new inspiration. But I do think most people/artists are trying to write it off right now.

Well, then tune in next month. Then next year. Then three years from now.

There is no single off switch. It's too late. There is no putting it back in the bottle.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

We’ll just keep devaluing people until nobody matters anymore.

It's hard to say. Maybe people will begin to matter more. Maybe authenticity becomes more valued. Maybe what we value becomes more in focus.

My friend's 10 year old wanted to ask AI if life was real.

...Right?

He's 10. This generation is going to be going through some (bleep).

We asked AI (this wasn't a straight Chat GPT AI...) that question for him.

It basically said ... it's as real as the love you feel for each other.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

I think there will be some who take creativity to another level. It will help them go from point A to point K right now with speed. From here creative time can be spent taking it from point K to Z and we will see that with more regularity. There will be great art that comes from this...and a whole bunch of mediocre, lazy (bleep). But there will be phenomenal, collaborative art in various forms.

It took me a while to realize this...and it's depressing at first. And then it opens up new possibilities. So some will get steamrolled, some will find new inspiration. But I do think most people/artists are trying to write it off right now.

There is no single off switch. It's too late. There is no putting it back in the bottle.

That’s an optimistic take on something that’s going to devastate countless industries. All that speed might be great for a very select few (particularly those already at the very top) but in its wake will a tremendous amount of people’s jobs, livelihoods, purposes, creative outlets. Will it result in richer, more satisfying art? I doubt it. It’ll likely just be faster and easier. As a result, people will be eliminated from their vocations faster and easier.

I agree it’s too late and there’s no going back. I wish I could share in the optimism that it’ll just be a tool to help working people create things. The reality I fear is it will just replace them. Our society just doesn’t really value people.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject:

I'm not remotely worried about AI. But maybe it's because my profession is grounded in science and not art.

I utilize AI in my work. But it can't be relied on unless (a) I already know the correct answer I'm asking it or (b) I can test and verify its accuracy. AI produces really convincing, inaccurate information.

I don't think we're close to using AI as a replacement for people in most industries. You'll always need people with technical skills working with it. Using it as a supplemental tool.

No company wants to compromise their proprietary information by relying on open platform AIs. They can develop it in-house using structures built publicly.

But when you start customizing the machine learning, you need knowledgeable people at the task you want the AI to perform. To not only help with its development but to check its accuracy throughout. People who can evaluate why its producing poor results in X or Y case. I'm not talking about coders. I'm talking about people proficient in the task AI is being used for.

And also, companies will always want a scapegoat. A human scapegoat. If you build everything on AI. And the machine learning ends up producing poor results. Companies will want people to blame. Not the technological infrastructure that reaches across its platform. That will devastate consumer confidence. Not only for that company specifically. But for other companies in that same field.

Calculators didn't eliminate mathematicians, self driving cars didn't eliminate Uber/Lyft drivers, and automated checkout machines didn't eliminate service workers. Even the video I posted in this thread has inaccuracies that could be improved with a human touch. I've seen AI photos that gives people too many teeth and fingers. And AI chats that get corrupted by trolls. You'll always need people working with the AI.

It will shift things. Make workers even more proficient. Make some people change fields. But don't worry, we'll continue to have the majority of Americans working jobs they aren't properly compensated for based on revenue, productivity, and cost of living.

But if I'm wrong and I'm replaced by AI. And I'm receiving UBI to not work. There are worse alternatives.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject:

I fail to see why AI wouldn't eliminate a large portion of science jobs. The big mega corporations would probably find its cheaper in the long run to have AI robots doing the same job without threats from humans complaining about work conditions, unionization or a 40 hour work week.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

That’s an optimistic take on something that’s going to devastate countless industries. All that speed might be great for a very select few (particularly those already at the very top) but in its wake will a tremendous amount of people’s jobs, livelihoods, purposes, creative outlets. Will it result in richer, more satisfying art? I doubt it. It’ll likely just be faster and easier. As a result, people will be eliminated from their vocations faster and easier.

I agree it’s too late and there’s no going back. I wish I could share in the optimism that it’ll just be a tool to help working people create things. The reality I fear is it will just replace them. Our society just doesn’t really value people.

Oh, I absolutely think it will devastate jobs and industries and turn lives upside down.

Evolution is beautiful but not pretty. And parts of this are going to get very, very ugly.

And bad agents and the killing industries are going to probably kill us all. We are giving ego-filled, fundamentalist consciousness powerful tech created by higher consciousness? That will come back to bite humanity badly. Our obsession with killing will likely mean it’s game over versus game on.

Not exactly optimist here, lol… I’m going to work on fighting the good fight. But it’s too late to fight AI. Millions of people have a bottle and genies are about to pop out everywhere. There is some seriously high art to be made that can help, though.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I fail to see why AI wouldn't eliminate a large portion of science jobs. The big mega corporations would probably find its cheaper in the long run to have AI robots doing the same job without threats from humans complaining about work conditions, unionization or a 40 hour work week.

Businesses need people/consumers to survive, which means people need jobs.

data analyst type functions IMHO will be the first to be affected, but for the most part human nature is what separates organizations.

Creatively, storytellers both visually and written word can certainly be enhanced by AI but not pushed out unless they refuse to adapt.

Wasnt it VOX who went the AI route for content? They recently folded IIRC.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:37 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Well, we agree on one thing: there's no "off switch" at this point.

As for the rest, I couldn't disagree more with what is a naive and dismissive mindset regarding the encroachment of AI on creative fields.

First of all, creative people are already plenty creative all on their own. They have been since that first person figured out how to put pigments on a cave wall to make an image that expressed a message. They don't need a computer to jump start them.

Secondly, this idea you state that "sure some people will get steamrolled, but a few will find 'inspiration'" followed by the obvious implication that people in the creative world are reacting unreasonably to the obvious negative implications they face is offensive. And it's also indicative of the attitude that lead us to where we are in regards to the distribution of wealth: Who gives a (bleep) about a middle class as long as a tiny handful of billionaires rise to the top? That's no different than saying, who cares of the creative fields are decimated by AI as long as a select few manage to corner the market?

As we have seen in this thread, there are people who will use AI as an excuse to do less creative work and let AI do the heavy lifting. While you see that as a means of potentially elevating a select few while separating the wheat from the chaff, the reality is it leads to an accelerated stratification of how creative fields are dealt with in the workplace. You may not be aware, but there is a strike going on the entertainment industry lead by the Writer's Guild. While there are multiple issues in play that lead to the strike, one is how AI will affect the industry moving forward and how it could lead to the reduction of income for those in the field. The tiny handful of CEO's, who only care about the profits that justify their INSANE level of financial gain, will exploit the hell out of AI. Their position will be, "Why do I need a creative team? I can just have a computer do the bulk of the work and have a skeleton crew to double check the computer's work.

Sure, there may be a tiny handful of creatives who manage to find a way to rise above a system that crushes a huge number of equally talented peers who weren't fortunate enough too make it into the hugely diminished pool created by the implementation of AI, but is that really a world you want to live in? A few entitled elites dictating what content you get to have access to?

The reality is, if we move forward with just letting AI become more and more prolific, it is inevitable that humanity will suffer because of the displacement AI creates.

AI is not an advent we should simply embrace. It's powerful force that we need to be wary of because it's potential to do harm far outweighs the few specific areas it can be useful.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:45 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I'm not remotely worried about AI. But maybe it's because my profession is grounded in science and not art.

I utilize AI in my work.
But it can't be relied on unless (a) I already know the correct answer I'm asking it or (b) I can test and verify its accuracy. AI produces really convincing, inaccurate information.

I don't think we're close to using AI as a replacement for people in most industries. You'll always need people with technical skills working with it. Using it as a supplemental tool.

No company wants to compromise their proprietary information by relying on open platform AIs. They can develop it in-house using structures built publicly.

But when you start customizing the machine learning, you need knowledgeable people at the task you want the AI to perform. To not only help with its development but to check its accuracy throughout. People who can evaluate why its producing poor results in X or Y case. I'm not talking about coders. I'm talking about people proficient in the task AI is being used for.

And also, companies will always want a scapegoat. A human scapegoat. If you build everything on AI. And the machine learning ends up producing poor results. Companies will want people to blame. Not the technological infrastructure that reaches across its platform. That will devastate consumer confidence. Not only for that company specifically. But for other companies in that same field.

Calculators didn't eliminate mathematicians, self driving cars didn't eliminate Uber/Lyft drivers, and automated checkout machines didn't eliminate service workers. Even the video I posted in this thread has inaccuracies that could be improved with a human touch. I've seen AI photos that gives people too many teeth and fingers. And AI chats that get corrupted by trolls. You'll always need people working with the AI.

It will shift things. Make workers even more proficient. Make some people change fields. But don't worry, we'll continue to have the majority of Americans working jobs they aren't properly compensated for based on revenue, productivity, and cost of living.

But if I'm wrong and I'm replaced by AI. And I'm receiving UBI to not work. There are worse alternatives.

Sure, AI is all good because it's helpful to you, so why be concerned that it might create problems for others, right?

As far as when it does impact your world, believe me, UBI won't help you because the disparity of wealth will be so huge and concentrated, those who have wealth and power will not give a damn whether a UBI will give you a decent quality of life.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:46 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

It's absolutely incredible what's in motion right now. What do you think is going to be the inflection point where the segmentation of employable people is going to be reduced - at least in non-manual labor work.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:55 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I utilize AI in my work.
But it can't be relied on unless (a) I already know the correct answer I'm asking it or (b) I can test and verify its accuracy. AI produces really convincing, inaccurate information.

Sure, AI is all good because it's helpful to you, so why be concerned that it might create problems for others, right?

As far as when it does impact your world, believe me, UBI won't help you because the disparity of wealth will be so huge and concentrated, those who have wealth and power will not give a damn whether a UBI will give you a decent quality of life.

Jobs will be segmented down into a very elite human capital work force. If AI is as deflationary as it looks to me so far, and is trending towards exponential improvement (compute + AI engines), it should at best case suppress work salaries if you are needed to work in impacted industries.

Depending on how productive it leads to GDP, you can argue it leads to supply abundance and you can funnel that back into a UBI. But ultimately the delta between the elite and everyone else will grow even with UBI due to the few who control the data.

My suspicion is an increasing trend towards a degradation of quality of life, while "financial" metrics improve. An increasing trend in America of people being unhappy, everyone knowing many people are unhappy yet it's difficult to navigate because of how we've setup the system.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 11:09 pm    Post subject:

I remember how upset I was when computers began replacing the nice ladies who were my telephone Operators as a kid

Wendy's to begin replacing drive-thru staff with AI chatbots
By Loz Blain
May 10, 2023
https://newatlas.com/technology/wendys-ai-drive-thru/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: