NBA Season COVID-19 Thread (**No politics or racial/ethnic remarks or personal insults**)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 128, 129, 130  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
“If we don’t start to get people back to work in this country over the next week to two weeks, I don’t believe we can wait until the end of April," Nunes said. "I just don’t know of any economy that’s survived where you’ve unplugged the entire economy and expect things to go back and be normal."

Nunes claims it would be 'way overkill' to cancel school year in California due to coronavirus

Quote:
The comments from Nunes arrived the same day that the Trump administration projected that between 100,000 and 240,000 people in the U.S. could die of COVID-19 even with social distancing requirements in place. President Trump said during a White House briefing that Americans should prepare for a "very, very painful" two weeks.

Quote:
The Trump administration on Sunday extended its advisory urging people to avoid nonessential travel and gatherings of more than 10 people through the end of April.

Nunes has previously downplayed the severity of the outbreak. In mid-March, he said that people needed to "stop panicking," saying that it was “a great time” for those who are healthy to "just go out."

So children should return to school during the peak of the crisis?
What is your point in posting this? Do you agree with Nunes?

Do you?

That's his view and it's out there.

I think it's worthy of discussion.

Unless of course it's another non-issue.

I think it is dangerously ignorant politically motivated pandering.

You said it is worthy of discussion. Love to hear your thoughts.

I think the parents decide for their children...if they are minors.

All my kids are legal age and if the schools open up...it's their biz.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/30/liberty-university-coronavirus-student-positive-jerry-falwell-jr

Well, a school in New York decided to open it's doors just a few days ago, Liberty University, and you can pretty much guess what happens...

Students started spreading coronavirus amongst each other and a dozen got the virus.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
Did you admire Boris Johnson/UK too for his coolness before he reversed course? Just curious.

I'm not convinced that the shutdowns were a good decision. A lot of the arguments in favor of the shutdowns (1) present a false choice between shutdowns and doing nothing at all, (2) are based on statistical models that assume a level of lockdown that does not exist in the real world, and (3) overlook the reality that the shutdowns are so sieve-like that they not be more effective than the social distancing rules that they replaced. I think the shutdowns are more about addressing fear and creating the appearance of action for politicians. The fact that gun shops are deemed essential businesses in many places is Exhibit A in the case for the shutdowns being window dressing. Ditto for the churches and whatever else gets exempted in a lot of places. From what I can see, people don't get serious about a shutdown until people are dying in their neighborhood.

I think we may look back on this and see that we are incurring a tremendous economic penalty for relatively little gain in the fight against the virus. The shutdowns tend to be halfway measures that create an appearance of action without the substance. But they have enough of an effect on the workforce that we still get the economic consequences. Sometimes a compromise solution is no solution at all.

But I've accepted that this is the way we are going to go. As I've said before, at this point it would be hard to persuade a lot of people to go back to work. This is where we are right now. Hopefully, we'll all still be here to argue about the effectiveness issues a couple years from now.

according to fauci and birx, it is lockdown vs 1-2 million dead.

costs for lockdown:
3 trillion
100-200k dead
wall street down 9000 points
the population is very vulnerable to recurrence as only ~10-20 million infected (1% death rate assumption)

costs for no lockdown:
1-2 million dead
wall street effect from hospitals completely overrun and 10x the deaths
economy effect from hospitals completely overrun and 10x the death
the population is much less vulnerable to recurrence because it has achieved or halfway to achieve herd immunity with 100 million to 200 million infected (1% death rate assumption)

Then we're about to get 1-2 million dead, because we sure as hell do not have a lockdown. This is just one of the many flaws in these kinds of "scary numbers." But people just keep repeating scary numbers without much analysis. I expect that the scary numbers that you are citing are subject to all three of the errors listed in my original post.

i dont and i doubt any of us have the real numbers.
so we pretty much have no choice but use the numbers given.
the public health people know what effect the measures are having, even with all the flaws.
and the range given is 100-200k.
we can say churches here and beaches there are not behaving.
but we have no idea how prevalent this is in the big picture.
they did say they update their models based on facts and a lot of the facts are driven by nyc and nj.
so i hope that is pessimistic enough to reflect the real number.
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
I think Fauci is a bit cautious in terms of treatments, but when it comes to the pandemic I'd take his word over 'expertise' of Devin Nunes any day.

nunes and the florida governor belong together

in Sweden?

We shall see how Sweden plays out. They are not testing. When that has happened elsewhere (e.g. UK, and here in our own backyard) they've lived to regret it: UK reversed its policies March 21 or thereabouts; similarly our proven cases blew up when our testing ramped up.

This in and of itself says nothing about when to lift the restrictions, that's a different topic that involves many other factors both medical and economic. What is a MUST is to have reliable data so as to make informed decisions, which I don't see Sweden doing yet. Fortunately the White House now has access to good data and competent professionals who do this for a living so hopefully we will be able to walk this tight-rope as well as we possibly can.

I admire the Swedes...they're cool about their decision.

I hope God bless them and their children.

Did you admire Boris Johnson/UK too for his coolness before he reversed course? Just curious.
On the second part, yes agreed, god bless them and their children.

I admire all people who has the balls to decide for themselves.

This sounds like something Stephen Colbert would say, lol.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I think it's safe to say even if it isn't a 100% lockdown. The suppression we've seen thus far has diminished the spread and limited deaths.

I'm open to the idea there may be a better approach than what we've taken. The problem is, whenever I ask someone who is critical of our current approach what the better alternative is. I'm only met with silence and I dunno's. So it's pretty easy to side with the consensus medical professionals recommend.

Maybe, maybe not. This stuff does not necessarily operate on a linear basis. In other words, getting 10% to stay home does not necessarily translate to a 10% reduction in infection risk. (I mean those terms in an abstract sense. I’m not sure how you would actually measure this.). The benefit might be less, and in fact a lot less. Here’s a big reason why: For the most part, the people who are deemed to be “essential” and thus exempt from the shutdown are also the people who have the highest level of contact with other people. We may be getting office workers and computer programmers to stay home, but the cops, retail workers, food services employees, and the like are often exempt. And then they go home to their quarantined families.

Health professionals are always going to give the most conservative recommendations. I respect that. But from a public policy perspective, it is way too easy to frame this as human life vs. the economy. It’s not that simple. The economic issues can be measured in human life, too.

Anyway, as I keep saying, this is an academic issue. I’ve accepted that we’re going down the road of a shutdown. I am not some lunatic claiming a constitutional right to be free from the shutdown. I happen to be at the office right now because there were client matters that demanded my presence here, but otherwise I’ve been staying home for the last week, and I expect to follow the shutdown instructions for at least another month. I’m a team player in this thing. But that doesn’t stop me from having doubts about whether this is really helping very much.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject:

I am for shelter in place. It's one thing if the virus could live "in the wild" with out a host for an extended period of time, but it can't. So, stay away from it as much as possible... Let it starve and die because no one was risking being its next host.
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
I am for shelter in place. It's one thing if the virus could live "in the wild" with out a host for an extended period of time, but it can't. So, stay away from it as much as possible... Let it starve and die because no one was risking being its next host.

I am as well but they cannot keep people from going outside, at that point it becomes ridiculous. As long as people keep their distance we should be free to go about outdoor adventures: riding bikes hiking, running, parks, etc.
FrankUnderwood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Mamba81 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

I am as well but they cannot keep people from going outside, at that point it becomes ridiculous. As long as people keep their distance we should be free to go about outdoor adventures: riding bikes hiking, running, parks, etc.

Yes, they can force people to stay inside. Trump should have allowed the National Guard to disperse and declare Marshall Law locking everyone down for 3 weeks. Have millions being testing similar to South Korea, Singapore, and Japan. We would have been past the this problem by now. Allowing people to decide for themselves is going to have this continue to grow for many more months causing catastrophic damage to all aspects of life
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Apparently China is firing back up the "wet markets" like this never happened.

Very very frustrating for this observer, are we going to have to do this once a decade due to this behavior?
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject:

FrankUnderwood wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Yes, they can force people to stay inside. Trump should have allowed the National Guard to disperse and declare Marshall Law locking everyone down for 3 weeks. Have millions being testing similar to South Korea, Singapore, and Japan. We would have been past the this problem by now. Allowing people to decide for themselves is going to have this continue to grow for many more months causing catastrophic damage to all aspects of life

Foh
FrankUnderwood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Mamba81 wrote:
FrankUnderwood wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Foh

GFY selish (bleep). Your wack ass bike riding and outdoor activities can wait
FrankUnderwood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Apparently China is firing back up the "wet markets" like this never happened.

Very very frustrating for this observer, are we going to have to do this once a decade due to this behavior?

Just FYI but the first confirmed case of Covid 19 was NOT linked to the wet markets. China is hiding a lot and running a full blow propaganda campaign online including places like Reddit to stifle any negative talk about them.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I think it's safe to say even if it isn't a 100% lockdown. The suppression we've seen thus far has diminished the spread and limited deaths.

I'm open to the idea there may be a better approach than what we've taken. The problem is, whenever I ask someone who is critical of our current approach what the better alternative is. I'm only met with silence and I dunno's. So it's pretty easy to side with the consensus medical professionals recommend.

Maybe, maybe not. This stuff does not necessarily operate on a linear basis. In other words, getting 10% to stay home does not necessarily translate to a 10% reduction in infection risk. (I mean those terms in an abstract sense. I’m not sure how you would actually measure this.). The benefit might be less, and in fact a lot less. Here’s a big reason why: For the most part, the people who are deemed to be “essential” and thus exempt from the shutdown are also the people who have the highest level of contact with other people. We may be getting office workers and computer programmers to stay home, but the cops, retail workers, food services employees, and the like are often exempt. And then they go home to their quarantined families.

Health professionals are always going to give the most conservative recommendations. I respect that. But from a public policy perspective, it is way too easy to frame this as human life vs. the economy. It’s not that simple. The economic issues can be measured in human life, too.

Anyway, as I keep saying, this is an academic issue. I’ve accepted that we’re going down the road of a shutdown. I am not some lunatic claiming a constitutional right to be free from the shutdown. I happen to be at the office right now because there were client matters that demanded my presence here, but otherwise I’ve been staying home for the last week, and I expect to follow the shutdown instructions for at least another month. I’m a team player in this thing. But that doesn’t stop me from having doubts about whether this is really helping very much.

And vice versa. There can't be a healthy economy if the majority of the people working in it are scared for their health.

Sure, it may not be a 1 to 1 ratio of % staying home vs people infected. But that goes both ways. Maybe 10% staying home decreases the infection rate by more than 10%. I remember reading in the other coronavirus thread. Omar was talking about transmission. Per every 1 person infected they can infect X times more people.

I mean just take 1 restaurant for example. If there's no suppression. The restaurant is open. 1 waiter infected can infect all their tables. Those people can infect countless people they are interacting with (since again their is no suppression). And so on and so on. As opposed to now. 1 delivery person for a restaurant may infect who he's delivering food to. But those people are far less likely to infect as many people since they're following suppression.

The name of the game is carriers. You take less carriers out of the public. You eliminate large gatherings. Less people become infected and die exponentially.
With suppression (or incomplete lockdown), we aren't stopping the chain of infection at the beginning, but we're breaking the chain before it branches off exponentially.

I do agree with the part of your point that implies we're choosing between 2 bad choices. The public policy side of things should do their part to make sure people can afford to suppress. But at the end of the day, our fate will be determined by advances in the medical field by those who are the most educated and informed on virology and epidemiology. And if I'm gonna trust them to make the cure (eventually) I'm gonna trust them with the plan of action in the meantime.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Mamba81 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Sorry but people have shown they don't know what the (bleep) social distancing means. It needs to be enforced or we will continue to to see new cases/death rise exponentially.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Quick update from what I've seen over the past week:

- Our hospital volume continues to go up. Opening new floors and ICUs as COVID only.

Meds (because you guys seem to be interested in this stuff):
- Using Hydroxychloroquine on everyone admitted (not on anyone not sick enough to be admitted). Very interested to see what the data will show. Anecdotally, I'm not totally convinced it's doing a whole lot but I have nothing to compare it to because everyone is getting it.
- Have seen quite a few big turnarounds with one dose of Toclizumab. There is a looming shortage.
- Steroids do seem to be working. No shortage of those.
- Remdesivir - Less personal experience than I would have liked. Have friends elsewhere who have reported excellent results.

- A lot of very sick people and older getting better and extubated and recovering.

- We still have enough PPE but we're being creative. Will leave it at that.

- Hospital administration is awful. There is going to be fallout after we are done with this fight.

- I've never hated politicians more than now. But they're not the only ones guilty. Have a friend in the ER who had someone from China and someone else from Italy come to a NYC ER a month ago with cough and fever. the Department of Health told them they did not meet testing criteria for COVID (ie not enough tests at that time) and that there was no evidence to advise those people to self-quarantine. Any question as to how this spread?

- I love NY and New Yorkers more than ever. Lots of creative ways to remain social here. Google Hangouts happy hour and it's more fun than I would have thought.

Sincerely,

Your friendly Manhattan physician.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject:

I thought I put this out there since there is concern about the health care system and hospital being overwhelmed. An email has been sent to health centers and the like below (this may not prevent rationing but it will help)

The State of California understands that people with disabilities are concerned that medical providers might consider an individual’s disability status when determining which patients to treat if hospitals or other health care facilities experience a surge of patients needing life-saving care. This joint bulletin reminds health care providers and payers that rationing care based on a person’s disability status is impermissible and unlawful under both federal and state law.

Full text of the bulletin: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.dhcs.ca.gov_Documents_COVID-2D19_Joint-2DBullletin-2DMedical-2DTreatment-2Dfor-2DCOVID-2D19-2D033020.pdf&d=DwIFaQ&c=LHIwbLRMLqgNuqr1uGLfTA&r=rXu-mJEqr17tdPXpw_BFWyWLP9B3pPAcqk_33ApHc88&m=bRsl0Od7CSuWuuwOdAn7pVoQiW7lRwXYmMa_mBiUw40&s=p1X0LejKQRS7mcC2lWzvUclv0LlgWSQNHgybwrJJqCE&e=
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:

- Our hospital volume continues to go up. Opening new floors and ICUs as COVID only.

- Using Hydroxychloroquine on everyone admitted (not on anyone not sick enough to be admitted). Very interested to see what the data will show. Anecdotally, I'm not totally convinced it's doing a whole lot but I have nothing to compare it to because everyone is getting it.
- Have seen quite a few big turnarounds with one dose of Toclizumab. There is a looming shortage.
- Remdesivir - Less personal experience than I would have liked. Have friends elsewhere who have reported excellent results.

- A lot of very sick people and older getting better and extubated and recovering.

- Hospital administration is awful. There is going to be fallout after we are done with this fight.

- I've never hated politicians more than now. But they're not the only ones guilty. Have a friend in the ER who had someone from China and someone else from Italy come to a NYC ER a month ago with cough and fever. the Department of Health told them they did not meet testing criteria for COVID (ie not enough tests at that time) and that there was no evidence to advise those people to self-quarantine. Any question as to how this spread?

- I love NY and New Yorkers more than ever. Lots of creative ways to remain social here. Google Hangouts happy hour and it's more fun than I would have thought.

Sincerely,

Thank you so much for the update. Nice to hear form an all star Laker

Interesting that steroids are working..I heard an article a while back claiming it made things worse. Although I would think otherwise since like other medications championed, it is anti-inflammatory and inflammation plays a significant role in this virus. Although I was guessing perhaps the weakened immune response would make it worse..but it nice to know that someone is experiencing good results with it.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:

Sincerely,

thanks for the update.
please stay healthy

i am afraid to ask on the ppe.
though wonder if you are making use of microwave ovens...

the steroid and the actemra - you are having a good result. i presume you are using anti-virals at the same time to hold down the virus as you tone down the immune system?
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject:

FrankUnderwood wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
FrankUnderwood wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Foh

GFY selish (bleep). Your wack ass bike riding and outdoor activities can wait

I don't ride bikes. I hoop and run. I'm speaking for the people who do.
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Sorry but people have shown they don't know what the (bleep) social distancing means. It needs to be enforced or we will continue to to see new cases/death rise exponentially.

What harm is it if a family does some outdoors activities together? I mean really. At what point are we being held prisoners with zero freedom all because of a virus we didn't cause. Forcing every single American to stay home 24/7 is just not realistic nor is it fair.
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Also, I can't be the only one wondering how long it'll actually be til we go back to work? If it's really til the end of April, that's fine. But anymore than that and I think many Americans are gonna start struggling financially. My job isn't paying me forever to sit at home. I'm getting a small portion of my normal wage until the end of this month and that's it. Then what? The stimulus check will only help so much. What are we to do if this lockdown lasts 3 more months? I'm sure many Americans won't be able to keep a roof over their heads at that point.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Southern California is way worse than Northern California now, LA had a marathon of 20k people and who knows how many were watching on March 8th.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Mamba81 wrote:
Also, I can't be the only one wondering how long it'll actually be til we go back to work? If it's really til the end of April, that's fine. But anymore than that and I think many Americans are gonna start struggling financially. My job isn't paying me forever to sit at home. I'm getting a small portion of my normal wage until the end of this month and that's it. Then what? The stimulus check will only help so much. What are we to do if this lockdown lasts 3 more months? I'm sure many Americans won't be able to keep a roof over their heads at that point.

Buddy, you are not going anywhere at the end of April. Maybe they will send another round of checks
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Mamba81 wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

What harm is it if a family does some outdoors activities together? I mean really. At what point are we being held prisoners with zero freedom all because of a virus we didn't cause. Forcing every single American to stay home 24/7 is just not realistic nor is it fair.

Life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, without life, the other two doesn’t matter right? Everyone needs to stay at home if we want this to be over with
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:

Sincerely,

Always good to hear from you when you have time to chime in. Very interesting information. I hope they can ramp up the Toclizumab fast if that's working. Stay healthy!
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, without life, the other two doesn’t matter right? Everyone needs to stay at home if we want this to be over with

I should just stay off this forum because clearly nobody sees my perspective and I just end up getting irritated by the responses.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 128, 129, 130  Next
Page 75 of 130
Jump to: