Season is over (personal opinion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
National leadership in this crisis is sorely lacking. Stocks are crashing today due to a lack of credibility in the US's ability to prioritize this pandemic. And there's a reason for the public to be concerned about our response that goes far beyond political posturing.

Closing incoming flights from mainland Europe may be a step, but the problem is, this virus is already here. And we have no idea how widespread it is. Testing kits are still not available for nearly the number of people who want to or need to be tested. The 1,300 figure being thrown out there as infected right now is based on people tested in a situation where most people can't get tested. A lot of people who have this bug therefore are not being tracked or quarantined.

Insurance companies hold the purse strings for treatment, and until yesterday, even getting tested. As it stands, the uninsured can't afford treatment and there are a lot of uninsured/underinsured Americans.

Many companies don't accommodate paid leave for more than a few days. This puts a lot of people into the unfortunate choice - do I self quarantine so I don't spread this virus, or do I keep my job?

A vaccine to treat this in time? That's a pipe dream. 2021 is likely if testing goes extremely well, but by then many of us will have already had this bug if we don't take serious preventive measures.

The US isn't taking anywhere close to the kind of actions Asian countries have taken to contain this virus, which is much more like pneumonia than 'just a flu.' So don't get complacent because China plateaued. They took drastic measures to get there. Italy didn't early on, until they realized how badly this thing could spread, then their hospitals were overrun and they pretty much had to shut the whole country down. Are we doing any better in prevention than Italy? How do we know we don't have the same situation in store for us if we're not testing? Think about it.

The CDC has declared this a global pandemic, it's contagious enough that, if not contained, 60% of the population could get this bug, and it appears that, where testing is adequate, the fatality rate might be as low as 1%, with a big margin for error, and highly skewed towards older people and people with any complicating medical conditions. If you do the math, that's a million if not several million Americans potentially dying from this bug, based on their guidance. That's where comments from posters trying to downplay this get very annoying.

The best prevention is to take this seriously and expect all of the steps above to get some serious attention, and not be satisfied by token gestures like closing incoming flights from Europe.

Well said.

King Randle wrote:
Useless...how shallow minded you are....your theory is we're all getting it too late...wow...and hatred of minorities...I'm Hispanic....but sure I hate minorities. ignorance at it's best.

How is this shallow? These are health experts making these statements. People who actually know what they are talking about. It's not a theory, it's a fact. The virus is here. We need to concentrate on getting test kits out there and testing everyone, help people get paid leave so they don't have to pick between keeping a job or going into work sick, we need to have health care services for people who are sick, and we need to do a better job of containment. Look at the post I just quoted above.

Keeping people out of the country is not going to do anything since the virus is already here. If this was two months or even last month, you would have a case for keeping people out, but now, it's too late. We need to help the people who currently have the virus in the country from spreading it.

Also, just cause you're Hispanic doesn't mean you can't have hatred towards minorities or even your own race, especially if you support these types of policies that adversely affect said minorities.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject:

People will soon seen how unprepared and messed up our healthcare system is.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
People without any medical or public health training should refrain from commenting much on this topic, what I've already seen posted here is not helpful and is generally pretty uninformed

It’s ok, I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
People will soon seen how unprepared and messed up our healthcare system is.

Well CDC, FEMA, FDA all look amateur hour so far too, this whole thing is a debacle compared to South Korea or Singapore.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject:

lets look at the bright side.. the Clippers still cant make it out of the Western Conference
skin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject:

Can the mods lock this thread?
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
l4kerz wrote:
it'll be an asterisk year

Maybe, but this was out of the league's hands.

Agreed, it really was. If my gym (24 hour fitness) was completely empty this morning, I can imagine why the NBA would take this level of precaution.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
lets look at the bright side.. the Clippers still cant make it out of the Western Conference

OK THAT got me laughing!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
They weren’t regular playoffs if there was no regular season. They were amended to fit the circumstances in order to make a profit. I have no problem with owners wanting to profit but I don’t have to support it. We will see but there is already talk of shortening the season, shortening early playoff rounds. Not at all normal.

If you are looking at this simply as NBA owners trying to profit and nothing else, I'd say you have it all wrong. The NBA would prefer to have a playoffs if that can be done safely for a lot of reasons:

-- The owners and players would rather make money than not make money, of course. Who wouldn't? That's the no-duh.
-- The league would rather crown a champion than not crown a champion, even if the season is unusual for reasons outside their control.
-- The league and players would prefer to provide entertainment for fans, if possible.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
They weren’t regular playoffs if there was no regular season. They were amended to fit the circumstances in order to make a profit. I have no problem with owners wanting to profit but I don’t have to support it. We will see but there is already talk of shortening the season, shortening early playoff rounds. Not at all normal.

If you are looking at this simply as NBA owners trying to profit and nothing else, I'd say you have it all wrong. The NBA would prefer to have a playoffs if that can be done safely for a lot of reasons:

-- The owners and players would rather make money than not make money, of course. Who wouldn't? That's the no-duh.
-- The league would rather crown a champion than not crown a champion, even if the season is unusual for reasons outside their control.
-- The league and players would prefer to provide entertainment for fans, if possible.

Hope you're right av.

Would hate to have played this well this season for nothing, especially since we had a goal set in stone and were motivated to reach it.

It's rough.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Hope you're right av.

Would hate to have played this well this season for nothing, especially since we had a goal set in stone and were motivated to reach it.

It's rough.

I tend to agree with AV here too, on all 3 points. I think the NBA and NBA players would all prefer to crown a champion to abandoning the season entirely, provided we can keep them safe from this bug, which is the biggest challenge.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
GTL wrote:
activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Hope you're right av.

It's rough.

I tend to agree with AV here too, on all 3 points. I think the NBA and NBA players would all prefer to crown a champion to abandoning the season entirely, provided we can keep them safe from this bug, which is the biggest challenge.

Agree completely.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Hope you're right av.

It's rough.

I keep things in perspective.

In the scope of the entire pandemic, the NBA and Lakers are trivial.

I hope the season plays out, but if it doesn't it's no big deal. It's just a game people play for entertainment.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
National leadership in this crisis is sorely lacking. Stocks are crashing today due to a lack of credibility in the US's ability to prioritize this pandemic. And there's a reason for the public to be concerned about our response that goes far beyond political posturing.

Closing incoming flights from mainland Europe may be a step, but the problem is, this virus is already here. And we have no idea how widespread it is. Testing kits are still not available for nearly the number of people who want to or need to be tested. The 1,300 figure being thrown out there as infected right now is based on people tested in a situation where most people can't get tested. A lot of people who have this bug therefore are not being tracked or quarantined.

Insurance companies hold the purse strings for treatment, and until yesterday, even getting tested. As it stands, the uninsured can't afford treatment and there are a lot of uninsured/underinsured Americans.

Many companies don't accommodate paid leave for more than a few days. This puts a lot of people into the unfortunate choice - do I self quarantine so I don't spread this virus, or do I keep my job?

A vaccine to treat this in time? That's a pipe dream. 2021 is likely if testing goes extremely well, but by then many of us will have already had this bug if we don't take serious preventive measures.

The US isn't taking anywhere close to the kind of actions Asian countries have taken to contain this virus, which is much more like pneumonia than 'just a flu.' So don't get complacent because China plateaued. They took drastic measures to get there. Italy didn't early on, until they realized how badly this thing could spread, then their hospitals were overrun and they pretty much had to shut the whole country down. Are we doing any better in prevention than Italy? How do we know we don't have the same situation in store for us if we're not testing? Think about it.

The CDC has declared this a global pandemic, it's contagious enough that, if not contained, 60% of the population could get this bug, and it appears that, where testing is adequate, the fatality rate might be as low as 1%, with a big margin for error, and highly skewed towards older people and people with any complicating medical conditions. If you do the math, that's a million if not several million Americans potentially dying from this bug, based on their guidance. That's where comments from posters trying to downplay this get very annoying.

The best prevention is to take this seriously and expect all of the steps above to get some serious attention, and not be satisfied by token gestures like closing incoming flights from Europe.

Well said.

King Randle wrote:
Useless...how shallow minded you are....your theory is we're all getting it too late...wow...and hatred of minorities...I'm Hispanic....but sure I hate minorities. ignorance at it's best.

How is this shallow? These are health experts making these statements. People who actually know what they are talking about. It's not a theory, it's a fact. The virus is here. We need to concentrate on getting test kits out there and testing everyone, help people get paid leave so they don't have to pick between keeping a job or going into work sick, we need to have health care services for people who are sick, and we need to do a better job of containment. Look at the post I just quoted above.

Keeping people out of the country is not going to do anything since the virus is already here. If this was two months or even last month, you would have a case for keeping people out, but now, it's too late. We need to help the people who currently have the virus in the country from spreading it.

Also, just cause you're Hispanic doesn't mean you can't have hatred towards minorities or even your own race, especially if you support these types of policies that adversely affect said minorities.

Well some experts disagree..hence all flights from Europe coming in cancelled not to mention China. The logic of your so called experts makes zero sense...More people in the country with the virus is worse than less people in the country with the virus. You stick to your experts and I'll stick to mine. I support keeping the people of the United States safe and if that means keeping everyone out until we figure this out then I support that 100%...and no that doesn't mean I have hatred toward minorities...It means I love this country and keeping everyone in this country safe. Not trying to change anyone's mind...just my thoughts...move on.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
GTL wrote:
activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Hope you're right av.

It's rough.

Of course the NBA and players would like to crown a champion. Question is how realistic is it? The economy is tanking, people are dying, and the healthy ones are living in fear, no vaccine until maybe next year, virus can stay in air for 3 hours, etc...This is a total disaster and I don't see how the league can resume the season until this mess gets sorted out which I don't see happening anytime soon.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject:

I feel like with ALL sports, the blueprint should be:

1. Get all the players n staff tested.
2. As long as everyone is "clean," let them play in empty stadiums, so people can still watch on TV.
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject:

I bet Kawhi Leonard is loving this load management now...
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I feel like with ALL sports, the blueprint should be:

1. Get all the players n staff tested.
2. As long as everyone is "clean," let them play in empty stadiums, so people can still watch on TV.

3. Keep testing them indefinitely.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject:

logical24 wrote:

I think that if the NBA ends the regular season right now, LeBron will love this rest. A rested LeBron for the playoffs would be great.
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
logical24 wrote:

I think that if the NBA ends the regular season right now, LeBron will love this rest. A rested LeBron for the playoffs would be great.

Lowkey though if the season continues regularly after the 30 days blazers would have everyone back fully healthy lol I do not wanna face them first round if they make a run.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Well said.

King Randle wrote:

Well some experts disagree..hence all flights from Europe coming in cancelled not to mention China. The logic of your so called experts makes zero sense...More people in the country with the virus is worse than less people in the country with the virus. You stick to your experts and I'll stick to mine. I support keeping the people of the United States safe and if that means keeping everyone out until we figure this out then I support that 100%...and no that doesn't mean I have hatred toward minorities...It means I love this country and keeping everyone in this country safe. Not trying to change anyone's mind...just my thoughts...move on.

Do you have a link to these experts so I can see their reasoning and rationale? I'm really curious about what they have to say. Thanks.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject:

BTW guys a short note on the incidence of the virus.

I am a doctor at a Health Center in LA and until last Monday, we couldn't do any testing on the virus because the lab couldn't handle the load due to lack of kits.

I believe they only allowed tests from hospitals. So since last Monday is when they allow testing from non-hospital facilities, we might continue to see a spike in cases.

Additionally know that the testing in China, used to take weeks to get results so they had a major backlog. But than they got testing that can be done in hours. So as a result there was a spike in cases...now the backlog is cleared, there is a flattening of cases.

So there may have never really been a "true" spike in cases in China nor a flattening. It is simply a backlog. It is possible the US is going through something similar

Last edited by lar9149 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:

I am a doctor at a Health Center in LA and until last Monday, we couldn't do any testing on the virus because the lab couldn't handle the load due to lack of kits.

I believe they only allowed tests from hospitals. So since last Monday is when they allow testing from non-hospital facilities, we might continue to see a spike in cases.

There won't actually be a spike in cases, of course. There will be more accurate information about how many cases already exist.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

There won't actually be a spike in cases, of course. There will be more accurate information about how many cases already exist.

Exactly..China had something similar which I added to my explanation above.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

Exactly..China had something similar which I added to my explanation above.

Thanks guys, this is helpful info...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22
Jump to: