NBA Season COVID-19 Thread (**No politics or racial/ethnic remarks or personal insults**)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 128, 129, 130  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
An inhaled formulation of interferon beta, significantly decreased the chances of hospitalized patients developing severe COVID-19 compared to placebo.

SNG001, the inhaled formulation of interferon beta, significantly decreased the chances of hospitalized patients developing severe COVID-19 compared to placebo, according to Synairgen, as reported by FirstWord Pharma.

A total of 221 patients were included in the SG016 study of randomly selected patients; 101 were in-hospital patients with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 virus and 120 patients remained at home.

The patients received either active or placebo treatment that was delivered by mesh nebulizer once daily for up to 14 days. The primary endpoint was the patients’ change in condition during the treatment period.

Active treatment cuts severe disease development dramatically
Synairgen, a UK-based company, reported that compared with placebo the odds of developing severe disease during the treatment period decreased by 79% for hospitalized patients receiving SNG001, and that patients who received SNG001 were more than twice as likely to recover from the virus during the treatment period versus those randomized to placebo.

Importantly, during treatment, the measure of breathlessness was “markedly reduced” in patients who received SNG001 compared to placebo.

“The results confirm our belief that interferon beta…has huge potential as an inhaled drug to be able to restore the lung’s immune response, enhancing protection, accelerating recovery and countering the impact of SARS-CoV-2 virus,” Tom Wilkinson, the chief study investigator said.

Synairgen also reported that patients with more severe disease upon hospital admission who were treated with SNG001 had an increased non-significant likelihood of discharge.

The median times to discharge were 6 days and 9 days, respectively, for SNG001-treated patients and placebo patients.

Other observations were that patients in the SNG001 group appeared more than twice as likely to recover by the end of treatment, although the difference did not reach significance, and by day 28, the SNG001-treated patients had significantly better odds of recovery.

Three patients in the placebo group died; no deaths occurred in the SNG001 group.

Synairgen is now working with regulators and other key groups to obtain approval of this potential COVID-19 treatment.

https://www.ophthalmologytimes.com/view/ocular-trauma-in-the-covid-19-era

Awesome share Cal1. Interferon..to me that sounds like a great treatment. Interferon simply signals nearby cells of a virus invasion. Think of it like in the military where they signal nearby bases of an enemy attack..the bases will be better prepared. This sounds like something that should work great and since its inhaled, it can be used by perhaps mild & moderate cases. With a 79% reduction of developing a severe case, that sounds like a big impact.

I am surprised this treatment hasn't been talked about much because Interferon has been used to treat Heptatitis B&C (inflammation of the liver also caused by a virus), although it has to be injected and has severe side effects. Must be why this one is inhaled, which should reduce side effects. The fact that it is inhaled rather than in ..I did find the below article stating its possible use for COVID-19 in May due to a study in Wuhan, China although the study was small

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2020/05/15/Hepatitis-drug-interferon-alpha-2b-might-treat-COVID-19-effectively/8901589490924/
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
An inhaled formulation of interferon beta, significantly decreased the chances of hospitalized patients developing severe COVID-19 compared to placebo.

SNG001, the inhaled formulation of interferon beta, significantly decreased the chances of hospitalized patients developing severe COVID-19 compared to placebo, according to Synairgen, as reported by FirstWord Pharma.

A total of 221 patients were included in the SG016 study of randomly selected patients; 101 were in-hospital patients with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 virus and 120 patients remained at home.

The patients received either active or placebo treatment that was delivered by mesh nebulizer once daily for up to 14 days. The primary endpoint was the patients’ change in condition during the treatment period.

Synairgen, a UK-based company, reported that compared with placebo the odds of developing severe disease during the treatment period decreased by 79% for hospitalized patients receiving SNG001, and that patients who received SNG001 were more than twice as likely to recover from the virus during the treatment period versus those randomized to placebo.

Importantly, during treatment, the measure of breathlessness was “markedly reduced” in patients who received SNG001 compared to placebo.

“The results confirm our belief that interferon beta…has huge potential as an inhaled drug to be able to restore the lung’s immune response, enhancing protection, accelerating recovery and countering the impact of SARS-CoV-2 virus,” Tom Wilkinson, the chief study investigator said.

Synairgen also reported that patients with more severe disease upon hospital admission who were treated with SNG001 had an increased non-significant likelihood of discharge.

The median times to discharge were 6 days and 9 days, respectively, for SNG001-treated patients and placebo patients.

Other observations were that patients in the SNG001 group appeared more than twice as likely to recover by the end of treatment, although the difference did not reach significance, and by day 28, the SNG001-treated patients had significantly better odds of recovery.

Three patients in the placebo group died; no deaths occurred in the SNG001 group.

Synairgen is now working with regulators and other key groups to obtain approval of this potential COVID-19 treatment.

Awesome share Cal1. Interferon..to me that sounds like a great treatment. Interferon simply signals nearby cells of a virus invasion. Think of it like in the military where they signal nearby bases of an enemy attack..the bases will be better prepared. This sounds like something that should work great and since its inhaled, it can be used by perhaps mild & moderate cases. With a 79% reduction of developing a severe case, that sounds like a big impact.

I am surprised this treatment hasn't been talked about much because Interferon has been used to treat Heptatitis B&C (inflammation of the liver also caused by a virus), although it has to be injected and has severe side effects. Must be why this one is inhaled, which should reduce side effects. The fact that it is inhaled rather than in ..I did find the below article stating its possible use for COVID-19 in May due to a study in Wuhan, China although the study was small

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2020/05/15/Hepatitis-drug-interferon-alpha-2b-might-treat-COVID-19-effectively/8901589490924/

hi, lar, i also did not think much of interferon before for covid. i guess the inhaled version may be the trick.

yes 79% is huge. if this impact remains intact in a large phase 3, then it is the drug we have been waiting for stopping moderate cases from progressing to critical cases...

now i really want to see what combinations of inhaled interferon b with remdesivisir and dexamethasone do in a large study.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject:

bad news on actemra, but we have dexamethasone as an anti-inflammatory that works. now lets hope interfereon beta continues to be near 79%...

Roche’s Phase III COVACTA study of Actemra/RoActemra (tocilizumab) did not meet its primary endpoint of improved clinical status in hospitalized adult patients with severe COVID-19 associated pneumonia. Also, the key secondary endpoints, which included the difference in patient mortality at week four, were not met; however, there was a positive trend in time to hospital discharge in patients treated with Actemra/RoActemra. The COVACTA study did not identify any new safety signals for Actemra/RoActemra.

https://www.contractpharma.com/content-microsite/covid-19/2020-07-30/roches-phase-iii-trial-of-actemra-in-covid-19-misses-primary-endpoint
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

hi, lar, i also did not think much of interferon before for covid. i guess the inhaled version may be the trick.

yes 79% is huge. if this impact remains intact in a large phase 3, then it is the drug we have been waiting for stopping moderate cases from progressing to critical cases...

now i really want to see what combinations of inhaled interferon b with remdesivisir and dexamethasone do in a large study.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Although once interferon is FDA approved, I am confident doctors will use the above combo without a study.

The taught is

mild-moderate cases give inhaled interferon b--resulting in a 79% reduction of progressing to severe

If they still progress to severe, give remdesivirisir and dexamethasone..hard to know the reduction in mortality here, the below article says 62% but that is patients who didn't need mechanical ventilation and on remdesivirisir only.

https://time.com/5865491/remdesivir-covid-study/

Put those together and you talking a strong strong reduction on mortality (79% up front than maybe a 60% for those who still progress)..even if a large study isn't completed on this combo, I think that will be the regimen of medical care for these patients.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

Pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Although once interferon is FDA approved, I am confident doctors will use the above combo without a study.

The taught is

mild-moderate cases give inhaled interferon b--resulting in a 79% reduction of progressing to severe

If they still progress to severe, give remdesivirisir and dexamethasone..hard to know the reduction in mortality here, the below article says 62% but that is patients who didn't need mechanical ventilation and on remdesivirisir only.

https://time.com/5865491/remdesivir-covid-study/

Put those together and you talking a strong strong reduction on mortality (79% up front than maybe a 60% for those who still progress)..even if a large study isn't completed on this combo, I think that will be the regimen of medical care for these patients.

yes, i worked nonstop for a few weeks on our covid project. when i stuck my head out, there is good covid news.

dexamethasone may not have good results for seniors though.

lets hope the 79% phase 2 result stays high in the phase 3 trial.

it is interesting that there are foreign companies making remdesivir but we are not importing it... i would imagine they have more production capacity than gilead. they licensed it but there were no supply requirements coming back?

next up would be some results from regeneron and other monoclonal antibodies used sort of like a vaccine.

turns out my college classmate is sort of the chief science person at a mRNA vaccine company. she said that it is hit and miss for vaccines to work as it depends on which part of the viral protein will the antibodies bind to...
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject:

I don't expect much more than what we already have and know about remdisivir, whether used alone or in combo.

Dex will continue to be a mains stay.

I suspect monoclonal antibodies will break through for more approved widespread use before interferon.

There are several other re-purposed drug candidates as therapeutics in the pipeline that are also pretty promising
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject:

yet another promising drug RLF-100 for severe covid19 cases.

https://www.technologynetworks.com/tn/news/rlf-100-trial-shows-rapid-recovery-from-respiratory-failure-in-critically-ill-patients-with-covid-338232

NeuroRx, Inc. and Relief Therapeutics Holdings AG (SIX:RLF, OTC:RLFTF) “Relief” today announced that RLF-100 (aviptadil) showed rapid recovery from respiratory failure in the most critically ill patients with COVID-19. At the same time, independent researchers have reported that aviptadil blocked replication of the SARS coronavirus in human lung cells and monocytes.

RLF-100 has been granted Fast Track designation by FDA and is being developed as a Material Threat Medical Countermeasure in cooperation with the National Institutes of Health and other federal agencies. Further research will be conducted.

The first report of rapid clinical recovery under emergency use IND was posted by doctors from Houston Methodist Hospital. The report describes a 54-year-old man who developed COVID-19 while being treated for rejection of a double lung transplant and who came off a ventilator within four days.1 Similar results were subsequently seen in more than 15 patients treated under emergency use IND and an FDA expanded access protocol which is open to patients too ill to be admitted to the ongoing Phase 2/3 FDA trial.

Patients with Critical COVID-19 were seen to have a rapid clearing of classic pneumonitis findings on x-ray, accompanied by an improvement in blood oxygen and a 50% or greater average decrease in laboratory markers associated with COVID-19 inflammation.2 clinicaltrials.gov NCT04311697.

The clinical findings may be based on evidence that VIP inhibits the replication of the SARS-CoV-2 virus in human lung cells and immune cells (monocytes). The work was reported by Brazilian researchers working in a level-4 biocontainment laboratory.3 The same researchers reported a case-control study in which patients who survived being on ventilators for COVID-19 had significantly higher levels of VIP in their blood than those who died of respiratory failure.

“No other antiviral agent has demonstrated rapid recovery from viral infection and demonstrated laboratory inhibition of viral replication,” said Prof. Jonathan Javitt, CEO and Chairman of NeuroRx. “We are conducting placebo-controlled trials to see whether the observations made in the case-control and open-label studies will be confirmed for less ill patients with COVID-19-related respiratory failure. Our independent Data Monitoring Committee will be conducting an interim analysis of these data later this month.”

About VIP in Lung Injury

Vasoactive Intestinal Polypeptide (VIP) was first discovered by the late Dr. Sami Said in 1970. Although first identified in the intestinal tract, VIP is now known to be produced throughout the body and to be primarily concentrated in the lungs. VIP has been shown in more than 100 peer-reviewed studies to have potent anti-inflammatory/anti-cytokine activity in animal models of respiratory distress, acute lung injury, and inflammation. Most importantly, 70% of the VIP in the body is bound to a rare cell in the lung, the Alveolar Type II cell, which is critical for the transmission of oxygen to the body. VIP has a 20-year history of safe use in humans in multiple human trials for sarcoidosis, pulmonary fibrosis, asthma/allergy, and pulmonary hypertension.

COVID-19-related death is primarily caused by respiratory failure. Before this acute phase, however, there is evidence of early viral infection of the alveolar type 2 cells. These cells are known to have angiotensin converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) receptors at high levels, which serve as the route of entry for the SARS-CoV-2 into the cells. coronaviruses are shown to replicate in alveolar type 2 cells, but not in the more numerous type 1 cells. 2 These same type 2 alveolar cells have high concentrations of VIP receptors on their cell surfaces giving rise to the hypothesis that VIP could specifically protect these cells from injury.

Injury to the type 2 alveolar cells is an increasingly plausible mechanism of COVID-19 disease progression. (Mason 2020). These specialized cells replenish the more common type 1 cells that line the lungs. More importantly, type 2 cells manufacture surfactant that coats the lung and is essential for oxygen exchange. Other than RLF-100, no currently proposed treatments for COVID-19 specifically target these vulnerable type 2 cells.

About RLF-100

RLF-100 (aviptadil) is a patented formulation of Vasoactive Intestinal Polypeptide (VIP) that was developed based on Dr. Said’s original work and was originally approved for human trials by the FDA in 2001 and the European Medicines Agency in 2005. VIP is known to be highly concentrated in the lungs and to inhibit a variety of inflammatory cytokines. Relief’s predecessor company, Mondo Biotech, was awarded Orphan Drug Designation in 2001 by the U.S. FDA for aviptadil in the treatment of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome and in 2005 for treatment of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Mondo was awarded Orphan Drug Designation by the European Medicines Agency in 2006 for the treatment of acute lung injury and in 2007 for the treatment of sarcoidosis. Both the U.S. FDA and the EMEA have granted Investigational New Drug licenses for human trials of aviptadil.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:

https://www.technologynetworks.com/tn/news/rlf-100-trial-shows-rapid-recovery-from-respiratory-failure-in-critically-ill-patients-with-covid-338232

NeuroRx, Inc. and Relief Therapeutics Holdings AG (SIX:RLF, OTC:RLFTF) “Relief” today announced that RLF-100 (aviptadil) showed rapid recovery from respiratory failure in the most critically ill patients with COVID-19. At the same time, independent researchers have reported that aviptadil blocked replication of the SARS coronavirus in human lung cells and monocytes.

RLF-100 has been granted Fast Track designation by FDA and is being developed as a Material Threat Medical Countermeasure in cooperation with the National Institutes of Health and other federal agencies. Further research will be conducted.

The first report of rapid clinical recovery under emergency use IND was posted by doctors from Houston Methodist Hospital. The report describes a 54-year-old man who developed COVID-19 while being treated for rejection of a double lung transplant and who came off a ventilator within four days.1 Similar results were subsequently seen in more than 15 patients treated under emergency use IND and an FDA expanded access protocol which is open to patients too ill to be admitted to the ongoing Phase 2/3 FDA trial.

Patients with Critical COVID-19 were seen to have a rapid clearing of classic pneumonitis findings on x-ray, accompanied by an improvement in blood oxygen and a 50% or greater average decrease in laboratory markers associated with COVID-19 inflammation.2 clinicaltrials.gov NCT04311697.

The clinical findings may be based on evidence that VIP inhibits the replication of the SARS-CoV-2 virus in human lung cells and immune cells (monocytes). The work was reported by Brazilian researchers working in a level-4 biocontainment laboratory.3 The same researchers reported a case-control study in which patients who survived being on ventilators for COVID-19 had significantly higher levels of VIP in their blood than those who died of respiratory failure.

“No other antiviral agent has demonstrated rapid recovery from viral infection and demonstrated laboratory inhibition of viral replication,” said Prof. Jonathan Javitt, CEO and Chairman of NeuroRx. “We are conducting placebo-controlled trials to see whether the observations made in the case-control and open-label studies will be confirmed for less ill patients with COVID-19-related respiratory failure. Our independent Data Monitoring Committee will be conducting an interim analysis of these data later this month.”

About VIP in Lung Injury

Vasoactive Intestinal Polypeptide (VIP) was first discovered by the late Dr. Sami Said in 1970. Although first identified in the intestinal tract, VIP is now known to be produced throughout the body and to be primarily concentrated in the lungs. VIP has been shown in more than 100 peer-reviewed studies to have potent anti-inflammatory/anti-cytokine activity in animal models of respiratory distress, acute lung injury, and inflammation. Most importantly, 70% of the VIP in the body is bound to a rare cell in the lung, the Alveolar Type II cell, which is critical for the transmission of oxygen to the body. VIP has a 20-year history of safe use in humans in multiple human trials for sarcoidosis, pulmonary fibrosis, asthma/allergy, and pulmonary hypertension.

COVID-19-related death is primarily caused by respiratory failure. Before this acute phase, however, there is evidence of early viral infection of the alveolar type 2 cells. These cells are known to have angiotensin converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) receptors at high levels, which serve as the route of entry for the SARS-CoV-2 into the cells. coronaviruses are shown to replicate in alveolar type 2 cells, but not in the more numerous type 1 cells. 2 These same type 2 alveolar cells have high concentrations of VIP receptors on their cell surfaces giving rise to the hypothesis that VIP could specifically protect these cells from injury.

Injury to the type 2 alveolar cells is an increasingly plausible mechanism of COVID-19 disease progression. (Mason 2020). These specialized cells replenish the more common type 1 cells that line the lungs. More importantly, type 2 cells manufacture surfactant that coats the lung and is essential for oxygen exchange. Other than RLF-100, no currently proposed treatments for COVID-19 specifically target these vulnerable type 2 cells.

About RLF-100

RLF-100 (aviptadil) is a patented formulation of Vasoactive Intestinal Polypeptide (VIP) that was developed based on Dr. Said’s original work and was originally approved for human trials by the FDA in 2001 and the European Medicines Agency in 2005. VIP is known to be highly concentrated in the lungs and to inhibit a variety of inflammatory cytokines. Relief’s predecessor company, Mondo Biotech, was awarded Orphan Drug Designation in 2001 by the U.S. FDA for aviptadil in the treatment of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome and in 2005 for treatment of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Mondo was awarded Orphan Drug Designation by the European Medicines Agency in 2006 for the treatment of acute lung injury and in 2007 for the treatment of sarcoidosis. Both the U.S. FDA and the EMEA have granted Investigational New Drug licenses for human trials of aviptadil.

You caught me cal yes, I am looking at stocks lol... (I notice this is your first post where you list the stock ticker of the company .)
I appreciate your posts, but my journey really started early in the pandemic when a coworker of mine got Covid early back in March, and had to be put in a medically induced Coma.
I started looking at companies just to see who was working on what, but as soon as my coworker friend beat Covid and got back to normal, only then did I start to sniff around the stocks of these companies lol...
OTC's are no good for me, I'm not that savvy of a trader Lol.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject:

So I’m curious say they find the vaccine by the end of 2020 or early 2021 would sports allow fans to get back into the games or would there be a delay until the following year?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/1292460820924792834?s=21
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject:

If there is an approved vaccine by the end of the year, in all likelihood it won't be available to the general public until Summer, maybe late Spring.

1) Healthcare workers
2) Other first responders
3) High risk populations
4) General public

That's the basic order the rollout will probably follow...
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

About VIP in Lung Injury

About RLF-100

You caught me cal yes, I am looking at stocks lol... (I notice this is your first post where you list the stock ticker of the company .)
I appreciate your posts, but my journey really started early in the pandemic when a coworker of mine got Covid early back in March, and had to be put in a medically induced Coma.
I started looking at companies just to see who was working on what, but as soon as my coworker friend beat Covid and got back to normal, only then did I start to sniff around the stocks of these companies lol...
OTC's are no good for me, I'm not that savvy of a trader Lol.

- i told my friends to look into remdesivir back when china was still going through the virus crisis . we considered it and agreed it would not be worth the investment...
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
If there is an approved vaccine by the end of the year, in all likelihood it won't be available to the general public until Summer, maybe late Spring.

1) Healthcare workers
3) High risk populations
4) General public

curious in your reasoning why it would take so long.
i have heard similar projections, but do not understand why 6 months would be needed.
thanks
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
So I’m curious say they find the vaccine by the end of 2020 or early 2021 would sports allow fans to get back into the games or would there be a delay until the following year?

The answer I would give to this inspector as I simply don’t know and not sure if anyone can give a definitive answer.

First a poster above said it maybe not be widely available to the public till summer next year. I suspect it would be sooner but even if that is the case, the expected effectiveness of the vaccine is around 50 percent but some are hoping around 75 percent (see below link). What this is suppose to mean is taking the vaccine reduces you chance of getting the virus by 50 percent. Note flu vaccines effectiveness tend to be around 50 percent also.

According to a survey I recently read 2/3 of Americans would get the vaccine if it was readily available at no costs. So put this together it is possible we would still have to have some sort of public health protection and certain gatherings wouldn’t be allowed like sporting events.

But I am optimistic. There will still be advancement in treatments that should be more effective than today’s treatments as cal1 has been posting several studies. As more vaccines come out more effective ones could become available. Hopefully testing will still have advancements. There are actually self administered home tests that haven’t been implemented.

So put together a vaccine that is 50 percent effective, hopefully it can reach 70 percent or more as more vaccines come out. And maybe over time more Americans will be willing to get it as they get sick of partial lockdowns and so on.

Better treatments, better testing

Than Maybe there is a chance of sporting events of large gatherings. It is just hard to say.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/07/fauci-says-covid-19-vaccine-may-only-be-50-percent-effective/amp/
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject:

Combination of production, implementation pipeline and to a lesser extent possible need for multiple dosing for protective effect....there has obviously been news in the press about how much of this/has or is being addressed...but behind the scenes it's still a pretty big mess...

cal1piggy wrote:
av3773 wrote:

1) Healthcare workers
3) High risk populations
4) General public

i have heard similar projections, but do not understand why 6 months would be needed.
thanks
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
Combination of production, implementation pipeline and to a lesser extent possible need for multiple dosing for protective effect....there has obviously been news in the press about how much of this/has or is being addressed...but behind the scenes it's still a pretty big mess...

cal1piggy wrote:
av3773 wrote:

1) Healthcare workers
3) High risk populations
4) General public

thanks

thanks
one detail i looked into is the cold chain needed to distribute the vaccines.

it seems both the mrna and the vsv vaccine platforms will require -80C storage, which may be a logistics challenge.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

The answer I would give to this inspector as I simply don’t know and not sure if anyone can give a definitive answer.

First a poster above said it maybe not be widely available to the public till summer next year. I suspect it would be sooner but even if that is the case, the expected effectiveness of the vaccine is around 50 percent but some are hoping around 75 percent (see below link). What this is suppose to mean is taking the vaccine reduces you chance of getting the virus by 50 percent. Note flu vaccines effectiveness tend to be around 50 percent also.

According to a survey I recently read 2/3 of Americans would get the vaccine if it was readily available at no costs. So put this together it is possible we would still have to have some sort of public health protection and certain gatherings wouldn’t be allowed like sporting events.

But I am optimistic. There will still be advancement in treatments that should be more effective than today’s treatments as cal1 has been posting several studies. As more vaccines come out more effective ones could become available. Hopefully testing will still have advancements. There are actually self administered home tests that haven’t been implemented.

So put together a vaccine that is 50 percent effective, hopefully it can reach 70 percent or more as more vaccines come out. And maybe over time more Americans will be willing to get it as they get sick of partial lockdowns and so on.

Than Maybe there is a chance of sporting events of large gatherings. It is just hard to say.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/07/fauci-says-covid-19-vaccine-may-only-be-50-percent-effective/amp/

Thanks
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

lar,

if it is 50%, does it mean if you get sick with covid, it will likely be less severe?

i dont mind getting the flu, but not full blown covid...
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

lar,

if it is 50%, does it mean if you get sick with covid, it will likely be less severe?

It actually doesn’t mean that. It simply means you are 50 percent less likely to get it. Although just like the flu vaccine it is expected if you did get virus, it should be less severe.

In experiment terms say the group that gets vaccine 50 of them got the virus And in the control Group 100 got the virus. This would be a 50 percent reduction. And this the minimal requirement the FDA has to pass the vaccine.

Hopefully what they can also determine through trials is like you mentioned, for those that get vaccinated and do get the virus, does it reduce the chance of a severe case and mortality. And if so, how much?

I don’t know if they can determine this via trials or it’s something they have to determine after the public starts taking the vaccine.

If it’s only 50 percent effective, but greatly reduces the mortality to even near zero that be great.

Another thing I hope they look at and I am have been irritated other studies haven’t looked at this and seem to ignore this issue, does it reduce lingering symptoms?

Estimates are that 1/3 of COVID patients experience lingering symptoms and I am not sure how much people realize how deliberating these symptoms can be.

My wife for example got COVID a month ago..luckily myself and my 2 sons tested negative despite all the close contact

She is fine essentially because she is younger. But continues to have brain fog and tiredness that just hits her at any time of day and makes near impossible to work or be a parent for a hour or 2. So how do you work with your employer with this? It’s not easy.

So in short maybe if you get vaccinated, you greatly reduce your chances of having a severe case...but getting a mild case with symptoms like a above that can linger for months would be quite irritating. There are even concerns of permanent effects.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:30 am    Post subject:

A possible "game-changer" in more ways than one ..
https://news.yale.edu/2020/08/15/yales-rapid-covid-19-saliva-test-receives-fda-emergency-use-authorization
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject:

Duplicate

Last edited by lar9149 on Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject:

[quote="lar9149"]
ThePageDude wrote:
A possible "game-changer" in more ways than one ..
https://news.yale.edu/2020/08/15/yales-rapid-covid-19-saliva-test-receives-fda-emergency-use-authorization

Great find there Page dude.

It says the labs will only charge 10 dollars a sample. That’s very affordable because these current rapids tests are super expensive.

Can’t wait to see how they use these tests.

One possibility is using as a take home tests where you deliver your saliva into a small tube. Than take It to A lab and get results within 24 hours.

If employers require it and/or volunteer to provide and pay for the tests, that would increase testing dramatically and definitely help control the virus.

The tests do having a higher false negative than the standard tests, meaning it will miss some cases of people of having the virus. But it is estimated because standard tests have barriers to getting the test, it only captures about 10 percent of actual virus cases.

But this test could translate to more people getting the tests due to being done at home and lower costs. That could mean more virus cases being captured especially asympyomatic cases.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Appreciate the info on this thread. Easy way to get a concise update on what's making progress. Thanks!
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

lar,

Cal1 & inspector, I must actually put a rebuttal to the effectiveness of the vaccine Dr Fauci mentioned of about 50%. I believe it can much higher than that.

Obviously because its Dr Fauci, you have to respect his opinion..but I think he was being conservative.

The 50% effectiveness of the flu vaccine is because the flu mutates, some estimate around 4 mutations exists any given year, and the amount of antibodies the vaccine gives you among other things. In general, less mutation and more antibodies should result in a better vaccine.

The 2 below articles explain that coronavirus doesn't mutate as fast due to a proofreading enzyme that doesn't allow it to mutate as quickly. So far there are 2 mutations identified and the mutation is on the spike protein, but not the same part of the spike protein antibodies attach too..therefore, it shouldn't effect vaccine effectivity.

Additionally, the plan is for people to receive 2 shots, the 2nd one is a booster which will create even more antibodies. There is no booster for the flu vaccine.

Lastly, moderna's vaccine uses a new technology that inserts something called messagener RNA into cells and causing cells to make the spike protein part of the virus, which in turn creates antibodies. Because it doesn't inject a weakened virus nor any part of the virus, in theory, you can inject higher amounts of the vaccine..thus resulting in more antibodies.

So given the above (lack of mutation and more antibodies), it seems reasonable to believe the vaccine can be much more effective than the flu vaccine..according to the 2nd article below (in reference to the oregon clinic), the expert in charge of the trial stated he believes it would be 90% effective.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/the-coronavirus-is-mutating-just-like-most-viruses-but-the-effect-isnt-as-pronounced-as-some-headlines-suggest/ar-BB17YIZg

https://khn.org/news/with-covid-vaccine-trial-rural-oregon-clinic-steps-onto-world-stage/
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

lar,

Cal1 & inspector, I must actually put a rebuttal to the effectiveness of the vaccine Dr Fauci mentioned of about 50%. I believe it can much higher than that.

Obviously because its Dr Fauci, you have to respect his opinion..but I think he was being conservative.

The 50% effectiveness of the flu vaccine is because the flu mutates, some estimate around 4 mutations exists any given year, and the amount of antibodies the vaccine gives you among other things. In general, less mutation and more antibodies should result in a better vaccine.

The 2 below articles explain that coronavirus doesn't mutate as fast due to a proofreading enzyme that doesn't allow it to mutate as quickly. So far there are 2 mutations identified and the mutation is on the spike protein, but not the same part of the spike protein antibodies attach too..therefore, it shouldn't effect vaccine effectivity.

Additionally, the plan is for people to receive 2 shots, the 2nd one is a booster which will create even more antibodies. There is no booster for the flu vaccine.

Lastly, moderna's vaccine uses a new technology that inserts something called messagener RNA into cells and causing cells to make the spike protein part of the virus, which in turn creates antibodies. Because it doesn't inject a weakened virus nor any part of the virus, in theory, you can inject higher amounts of the vaccine..thus resulting in more antibodies.

So given the above (lack of mutation and more antibodies), it seems reasonable to believe the vaccine can be much more effective than the flu vaccine..according to the 2nd article below (in reference to the oregon clinic), the expert in charge of the trial stated he believes it would be 90% effective.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/the-coronavirus-is-mutating-just-like-most-viruses-but-the-effect-isnt-as-pronounced-as-some-headlines-suggest/ar-BB17YIZg

https://khn.org/news/with-covid-vaccine-trial-rural-oregon-clinic-steps-onto-world-stage/

lar

i am going to be very conservative with these rushed vaccines.

personally i am scared of the mrna based vaccine. one of my best friends from college is basically the chief science person at a small company developing one of the mrna vaccines. she tells me it is safe as the mrna will disappear but it is modified to last longer. i asked her what if the mrna somehow complexes with a protein and does not really degrade. obviously that what if is impossible to answer...

i would much prefer to take the viral protein vaccine even if it comes 6 months later.

frankly, if it is a choice between the 'dead' virus vaccines from china or the mrna vaccines, i would take the dead virus one after they had a couple months of mass use...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 128, 129, 130  Next
Page 109 of 130
Jump to: